PDA

View Full Version : WORLD CUP

Pages : 1 [2]

swede
07-09-2010, 07:49 AM
i've loved every minute of it. i'm a huge fan of the beautiful game.

Why is my sarcasm meter going off?

retailguy
07-09-2010, 08:59 AM

don't get me started...

retailguy
07-09-2010, 08:59 AM
GO NETHERLANDS!!!

gbgary
07-09-2010, 12:54 PM

it's clearly on the blink. i'm not being sarcastic at all. footy has been a big part of my life. i'm up as early as 6:30 saturday, or sunday, mornings to watch Manchester United play. i'm as eat up with Man Utd as i am the Packers and have just as much stuff. my kiddo was the star player on his club, high school, and college teams and is a full-time club coach and club director now.

swede
07-09-2010, 10:03 PM

it's clearly on the blink. i'm not being sarcastic at all. footy has been a big part of my life. i'm up as early as 6:30 saturday, or sunday, mornings to watch Manchester United play. i'm as eat up with Man Utd as i am the Packers and have just as much stuff. my kiddo was the star player on his club, high school, and college teams and is a full-time club coach and club director now.

My apologies. Phrases such as "Jarrett Bush is my favorite Packer", "Barbara Bush looks hot in that pantsuit", "I had fun at the Department of Motor Vehicles today" and "Let's spend the weekend watching soccer" have always tripped my sarcasm alarm. Given the interest in the World Cup by at least three people I know personally I find that I must recalibrate accordingly.

gbgary
07-10-2010, 01:58 PM

My apologies. Phrases such as "Jarrett Bush is my favorite Packer", "Barbara Bush looks hot in that pantsuit", "I had fun at the Department of Motor Vehicles today" and "Let's spend the weekend watching soccer" have always tripped my sarcasm alarm. Given the interest in the World Cup by at least three people I know personally I find that I must recalibrate accordingly.

lol...it's all good.

Freak Out
07-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Now that was a hell of a game.

red
07-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Now that was a hell of a game.

hell yeah it was

my favorite team of the tournament going up against my favorite player to watch this tournament (forlan), both brought the goods today

damn he came so close to hitting that shot right at the end

lets hope tomorrow is just as good, and not just some big flop fest

retailguy
07-11-2010, 11:56 AM
GO NETHERLANDS!!

red
07-11-2010, 12:20 PM
GO SPAIN!!!!!

i hope its not too windy today, the dutch players have a hard enough time staying on their feet

Joemailman
07-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Shouldn't a kick to the chest be a red card?

red
07-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Shouldn't a kick to the chest be a red card?

you would think so

the guy wasn't even looking for the ball

retailguy
07-11-2010, 02:33 PM
GO SPAIN!!!!!

i hope its not too windy today, the dutch players have a hard enough time staying on their feet

Are you crazy? The Netherlands have women who promised to strip if they win. Why would you possibly want Spain to win? :shock:

red
07-11-2010, 03:26 PM
well, for as great and fun to watch as yesterday's game was, today's game, at least for me, is the exact opposite

i think i would rather have teeth pulled then watch anymore of this shit. my god the pace of the game is horrible thanks to all the flopping and acting

Joemailman
07-11-2010, 04:26 PM
At least the Dutch tactics didn't work. That would have been the worst result.

Brazil in 2014. Hopefully no Vuvuzelas. Also, less of a time zone difference, so I won't be at work during most of the games.

Freak Out
07-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Catalan wins it's first World Cup. :)

Both teams were flopping like fish out of water.....bogus tactics but it works some of the time. :(

retailguy
07-11-2010, 06:23 PM
:( CRAP

Joemailman
07-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Players will keep flopping as long as it works. They got rid of this problem in the NHL with improved officiating. They don't fall for it very often, and even penalize guys for "embellishing".

gbgary
07-11-2010, 07:02 PM
nasty game with plenty of deserved yellow cards. webb did his best to keep it from getting out of hand. as for the diving there was was plenty of that too. it's disgraceful. i don't think webb fell for very much of it. he's a very good ref (english premier league). spain was the more talented and in the second half they had the better chances and had the dutch on the ropes near the end of regulation. once they went a man down it was just a matter of time. i was pulling for the dutch because i harbor ill will for the barca and real players (Man Utd related :)) who made up much of the spanish team. glad it's over though. i'm ready for the epl season to begin.

