PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Super Bowl Awarded to New York

Kiwon
05-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Ain't Global Warming terrible? An open roof stadium in New York will host the Super Bowl in February.

Now what was the reason the event was hosted by NFL cities in the south or those with domed stadiums?

.................................................. .................................................. ....

NFL awards 2014 Super Bowl to New York in cold-weather Meadowland Stadium

The NFL awarded the 2014 Super Bowl to the New York City area on Tuesday. The game will mark the first time the league brings its showcase event to an outdoor stadium in a cold-weather climate.

New York beat out Miami and Tampa to win the game. The game will be played at the new Meadowlands Stadium, which is set to open this fall as the home of the New York Giants and the New York Jets.

"We're over the top excited," Jets owner Woody Johnson said in an interview on the NFL Network.

NFL owners voted four ballots before awarding the game to New York. Miami was eliminated on the second ballot, which left Tampa and New York to vie head-to-head. To win on the first three ballots, New York would have needed 24 votes from the NFL's 32 owners.

The fourth ballot called for just 17 votes to win.

Giants co-owner John Mara credited Johnson with being the driving force behind the origination of the joint Giants/Jets bid. Mara said he was "a little reluctant" to propose hosting a Super Bowl in the New York area, but added that it was Johnson who convinced him the bid was worthwhile.

The designation of New York as the Super Bowl host city could open the door to more NFL championships being awarded to cold-weather, open-air stadiums. The league waived a rule for New York's bid that requires warm weather or a dome for cities that host the Super Bowl.

But Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder said Tuesday that he wants to bring the Super Bowl to Washington, D.C.

Giants co-owner Steve Tisch said he expects other cities to follow the Jets' and Giants' lead.

"Will other East Coast teams try to do the same? I'm sure they will," Tisch said. "I think we opened the door to a lot of new possibilities."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/05/new-york-super-bowl-2014-nfl-awards/1

red
05-25-2010, 04:42 PM
i'm glad even though i hate NY

football should be played outdoors in the elements and in the cold. dome football should be reserved for the arena football league. and why should the game only be played in warm/hot weather when half the teams in the nfl play in the north with less then ideal weather.

MadScientist
05-25-2010, 04:53 PM
I don't think the league will award another cold-weather SB until after this one is played out, so 2018 at the earliest.

So... 2018 SB - Green Bay!

The biggest game in footballs most hallowed grounds.

Tony Oday
05-25-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't think the league will award another cold-weather SB until after this one is played out, so 2018 at the earliest.

So... 2018 SB - Green Bay!

The biggest game in footballs most hallowed grounds.

Tickets would be in the hundreds of thousands :)

Little Whiskey
05-25-2010, 07:20 PM
you will never see it in greenbay. no way they would be able to accomodate all the people. Notice that it wasn't until New York, the largest of all cold weather site, built a 1.5 billion dollar stadium did they decide to move it outside in the possible cold.

Packers4Ever
05-25-2010, 07:38 PM
you will never see it in greenbay. no way they would be able to accomodate all the people. Notice that it wasn't until New York, the largest of all cold weather site, built a 1.5 billion dollar stadium did they decide to move it outside in the possible cold.

Bummer !!! Although it was pretty much a 'given' that NY would be the
chosen land, don't you think? :roll: And - I understand Broadway
Joe Namath will be a guest + another former (?) NFL star - help me, somebody.....

How many more weeks to Game One, Pre-Season ?? When do we
start our countdown ?? Doesn't Harvey take care of this ?? :P

swede
05-25-2010, 09:53 PM
you will never see it in greenbay. no way they would be able to accomodate all the people.

Green Bay is a resourceful town. They'd find a way to expand accommodations.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/change_of_address_postcard_true_tra.jpg

mraynrand
05-25-2010, 10:05 PM
you will never see it in greenbay. no way they would be able to accomodate all the people.

Green Bay is a resourceful town. They'd find a way to expand accommodations.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/change_of_address_postcard_true_tra.jpg

Isn't that the visitor's locker room?

packerbacker1234
05-25-2010, 10:21 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_football_stadiums_by_capacity

GB is currently the 9th largest venue in the entire NFL.

