PDA

View Full Version : WORLD CUP

Pages : [1] 2

Bretsky
06-10-2010, 09:27 PM
What is your attitude towards the World Cup ?

Do you not give a crap ?
Mild Interest and will watch if nothing else is on or USA is doing well
Stoked

retailguy
06-10-2010, 09:44 PM
what is the world cup? :?:

red
06-10-2010, 11:34 PM
love it

by far the biggest sporting event in the world

Bretsky
06-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Could Care less

I'd choose to watch Ping Pong over Soccer

swede
06-11-2010, 12:26 AM
The first choice is too hostile to describe my lack of interest; it implies an active annoyance rather than my passive disregard for the event.

I voted the middle option under the assumption that my attention could conceivably be drawn toward the World Cup should the stands be set on fire by hooligans or dwarfs were tossed onto the field, causing the match to be shortened.

Gunakor
06-11-2010, 02:17 AM
Whenever the best of the best get together on the worlds great stages it's always a good time. It's like the Olympics - I don't follow swimming or figure skating or bobsledding or track and field other than every 4 years when the worlds greatest athletes get together and compete on the worlds biggest stage. Same with the World Cup. I'll follow it until it's over, and then I probably won't care for soccer anymore until they play it again 4 years from now.

red
06-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Could Care less

it's definately an acquired taste

give the first game (the one about to start), and the one tomorrow between the US and England a try

its the atmosphere that hooked me. the crowds chanting and singing and going nuts

wootah
06-11-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing it. If security-wise everything is OK, it should become a great spectacle.

BTW, my favorite soccer team recently signed an american; Sacha Kljestan. He just missed the USA squad. Anybody knows if he's any good?

wootah
06-11-2010, 08:20 AM
its the atmosphere that hooked me. the crowds chanting and singing and going nuts

I hope there won't be that constant vuvuzela-horn sound. Drives me crazy...

Scott Campbell
06-11-2010, 08:23 AM
I thought Real Salt Lake already won. Anyway, who cares.

red
06-11-2010, 08:38 AM

I hope there won't be that constant vuvuzela-horn sound. Drives me crazy...

i hate those too, unfortunately i have a feeling we'll hear a lot of it in this game

Bretsky
06-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Could Care less

give the first game (the one about to start), and the one tomorrow between the US and England a try

can't do it; I'd be slightly more interested in chick soccer so my imagination could run and I could theorize on which ones were having fun with each other.

If they made the title game I think I might be able to watch part of it.

For what it's worth I do really admire these guys as they have great endurance and talent....it just bores me.

I would watch Soccer over Golf, I think....but there are not many more

Bretsky
06-11-2010, 05:49 PM
The first choice is too hostile to describe my lack of interest; it implies an active annoyance rather than my passive disregard for the event.

I voted the middle option under the assumption that my attention could conceivably be drawn toward the World Cup should the stands be set on fire by hooligans or dwarfs were tossed onto the field, causing the match to be shortened.

We are probably the same; I'm not at all annoyed. Just apathetic.

Freak Out
06-11-2010, 06:16 PM
It really depends on the style of play...if it's an attacking game it's fantastic to watch but the defensive chess matches can be real snooz-fests.

I want the US to win one of these some day.....the nationalist in me wants that bad.

I'm fascinated by some of the really crazy history in "football" and the local club history and wild traditions are fascinating.

Read How soccer explains the world, Football against the enemy, or all played out and you'll see what I mean.

Joemailman
06-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Could Care less

I usually watch some of it. I agree with Red that the spectacle of the crowds are a big part of it. Nothing else like it is sports.

RashanGary
06-11-2010, 11:02 PM
My son is playing soccer now. He's 7. I try to play with him for an hour or so after work most days. It's a really fun sport and a great work out.

We always had him in baseball, but I missed the signup deadline this year, so we ended up with soccer. I couldn't be happier though. The games a are a lot of fun to watch. There is so much action. He really likes playing.