Freak Out
07-11-2010, 08:39 PM
nasty game with plenty of deserved yellow cards. webb did his best to keep it from getting out of hand. as for the diving there was was plenty of that too. it's disgraceful. i don't think webb fell for very much of it. he's a very good ref (english premier league). spain was the more talented and in the second half they had the better chances and had the dutch on the ropes near the end of regulation. once they went a man down it was just a matter of time. i was pulling for the dutch because i harbor ill will for the barca and real players (Man Utd related :)) who made up much of the spanish team. glad it's over though. i'm ready for the epl season to begin.

I think your right about Webb.....I'm surprised he didn't give any cards for crying. As soon as he made a call he would signal the players to zip it and back off...they rarely did though. :lol: Nasty kick to the chest that I'm surprised didn't draw a red....but theses guys aren't all eyes that's for sure.
Bring on the League games....better football most of the time.

Joemailman
07-11-2010, 09:13 PM
On a really sad note, dozens have been killed in a pair or bomb blasts in Kampala Uganda. They targeted bars where people were packed in to watch the World Cup final.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE66A2B120100711

Bretsky
07-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Can somebody sum up who finished top 4 ? My buddy at work bet $10 on Germany to win it all four years ago at 17-1 odds so he was cheering for them

red
07-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Can somebody sum up who finished top 4 ? My buddy at work bet $10 on Germany to win it all four years ago at 17-1 odds so he was cheering for them

1. Spain

2. Netherlands

3. Germany

4. Uruguay

Joemailman
07-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Will the Dutch be happy enough with the 2010 results to continue this style of play? Or will they go back to totaalvoetbal ?

wootah
07-12-2010, 06:05 AM
Will the Dutch be happy enough with the 2010 results to continue this style of play? Or will they go back to totaalvoetbal ?

Ironically, they have been beat by the only team that plays an evolved version of the totaalvoetbal of Cruyff.

I'm not sure the Dutch have the necessary quality to play it likes Spain does: at least not with the 11 that started the game yesterday. Their central backs and defending midfielders along with Kuyt do not fit this type of game and are rather limited technically.

What a great side, Spain. The quick passes through the middle might seem easy for the untrained eye, but believe me, this is top level soccer. I can understand that Forlan won the player of the WC award, but Xavi should not be far behind.

Yesterday's game sure wasn't the prettiest of matches, but I'm glad the tournament got the winner it deserved in Spain.

Freak Out
03-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Lionel Messi is really good.

wootah
03-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Lionel Messi is really good.

I agree. The best one I've ever seen play in my lifetime.

Freak Out
07-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Go USA! Did anyone else see the Brazil game? Holy sheit.....just a beautiful finish. Down a lady for 45 minutes or so....ties it up right at the end and then wins it in a shootout. Just a hell of a game by the US women.

Joemailman
07-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Hey Bretsky! I hear all the players are lesbians! Gonna watch?

Gunakor
07-12-2011, 02:44 AM
Go USA! Did anyone else see the Brazil game? Holy sheit.....just a beautiful finish. Down a lady for 45 minutes or so....ties it up right at the end and then wins it in a shootout. Just a hell of a game by the US women.

It felt like I had watched this game before. Something very familiar about it.

http://worldreferee.com/img/referee/coulibaly_koman2.jpg

Bretsky
07-12-2011, 07:31 AM
Hey Bretsky! I hear all the players are lesbians! Gonna watch?

now if that were true I just might :)
or if they played a nekkid

wootah
07-12-2011, 07:33 AM
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/757250/HOPESOLOKISS.gif.pagespeed.ce.GYMc4l2n6f.gif

Freak Out
07-12-2011, 11:37 AM
It felt like I had watched this game before. Something very familiar about it.

http://worldreferee.com/img/referee/coulibaly_koman2.jpg

The fix was in.....and they still won. :)

wootah
07-14-2011, 09:13 AM
The fix was in.....and they still won. :)

Fix was in for the French to lose and USA won. Congratulations!!

