PDA

View Full Version : PFW: Packers Could Release a Number of Veterans

vince
05-30-2010, 06:34 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/05/30/packers-could-release-number-of-veterans

Our sources in Green Bay would not be shocked if the team released a sizable number of familiar veterans this offseason. Included on the list of potential casualties is eighth-year TE Donald Lee, who is now looking up at Jermichael Finley on the depth chart; sixth-year LB Brady Poppinga, whose pass-rush shortcomings could prove to be his undoing; fifth-year CB-S Jarrett Bush; and fourth-year OT Allen Barbre. We also hear it's almost a given that one of the team's three fullbacks (John Kuhn, Korey Hall or Quinn Johnson) will be sent packing.
I'd be surprised (but not disappointed) to see Poppinga gone considering the lack of experience and depth at OLB.

Brando19
05-30-2010, 06:50 PM
I'd like to keep Lee for the upcoming season until the new guy develops...but the rest of them should have been gone last season. I'd be suprised if Quinn Johnson gets the axe.

The Leaper
05-30-2010, 08:47 PM
I also doubt Lee will be chopped this year...we will likely keep 3 TEs, and he is certain to be one of the 3 best in camp. It isn't like he's ultra-expensive or that we need the cap space. His days in GB probably are numbered...but I expect him to be on the roster in 2010.

Poppinga? He's probably the guy who is most likely to get axed if a veteran LB was to get canned. He's 30 with no remaining upside and very one-dimensional. It isn't like we have a sure-fire youngster to upend the depth chart though. It would be a surprise for a kid to show enough to earn the roster spot IMO. Could happen...but not likely.

Bush should've been a roster cut years ago. Barbre...sure, why not? Add Colledge to the list while you are at it. Now that we have some experience at FB, we probably don't need to stockpile them. Those guys may be fighting for only 2 roster spots at camp.

rbaloha1
05-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Its about time with some of the vets who are on the roster primarily due to special teams play.

Guiness
05-30-2010, 11:08 PM
While I think Lee stays, I would think it's his last year due to Quarless. And if Q is light's out in camp, he could be gone this year.

If he stays, an FB has to go. I just can see us chewing up 6 roster spots between FB and TE!

Barbre's been here for 4 years? Wow. He's a guy I'd be surprised to see make it through camp.

Who's around at WR could be interesting. If there's no drop off in Driver (and no reason to believe there will be) and he remains a starter, are Jones and Nelson a sure thing to make the roster? If Nelson remains the KR, he will be, but if not I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them peddled for a low round choice.

HarveyWallbangers
05-30-2010, 11:44 PM
Jordy is a good player and probably are best kick return. No way he gets peddled for a late round pick. He's also cheap and developing and 2-3 years away from FA.

mraynrand
05-31-2010, 12:00 AM
I don't care much for Chillar, but perhaps that's because the Packers ask too much of him in coverage since they only have one legit safety. Like to see an upgrade there.

bobblehead
05-31-2010, 12:33 AM
I don't care much for Chillar, but perhaps that's because the Packers ask too much of him in coverage since they only have one legit safety. Like to see an upgrade there.

Chillar was forced to play safety/hybrid last year due to the injury/failures at safety. Its unfair to ask a 250+ lb. guy to play safety, even with modifications. We got exposed early last year when Bigby got hurt, yet still skin swears bigby blows.....I think he is a slightly below average starter.

Its no secret that I'm a chillar fan. I actually think there is a chance he plays opposite clay this year....we'll see if I'm crazy or not. In any event I doubt you see him in deep coverage this season (unless things go very wrong).

What about frankenbacker? He was coming on last year and likely makes the minimum (compared to 3 million? for Lee). If he has similar upside to Lee, is better on ST, and was already contributing as a TE last year, does no one but me think he makes the roster?? I could see Finley, Quarless, and Havner without a doubt. I think between Havner and Lee, the salary could very well determine the final roster spot (and ST).

same situation with our other guys on that list. Given that they haven't fulfilled their upside, and younger cheaper guys are coming in who still might develope, I think you go young. If a guy hasn't proven himself a starter by his 5th year, its likely time to cut ties and go with youth.

Lurker64
05-31-2010, 12:45 AM
Nice analysis bobblehead, but I'd have to say that whether or not we can cut Lee is ultimately going to come down to how much Havner and Quarless show as a blocker. Havner was our worst blocking TE last year, Lee was probably our best (though Finley was definitely above average as a blocker). I could easily see them keeping Lee simply because he's a better blocker than the alternatives, but if Havner or Quarless show any promise as blockers, Lee could well be gone.