Current estimations (that list appears out of date) has us teetering between #11 and #10.

Notably, Labeau Field can hold more people than the SB stadium did 2 seasons ago. Aka, put aside the whole "we can't handle the people" - we can. Green Bay may be considered a small town for a NFL team, but teh entire town is all about the NFL. Milwaukee isn't too far away either. Green Bay could DEFINITELY handle the attention, especially since all of wisconsin would basically be helping. The stadium is already legendary in the nfl, state of the art, and were at the top of ticket sales every year. It has the capicity, the legendary atmosphere, and the history to host a SB.

Joemailman
05-25-2010, 10:49 PM

Current estimations (that list appears out of date) has us teetering between #11 and #10.

Notably, Labeau Field can hold more people than the SB stadium did 2 seasons ago. Aka, put aside the whole "we can't handle the people" - we can. Green Bay may be considered a small town for a NFL team, but teh entire town is all about the NFL. Milwaukee isn't too far away either. Green Bay could DEFINITELY handle the attention, especially since all of wisconsin would basically be helping. The stadium is already legendary in the nfl, state of the art, and were at the top of ticket sales every year. It has the capicity, the legendary atmosphere, and the history to host a SB.

The problem in Green Bay isn't the stadium. It's the lack of hotels and night life. In addition, there is the weather. The average high temperature in New Jersey in early February is 45. In Green Bay it's 26. The legendary status of Green Bay doesn't mean a thing to many attending since the Super Bowl is as much an "event" as it is a football game.

packerbacker1234
05-25-2010, 11:05 PM

The problem in Green Bay isn't the stadium. It's the lack of hotels and night life. In addition, there is the weather. The average high temperature in New Jersey in early February is 45. In Green Bay it's 26. The legendary status of Green Bay doesn't mean a thing to many attending since the Super Bowl is as much an "event" as it is a football game.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_far_is_Milwaukee_WI_from_Green_Bay_WI

Milwaukee is not that far away, as I previously stated. In fact, you may be able to get to GB faster than you can get from your Hotel in New York to teh football stadium.

Little Whiskey
05-26-2010, 08:00 AM
If i look a the list of past and future SB sites. The two closest in Population to GB would be Tampa and Minny. If you look at the counties in which those cities reside they have about 400k. Whereas Brown County is only 100k. Which city do you think is better suited to accomodate everything that goes along with a SB?

now instead of looking at the two exceptions, look at the pop's on the other cities. Miami, LA, Houston, San Diego and now New York. Those populations are in the millions. Combine this with the possiblity of bad weather in Greenbay. It will never happen. Like i posted earlier, it took New York (the largest market in the USA) to build a billion dollar stadium in order for that city to get a SB. You'll see a dome over lambeau before you'll see a superbowl in lambeau.

MichiganPackerFan
05-26-2010, 08:15 AM
I remember that when Detroit was trying to build Ford and lure the SB, one of the factors was how many 4+ star hotels were within X miles of the stadium. Green Bay certainly doesn't have that, and I'm not sure Milwaukee does either.

Little Whiskey
05-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Milwaukee is a 2+ hour drive from greenbay on a 2 lane highway. as anybody who has gone to a milwaukee season ticket game knows, its a bitch getting home after the game. I doubt they would consider Milwaukee when they think of the feasiblity of GB to host a SB.

Pugger
05-26-2010, 09:13 AM
If i look a the list of past and future SB sites. The two closest in Population to GB would be Tampa and Minny. If you look at the counties in which those cities reside they have about 400k. Whereas Brown County is only 100k. Which city do you think is better suited to accomodate everything that goes along with a SB?

now instead of looking at the two exceptions, look at the pop's on the other cities. Miami, LA, Houston, San Diego and now New York. Those populations are in the millions. Combine this with the possiblity of bad weather in Greenbay. It will never happen. Like i posted earlier, it took New York (the largest market in the USA) to build a billion dollar stadium in order for that city to get a SB. You'll see a dome over lambeau before you'll see a superbowl in lambeau.