Tarlam!
07-14-2011, 09:30 AM
woohtah, did you see the same half empty stadium I saw?

wootah
07-15-2011, 02:54 AM
woohtah, did you see the same half empty stadium I saw?

Yes Tar I did. Did you see the 88% filled stadium during Japan - Sweden (the semi-final where Germany would have ended up if they beated Japan)? :P 45K people for women's football is not too bad in my opinion.

For those who are interested in team shapes & tactics, and since there's no (American) football around, I wrote a little piece on what I saw during the game. I watched both semi's (first full games of women's soccer I ever watched) and these are my thoughts:

Yes, the French goalie was bad. Let those 2 teams play with equal GK's and the French will win 95 out of 100 times. The US won by good defensive play & a quality injection by the offensive substitutes.

Having said that, I saw a US team that struggled with the French shape. France played in the 4-2-3-1 that's now in vogue in international football while USA played in a 4-4-2 which on the pitch turned more into a 4-4-1-1 with a flat 4 midfield. France clearly opted for the playmaking strategy while USA went for counter play.

The defensive 4 of the US played great (high quality players with exception maybe of the right fullback IMO) but the biggest problem lied in the midfield play. I don't really understand the coach's philosophy here; Boxx & Lloyd were both playing defensive midfielder roles. This means you need a central attacking midfielder or a second creative striker to fill the big gap in the offensive center midfield. Rodriguez nor Wambach filled that role and as a consequence Boxx & Lloyd were constantly outnumbered by the French ladies. Especially Lloyd seemed to have problems with the pace.

Counter play requires a quick transition from defense to offense and the US failed to do so: there was a lot of (frustrating) loss of posession by the 2 CM's and when a ball was played deep to Rodriguez or Wambach it rarely arrived. In theory, the 2 attackers should keep the ball in the team and wait for midfielders to move up, but they didn't do that either; Rodriguez was invisible and Wambach often tried to play the ball one-touch, mostly resulting in loss of posession.

This caused the US in the scarce moments they had the ball, to immediately lose it again and have their midfield & defense under constant pressure. There was seemingly no chance of a quick counter attack untill they scored the 1-2 (I counted 1 counter, where Rampone crossed the field and the header of Wambach sailed by the empty goal). I seriously thought they were done after the 1-1 and couldn't understand why the coach didn't intervene at all.

The changing point in the game were the substitutions of Lloyd & Rodriguez for Rapinoe & Morgan. This gave the US a lot more offensive firepower; Rapinoe (who I liked) was able to beat her (wo)man on the side and Cheney moved to the center were she showed more attacking spirit than Lloyd, filling the big gap in the centre field. After that the momentum shifted and you all know the rest.

Morgan is a better striker than Rodriguez (who didn't impress me at all). Morgan's smart positioning & diagonal runs were a big threat and gave the US the possibility to actually get in dangerous positions.

I'm too lazy to type a review of Japan, but I'll bet they give the US their share of problems. Those girls played really impressive football, clearly had very good coaching and in my opinion are the favorites for the final. However if the US takes better care of the football once they have it, they could create some situations where they can exploit their physical supremacy. I say keep Lloyd on the bench, put Rapinoe in on the left and Morgan in the attack. Put Sauerbrunn on the right fullback & Buehler back in the centre. Should become an interesting final...

Oh yeah; and this:
http://gibby747.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/alex-morgan-cleavy1.jpg

Gunakor
07-15-2011, 05:27 AM
Morgan is a better striker than Rodriguez (who didn't impress me at all). Morgan's smart positioning & diagonal runs were a big threat and gave the US the possibility to actually get in dangerous positions.

I'm too lazy to type a review of Japan, but I'll bet they give the US their share of problems. Those girls played really impressive football, clearly had very good coaching and in my opinion are the favorites for the final.

Amy Rodriguez has scored in 3 of the 4 most recent matches against Japan so I doubt Pia would take her out of the starting 11 now.

