PDA

View Full Version : Breno Fluff and other Updates

Bretsky
06-03-2010, 07:46 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/95479704.html

Scott Campbell
06-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Finally some news. So what if it's fluff.

mraynrand
06-03-2010, 08:38 AM
End Justin Harrell also sat out as the Packers bring him back slowly from back woes.

*SIGH*

Fritz
06-03-2010, 08:47 AM
I kind of thought that at first about Harrell, but then I reasoned that there is no sense in the team taking any chances at this point. If sitting him out gives him another six weeks to rest his back and further heal, why not?

We'll find out in training camp if the guy can hold up.

Bretsky, I'm with you. A fluff piece, for sure. I'm hoping for a fluff piece on Jarrett Bush next.

KYPack
06-03-2010, 08:57 AM
This might have been the best bit of news in that article...

"Former Packers center Mike Flanagan has joined the team as a coaching intern."

Flanny was a good center and played a few other line positions in his time. He might know a trick or two that evaded our other line coaches.

Fritz
06-03-2010, 01:03 PM
This might have been the best bit of news in that article...

"Former Packers center Mike Flanagan has joined the team as a coaching intern."

Flanny was a good center and played a few other line positions in his time. He might know a trick or two that evaded our other line coaches.

You mean like how to coach 'em up?

bobblehead
06-04-2010, 12:40 AM
I read a MM comment on Breno "he is a very powerful man". It says volumes in simplicity. MM obviously sees immense potential, but he must be frustrated that its not coming through. He didn't say anything about his skills or practices....just that he is very powerful.

That kind of comment usually is saying "man, he is so powerful, but the dumb ass can't figure out how to use it".

Lurker64
06-04-2010, 01:00 AM
The offensive line battle is going to be one of the most interesting ones in camp, from a pure numbers perspective.

We'll keep 9-10 of them.

You've got five guys who were starters at the end of last year, and will likely all be back: Clifton, Colledge, Wells, Sitton, Tauscher.

You've got two guys who are young and are probable future starters/key backups: Bulaga, Lang

You've got two guys who have really high ceilings but nothing to show for it, and are close to their last chance: Barbre, Giacomini.

You've got two young guys with a lot of potential and a fair shot to make the roster: Dietrich-Smith, Newhouse.

You've got one guy who was a starter but is coming back from season ending injury: Spitz.

You've got two camp bodies/PS candidates: Nick McDonald and Chris Campbell.

Ignoring the camp bodies for a minute, you've got 12 guys and are going to cut 2-3 of them. Clifton, Colledge, Sitton, Tauscher, Lang, and Bulaga are absolutely safe. Spitz and Wells are both very probably safe. That accounts for 8 of the 9-10 spots. So Newhouse, Barbre, and Giacomini are competing for 1-2 spots. Probably we will keep two centers, so EDS will need to beat out either Spitz or Wells to keep his job, but we might keep three again.

If Barbre or Giacomini show anything in TC or the preseason, I wouldn't be surprised if we get another Tony Moll for Derrick Martin kind of trade at the end of camp.

3irty1
06-04-2010, 08:47 AM
The offensive line battle is going to be one of the most interesting ones in camp, from a pure numbers perspective.

We'll keep 9-10 of them.

You've got five guys who were starters at the end of last year, and will likely all be back: Clifton, Colledge, Wells, Sitton, Tauscher.

You've got two guys who are young and are probable future starters/key backups: Bulaga, Lang

You've got two guys who have really high ceilings but nothing to show for it, and are close to their last chance: Barbre, Giacomini.

You've got two young guys with a lot of potential and a fair shot to make the roster: Dietrich-Smith, Newhouse.

You've got one guy who was a starter but is coming back from season ending injury: Spitz.

You've got two camp bodies/PS candidates: Nick McDonald and Chris Campbell.

Ignoring the camp bodies for a minute, you've got 12 guys and are going to cut 2-3 of them. Clifton, Colledge, Sitton, Tauscher, Lang, and Bulaga are absolutely safe. Spitz and Wells are both very probably safe. That accounts for 8 of the 9-10 spots. So Newhouse, Barbre, and Giacomini are competing for 1-2 spots. Probably we will keep two centers, so EDS will need to beat out either Spitz or Wells to keep his job, but we might keep three again.

If Barbre or Giacomini show anything in TC or the preseason, I wouldn't be surprised if we get another Tony Moll for Derrick Martin kind of trade at the end of camp.

Fritz
06-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Good post, Lurk. It does seem that Newhouse, Barbre, Giacomini and EDS are fighting for maybe two spots.But if that's so, and since Barbre and Giaco are right tackles and EDS and Newhouse seem to be inside guys, the battle might break down further.

Despite my hatred of Dall-ass, I always did like Robert Newhouse. (And Walt Garrison. Anybody remember "Hi I'm Walt Garrison, and I don't smoke. But I still get that pure tobacco pleasure...?).