I don't follow a team or anything like that, but I think it's a really cool sport. Fun to play, a really great workout and a lot of fun to watch my son play. I'll watch some world cup soccer this year.

swede
06-11-2010, 11:34 PM
My son is playing soccer now. He's 7. I try to play with him for an hour or so after work most days. It's a really fun sport and a great work out.

We always had him in baseball, but I missed the signup deadline this year, so we ended up with soccer. I couldn't be happier though. The games a are a lot of fun to watch. There is so much action. He really likes playing.

I don't follow a team or anything like that, but I think it's a really cool sport. Fun to play, a really great workout and a lot of fun to watch my son play. I'll watch some world cup soccer this year.

Every kid should play soccer...or ultimate Frisbee. Great exercise!

Freak Out
06-11-2010, 11:55 PM
I wonder if Diego Maradona's ego is going to screw Messi some how....deny him the glory that would surpass his World Cup feats.

wootah
06-12-2010, 04:00 AM
I wonder if Diego Maradona's ego is going to screw Messi some how....deny him the glory that would surpass his World Cup feats.

Maradonna has already said that he considers Messi a greater football player than himself. I have no doubt that he will do everything within his coaching power to make this team succeed. Football is not just a sport in Argentina. It's everything. I only doubt Maradonna's capacities as a coach.

2 games in the bag up until this point. SA-MEX was pretty entertaining. Great great goal by Shabalala.

FRA-URU was boring as hell. France was the superior team but due to their lousy coach they played a tactic that couldn't succeed; they have great wingers but no one from the midfield who arrives in the penalty area to make use of these crosses from the flanks. Combine this with URU who were happy with a 0-0 and you get 90' of boredom.

Bretsky
06-12-2010, 09:29 AM
gave it a half hour; I'm done. Fan stuff is cool, althogh from a TV it sounds like a combo of a ton of swarming bees and Vikings Horns blowing constantly

Just too boring

retailguy
06-12-2010, 09:40 AM
gave it a half hour; I'm done. Fan stuff is cool, althogh from a TV it sounds like a combo of a ton of swarming bees and Vikings Horns blowing constantly

Just too boring

well, you gave it 31 minutes more than I did. I'm proud of you!

Tarlam!
06-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Woah. That inside USA defence looked aweful!

One down after 4 minutes of play is better than one down with 4 minutes of play left.

Tarlam!
06-12-2010, 02:02 PM
The US Ream is showing the Island Gorillas too much respect. Play the damned game; hard and fast! C'mon USA!

Tarlam!
06-12-2010, 02:11 PM
G O A L !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A gift from Mother England!!!!

1-1 with 5 to play in the first half!!!!

GO USA!!!!!

Tarlam!
06-12-2010, 02:12 PM
I gotta stop talking to myself.....

red
06-12-2010, 03:29 PM
after a shaky start the US played pretty solid, bet they're calling for heads in england right about now

good result

pbmax
06-12-2010, 03:57 PM
I enjoyed the game. But its hard to adjust to 75 minutes of setup and 15 minutes of actual attack. In football, you at least are monitoring down and distance. Baseball you are tracking outs and men on base. Every time the US kicked the ball back out of the England half to regroup I got depressed.

Loved Altidore simply going around his defender when he hit the post in the 2nd half. US does not seem to control the ball in the middle, shorter spaces as well as England. And the English guy Johnson constantly went around the US defense. I also thought the idea to simply put the ball on goal a few times (like hockey) was a good idea given the shakiness of England's goalkeeper.

It was fun. But I am not sure if I could sit through a normal games with countries I was not invested in. Maybe the final.

Island gorillas?

Gunakor
06-12-2010, 04:02 PM
The game didn't seem very close at all from 5 minutes on. US got a couple of good chances but only got one good shot on goal the entire game - and it wasn't even the one that went in. Lucky for that gift, as England was clearly the better team.

Kudos to Tim Howard for not letting it get out of hand.

RashanGary
06-12-2010, 11:26 PM
It was fun to watch. I'll be watching the rest of our games and maybe some other games.

I thought England played much dirtier. They were constantly kicking our guys in the thigh, stepping on ankles, tripping, etc. . . .