USA should be much better rested for this final than they were Wednesday, for obvious reasons. And they'll be back at full strength with Rachel Buehler back on the field. They are hungry. And they are 22-0-3 all time against Japan, the most recent 2 wins coming during a 5 day stretch a mere 2 months ago. For all these reasons, I find it difficult picking Japan as the favorites.

I think Japan can keep it close in the first half, but I don't think they can hold off USA in the final 30 minutes. USA is better conditioned and physically superior to Japan, and Abby Wambach wears the USA jersey. That will pay dividends late in the match, same as it did against Brazil and France. I don't expect this one to be close at the end.

Tarlam!
07-15-2011, 05:53 AM
You know it's a weird game sport when Japan gets into the final! Although, I understand they're outstanding baseball players.

wootah
07-15-2011, 06:44 AM
Amy Rodriguez has scored in 3 of the 4 most recent matches against Japan so I doubt Pia would take her out of the starting 11 now.

USA should be much better rested for this final than they were Wednesday, for obvious reasons. And they'll be back at full strength with Rachel Buehler back on the field. They are hungry. And they are 22-0-3 all time against Japan, the most recent 2 wins coming during a 5 day stretch a mere 2 months ago. For all these reasons, I find it difficult picking Japan as the favorites.

I think Japan can keep it close in the first half, but I don't think they can hold off USA in the final 30 minutes. USA is better conditioned and physically superior to Japan, and Abby Wambach wears the USA jersey. That will pay dividends late in the match, same as it did against Brazil and France. I don't expect this one to be close at the end.

Gunakor, everything I said was based on these 2 semi-finals, so I have no idea if Sweden just sucked against Japan or not. Japan absolutely dominated that game in the Spanish/Barcelona style. USA definately has a physical advantage, but they should take WAY better care of the ball IMO. Nevertheless they will get their chances based on set pieces / length alone.

I disagree with you on the Rodriguez part. Soccer doesn't work that way. In the WC 2007 Hope Solo was removed from the lineup for the semi against Brazil in favor of a goalie with a flawless track record against Brazil. USA lost 4-0 and all the players claimed afterwards they thought the switch was a big mistake. Morgan seemed like the better player, so unless she's unable to perform at a high level for 90 minutes, she should start.

You know it's a weird game sport when Japan gets into the final! Although, I understand they're outstanding baseball players.

True. Currently the top 5 of sumo wrestlers even consists of 4 non-Japanese fighters!

Tarlam!
07-15-2011, 07:18 AM
True. Currently the top 5 of sumo wrestlers even consists of 4 non-Japanese fighters!

OK, now, I am shocked!

red
07-17-2011, 04:25 PM
wow, that game had to be one of the worst shooting displays i've ever seen. has anyone seen that many misses/saves in a shootout at a higher level?

big props to japan, they never gave up and looked very disciplined out there

Freak Out
07-17-2011, 06:35 PM
The USA was up a goal with how many minutes left in xtra time? Holy fuck girls just play some D.

hoosier
07-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Have to agree with JH. Sucks for the USA but that was an impressive show of resilience by Japan.

MJZiggy
07-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Have to agree with JH. Sucks for the USA but that was an impressive show of resilience by Japan.

I'd make a joke, but it would be WAYYYYYY too inappropriate.

red
07-17-2011, 08:20 PM

you mean ME?????

i take offense to you calling me JH

hoosier
07-17-2011, 09:07 PM
you mean ME?????

i take offense to you calling me JH

Yeah, sorry, I meant you.

Ziggy: since when did that become a criteria for self censorship around here?!?

Bretsky
07-17-2011, 09:21 PM
CONGRATS TO JAPAN; this soccer game meant far more to them than the USA.

The Brewers won
Football agreement is nearly there
It was a good day

sooner6600
07-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Good sportsman ship there Bretskey.

Tarlam!
07-19-2011, 12:13 PM
this soccer game meant far more to them than the USA. I wonder. Team USA is still under the shadow of the 1999 team.

sooner6600
07-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Tar!

Do you think PK are over rated?

What are your thoughts about a return to the golden goal?

