PDA

View Full Version : Chuck To Get New Deal?

Scott Campbell
06-08-2010, 02:36 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/08/report-packers-woodson-discussing-new-contract/

He sure has backed it up since he got here.

Tarlam!
06-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this. :?:

CaliforniaCheez
06-08-2010, 02:56 PM
No better time for Woodson to negotiatel. DPOY and an uncapped year.

Everyone should be happy (Except perhaps Tramon Williams).

Patler
06-08-2010, 03:03 PM
I chuckle when I read comments like this found in the story:

Considering Packers G.M. Ted Thompson's history of preferring youngsters to aging veterans, it seems likely that Woodson's camp -- and Woodson's camp only -- is pushing for the new deal.

Wasn't it just two years ago that TT sweetened Al Harris' contract? He was the same age as Woodson is now.

Driver has gotten improved contracts several times recently. He's a few years older than Woodson too.

Tauscher got an improved contract without asking, because TT thought it was the right thing to do. Tauscher commented on it being a nice surprise at the time.

While he is younger than Woodson, Pickett is in his 10th year and received what some think is an unusually good contract in light of Raji being the apparent future at NT and Pickett not the ideal DE.

What do they all have in common? All are consummate pros, leaders in the locker room and content in Green Bay. Doesn't that also describe Woodson? Besides, Woodson is better than any of them.

The Packers tend to protect themselves with bonuses tied to being on the 45-man game day rosters. If he is healthy enough and playing well enough to be on the roster the Packers will be happy to pay Woodson for it. If he isn't, it won't matter.

packerbacker1234
06-08-2010, 03:29 PM
yeah, it will be a pretty smartly put together contract to give woodson more money - and he does have decent leverage to get it. Age is the only concern, and it has yet to bother him a single year he has been here.

The way he played last year, he looks to have 2 to 3 more really good years left barring injury. He seems to keep his body in prestine shape, no reason to see any sort of massive decline in play.

Harris just now coming back from an injury most can't come back on, williams in a contract year... it does add up. Nothing behind those 3, really. Underwood pretty much screwed his chance.

So... yeah. I would be alright. Guy is the anchor of that defensive unit. Leader in the locker room. They've done this for Harris and they've done it for Driver. Guys who earn that trust, earn that money, both in locker room, on the field, and off the field. I think it's a good all around thing to do.

packers11
06-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Charles Woodson refutes a report by Josina Anderson of Fox 31 Denver that he has discussed a new contract with the Packers.

"I don't know any Josina, and I haven't discussed anything with the Packers," Woodson texted. We were skeptical of the original report considering Woodson's age and the three years left on a reasonable contract. Though he's been watching practices of late, Woodson insists that his non-participation has nothing to do with his contract status.

Source: ESPNMilwaukee.com

Tarlam!
06-09-2010, 01:15 AM
Love Chuck's text message, but, where there's smoke...

bobblehead
06-09-2010, 02:15 AM
I can only speculate, but chuck doesn't seem like a guy who would rock the boat right before a very possible super bowl run. Not saying he won't if we win it this year and he is in the discussion for DMVP again, but not right now....just couldn't see it happening. He ain't no sterling sharpe.

Tarlam!
06-09-2010, 02:24 AM
I can only speculate, but chuck doesn't seem like a guy who would rock the boat right before a very possible super bowl run. Not saying he won't if we win it this year and he is in the discussion for DMVP again, but not right now....just couldn't see it happening. He ain't no sterling sharpe.

Sure, I agree. I don't see him being loud about it. But he might feel he has made a case through his play to up the ante on the last couple of years or gain a large roster bonus or whatever. His agent might be quietly urging some pay increase, but it will be in the background.

I just wonder where the source got the info.

The Leaper
06-09-2010, 08:09 PM
The Packers wanted him when few others did...and he's genuinely glad to be in Green Bay from all indications. He went to a traditional power for college, and I think he's happy to be in the same situation in Green Bay.

He's set to earn $7.5M in 2010...not bad, but he's worth more. I would not be shocked if Thompson decided to give him a raise.

gbgary
06-10-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this. :?:

i do...glad.

"CHUCK" LOL...does anyone remember who started that? hmmmmmm? :whist:

mission
06-10-2010, 09:01 PM
They should just give him a 6-9m bonus at some point and thank him for being a consummate professional.

The dude is awesome.

Fritz
06-11-2010, 06:50 AM
Does Woodson want more up front money or an extension?

If TT were to dop anything, his m.o. has been to pay-as-you-go or even frontload. So anything done would likely involve an immediate big pay raise for this year and then some years that are priced moderately, with bonuses for being available on game days.

That'd be my guess.

But if Brandon Underwood were his agent, Chuck would end up with two old hookers and a bottle of whiskey.

gbgary
06-11-2010, 09:27 PM

:oops: did a little search and discovered esoxx used "chuck" six months before i arrived here and a year and a half before i ever issued the CHUCK call. :bow:

get louder at lambeau
06-12-2010, 02:29 AM
"CHUCK" LOL...does anyone remember who started that? hmmmmmm? :whist:[/quote]

Was it one of the characters on Charles In Charge? Nicole Eggert maybe?

http://bahadiricel.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/charles-in-charge-photo.jpg

Fritz
06-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Why does Hollywood usually make the parents in those shows from the 80's look like total doofuses?

Thank good Hollywood learned its lesson. Now you have shows from the early 2000's like Grounded for Life, where the mom is smoking, smoking hot.

packerbacker1234
06-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Given he just won defensive MVP last season, I bet he is really just looking for more front end money this season and next, and maybe a slight extension so he can retire on his own terms when he wants to.

Merlin
06-14-2010, 09:45 AM
I am beating Ted will pay him. His career was really resurrected when he arrived in Green Bay and he has been solid the whole time he has been here.

esoxx
06-26-2010, 11:00 PM

:oops: did a little search and discovered esoxx used "chuck" six months before i arrived here and a year and a half before i ever issued the CHUCK call. :bow:

On an unrelated side note, I also coined the phrase "gettin' jiggy with it."

Fritz
06-27-2010, 07:16 PM
esoxx! You're back!

Joemailman
07-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Woodson escapes house fire which burns house to the ground (not his).
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/13/charles-woodson-escapes-before-fire-burns-house-to-ground/