PDA

View Full Version : Dark Horse

RashanGary
06-02-2010, 05:36 PM
My dark horse this year is Josh Bell. Here's why:

Bell came in as an undrafted rookie and started several games for the Broncos. In those games, he recorded 4 pass breakups. I don't have as deep of a memory bank to draw from as many of the extremely elder posters, but I do remember how Blackmon and Tramon Williams developed. Blackmon played hundreds of snaps at corner (mostly nickle, some dime) and never had a pass breakup. Williams came out right away and had pass breakups. To me, breakups show a guy who is attacking the route, attacking the ball and playing with awareness. Bell had pass breakups in his rookie year.

He's a lighter player, not the type you really want in run support, but he might be an ideal nickle/dime player. He's a guy who could excel in coverage.

I like his chances. He's my dark horse this year.

pbmax
06-02-2010, 06:20 PM
He's second team now behind Underwood, Lee and Bush. He played vs. Flynn in practice.

That would make him the seventh CB behind Woodson, Harris and TWill. He has some work to do.

RashanGary
06-02-2010, 06:24 PM
He's second team now behind Underwood, Lee and Bush. He played vs. Flynn in practice.

That would make him the seventh CB behind Woodson, Harris and TWill. He has some work to do.

Yup. That's the definition of, "dark horse."

Fritz
06-03-2010, 06:52 AM
Icebox is a dark horse. He's running in the Belmont on Saturday.

Joemailman
06-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Bell is probably best remembered for giving up the TD pass to Wallace against the Steelers. However, I think that was a case of unfamiliarity with the defense causing him to not know where his help was. He's probably about even right now with Lee and behind Underwood. He's probably ahead of Bush, but may have to show some ST prowess if he wants to make the team.

get louder at lambeau
06-03-2010, 09:50 AM
He's probably about even right now with Lee and behind Underwood. He's probably ahead of Bush,

As pbmax mentioned above, right now with Harris, Woodson, and Tramon not at OTAs, the guys seeing the field with the first team are Lee and Underwood, with Bush at nickle. So, he's behind them all right now.

Fritz
06-03-2010, 12:34 PM
But does it mean much at this point? I mean, isn't Brady Poppinga lined up with the starters at the moment?

packerbacker1234
06-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Bell is probably best remembered for giving up the TD pass to Wallace against the Steelers. However, I think that was a case of unfamiliarity with the defense causing him to not know where his help was. He's probably about even right now with Lee and behind Underwood. He's probably ahead of Bush, but may have to show some ST prowess if he wants to make the team.

Thing is, Bell was actually in great position on that play. It was one hell of a perfect pass and perfect catch by the WR. Bell had him blanketed, and I believe there was a blown coverage over teh top for his help right? Something like that.

I am not really "hating" on bell - naturally you expect a player like Woodson and Harris (upper echlon, elite corners) to make that play, but I am not going to hate on Bell for it. He had himself in position and just couldn't make the needed play.

So, a dark horse? Why not?

3irty1
06-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Bell to me is the guy you get who is tough to get rid of in camp because although his ceiling is low, his floor is pretty high. Bell was also really the only Dom Capers style CB on the roster. He's definitely not the usual mold of a TT CB.

Scott Campbell
06-04-2010, 08:55 AM

Thing is, Bell was actually in great position on that play. It was one hell of a perfect pass and perfect catch by the WR. Bell had him blanketed, and I believe there was a blown coverage over teh top for his help right? Something like that.

I am not really "hating" on bell - naturally you expect a player like Woodson and Harris (upper echlon, elite corners) to make that play, but I am not going to hate on Bell for it. He had himself in position and just couldn't make the needed play.

Once you're in the end zone the way he was, I think the only thing you can do is make a play on the ball. Bell looked like he was just playing the man.

get louder at lambeau
06-04-2010, 09:08 AM

Once you're in the end zone the way he was, I think the only thing you can do is make a play on the ball. Bell looked like he was just playing the man.

He played it well enough that anything but a perfect throw wouldn't work. Unfortunately, it was a perfect throw.

Tony Oday
06-04-2010, 02:51 PM
I think Brady Poppigna is going to have a breakout year...8 sacks and a ton of tackles!

Fritz
06-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Brady seems like a great guy but he already had his breakout year. He had 9 tackles and a half a sack.

Joemailman
06-04-2010, 06:43 PM
This could be Fergy's breakout year - with the Omaha Nighthawks.

Freak Out
06-04-2010, 07:29 PM
What this team needs is a Zombo to make the cut......he's my dark horse candidate.

mission
06-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Ive always kinda liked Bell, especially after giving up that TD to the Steelers. Sounds strange to say that but I thought it was good coverage at a crucial time for a young guy. You could see a certain level of awareness and urgency-of-the-moment, but like you guys said, it took a perfect throw.

Can't say he'll end up beating out Bush but I sure would like him to! :D

BlueBrewer
06-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Ive always kinda liked Bell, especially after giving up that TD to the Steelers. Sounds strange to say that but I thought it was good coverage at a crucial time for a young guy. You could see a certain level of awareness and urgency-of-the-moment, but like you guys said, it took a perfect throw.

And a phenominal fingertip toe tap catch if I remember right.

Joemailman
06-05-2010, 07:22 PM

And a phenominal fingertip toe tap catch if I remember right.

http://www.afcnorthtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Mike-Wallace-Touchdown-Catch-ESPN.jpg