No, I am not crying in my Spaten Brau. I am just saying that USA beat Brazil on PK's; but somehow one should play on, no?

red
07-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Tar!

No, I am not crying in my Spaten Brau. I am just saying that USA beat Brazil on PK's; but somehow one should play on, no?

thats a though call. you can go on and on forever without someone getting the golden goal. its bad enough when teams have to play 120 minutes, then play another game in a few days. can you imagine what a team would look like in that second game after playing a 180 minutes or more in the previous one?

i will say that i would rather have a golden goal during the extra 30 minutes. first team to score wins, screw playing out the rest of the extra time

PK's do pretty much suck at deciding games, and anti-climatic IMO, but i just don't see another humane way of deciding ties in a tournament

wootah
07-20-2011, 02:32 AM
Tar!

Dutch coach Louis Van Gaal proposed a couple of months ago to change the overtime format; drop the PK's and just keep on playing while every X minutes (5?) a player of each team has to leave the field. Crazy stuff if you ask me; in the end, those players remaining on the field will be useless in the further games of the tournament.

I don't like PK's, but honestly, I see no other solution. They added the golden (and silver) goal in order to boost the spectacle & offensive play, but it caused the teams to defend more and play for the PK's.

sooner6600
07-20-2011, 06:31 AM
Thanks Wootah;

Ah; shorten the field and add more players.
That shoud really destroy the game.

Tarlam!
07-20-2011, 07:00 AM
Well, the Golden Goal works in all USA sports. If they're gonna do it in soccer playoffs, they should do it throughout the season in club matches. Anything is better than PK.

I also think they should have a sin bin. That is when a player commits a foul that is a yellow card, he goes of for 10 minutes.

MJZiggy
07-20-2011, 07:07 AM
Well, the Golden Goal works in all USA sports. If they're gonna do it in soccer playoffs, they should do it throughout the season in club matches. Anything is better than PK.

I also think they should have a sin bin. That is when a player commits a foul that is a yellow card, he goes of for 10 minutes. I'd be yellow carding just for the break...

Freak Out
07-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Bob Bradley was fired today....not surprising considering the play of the team recently.

Freak Out
07-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Wow. I like the hire...not sure it's going to help much though.

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2011/07/29/u-s-soccer-turns-to-german-legend/

Gunakor
07-30-2011, 02:20 AM
I love the hire. I loved this hire back when we got Bradley. Don't know what went wrong then, but I'm glad they got it right now.

Partial
07-30-2011, 02:28 AM
This Nike ad is incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSggaxXUS8k

digitaldean
07-31-2011, 11:13 PM
Glad they hired Klinsmann. I find it maddening how the US choked vs Mexico in Gold Cup. Only worse choke job was the Women vs. Japan in Women's World Cup final.

If they really want soccer to take off professionally, the US men HAVE to get to a World Cup final. Sounds like a front runner type of statement, but it's going to be a 2nd tier sport until that happens.

wootah
08-01-2011, 03:35 AM
If they really want soccer to take off professionally, the US men HAVE to get to a World Cup final.

I think you mixed it up; if they want to get to the final, they have to become more professional. No way you guys are getting to a WC final when your best athletes are choosing other sports.

MJZiggy
08-01-2011, 07:17 AM
I miss soccer...I only ever played while my kid was playing, but still miss it.

wootah
08-01-2011, 07:34 AM
I miss soccer...I only ever played while my kid was playing, but still miss it.

Rightly so; there's a reason it's called "the beautiful game".

Tonight our season starts; first training session after a 4 month offseason and I'm absolutely STOKED. Woke up this morning from a text from one of my players which said "Coach, I can't wait for the training tonight!". I've got me a 13 year old Bart Scott.

MJZiggy
08-01-2011, 07:40 AM
I remember 4-year-old soccer. The kid used to forget there was a game going on and watch airplanes that were flying overhead. He was pretty good for a while and fast, but lost interest somewhere around 8 or 9.

Now he's a STEM kid and I have to throw him out to get him outside to play.

wootah
08-01-2011, 08:25 AM
He was pretty good for a while and fast, but lost interest somewhere around 8 or 9.

