PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers on Tony K

KYPack
06-08-2010, 10:32 AM
ARod ain't a Tony Kornheiser fan to say the least.

This from ESPN radio...

"In an interview with ESPN Radio in Milwaukee, Rodgers went off on Kornheiser and said he was embarrassingly unprepared for his job.

"You know who was better than Tony Kornheiser? Dennis Miller was ten times better," Rodgers said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. "Dennis Miller was a great comedian, but one of the worst Monday Night Football guys ever. And he was ten times better than Tony Kornheiser. His stuff was actually funny. Tony wasn't funny at all. He did absolutely no research. We'd sit in those production meetings and he would add absolutely nothing to the conversation. I'd be like, 'What are we doing here? This is stupid.'"

Scott Campbell
06-08-2010, 10:36 AM
I agree with his comments. Miller > Kornheiser.

channtheman
06-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Is there an actual audio file to go along with that somewhere? I'd like to take a listen if there is.

Scott Campbell
06-08-2010, 12:21 PM
http://www.stationcaster.com/stations/wauk/media/mpeg/Aaron_Rodgers_Packers_quarterback_6_7_10_Homer-1275953535.mp3

billy_oliver880
06-08-2010, 01:27 PM
So he is voicing what alot of other people think? Hope this doesn't come back to bite him just cause he is honest.

hawaii50
06-08-2010, 01:31 PM
thanks for that link! man, arod was ripping on whoever that host was. that's the most blunt i've ever heard him. i don't listen to that radio show because i'm not in the area, but he really rips on that host along with tony k. gotta love arod's confidence, good stuff!

who is the host he's ripping on?

BF4MVP
06-08-2010, 02:04 PM
thanks for that link! man, arod was ripping on whoever that host was. that's the most blunt i've ever heard him. i don't listen to that radio show because i'm not in the area, but he really rips on that host along with tony k. gotta love arod's confidence, good stuff!

Steve "The Homer" True..Known for being the radio voice of Marquette basketball

Scott Campbell
06-08-2010, 02:06 PM
I think he sounds like a guy with a chip on his shoulder, and a lot to prove.

packerbacker1234
06-08-2010, 03:37 PM
I think he sounds like Aaron Rodgers. Trying really hard to not toot his own horn in any regard, while not shying away that he is a pretty good QB.

Brando19
06-08-2010, 03:40 PM
That link only lets me hear about 15 seconds of the interview. :(

Scott Campbell
06-08-2010, 03:53 PM
I think he sounds like Aaron Rodgers. Trying really hard to not toot his own horn in any regard, while not shying away that he is a pretty good QB.

You don't think he's still a little ticked at Jawarski for questioning his mechanics before the draft? You don't think that his comments about neither him or Romo having won a playoff game yet speaks to the chip on his shoulder?

I sure do.

I strongly suspect that Aaron is carrying around more that he needs to get off his chest. One of these days, when he has enough political capital, I expect that he's going to open up on his predecessor. And his predecessor is going to wish he was Tony Kornheiser.

Fritz
06-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Tony Kornholer was the most pompous, least knowledgeable announcer I've ever listened to. Dog farts are more knowledgeable - and funnier - than Tony Kornholer.

vince
06-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Any chance Rodgers is saying these controversial things to draw attention away from his teammates? That'd be good leadership if so...

hawaii50
06-08-2010, 04:57 PM
I strongly suspect that Aaron is carrying around more that he needs to get off his chest. One of these days, when he has enough political capital, I expect that he's going to open up on his predecessor. And his predecessor is going to wish he was Tony Kornheiser.

Totally agree. This is the first time i've heard him open up and speak honestly. Two years ago and even one year ago you wouldn't hear him say anything that openly. He'd go the pc route and say "no comment" or something. Now that he's got some clout behind him, you can start to see his true feelings coming out and he's not afraid of what people might say.

