PDA

View Full Version : Al Harris

Joemailman
06-03-2010, 09:31 AM
A sobering, yet hopeful story on the extent of what Harris is facing as he tries to come back from his injury. Most guys don't come back from this, but few are as tough as Al Harris. We'll see. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/95477594.html

vince
06-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Regardless of how well he plays upon his return, my already-positive perception of Al Harris has gone way up this offseason.

Freak Out
06-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Amazing....what didn't he destroy in that knee?

Fritz
06-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Regardless of how well he plays upon his return, my already-positive perception of Al Harris has gone way up this offseason.

Vince, I was thinking the same thing. That guy just kicks ass.

Dude might be great coaching material when the playing days are over, too.

Tony Oday
06-03-2010, 07:03 PM
If he doesnt come back what the H do we do?

Lurker64
06-03-2010, 07:46 PM
If he doesnt come back what the H do we do?

Hope that either Pat Lee or Brandon Underwood can blossom into a capable nickel?

The real problem with the pass defense last year was not the dropoff from the #2 CB to the #3 CB at the beginning of the season, but the dropoff from he #3 to the #4. When one of the top 3 guys went down, we were in trouble. It's entirely possible that either Underwood or Lee could, at least, prove to be a more capable corner than Jarret Bush was last year.

Joemailman
06-03-2010, 08:12 PM
In 2008, Harris missed 6 games with a ruptured spleen. Tramon moved to CB and Blackmon moved to nickel. Opposing QB's had the following stats:

97-186, 986 yards, 7 TD's, 11 INT's. 135 points given up. Team was only 2-4 in that stretch, but it wasn't due to the pass defense. As Lurker points out, what matters is how well the guy replacing Trampn at nickel plays.

Tony Oday
06-03-2010, 08:13 PM
how about 2009?

Joemailman
06-03-2010, 08:49 PM
In 2009, Bell, Bush and Underwood weren't good enough. Bell wasn't familiar with the defense, Underwood wasn't ready, and Bush just isn't good enough. This year looks better, assuming the Packers don't lose 3 CB's to season ending injuries again.

Tony Oday
06-03-2010, 08:53 PM
In 2009, Bell, Bush and Underwood weren't good enough. Bell wasn't familiar with the defense, Underwood wasn't ready, and Bush just isn't good enough. This year looks better, assuming the Packers don't lose 3 CB's to season ending injuries again.

So you are saying we have one more year of seasoning with our guys and if Harris doesnt play we are ok? I would respectfully say we are as they say in Ebonics: We be F*cked.

Of course since I say that Lee will be a freaking stud with Underwood rocking the dime and T will looking like Harris of old ;)

bobblehead
06-03-2010, 09:16 PM

So you are saying we have one more year of seasoning with our guys and if Harris doesnt play we are ok? I would respectfully say we are as they say in Ebonics: We be F*cked.

Of course since I say that Lee will be a freaking stud with Underwood rocking the dime and T will looking like Harris of old ;)

He is saying that if Blackmon, Lee, AND Harris are all MIA then we be fucked.

Tony Oday
06-03-2010, 09:42 PM

He is saying that if Blackmon, Lee, AND Harris are all MIA then we be fucked.

lol I see :) All recovering from injuries :)

Lurker64
06-03-2010, 09:54 PM

Well, to be fair, Pat Lee was totally recovered from his injury in early October. I'm pretty sure we just stashed him on IR so we didn't have to cut him, or somebody else to keep him.

Also, in terms of being F*cked as you say without better pass defense. We could just fix this if the offense takes another step forward. Last year against Pittsburgh and Arizona we showed we could keep up with teams in a shootout, we just were unsuccessful at scoring last in each of those games. That's presumably fixable.

gbgary
06-03-2010, 10:00 PM
al's an inspiration. they don't come any tougher, classier, or more determined.

mission
06-03-2010, 10:03 PM

Well, to be fair, Pat Lee was totally recovered from his injury in early October. I'm pretty sure we just stashed him on IR so we didn't have to cut him, or somebody else to keep him.

That's exactly what happened. I recall reading somewhere that Lee was pretty bummed out about being on IR since he really didn't have one of "those kind" of injuries. It was just a numbers situation; unfortunate for him.

packerbacker1234
06-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Guy is just a class act - every player in the NFL should be aspiring to be Al harris. A lesser person would gave up after the doctors told him what needed to be done and the very slim chance he could ever play again.

Al toughed it out, worked his ass off, and is on track to be back on the field sometime before week 1. He is beating all the odds right now, and a man of his determination and character deserves this sort of come back. If he has a good season this year, he has to be comeback player of the year.

I don't know if Al can be the Al of old, but I know he fully expects to be. He would not be doing everything he is doing now if he was not determined to be every bit of what he was, if not better.