What happened? From my experience that age is still about the good old pressureless soccer, where it's all about having a good time.

http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/images/shows/southpark/vertical_video/import/season_06/sp_0603_03_m4.jpg

MJZiggy
08-01-2011, 11:40 AM
This is when the kids in the league who lived and breathed soccer began to excel and really outpace his marginal interest and lack of outside practice. In a different league (read more expensive) he might have been brought along differently, but this is also about the time he found science, math, his bike and tennis.

Scott Campbell
08-01-2011, 11:49 AM
I went to a major league soccer game on Saturday. How the hell did this ever become the most popular sport in the world?

wootah
08-02-2011, 01:53 AM
I went to a major league soccer game on Saturday. How the hell did this ever become the most popular sport in the world?

That's a good question, Scott. I think because it's accessible to all types of players due to the wide range of skills (you don't have to be big and fast and strong) and the only thing you need is a ball or something like that. It's more fun if you have an opponent, but if not, you can just train your skills by juggling the ball.

I remember when I was about 8 years old and we weren't allowed anymore to play with a proper ball on our playground at school. We then just played with an empty can of soda during each break.

Try to play it yourself, it really is a fun game. I don't know a whole lot about MLS, but if you want to see the best of the best: watch a game of Barcelona.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT2mGDGrxYE

They're insanely good.

Freak Out
08-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Good stuff wootah.....can't argue with that.

The goal at 2:30 is just a thing of beauty....Messi is so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jdvbuCXl0M&feature=related

Deputy Nutz
08-02-2011, 09:25 PM
soccer makes me puke

red
08-02-2011, 09:27 PM

you gotta wake up early on saturdays starting next month.

espn2 always shows one of the premiere league games. to me the atmosphere at the european games is better then the actual games. i like listening to whole crowds chanting and singing their teams songs

and the pyro shows that the fans in greece and turkey put on are just amazing

this is when the team takes the field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNO2eFoj1cI&feature=related

here's another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv5Q_mhEIc4&feature=related

and my favorite in england

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeH3o_2NRE0

Bretsky
08-02-2011, 11:19 PM
I keep wondering which thread is worse..... a soccer thread or the Brett Favre thread :)

wootah
08-03-2011, 04:55 AM
I've never understood the aversion that some American guys have for soccer. I get that if you're used to basketball you may find it boring because the pace is slower, like others may find the pace of golf, baseball or cycling too slow. Yet only for soccer the loathing needs to be expressed clearly and repeatedly.

Is soccer bashing a generally accepted way of proclaiming your own toughness or something? Or does the sport need to be marginalized because the Americans aren't exceptionally good at it?

sooner6600
08-03-2011, 06:46 AM
Soccer is like runny cheese. Some like it. Some don't. It has mold. Fifa is corrupt. So there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did enjoy the FA Cup many years ago while in England. Nill Nill ; then overtime. Whew! what a waste of a good Saturday.

Bretsky
08-03-2011, 06:56 AM
my apathy for soccer is also felt for golf and cycling fwiw and people I know would profess that I don't show it anymore than the other sports fwiw. I don't love baseball but I sometimes watch games. I think with soccer most are really into it or it's miserably boring in the US.

MJZiggy
08-03-2011, 08:41 AM
I've never understood the aversion that some American guys have for soccer. I get that if you're used to basketball you may find it boring because the pace is slower, like others may find the pace of golf, baseball or cycling too slow. Yet only for soccer the loathing needs to be expressed clearly and repeatedly.

Is soccer bashing a generally accepted way of proclaiming your own toughness or something? Or does the sport need to be marginalized because the Americans aren't exceptionally good at it?

I think the vocalization of the antipathy is simply in response to the worldwide obsession. They just don't get what the fuss is about, but so many adore the sport that they feel they need to defend not liking it. I do prefer to play soccer than to watch it, but every week we go to this little pho joint that always has soccer on the TVs and if I run into it while channel surfing, I'll watch.

Scott Campbell
08-03-2011, 09:00 AM

I sincerely just don't understand the worldwide appeal. Nothing personal.