Tarlam!
06-13-2010, 07:11 AM
Island gorillas?

Their DNA is 96% of Homo Sapien's

Joemailman
06-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Vuvuzelas may be banned from tournament.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1286265/WORLD-CUP-2010-Vuvuzelas-banned-admits-organising-chief-Danny-Jordaan.html

wootah
06-14-2010, 02:36 AM
Although I hope you're right, Joe, I'm afraid this won't be the case. The reporters over here switched back to the old microphones which are closer to the mouth to limit the vuvuzela-noise for the viewers at home.

Regarding USA's match: as a neutral spectator I thought the 1st half was entertaining, the second far less. The USA captain (Bocanegra) played very shaky in the first quarter of an hour, had trouble with the quick Lennon and the goal was far more his fault than Onyewu's. Onyewu did what he was supposed to do when you play a 4 man zone defense; step out to the man with the ball. It was Bocanegra failed to close the center behind him. For me, Onyewu was USA's man of the match. Remember; he didn't play for a year due to an injury. I also liked USA's right back; not afraid to take on his man 1 to 1.

In general the tournament has started of slowly; all teams seem to be afraid to lose their 1st match, rather than trying to win. This is somewhat logic. The qualifying and build-up to the tournament has been going on for months now. If you loose your 1st match, there's a very big chance you will be eliminated, so no one wants to risk it. But this will change. If you are new at football/soccer; don't give up yet. The fun is just starting; as of the next set of matches, teams will HAVE to win, a draw is no longer sufficient which will undoubtedly add to the spectacle.

Also some amazing teams have not played yet. If you like attacking soccer, you should definately watch Holland today; they have great attacking players and they play full force for 90 minutes. That and they have the craziest fans in the world.

What I liked until now;
* Best player I've seen: Messi (ARG), no suprise there. Second place goes to French midfielder Diaby; he was fysically dominating Uruguay.
* Best goal: Tshabalala (RSA) during the opening match. Second place yesterdays header of Klöse (GER) against Australia.

Btw, Peter King's column about the world cup is the biggest piece of crap I've ever read. It must be nice to go to South Africa with your wife, watch the world's greatest sporting event, write some utter nonsense and get payed for it.

retailguy
06-14-2010, 07:42 AM
How is that any different than his football columns? :P

wootah
06-14-2010, 07:54 AM
How is that any different than his football columns? :P

He doesn't have the soccer players' cellphone numbers yet so he cannot use namedropping as much?

red
06-14-2010, 08:47 AM
i agree the vuvuzela's should go bye-bye. it only takes less then a hundred asshole blowing those things to drowned out the atmosphere of 40,000 to 90,000 other fans

i don't care if it is african tradition. you wouldn't allow someone to blare an air horn for a whole game.

i feel bad for the fans from around the world that have paid tens of thousands of dollars to go to the games and have to sit with that crap

this is by far soccer's biggest stage, their showcase, and there's no doubt that the horns are turning of a good majority of the people tuning in

pbmax
06-14-2010, 10:16 AM
He can be such a hack as a writer, which is unfortunate as he used to have such tremendous access to information that you couldn't get anywhere else except for Will McDonough.

I read someone predict this would happen after the first goal:

It had a goat -- England's goalkeeper Robert Green, who Bucknered

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/world-cup-2010/writers/peter_king/06/13/wc.thoughts/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0qqBfZeFQ

He is exactly right of course, except this goal did not turn a championship into a defeat.

crosbiegrad
06-14-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm Scottish so soccer is my first sport and naturally I cheer for anyone playing England and got a kick out of Altidore breezing past Jamie Carragher (he's a total prick). If your new to soccer I'd try giving one of the Dutch or Brazilian games a watch as your first game, they play much more attractive footie than the Uber defensive teams like France and Italy

pbmax
06-14-2010, 10:41 AM
... The USA captain (Bocanegra) played very shaky in the first quarter of an hour, had trouble with the quick Lennon and the goal was far more his fault than Onyewu's. Onyewu did what he was supposed to do when you play a 4 man zone defense; step out to the man with the ball. It was Bocanegra failed to close the center behind him.