Not to nit-pick but Brown County has a population of around 245,000. The city of GB has around 101,000. :) I agree, a Super Bowl won't happen in GB - it doesn't have the infrastructure or the lodging to accomodate an event like the SB.

get louder at lambeau
05-26-2010, 10:33 AM

Not to nit-pick but Brown County has a population of around 245,000. The city of GB has around 101,000. :) I agree, a Super Bowl won't happen in GB - it doesn't have the infrastructure or the lodging to accomodate an event like the SB.

Not to nit-pick even more but... :wink:

The Tampa metro area is 2.7 million people. The Minneapolis metro area has 3.5 mil. GB metro has about 300,000. Never, ever, ever, ever gonna happen.

packerbacker1234
05-26-2010, 10:40 AM

The NFL could also tell GB that, if we decided to pitch our stadium. Tell us that we need x amount of 4 star hotels in the area for it. If that were the case, I am sure our state would be more then willing to build those hotels if it means hosting a super bowl. Hosting a single Super Bowl you would think is a massive revenue boost that year.

Little Whiskey
05-26-2010, 10:59 AM
I misread the stat i got off citydata.com. I thought they were giving county stats, not just the city stat. my bad. :oops: I should have realized those numbers seemed low for county data. Thats what you get for researching and working at the same time.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Green-Bay-Wisconsin.html

Little Whiskey
05-26-2010, 11:04 AM
The NFL could also tell GB that, if we decided to pitch our stadium. Tell us that we need x amount of 4 star hotels in the area for it. If that were the case, I am sure our state would be more then willing to build those hotels if it means hosting a super bowl. Hosting a single Super Bowl you would think is a massive revenue boost that year.[/quote]

imagine the fan outcry if they dumped lambeau for a superbowl? It would also mean that we would, most likely, need to build a domed stadium. no thanks!

Joemailman
05-26-2010, 11:49 AM

The NFL could also tell GB that, if we decided to pitch our stadium. Tell us that we need x amount of 4 star hotels in the area for it. If that were the case, I am sure our state would be more then willing to build those hotels if it means hosting a super bowl. Hosting a single Super Bowl you would think is a massive revenue boost that year.

And what exactly is Green Bay going to do with all those hotels once the Super Bowl is over?

swede
05-26-2010, 12:02 PM

And what exactly is Green Bay going to do with all those hotels once the Super Bowl is over?

Sell them to Appleton.

ThunderDan
05-26-2010, 12:42 PM

Tell that to Greece about hosting the Olympics.

Little Whiskey
05-26-2010, 01:10 PM

they turned out okay

Tony Oday
05-26-2010, 01:33 PM

they turned out okay

hehe

Scott Campbell
05-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Murph intrigued by a Superbowl in GB?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/26/packers-president-thinks-lambeau-super-bowl-is-very-intriguing/

packerbacker1234
05-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Yeah, obviously it wont happen. It took a new stadium and a city like New York to even get it to happen once, but man I would love to see the ice bowl one more time.

hoosier
05-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah, obviously it wont happen. It took a new stadium and a city like New York to even get it to happen once, but man I would love to see the ice bowl one more time.

Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/NFLs-Greatest-Games-Ice-Bowl/dp/6304570392/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1274919047&sr=8-3

As Andrew Brandt said, the SB in NYC is all about NYC post 9/11. Never happen for any other cold weather, outdoor venue IMO.

packerbacker1234
05-26-2010, 07:24 PM

Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/NFLs-Greatest-Games-Ice-Bowl/dp/6304570392/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1274919047&sr=8-3

As Andrew Brandt said, the SB in NYC is all about NYC post 9/11. Never happen for any other cold weather, outdoor venue IMO.

I know, I've seen it. :)

I don't know if we can ever say it will "never" happen again. It depends on how well it goes. Say it's a snow game, and everyone is just out there having a blast, it gets the highest ratings of any SB... it's going to be hard pressed to not consider an outdoor game again.

I don't even car eif the game has to be NY every time, the fact it's an outdoor game where they could potentionally be snow is more then enough for me.

The Leaper
05-26-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm guessing the outdoor SB experiment is going to be a dud. If the temps plunge, tickets will be going for face value on the street as the rich wimps dive for a cozy nook with an HDTV instead.