Without a doubt he sounds like a guy with a chip on his shoulder, and to me there's nothing wrong with that. He definitely views himself as an elite qb, and he's out to shove it in all the naysayer's faces. What I would pay to hear his open honest opinion on number 4.

Scott Campbell
06-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Any chance Rodgers is saying these controversial things to draw attention away from his teammates? That'd be good leadership if so...

I thought about that too. It was interesting timing.

BF4MVP
06-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Totally random, and not that it matters, but Rodgers was wrong when he said neither he nor Romo had won a playoff game yet..Romo beat the Eagles pretty handily in the Wild Card round this year. Easily forgotten because they got spanked so badly by Minnesota, but still...

Scott Campbell
06-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Totally random, and not that it matters, but Rodgers was wrong when he said neither he nor Romo had won a playoff game yet..Romo beat the Eagles pretty handily in the Wild Card round this year. Easily forgotten because they got spanked so badly by Minnesota, but still...

Go ahead and put another chip on his shoulder. :lol:

Iron Mike
06-08-2010, 05:57 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Aaron-Rodgers-Still-unimpressed-with-ESPN?urn=nfl,246594

RashanGary
06-08-2010, 06:14 PM
I agree with a couple of things SC said in here but have a slightly different spin on the chip on his shoulder.

I think he's tired of hearing know nothing journalists spit vitriol about the job him and his teammates are doing, so he's giving it back. The, "hopefully they hire somebody who knows what they're saying to take your job" and "you suck" comments were pretty classic.

I think it is a good idea that sports guys come out and trash the bad media. They should not get free passes on their idiocy.

And then there is the stuff on #4. I don't think Rodgers will ever open up about his predecessor, but if AR gets a ring or two, I think he'll point to those as the only success that matters and that in itself is a monster slap in the face to #4.

RashanGary
06-08-2010, 06:16 PM
I happen to agree with AR's take on Mike Tirico. That guy is very accurate, reliable and when he has an opinion, very, very right a shocking amount of the time. I miss him on the radio.

pbmax
06-08-2010, 07:06 PM
My first question is why is he having this conversation now?

My second question is how did I not know Aaron Rodgers was having a twitter fight with Todd McShay before the draft:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Aaron-Rodgers-wants-Todd-McShay-to-show-his-work;_ylt=AoqTkkrQfqZkt0XGIQHe61HSrYZ4?urn=nfl,241 099

The most obvious reason Rodgers would hold a grudge against Kornheiser, outside of production meetings that the public knows about, is that Kornheiser kept harping on letting Favre go and keeping Rodgers as a questionable decision all through 2008. Even his broadcast partners told TK to let it go. I doubt that sat well with Team Rodgers.

Wilbon, TKs partner on PTI, is also the one who gave birth to someone's signature for a while: "I am Ted Thompson, and I am smarter than everyone else".

pbmax
06-08-2010, 07:08 PM
I happen to agree with AR's take on Mike Tirico. That guy is very accurate, reliable and when he has an opinion, very, very right a shocking amount of the time. I miss him on the radio.
Tirico is vanilla pudding to me. For a play by play guy he speaks a tremendous amount and adds little. On the NFL telecasts, I thought he was also trying to shoehorn in statistical anomalies when there was no time to do it in a three man booth.

He is the anti-Summerall.

Lurker64
06-08-2010, 07:46 PM
My second question is how did I not know Aaron Rodgers was having a twitter fight with Todd McShay before the draft:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Aaron-Rodgers-wants-Todd-McShay-to-show-his-work;_ylt=AoqTkkrQfqZkt0XGIQHe61HSrYZ4?urn=nfl,241 099

This is great. I think everybody who knows anything about scouting, the draft, and college football knows that McShay is full of shit. Hell, the guys at College Gameday on ESPN watch more tape on college players than McShay does.

The fact that ESPN gives McShay such a pedestal is beyond me. Kiper is kind of ridiculous, but he at least does his legwork and knows a thing or two. Well, at least the old Kiper who wasn't afraid to criticize people...