This account from SI differs in assigning responsibility for that goal I believe. Can you identify where you agree and disagree with this?

We hear about players "switching off." Clark apparently forgot to switch on at the opening whistle. He lost track of Gerrard on England's first real surge. DeMerit couldn't contain Emile Heskey's target work as the England frontrunner led Gerrard perfectly. The Liverpool star's two touches were precise and the Three Lions roared.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/world-cup-2010/writers/steve_davis/06/12/usa.england.ratings/index.html#ixzz0qqHjOOjv

red
06-14-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm Scottish so soccer is my first sport and naturally I cheer for anyone playing England and got a kick out of Altidore breezing past Jamie Carragher (he's a total prick). If your new to soccer I'd try giving one of the Dutch or Brazilian games a watch as your first game, they play much more attractive footie than the Uber defensive teams like France and Italy

absolutely, brazil is the team that hooked me once upon a time. it was either the US world cup or the one before. but ever since then i try not to miss one of their games

very fun team to watch

Bretsky
06-14-2010, 06:12 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/soccer/96263754.html

Joemailman
06-14-2010, 08:27 PM
FIFA backs Vuvuzelas

"I have always said that Africa has a different rhythm, a different sound," the FIFA president Sepp Blatter said in a Twitter message on Monday. "I don't see banning the music traditions of fans in their own country."
Blatter went on to ask: "Would you want to see a ban on the fan traditions in your country?"
FIFA and Blatter have strongly backed the use of vuvuzelas since they were introduced to the wider football world at the Confederations Cup test event in South Africa exactly a year ago.

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/article/2010-06-14/fifa-backs-soutn-african-fans-on-blowing-vuvuzelas

pbmax
06-14-2010, 09:40 PM
A plus two on the side of the World Cup. Boobs: is there anything they can't do?

http://twitpic.com/1wtmer

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/115595955.jpg

swede
06-14-2010, 10:25 PM
#19 looks like an extra that wandered off the set of "Planet of the Apes Meets Invictus".

swede
06-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Those breasts will have to be numbed before I can examine them.

Num num num num num num num num num!

wootah
06-15-2010, 03:13 AM
Can you identify where you agree and disagree with this?

Of course. I'll try to show the standard set-up of a 4 man defense in zone. I've been studying this thoroughly to teach it to the 13 year olds that I'm coaching, so here we go :).

Standard position with the ball on the flank:

--O---------------
-X1---------------
-----X2------X4---
---------X3-------

O is the opponent with the ball. X1 should push him to the middle because that's where the spaces are small (a lot of defenders in little part of the field).
X2 supports X1 and is responsible for possible central attackers.
X3 supports X2 and is responsible for possible central attackers and together with X4 take care of the 'balance' in the defense.

Now if the man with the ball is in the middle, which was in the USA's case:

-----O---------------
-----X2--------------
--X1----X3---X4------

X2 steps out to slow this man down (Onyewu). What should happpen is that X1, X3 & X4 shut the middle down immediately, even if there is space available on the flanks, that's not as bad as space available in the center (where the goal is). One of the basic rules of soccer is to keep the middle crowded. X3 (Demerit) did this somewhat, while closely marking Heskey, who was still able to pass the ball behind X2 in the hole where Gerard appeared.

USA's situation with Heskey being O2 and Gerard O3:

-------O1-------------
--O3--X2-O2---------
X1--------X3---X4----

In my opinion, Bocanegra (X1) failed to close the center down and stayed to much to the left, leaving a hole behind X2's (Onyewu) back where the ball was eventually played in.

Now, this is the standard zone marking in theory. In practice variants can occur, it can be decided in the locker room that Clark (a midfielder) should play man to man to Gerard, in that case of course, he was responsible. Also, zonal defense is based on a lot of communication during the game; you're not following just one opponent so to make life easier on each other, the team should talk when players 'transfer' their opponent to a teammate. I don't know if there was any communication between Clark & Bocanegra on who should take who. This is not easy in the heat of the moment, and probably things happened too fast. In that case, it seems that the standard principle of 'pinching' the middle by X1 & X3 should've occurred which didn't happen. Bocanegra should've followed/closed down Gerard & Clark should've taken Bocanegra's position IMO.