Bretsky
05-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Down with Bush

And are any of those 3 fullbacks good anyways ? I'd be surprised if Johnson does not make the team but the other two....fall into the who cares category for me

OkayKyle
05-31-2010, 05:03 PM
I know Kuhn is the starter, but look at how much better Grant is when Korey Hall is the fullback. I can't find the stats right now, but is anyone able to look at Grant's yards per rush when Hall is the FB compared to Kuhn? I remember seeing a startling stat last year showing that Grant is much more effective with Hall in - I would hate to see him go.

mission
05-31-2010, 07:54 PM
I know Kuhn is the starter, but look at how much better Grant is when Korey Hall is the fullback. I can't find the stats right now, but is anyone able to look at Grant's yards per rush when Hall is the FB compared to Kuhn? I remember seeing a startling stat last year showing that Grant is much more effective with Hall in - I would hate to see him go.

Pretty sure those stats referred to when Quinn Johnson was in. At least the article I wrote, which was calling for more QJ playing time... numbers were startling.

rbaloha1
05-31-2010, 08:36 PM
QJ is a violent and powerful blocker. Ideal lead blocker. Expect to start with one of the vets released -- probably Kuhn due to Hall's st play.

Lurker64
05-31-2010, 08:52 PM
The fullback situation is complicated, I have no idea who's going to be kept or cut.

Johnson blocks like he's laying down the hammer of god, but he's no threat to run the ball or catch the ball. Last season, he also had trouble getting the hang of the offense, but hopefully this will change. He's definitely someone you want going into the hole ahead of you.

Kuhn is a better blocker than Hall, and our best fullback when it comes to running the ball. Since we don't have a "power back" to speak of, he has often been our short yardage back. He's got pretty limited upside though.

Hall is our best receiving FB, as he can both catch the ball and has a good idea about what to do with it when he has it. He's also a heck of a ST player, and he knows the playbook very well. But he's not a punishing blocker, in fact his blocking isn't regularly much better than "just good enough". He's also struggled with injuries in recent memory.

This will be an interesting battle in camp, let's hope they don't keep three of them again.

The Leaper
05-31-2010, 09:48 PM
Lurker...I pretty much agree with your assessment of the FBs. I really don't see how we can keep 3 of them this year. Previously, the experience wasn't there and our team didn't have the talent level to demand only 2 FBs....but there is no excuse to retain 3 of them this year. There will be talent at another more valuable position available that will force the extra FB spot to be cut.

I'm not sure any one has a foot up on the rest...should be a great camp battle. If I had to bet money on one of the 3 to make the roster, I guess I would go with Kuhn...he can block and tote the rock.

Fritz
06-01-2010, 10:19 AM
I can see them releasing Poppinga only if one of the young pups - the FA's they signed or Obiozor - proves in camp that he's not only adequate as a backup but assignment-sure too. And of course the kid has to be able to play special teams as well or better than Popps.

CaliforniaCheez
06-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Veterans get cut every year. Jobs have to be earned every year.
If it is a tie with a younger lower priced guy, the younger guy gets the job.

Nice that the Packers have a surplus of talent.

I trust that the right decisions will be made. Unfortunately, as a Packer fan some of those players cut I like. It happens every year.

You have to learn to like the new players as much or more.

sharpe1027
06-01-2010, 04:10 PM
How about Brandon Jackson? His time has to be almost up. If the Starks can pick up the blitz and catch the ball, he can take over on third down...

get louder at lambeau
06-01-2010, 05:03 PM
How about Brandon Jackson? His time has to be almost up. If the Starks can pick up the blitz and catch the ball, he can take over on third down...

His time must be almost up why? He's 24 years old.

The Leaper
06-01-2010, 05:05 PM

Brandon Jackson is far and away the best pass blocking RB on our roster...I don't think he's likely to go anywhere until someone steps up as a better 3rd down option at RB. Aaron Rodgers needs at least one RB capable of having his back on passing downs.

Tony Oday
06-01-2010, 06:23 PM
maybe on of the FBs? He isnt a real threat out of the backfield...

sharpe1027
06-01-2010, 09:56 PM

IDK, I was thinking basically because he's going into his fourth year and he hasn't shown much improvement. Being able to pick up the blitz only goes so far. He breaks a few outside and gets some oohs and ahhs because he has more of a burst than Grant, but many of his runs are on passing downs and distances.