We are so lucky to have such classy guys on our team. Both Harris and Woodson are examples of what every team wants to have. Both talked of highly around the league by players and coaches alike, not just for what they do on the field but for what they do off.

Harris, I wish you all the success you are hoping to find this year, and the rest of your career and life. I will be purchasing as Al Harris jersey this season just to show my appreciate for what you are putting yourself through for this team.

bobblehead
06-04-2010, 12:19 AM

Also, in terms of being F*cked as you say without better pass defense. We could just fix this if the offense takes another step forward. Last year against Pittsburgh and Arizona we showed we could keep up with teams in a shootout, we just were unsuccessful at scoring last in each of those games. That's presumably fixable.

Also an improved pass rush....however we accomplish it, would make bush and company look better.

Fritz
06-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Lots of folks hoping Bush is not with the company this year.

get louder at lambeau
06-04-2010, 10:48 AM

And lots of folks will likely be disappointed yet again.

bobblehead
06-04-2010, 12:02 PM

I've been of that opinion every year, but I think this is his swan song. I think he showed us for sure last year that he is a ST guy only, and their aren't many roster spots for guys like that.

get louder at lambeau
06-04-2010, 12:06 PM

I've been of that opinion every year, but I think this is his swan song. I think he showed us for sure last year that he is a ST guy only, and their aren't many roster spots for guys like that.

I don't know about that. He filled in at both CB and safety as well as playing special teams last year. Besides the Pittsburgh game, he played OK for the most part, and he just turned 26 a couple weeks ago. I doubt the Packers have given up on him like many fans have. He should just be entering his prime.

Joemailman
06-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Fluff piece on Pat Lee and Underwood. http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100603/PKR07/100603105/1058/PKR01/Mike-Vandermause-column--Packers-put-faith-in-young-cornerbacks

If just one of these guys come through, Pack should be okay. If both come through, CB could be a real strength.

wist43
06-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Be surprised if Lee came around, but I'm hoping for some production out of Underwood. If Harris finally loses that step he can't afford to lose, and we suffer any injuries whatsoever at CB - we'll be in big trouble.

CB is a major problem, and TT did nothing to help the position.

Joemailman
06-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Somebody get Wist some Kool-Aid! :lol:

Freak Out
06-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Be surprised if Lee came around, but I'm hoping for some production out of Underwood. If Harris finally loses that step he can't afford to lose, and we suffer any injuries whatsoever at CB - we'll be in big trouble.

Finally loses that step? Harris may never start a game for the Packers again no matter how hard the guy rehabs.

wist43
06-04-2010, 07:29 PM

Finally loses that step? Harris may never start a game for the Packers again no matter how hard the guy rehabs.

I'm assuming he comes back...

Harris had marginal speed to begin with... he got by on technique, toughness and smarts. If he loses any more speed, he's done; and our CB corp is in big trouble - witness the Arizona game.

wist43
06-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Somebody get Wist some Kool-Aid! :lol:

Hey, I'm giddy with Kool-Aid these days... Even with TT's excessively long sighted view, we may have a chance. I doubt we can with it all, but we're not far off from being in the conversation.

RashanGary
06-04-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm with Wist. I have some hope for Underwood still. Bell, I think maybe he can be a decent nickle or dime back.

Lee, I don't have much hope for, but who knows. We'll see how it pans out.

CB is a pretty big question mark going into the year. Everyone keeps saying, "It's going to be better", but how do we know. The guys who are replacing the guys who sucked, we know nothing about. Who's to say it's going to be better? Blackmon sucks. Lee we have no clue and Underwood didn't do anything well last year. We have no clue. I'm hopeful, but that's all it is. I wouldn't call it optimistic, not by any stretch.

mission
06-04-2010, 08:37 PM
I think the biggest thing that people are somehow channeling to the CB situation is this: Matt Giordano won't be on the field for the second half of the most important game of the season.

Everything trickles down... solidifying the safety position will go miles in improving our pass defense. That shit was a joke last year.

Don't even get me started on Jarrett Bush covering slot receivers/#3s. I don't think we'll let that happen again; MM might be slow but he's not a complete moron.

RashanGary
06-04-2010, 11:46 PM
I went back and looked at Pat Lee's college experience. I remember he only started one full season in college.

He had a lot of pass breakups though. I'm a big fan of CB's who break up a lot of passes. It shows confidence and assertiveness when they attack routes.

Who knows? Between Lee and Underwood, there's a chance we have one solid player. Then Harris. . . .

It's not a forgone conclusion that they'll stink, but it's no guarantee that they won't stink either.

mraynrand
06-05-2010, 06:25 AM
. Even with TT's excessively long sighted view, we may have a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA&feature=related