So I'm pulling for Newhouse, just for that.

Is it that Giaco can't get enough bend? And what would Barbre have to do to prove himself? The problem seemed to be that he couldn't adjust to the more complicated regular season defenses.

KYPack
06-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Good post, Lurk. It does seem that Newhouse, Barbre, Giacomini and EDS are fighting for maybe two spots.But if that's so, and since Barbre and Giaco are right tackles and EDS and Newhouse seem to be inside guys, the battle might break down further.

Despite my hatred of Dall-ass, I always did like Robert Newhouse. (And Walt Garrison. Anybody remember "Hi I'm Walt Garrison, and I don't smoke. But I still get that pure tobacco pleasure...?).

So I'm pulling for Newhouse, just for that.

Is it that Giaco can't get enough bend? And what would Barbre have to do to prove himself? The problem seemed to be that he couldn't adjust to the more complicated regular season defenses.

Robert Newhouse love, eh Fritz?

There's a blast from the past.

Jocko is an interesting case. I saw quite a few UL games when he was a senior. He was a big, strong, clumsy bugger with little idea how to play his position. Brohm spent that season running for his life, trying to lash together an offense. Jocko was as much a part of the problem as the solution. He's a big kid, but has little of the skill and training for the job.

He can drive block and pass block other big guys. Speed rushers and move men give him fits. He is your classic "project" kind of kid. This year has to be the season that the Pack decide whether he stays or goes. He could well be the guy who bounces around for a few more seasons and finally makes it someplace.

Will that be GB?

Who knows.

Fritz
06-04-2010, 01:00 PM
On the one hand it would be a shame to have let this kid take up a roster spot the last year without contributing, only to have him blossom somewhere else. On the other hand, how long can the Packers wait? There may be too much talent on the o-line (did I really type that?) to afford Jocko a spot any more.

swede
06-04-2010, 01:01 PM
On the one hand it would be a shame to have let this kid take up a roster spot the last year without contributing, only to have him blossom somewhere else. On the other hand, how long can the Packers wait? There may be too much talent on the o-line (did I really type that?) to afford Jocko a spot any more.

it's not so much talent as..."Next!"

Fritz
06-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Doesn't Barbe seem left out of every conversation about the o-line? I wonder if he even wants to bother to show up.

Lurker64
06-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Doesn't Barbe seem left out of every conversation about the o-line? I wonder if he even wants to bother to show up.

Barbre is a hell of an athlete. He had the second best OL workout at the combine ever (behind Bruce Campbell this year), and I'd be willing to bet his college tape was probably better than Campbell's (going to a DII school if it wasn't, he'd never have been drafted.) He's by all accounts a hard worker as well. The only reasons that he hasn't been able to succeed in the NFL to this point are all in his head. Not only is his technique shaky, and he's far from assignment sure, but the kid gets discouraged and responds to bad plays by playing worse. Our coaches have compounded the problem by trying to teach him multiple positions. It's not really clear whether he can handle one of the easy positions if that's all he has to focus on, let alone two at once.

A really good OL coach might be able to take him on as a reclamation project, and shape him into a middle-of-the-road player. I don't think we have one of those though.

hoosier
06-04-2010, 01:35 PM

Barbre is a hell of an athlete. He had the second best OL workout at the combine ever (behind Bruce Campbell this year), and I'd be willing to bet his college tape was probably better than Campbell's (going to a DII school if it wasn't, he'd never have been drafted.) He's by all accounts a hard worker as well. The only reasons that he hasn't been able to succeed in the NFL to this point are all in his head. Not only is his technique shaky, and he's far from assignment sure, but the kid gets discouraged and responds to bad plays by playing worse. Our coaches have compounded the problem by trying to teach him multiple positions. It's not really clear whether he can handle one of the easy positions if that's all he has to focus on, let alone two at once.

A really good OL coach might be able to take him on as a reclamation project, and shape him into a middle-of-the-road player. I don't think we have one of those though.

Didn't Barbre come close to hitting the single digits on his Wonderlic? That might not be the be all end all measure of football intelligence but it sure ain't good.

Fritz
06-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Our offensive line coaches seem to coach 'em down.

retailguy
06-04-2010, 06:08 PM

Didn't Barbre come close to hitting the single digits on his Wonderlic? That might not be the be all end all measure of football intelligence but it sure ain't good.

It was an 11. Lowest of the top 25 linemen in his draft.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/29367324.html

Joemailman
06-04-2010, 06:15 PM

11, to be exact. For an offensive lineman, that's really low. It may say something about intelligence, but also something about his ability to maintain composure once he starts feeling pressure.

hoosier
06-04-2010, 06:29 PM

11, to be exact. For an offensive lineman, that's really low. It may say something about intelligence, but also something about his ability to maintain composure once he starts feeling pressure.

Composure in test taking means remembering that when in doubt choose option "C". :lol: