PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Underwood and Pat Lee

HarveyWallbangers
06-02-2010, 04:42 PM
It's too early to say these guys will be players, but both are receiving glowing reports--which is better than the alternative. Man, if these guys both mature into solid players, then the cornerback situation looks a lot better.

http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2010/06/02/mccarthy-has-high-praise-for-underwood/

McCarthy Has High Praise For Underwood
Posted by Mike Vandermause

Mike McCarthy’s praise for second-year cornerback Brandon Underwood couldn’t have been much more glowing on Wednesday prior to the Packers’ open OTA practice.

“I think Brandon Underwood would definitely be a candidate for most improved player from Year 1 to Year 2 so far from what I’ve seen,” said McCarthy. “I think he’s really matured in the weight room. He looks very good right now. I know we’re only practicing in shorts and helmets, but I think Brandon Underwood is off to an outstanding spring so far. I’ve been very pleased with what he has shown on film.”

Maybe that helps explain why the Packers didn’t draft a cornerback in the draft, and why the team was willing to shift Will Blackmon from cornerback to safety. Underwood was taken in the sixth round of the 2009 draft and appears to have a bright future in Green Bay, according to McCarthy’s rave reviews.

When told about the good things being said about him by his coaches, Underwood said: “I honestly feel that the coaches care a great deal about their players here and it’s just a blessing to be in this kind of situation.”

pittstang5
06-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Good news to hear. However, didn't Jeremy Thompson always get great reviews during OTAs...up until the pads came on, then he would disappear. Even with that said, my money is on Underwood being the 4th corner behind Woodson, Harris and Williams. There just something I saw in him last year that makes me think he's goiong to be good.

RashanGary
06-02-2010, 04:52 PM
My brother brought this up earlier. He said MM had glowing comments on both. I saw the comments. I thought his comments on Underwood were genuine. I thought his comments on Lee were generic.

I think Josh Bell has a shot too. I haven't given up on him at all and the Underwood praise is giving me a lot of hope. I'd love another Tramon Williams caliber young corner. It makes the situation much less bleak.

Lurker64
06-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Good news to hear. However, didn't Jeremy Thompson always get great reviews during OTAs...up until the pads came on, then he would disappear. Even with that said, my money is on Underwood being the 4th corner behind Woodson, Harris and Williams. There just something I saw in him last year that makes me think he's goiong to be good.

Well, it bears mentioning that what a CB does without pads on bears much more relation to what a CB does with pads on, than it would for a DE or LB. Thompson was a great athlete and very smart, he just wasn't aggressive or physical enough when the pads went on.

get louder at lambeau
06-02-2010, 05:52 PM
I think Josh Bell has a shot too.

What's his deal? Is he injured? I saw that the starting three CBs today were Underwood, Lee, and everyone's hero Jarrett Bush.

pbmax
06-02-2010, 05:58 PM
JSOnline Packer Blog said M3 said:

Pat Lee, everytime he gets on the field he makes plays.

If that is generic then I wish everyone was that generic. Lee's problem is getting on the field healthy. It is not apparently his play, at least this spring.

I'd be more concerned about praise as most improved from Y1 to Y2 when last year he was the "best of several bad" options.

We'll see in camp.

Fritz
06-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Well, yes, we'll see, but my hope is that MM is seeing the maturation in Underwood that was clearly lacking last year. Coaches seemed frustrated with the guy's attitude, and the recent comments imply that he's getting his act together.

So I'm taking this as a positive. Same with comments on Lee.

CaliforniaCheez
06-06-2010, 05:10 AM
Looks like the matuirty thing with Underwood took a stumble.

Hopefully he can recover and get back on track.

Fritz
06-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Yeah, so how about that Pat Lee? What a guy!

That person above who posted about Brandon Underwood using my moniker. That wasn't me. Really.

KYPack
06-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Yeah, so how about that Pat Lee? What a guy!

That person above who posted about Brandon Underwood using my moniker. That wasn't me. Really.

I know.

It's amazing how you can look at these two guys totally differently after only a weekend with no football!

Now Lee looks like St Francis of Assisi and Underwood is the Anti-Christ!

Scott Campbell
06-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Coaches seemed frustrated with the guy's attitude, and the recent comments imply that he's getting his act together.

.......the new curse of Bretsky?

Fritz
06-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Yes, it could be. I'm in on that, somehow. Me and Bretsky and Odell What's his name.