Deputy Nutz
08-03-2011, 09:58 AM
my apathy for soccer is also felt for golf and cycling fwiw and people I know would profess that I don't show it anymore than the other sports fwiw. I don't love baseball but I sometimes watch games. I think with soccer most are really into it or it's miserably boring in the US.

For some reason I have an addiction to watching golf. I am Tiger Woods guy and no player that I remember seeing was ever that dominate in the game where he is expected to win everytime he goes out on the tee box. He brought an energy, determination, and intensity unlike any other golfer. It was like he was amping himself up to play 3 hours as a middle linebacker for the Ravens. It was his will to win that was captivating. He still has it, but his head and leg are all fucked up.

I am sure their is some asshole in shin guards running around with the same intensity and determination but they bore the fuck out of me. Let me tell ya I played soccer for one summer down in North Carolina and that sports difficulty meter is like a 3. Sure juggling the ball and passing and shooting are skills that take a long time to master, but flat out speed, and defense is pretty much all one needs to dominate the game.

wootah
08-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Let me tell ya I played soccer for one summer down in North Carolina and that sports difficulty meter is like a 3. Sure juggling the ball and passing and shooting are skills that take a long time to master, but flat out speed, and defense is pretty much all one needs to dominate the game.

Come on now, speed & defense will help you as much in soccer as it does in football; it's a big part of it, but no matter what Al Davis keeps telling you, it's not the only thing. Good soccer is all about ball control (!!), positioning & passing. No matter how fast you are, if you have no control over the ball, you suck. And it takes years & years of training to perfect this. Check out these FANTASTIC pieces of skill in the videos below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPzgP6Is3H8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neJ0PTHa2i0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz5VL3mcso4

I don't care if you like soccer or not, anyone who likes sports has got to admire the beauty of this.

red
08-03-2011, 06:03 PM
funny story about americans hating soccer. last year my uncle came to visit me, he's a big nascar type of guy. never watched soccer, never wanted to. it was during the world cup, and after he watched the first game with me, i couldn't keep him from watching every other game.

i think americans need high point totals, and lots of scoring . we need a more fast paced game. also i think people do hate the game because the rest of the world loves it and is better at it then us. i think maybe they also see it as more of a kids game. thats why almost every kid plays it when they are young and love it, but eventually move on to something else as they get older

red
08-03-2011, 06:04 PM
btw, this is the video i was looking for last night. this is how die hard fans welcome their team onto the field

these folks are nuts, but i would love to be there to see it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKQ-i1b3-L8&feature=related

Freak Out
08-03-2011, 06:32 PM
I thought I heard bagpipes as well. Gotta love the respect for fire codes. :)

The comments are classic.

Bretsky
08-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Instant gratification; this is what America is all about

You might be surprised to know that the last time the USA Women Soccer team won it all I watched nearly every minute of every game. It just so happened that the games started the day after my torn ACL surgery. The pain was bad enough that for several days ever four hours I'd take vicodin and I mixed a lot of Ibuprofin in with it. I really couldn't sleep much over two hours straight so I'd time out when Mia Ham and the Chesty girl would play next. Anything to divert my mind. In retrospect I think I was probably more interested in the jugglies than the game but I was happy I could keep watching them play.

Deputy Nutz
08-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Come on now, speed & defense will help you as much in soccer as it does in football; it's a big part of it, but no matter what Al Davis keeps telling you, it's not the only thing. Good soccer is all about ball control (!!), positioning & passing. No matter how fast you are, if you have no control over the ball, you suck. And it takes years & years of training to perfect this. Check out these FANTASTIC pieces of skill in the videos below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPzgP6Is3H8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neJ0PTHa2i0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz5VL3mcso4

I don't care if you like soccer or not, anyone who likes sports has got to admire the beauty of this.

Did I mention I was playing against high schoolers, not professional soccer players? The game boils down to positioning and timing. Sure great players have fantastic ball skills, but even good high school players weren't so hard to keep up with. I certainly wasn't spun into the ground by their fabulous ball skills. If you can cover a wide receiver you can guard a guy having his feet tied up with a ball.