The Leaper
06-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Tirico is a solid play-by-play guy. His problem is what Aaron Rodgers identified...Kornhole doesn't bring anything to the telecast except a couple stupid lines of sarcasm. Tirico often has to try to bring the banter back on subject after Kornhole goes off on a wild goose chase, which is why he seems yappy.

Tirico was boring as hell on the radio though...he's too vanilla for a medium where you need to be more outrageous to drive the meter. Here in Columbus, our late afternoon sports guys laugh about how low Tirico's ratings were when he was on and how many phone calls the station got wanting to pull the plug on him.

RashanGary
06-08-2010, 09:49 PM
I learned to really respect what he said. Maybe I'm boring, because I'd rather someone be right than entertaining.

Tarlam!
06-09-2010, 01:26 AM
I can't stand Kornholio. I detest his visage, he appears "smelly" on screen, if there is such a thing. I totally agree with Rodgers subjective opinions on this guy.

I also can't stand Troy Aikman. I always groan out loud when he opens his yap. I loathe it when he comes to Lambeau.

bobblehead
06-09-2010, 02:14 AM
I can't stand Kornholio. I detest his visage, he appears "smelly" on screen, if there is such a thing. I totally agree with Rodgers subjective opinions on this guy.

I also can't stand Troy Aikman. I always groan out loud when he opens his yap. I loathe it when he comes to Lambeau.

Ok, this is just scary....my best friend and I nicknamed him "stinky" about 5 years ago because we both bet he had nasty BO just based on what we saw of him on screen.

I actually like Aikman though...he isn't afraid to point out when the officials suck.

Tarlam!
06-09-2010, 02:28 AM
he isn't afraid to point out when the officials suck.

OK, but apart from that and sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, public health and peace what have the Romans ever done for us?

pbmax
06-09-2010, 02:49 AM
I learned to really respect what he said. Maybe I'm boring, because I'd rather someone be right than entertaining.
I don't find him right about much. I find him repeating conventional wisdom.

packrulz
06-09-2010, 05:41 AM

Steve "The Homer" True..Known for being the radio voice of Marquette basketball

Homer is a very good play by play announcer for Marquette basketball, he really gets jacked up, and he jokes around too. Also interesting to note they asked ARod who he thought the best QB's in the league are and he mentioned Tom Brady, Payton Manning, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers, but Favre wasn't mentioned. :shock:

Fred's Slacks
06-09-2010, 06:22 AM
My first question is why is he having this conversation now?

The most obvious reason Rodgers would hold a grudge against Kornheiser, outside of production meetings that the public knows about, is that Kornheiser kept harping on letting Favre go and keeping Rodgers as a questionable decision all through 2008. Even his broadcast partners told TK to let it go. I doubt that sat well with Team Rodgers.

Wilbon, TKs partner on PTI, is also the one who gave birth to someone's signature for a while: "I am Ted Thompson, and I am smarter than everyone else".

I think McShay was just brought it to be the anti-Mel. They wanted someon who could argue back and forth with Kiper. A guy I really grew to like during this last draft (despite he used to be a Viking) was Corey Chavous. He told Mayoc that Joe Hayden was going to run a slower 40 and was right. He was calling late round (~5-6 round) picks before they came up and he had lots of good information on obscure prospects during the 7th round while Mayoc was off gargling salt water somewhere. I'm starting to put more weight on what Chavous says than any other draft "expert".

RashanGary
06-09-2010, 07:06 AM

You ever listen to his radio show?

Scott Campbell
06-09-2010, 08:13 AM
I think it's funny that the tables are getting turned on some of these talking heads.

RashanGary
06-09-2010, 10:08 AM
I think it's funny that the tables are getting turned on some of these talking heads.

I like that too. Football players, for better or worse are free to be judged. It's accepted.

But what about dard-dog and the irresponsible story twisting sisters at JS? Who writes about what jokes they are? I would love a site that graded not only the accuracy of the facts, but the spin too. I think JS would be the Tavaris Jackson of media groups, just bad.