Personally, I prefer the Super Bowl to be determined by the players on the field...not the weather conditions. My only beef with the current rotation of sites is that it provides the chance for a home field advantage if a certain team (Saints, Cardinals, Bucs, etc.) makes the Super Bowl in a year they are hosting the SB.

IMO, you make Los Angeles the permanent home of the Super Bowl. The city can't properly support a team on its own...but it is an absolutely perfect place to host a Super Bowl. No potential HFA. The weather is usually ideal there that time of year as well. And Hollywood just goes with the Super Bowl far better than Oneida Bingo and Piggly Wiggly.

Green Bay doesn't need the Super Bowl to be special...so why be SO DESPERATE to have it in our crib?

packerbacker1234
05-26-2010, 08:00 PM

I don't know if we can ever say it will "never" happen again. It depends on how well it goes. Say it's a snow game, and everyone is just out there having a blast, it gets the highest ratings of any SB... it's going to be hard pressed to not consider an outdoor game again.

I don't even car eif the game has to be NY every time, the fact it's an outdoor game where they could potentionally be snow is more then enough for me.

Little Whiskey
05-26-2010, 08:20 PM
The NFL doesn't care a lick about the fans in the stands at the Superbowl. Its all about TV. maybe 75k-85k attend the actual game? But millions actually watch it on tv. Even if every ticket sold for $1000 each that is 85mil. think of what one comercial costs? as someone else said the superbowl is about ratings and tv, not fans in the stands.

packerbacker1234
05-26-2010, 08:23 PM
The NFL doesn't care a lick about the fans in the stands at the Superbowl. Its all about TV. maybe 75k-85k attend the actual game? But millions actually watch it on tv. Even if every ticket sold for $1000 each that is 85mil. think of what one comercial costs? as someone else said the superbowl is about ratings and tv, not fans in the stands.

Exactly. If it's a snow game, the SB, I just think it's going to raise a piss load of interest. Add in hte right combination of teams and circumstances.... thats what it comes down to. If it's the highest ratings of any SB ever, and the dome game before and after had significantly lower ratings, you will see teh NFL bring the SB back outside yet again.

The money is made by the people watching at home, not by the people in the stands.

Little Whiskey
05-26-2010, 08:28 PM
the problem with a "snow" game is that the telecast may suck. poor visablity, sloppy play, and a low scoring game.

packerbacker1234
05-26-2010, 08:30 PM
the problem with a "snow" game is that the telecast may suck. poor visablity, sloppy play, and a low scoring game.

It was a pretty good telecast when the packers last had a playoff snow game in 2007. Today's technology is pretty amazing.

And again, it's about the numbers.

Little Whiskey
05-26-2010, 08:43 PM
remember this beauty?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/Fog_Bowl_1988.jpg

packerbacker1234
05-27-2010, 08:34 AM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008011200/2007/POST19/seahawks@packers/recap/full-story#tab:watch

Things definitely look better today. :)

MadScientist
05-27-2010, 09:09 AM
remember this beauty?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/Fog_Bowl_1988.jpg
Nope never saw it :lol:

hoosier
05-27-2010, 09:21 AM

I didn't say it won't ever happen again, I said it won't happen elsewhere than NYC. Green Bay and Eastern WI does not have anything close to the tourism and transportation infrastructure that would needed to host a SB. And the fact that GB is perceived by many outside of WI as a backwater would make it difficult even if the accomodations and roads were there. TV may well be the 500 lb. gorilla of the Super Bowl, but there is no way the NFL would ever run the risk of designating a host city whose infrastructure would interfere with getting a capacity crowd into its stadium.

3irty1
05-27-2010, 09:48 AM
If it were going to happen for GB it would have had to have been after the stadium renovations.

pbmax
05-27-2010, 09:18 PM
TV loves snow games. Sure, it could snow hard enough to make visibility poor like the Eagles/Bears fog game, but more likely is that people love seeing the game in those conditions. Its always a ratings boost to have a snow game. Now the upward mobility of Super Bowl ratings probably isn't high, so the increase would be small. But people would not turn away from the TV.

As for conditions for the fans, the NFL and Miami got grief for empty seats in the rain for the Miami Super Bowl, but the PR hit was nothing compared to Manning finally winning. Not too hard to overcome.