A similar 'mistake' was made yesterday in Holland vs Denmark during the second goal; the centre back (X3) stepped out to slow Sneijder down. X4 failed to close the inside, Sneijder was able to get the ball to Elia who had room in the center to finish. The ball hit the post, but Kuyt followed up and scored.

------------O1-----------
------------X3--O2-------
---X1--X2---------X4-----

01= Sneijder, O2 = Elia.

wootah
06-15-2010, 03:51 AM
This account from SI differs in assigning responsibility for that goal I believe.

I just read the article you mentioned. I must say that the autor strongly underestimates the job of Jay DeMerit, a Packer fan BTW, who had to play against on of the top 3 players of last season (Rooney). I'm not saying DeMerit is the second coming of Alessandro Nesta, but he played very well last Saturday and certainly deserves a better rating than the '5' he got.

It seems that our QB is a better evaluator than the guys @SI.com: "been a big fan of his ever since I heard he was from GB. He played great v Rooney yesterday. Tell him hello n nice work " (from arod's twitter).

red
06-15-2010, 07:14 AM
FIFA backs Vuvuzelas

"I have always said that Africa has a different rhythm, a different sound," the FIFA president Sepp Blatter said in a Twitter message on Monday. "I don't see banning the music traditions of fans in their own country."
Blatter went on to ask: "Would you want to see a ban on the fan traditions in your country?"
FIFA and Blatter have strongly backed the use of vuvuzelas since they were introduced to the wider football world at the Confederations Cup test event in South Africa exactly a year ago.

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/article/2010-06-14/fifa-backs-soutn-african-fans-on-blowing-vuvuzelas

its not a dead issue yet.

the heads of fifa and the world cup will be meeting in the coming days to discuss the issue

theres still a chance to save the world cup

Freak Out
06-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Can you identify where you agree and disagree with this?

Of course. I'll try to show the standard set-up of a 4 man defense in zone. I've been studying this thoroughly to teach it to the 13 year olds that I'm coaching, so here we go :).

Standard position with the ball on the flank:

--O---------------
-X1---------------
-----X2------X4---
---------X3-------

O is the opponent with the ball. X1 should push him to the middle because that's where the spaces are small (a lot of defenders in little part of the field).
X2 supports X1 and is responsible for possible central attackers.
X3 supports X2 and is responsible for possible central attackers and together with X4 take care of the 'balance' in the defense.

Now if the man with the ball is in the middle, which was in the USA's case:

-----O---------------
-----X2--------------
--X1----X3---X4------

X2 steps out to slow this man down (Onyewu). What should happpen is that X1, X3 & X4 shut the middle down immediately, even if there is space available on the flanks, that's not as bad as space available in the center (where the goal is). One of the basic rules of soccer is to keep the middle crowded. X3 (Demerit) did this somewhat, while closely marking Heskey, who was still able to pass the ball behind X2 in the hole where Gerard appeared.

USA's situation with Heskey being O2 and Gerard O3:

-------O1-------------
--O3--X2-O2---------
X1--------X3---X4----

In my opinion, Bocanegra (X1) failed to close the center down and stayed to much to the left, leaving a hole behind X2's (Onyewu) back where the ball was eventually played in.

Now, this is the standard zone marking in theory. In practice variants can occur, it can be decided in the locker room that Clark (a midfielder) should play man to man to Gerard, in that case of course, he was responsible. Also, zonal defense is based on a lot of communication during the game; you're not following just one opponent so to make life easier on each other, the team should talk when players 'transfer' their opponent to a teammate. I don't know if there was any communication between Clark & Bocanegra on who should take who. This is not easy in the heat of the moment, and probably things happened too fast. In that case, it seems that the standard principle of 'pinching' the middle by X1 & X3 should've occurred which didn't happen. Bocanegra should've followed/closed down Gerard & Clark should've taken Bocanegra's position IMO.

