PDA

View Full Version : UFL's Omaha Nighthawks sign former Packer Green

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-10-2010, 04:22 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818975f9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Guiness
06-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Don't know whether to be happy or sad.

He's had a long, very good, career. I hate to see him holding on because he doesn't know what else to do. OTOH he says it will be a dream to play for his hometown team, I hope that's really why he's doing it.

gbgary
06-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Don't know whether to be happy or sad.

i do...sad.

mission
06-10-2010, 08:55 PM
i hope he runs all over that league... it *is* sad, but not in a pathetic kind of way (not imo). Just sad that it marks an end of an era and a Packer who gave us his all. It was nice getting him back for a little bit last year and seeing him get the record and some tough runs in tough situations...

You'd like to find a way to be able to keep him just for sentimental reasons but we all know how valuable a roster slot is. If we *need* AG to be successful next season, we're in big trouble. Gotta upgrade that spot, and we probably did.

KYPack
06-10-2010, 09:26 PM
You boys sure said it all.

Always like AG.

He played hard, he'd lay the ball down on ya, but man, he busted his ass.

I got sad last season when he came back to us. He was trying to get it done, but he was all played out. When he tried to return kicks, it was obvious he'd lost a couple steps.

It's over & he's still trying to play ball.

I hope they have a day or something for him, he deserves it.

Fritz
06-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Funny I had almost the opposite reaction last year, KY. It was clear he'd lost a step, but he also brought a sense of tough inside running to the team, which it had lacked. MM seemed to like giving him the ball in short yardage situations, and Green knocked some people over or at least slammed straight into them and got the yards. He wasn't near the guy he used to be but he seemed better than anyone else the Packers had in terms of running hard inside the hash marks. He actually contributed to the team.

But this signing - it's what he loves, yes, but it is sad. It'd be like watching Dom Dimaggio sign up to play semi-pro ball in North Dakota.

KYPack
06-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Funny I had almost the opposite reaction last year, KY. It was clear he'd lost a step, but he also brought a sense of tough inside running to the team, which it had lacked. MM seemed to like giving him the ball in short yardage situations, and Green knocked some people over or at least slammed straight into them and got the yards. He wasn't near the guy he used to be but he seemed better than anyone else the Packers had in terms of running hard inside the hash marks. He actually contributed to the team.

But this signing - it's what he loves, yes, but it is sad. It'd be like watching Dom Dimaggio sign up to play semi-pro ball in North Dakota.

I agree with ya, Fritz. Ahman was still his same old hustling self, he was just a little hit out. I remembered when he had his slash on and could run with shake, speed and power.

Ahman returning kicks was what got to me. A case of asking a man to do a job he couldn't do anymore. He DID bring something to the team. He just had lost quite a bit.

Ahman is a certain Packer HOFer, that will be good.

red
06-11-2010, 08:41 AM
its not worth it ahman

get out while you're body is still in one piece

Patler
06-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Green wasn't what he had been, but he wasn't so bad as to embarrass himself either.

Chris Chelios, at 47 years old, spent the past season playing for the Chicago Wolves after a huge NHL career. He has said he found it very satisfying. He enjoyed playing and his team seemed to really respect and enjoy him. Players spoke very highly of what he brought to them. Reading between the lines of some of his comments through out the season, it seems to have allowed him to ease into retirement. He just loves to play the game, but has now said he is virtually certain he will not return next year.

Maybe it will be the same for Ahman Green. A chance to play the game for the reasons he did as a kid, because he loved doing it. Many professional athletes comment on how they miss the game of their youth, having to play it as a job instead. Some get the chance to go back at least a few steps.

sharpe1027
06-11-2010, 12:01 PM
I still play sports at a recreational level even though I played at a (more) competitive level once. I would have trouble keeping up with the young kids. Is there something wrong with that? Is this really any different?

I say keep playing for as long as you still enjoy it.

bobblehead
06-11-2010, 12:50 PM
I still play sports at a recreational level even though I played at a (more) competitive level once. I would have trouble keeping up with the young kids. Is there something wrong with that? Is this really any different?

I say keep playing for as long as you still enjoy it.

My sentiments exactly. Go Ahman, for as long as you are having fun. I always had one HUGE respect for AG, he outplayed his contract and no one ever knew it. This just proves what I suspected....he had all the money he would ever need and just loved to play the game.

mraynrand
06-11-2010, 04:47 PM
This is a lot better than having to race against horses to make a buck.

red
06-11-2010, 07:46 PM
i can respect him for still loving the game. but i think about it more like the movie the wrestler. where a guy can't get away from the only thing he knows so he subjects himself to an absolute beating for a few dollars a night

football's a rough sport and running backs take a huge beating. i'd just hate to see him cripple himself for the rest of his life for a little bit of money that he doesn't need in front of a few thousand fans a game

mission
06-11-2010, 08:27 PM
i can respect him for still loving the game. but i think about it more like the movie the wrestler. where a guy can't get away from the only thing he knows so he subjects himself to an absolute beating for a few dollars a night

football's a rough sport and running backs take a huge beating. i'd just hate to see him cripple himself for the rest of his life for a little bit of money that he doesn't need in front of a few thousand fans a game

I'd assume he's weighed the value of playing (satisfaction + love for the game + nebraska) versus his health / current condition.

If he was doing this for money because he needed it, and his health was all f'd up, then I'd say this is very sad -- but I don't think the situation is anywhere close to that.

packerbacker1234
06-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Happy for the guy. If the packers had no real interest in bringing him back as a contributor, he might as well go back home, play some football, and dominate a lesser league. Many people still play sports recreationaly as we grow up, and this is the UFL - it's pretty much recreation for him.

He wasn't the Green of old last season, and no expected him to be. What he was, however was one hell of a tough runner. I don't think it's any coincidence that Green shows up, starts knocking people over, and then magically Grant gets his head out of his ass and starts looking like 2007 all over again. Grant seems to always play best when someone behind him his pushing... and thats what Green did for us last year, He made grant play harder, by simply playing hard himself.

Badgerinmaine
06-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Maybe it will be the same for Ahman Green. A chance to play the game for the reasons he did as a kid, because he loved doing it. Many professional athletes comment on how they miss the game of their youth, having to play it as a job instead. Some get the chance to go back at least a few steps.

I hope that you're right. Something tells me, though, that in the back of his mind he hopes to impress someone in the NFL so he can get another shot.