PDA

View Full Version : Underwood Blurb on SI.com

jack's smirking revenge
08-02-2006, 10:02 AM
MARVIELOUS: With starting strong safety Marquand Manuel sidelined by a calf injury, second-year player Marviel Underwood is practicing with the No. 1 defense.

"I think he showed up, particularly the last two padded practices," McCarthy said. "All the young guys, it's a great opportunity."

Underwood, a fourth-round pick out of San Diego State in 2005, played mostly on special teams and passing downs for the Packers last year. After struggling to master defensive strategy last year, he's having an easier time this year.

"Last year was real fast for me, and now it's slowed down a little bit," Underwood said.

The addition of Manuel, a free agent from Seattle, and the potential of young players such as Underwood allowed the Packers to release disappointing safety Mark Roman before training camp.

McCarthy said Manuel was day-to-day and the team was just being careful in letting him return to practice.

"I visited with him yesterday, and he's champing at the bit to get back," McCarthy said. "But once again, we don't want it to be a long-term deal. We're playing the high side of caution on most of our (injured) veterans."

pittstang5
08-02-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm hearing more about Underwood in the camp reports than I am Nick Collins. I haven't heard one thing about him. Well, sometimes no news is good news.

KYPack
08-02-2006, 10:18 AM
I've always thought Underwood has potential.

I totally hated Roman, his lapses cost us more than one game, but he was experienced. I figured they'd keep him one more season as a back-up. Underwood strikes me as a tad green and I wonder if he can stay on the field. With his size, he may get hurt.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 10:21 AM
With his size, he may get hurt.

Something funny about this. Like sending your kid out for his first Pee Wee football game. I'm not sure small guys get injured more than big guys, in fact the reverse seems to be true.

I was really down on Underwood last year. But I have a "clean slate" policy every summer.

pittstang5
08-02-2006, 10:42 AM
I was really down on Underwood last year.

I was too. I remember one game, can't remember which one though when Collins was taken out of a play and they brought Underwood in. I think the opposing team was in the redzone...well, they got the touchdown and Underwood blew the coverage. I think it was a game that GB could have won.

Granted that was one instance, but I'm sure there were others, just can't remember all of them (Honestly, who would want to remember anything from last year). I wasn't even sure Underwood would even make the team this year unless he had some kind of miraculous turn around. I also didn't think Roman would be gone either. Anywho...looks like Underwood might be ok afterall.

ahaha
08-02-2006, 11:03 AM
True improvement in the NFL comes from guys like this. Analysts always want to point to high draft picks and free agent aquisitions when they pick sleeper teams. But, the teams on the upswing usually have 2nd, 3rd, 4th year, etc. guys who finally develop into quality players. Hopefully, Underwood will be one of those guys for us.

jack's smirking revenge
08-02-2006, 11:05 AM
True improvement in the NFL comes from guys like this. Analysts always want to point to high draft picks and free agent aquisitions when they pick sleeper teams. But, the teams on the upswing usually have 2nd, 3rd, 4th year, etc. guys who finally develop into quality players. Hopefully, Underwood will be one of those guys for us.

Excellent point ahaha! Once your depth goes from quantity to quality, you've got the making of a solid team. (see Pittsburgh)

tyler

K-town
08-02-2006, 11:09 AM
I was too. I remember one game, can't remember which one though when Collins was taken out of a play and they brought Underwood in. I think the opposing team was in the redzone...well, they got the touchdown and Underwood blew the coverage. I think it was a game that GB could have won.

Granted that was one instance, but I'm sure there were others, just can't remember all of them (Honestly, who would want to remember anything from last year). I wasn't even sure Underwood would even make the team this year unless he had some kind of miraculous turn around. I also didn't think Roman would be gone either. Anywho...looks like Underwood might be ok afterall.

Sorry to bring up a sore point, but I'm pretty sure it was the Christmas Day Bear-Packer game. Oop-Aack.
Underwood can redeem himself by running one back this year (90+ yards).

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Deep quote - in your Signature tyler:

" The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici. " tyler Sig.

jack's smirking revenge
08-02-2006, 11:41 AM

" The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

See my "Coming to DVD today" thread in the Romper Room for more information....

Me and Dr. Faust are buddies. Expect anything less from a Demon Rat? :wink:

tyler

Deputy Nutz
08-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Well Underwood is 5'10 197 pounds, that is not that small for a safety. Collins is only 200 pounds. Underwood is a big hitter, and for guys that play or rely on their phyiscal play not knowing the system can really hamper our ability to make tackles.

I really like Underwood, and it was too bad that he didn't have the system down last year, otherwise his phyiscal skills far surpass Roman's, and he would have been a starter in the second half of the season. Manuel has gotten passed Roman, now he has to get passed Underwood.

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 12:39 PM

tyler

:idea: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :?: :idea:

jack's smirking revenge
08-02-2006, 01:20 PM

tyler

I am a bit unclear what that means. It was a great use of icons though.

tyler

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 04:00 PM

tyler

I am a bit unclear what that means. It was a great use of icons though.

tyler

It means in American Indian sign language:

I think - I'm about to learn something, if I can just get through this forest. :mrgreen:

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 04:30 PM
They have American Indian sign language? Damn! I didn't know they broke the sh!t up by country and ethnic group.

the_idle_threat
08-02-2006, 04:37 PM
American Indian sign language ... is that like Muslim Pig Latin?