Pugger
06-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Kornhole might be a tool but Rodgers should still keep his mouth shut and not make comments like this. All it does is make AR sound arrogant to his detractors.

vince
06-09-2010, 02:01 PM
I agree. It's not right that players are expected to sit and take criticism from all these guys without retort. It should be a two-way street.

Thompson should jump on the bandwagon too. :lol:

Scott Campbell
06-09-2010, 02:40 PM
William Henderson waited more than a decade to let Mel Kiper have it. That was awesome. :lol:

swede
06-09-2010, 02:52 PM

OK, but apart from that and sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, public health and peace what have the Romans ever done for us?

Are you the Judean People's Front?

Smidgeon
06-09-2010, 03:33 PM
William Henderson waited more than a decade to let Mel Kiper have it. That was awesome. :lol:

I'm curious. When did this happen?

Scott Campbell
06-09-2010, 03:35 PM

I'm curious. When did this happen?

I thought it was during the 09 draft. Not exactly sure.

sharpe1027
06-09-2010, 03:48 PM

F-off!

Fritz
06-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Here's a novel idea: Screw the three man booth. It's one person too many. Just two guys, one doing color, one calling the game. And the guy calling the game should pay attention to the damn game. Yes, I want to know if the nickel guy who's been on the field the last two nickel situations has been replaced by someone else. Yes, I want to know what the injury to the second string guard was.

And color guy, shut the hell up about Brett Favre when you are broadcasting a Packers' game this season. He is not on the team. Hasn't been for a couple of years.

packers11
06-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Rodgers sounded pissed off the day of the interview... :lol:

Scott Campbell
06-09-2010, 06:18 PM

I think the dude has a little chip on his shoulder. I like it.

Brando19
06-09-2010, 07:33 PM

I think the dude has a little chip on his shoulder. I like it.

I finally got the interview to work and I agree...I hope Brett comes back this year because we're gonna sweep their sorry asses.

Guiness
06-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Apparently, he's sorry if he hurt their feelings

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13501840/rodgers-regrets-public-shots-at-kornheiser-jaworski

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers says he regrets airing his complaints about ESPN's Monday Night Football broadcast team in a recent radio interview.

Speaking with ESPN Milwaukee 540 AM this week, Rodgers sharply criticized former Monday night broadcaster Tony Kornheiser, saying he did "absolutely no research" and doubts that he knows "anything about sports." He also threw a barb at current analyst Ron Jaworski, calling the ex-QB's past opinions of Rodgers' fundamentals perhaps the worst segment "in the history of TV."

Rodgers now says the radio was an "inappropriate" outlet for his thoughts and that he didn't mean to disrespect anybody -- although he didn't necessarily back away from the substance of his criticisms.

ESPN officials declined comment through a spokesman.

I doubt he's very sorry....

Tarlam!
06-10-2010, 12:13 AM

F-off! (Thanks Sharp) We're the People's Front of Judea!

mraynrand
06-10-2010, 12:20 AM

Splitter!

Fritz
06-11-2010, 06:52 AM

Splitter!

If there's a People's Front then can there also be a Goat's Front?

pbmax
06-11-2010, 08:13 AM

You ever listen to his radio show?
Yep, all the time until Van Pelt took it over. I think he is well plugged into sports and knowledgeable (as in up to date). But he is a generalist who does not seem to have a special insight into football. Unlike Van Pelt, who is very plugged into college f-ball and b-ball or Costas who is very plugged into baseball, I thought Tirico was a great news gatherer. So for me, who spends the beginning and end of the week reading every sport site imaginable, he repeats a lot of known information to me.

Now he is very good at what he does. So say for breaking news, he is the perfect guy. But in most cases I am listening to a guy repeat the top wire stories of ESPN's web page when he was on the radio. He is smoother and more professional than Van Pelt. He is far more concise than the wordy Van Pelt. But I don't hear much depth.