His rushing yards have gone down every year since his rookie year, his rookie year was nothing special and his receiving yards have been about the same every year.

2007 Carries: 75 Yards: 267 Catches: 16 Yards: 130
2008 Carries: 45 Yards: 248 Catches: 30 Yards: 185
2009 Carries: 37 Yards: 111 Catches: 21 Yards: 187

I'd say his time to show he's anything more than a average backup is about up. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he's least a possible veteran that could be gone, especially if he gets hurt.

Lurker64
06-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Remember, we're going to keep three running backs. Grant is all-but-guaranteed a spot, so that leaves two for everybody else. Behind Grant, our only running backs are Brandon Jackson, James Starks, Kregg Lumpkin, and Quinn Porter. In order for Jackson to get cut, he's going to need to lose out to two of those guys in camp, which I just can't see happening.

Tony Oday
06-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Remember, we're going to keep three running backs. Grant is all-but-guaranteed a spot, so that leaves two for everybody else. Behind Grant, our only running backs are Brandon Jackson, James Starks, Kregg Lumpkin, and Quinn Porter. In order for Jackson to get cut, he's going to need to lose out to two of those guys in camp, which I just can't see happening.

Starks and Westbrook :)

Gunakor
06-02-2010, 01:28 AM

IDK, I was thinking basically because he's going into his fourth year and he hasn't shown much improvement. Being able to pick up the blitz only goes so far. He breaks a few outside and gets some oohs and ahhs because he has more of a burst than Grant, but many of his runs are on passing downs and distances.

His rushing yards have gone down every year since his rookie year, his rookie year was nothing special and his receiving yards have been about the same every year.

2007 Carries: 75 Yards: 267 Catches: 16 Yards: 130
2008 Carries: 45 Yards: 248 Catches: 30 Yards: 185
2009 Carries: 37 Yards: 111 Catches: 21 Yards: 187

I'd say his time to show he's anything more than a average backup is about up. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he's least a possible veteran that could be gone, especially if he gets hurt.

He was injured for a time last season, which may account for his having so few carries and little to show for them. To add to that, they aren't splitting carries in a way that Jackson has much of a chance to really prove himself. Over the past 2 years Grant has gotten 594 carries to Jackson's 82. If they split carries like that again this season I don't think any new back is going to be much more productive than Jackson has been.

Gunakor
06-02-2010, 01:31 AM

Starks and Westbrook :)

Drafting Starks means we won't get Westbrook. Having Starks means we don't need Westbrook.

It'll be Grant, Jackson, and Starks heading into the season. Lumpkin will probably be a PS candidate if he's healthy and I doubt Porter makes the team.

sharpe1027
06-02-2010, 10:11 AM
He was injured for a time last season, which may account for his having so few carries and little to show for them. To add to that, they aren't splitting carries in a way that Jackson has much of a chance to really prove himself. Over the past 2 years Grant has gotten 594 carries to Jackson's 82. If they split carries like that again this season I don't think any new back is going to be much more productive than Jackson has been.

Chicken or the egg? Are the numbers bad because Jackson doesn't get any carries, or does he not get any carries because he isn't good enough? Maybe a bit of both, but I can't imagine they wouldn't find a way to use him more if they thought he could add something. I was hopeful for him for sometime. Now I'm ready to move on.

Maybe he won't get cut because they don't have anyone to challenge him, but it's hard to forget that he had trouble beating out Wynn for playing time. He hasn't shown much ability to run between the tackles and really hasn't been that much of a receiving threat. I'm glad he can pickup the blitz, but if they find another RB that can play on 3rd downs and a third back that shows something in the return game, I could see Jackson being left out.

Bretsky
06-02-2010, 09:25 PM
When I think of Brandon Jackson the screaming words of "reach" in the draft come out

He was never a guy I look at when I think second round draft pick

For what we use him for he does have some value as a Packer though

Lurker64
06-02-2010, 09:33 PM
When I think of Brandon Jackson the screaming words of "reach" in the draft come out

He was never a guy I look at when I think second round draft pick

For what we use him for he does have some value as a Packer though

Really, though... you should forget about what round a guy was drafted in once he's in the NFL. You should only look at what he has given you, what he's likely to give you, and what he could give you. Jackson's been good enough to stick around and contribute, which is good enough. It's not as though there was a gaggle of running backs in the 2007 draft that actually made major or at least noticeable contributions to the teams that drafted them. That draft had one superstar RB, and a bunch of mediocrity.