A similar 'mistake' was made yesterday in Holland vs Denmark during the second goal; the centre back (X3) stepped out to slow Sneijder down. X4 failed to close the inside, Sneijder was able to get the ball to Elia who had room in the center to finish. The ball hit the post, but Kuyt followed up and scored.

------------O1-----------
------------X3--O2-------
---X1--X2---------X4-----

01= Sneijder, O2 = Elia.

Awesome....have you read a decent book on the Dutch concept of Total Football? I saw a book titled "Brilliant Orange" but haven't read it.

red
06-15-2010, 01:04 PM
get ready for a slaughter

Brazil against the #104th ranked team in the world

Joemailman
06-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Anarticle I read with morning suggested North Korea's ultra-conservative style might frustrate Brazil. It's 1-0 63 minutes in.

Was noticing that everyone on the sidelines and in the stands was wearing coats. Turns out it's 34F with a windchill of 24F. Guess I didn't expect that in Africa.

Bretsky
06-15-2010, 07:59 PM

USA ? :lol:

red
06-15-2010, 08:13 PM

USA ? :lol:

no, the commies. the north korean ones

they played a damn good game IMO. they were putting all their men in the box to try and stop brazil's attack

wootah
06-16-2010, 03:53 AM
Awesome....have you read a decent book on the Dutch concept of Total Football? I saw a book titled "Brilliant Orange" but haven't read it.

Glad you liked it. I did not read that book. I just looked it up on Amazon and it gets nice reviews, but the content seems to be focused on the general Dutch way of life, rather than soccer tactics itself. Now I already know more than enough of that since I'm from a neighbouring country :) I prefer the X's & O's.

I only got to see Brasil-N.Korea completely yesterday and judging by the samples from the other games, I did not miss a whole lot. I was a bit disappointed by the Brasilian team I must say. They played extremely slow the first half. On the other hand I was very impressed with how North Korea played: extremely well organised in their 5-3-2 formation and quick in the transformation from defense to attack. It's clear that they lack individual quality (that's what communism's all about, not?), but it was a nice example of playing as 1 unit. Brasil clearly has the exact opposite qualities, but yesterday their tactical plan could not convince me. Very little danger coming from the flanks; Robino, Fabiano & Kaka played too close to one another in the center and nobody tried to use the flanks. When they did in the second halve they scored twice. A-ma-zing goal by Maicon, who has been playing on a high level all season. Next match (against Portugal I believe) will tell us more of their chances, but judging from yesterday, I'm afraid they might lack quality in the attack & midfield to go all the way.

The game also provided THE images of the World Cup so far; during the national anthem, North Korean Jong Tae Se could not stop crying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1kusL894tM

The reporter later stated that this was kind of strange, since he is actually born & raised in Japan & lives there as well, so he never experienced the real life in North Korea. He likes Tupac, never leaves home without iPod, Nintendo or fluorescent Nikes and he is the only one of the team who has that kind of luxury. Strange what having your and your teammates families held hostage at gunpoint for motivational purposes can do to a man. Watch & learn, Belichick!

Today Spain plays. I'm not going to lie; up until now, the level of play in general has been very poor: teams are afraid to lose their first match. Hopefully Spain-Switzerland will be a bit different. Spain plays the most dominant football I've ever seen. Thanks to the 'Tiki-Taka' play, supported by their superior technique they keep the ball in their ranks as long as possible, thereby tiring the opponent. Should be a nice match.

Freak Out
06-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Holy Shit!

pbmax
06-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Swiss Neutralizes Spaniards

Doesn't that have to be the headline?

pbmax
06-16-2010, 07:31 PM
The Paraguay fan has had a few other photos taken. (http://deadspin.com/5565434/extremely-nsfw-in+depth-profiles-in-courage-larissa-riquelme-aka-paraguay-girl/gallery/)

http://cache-03.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2010/06/custom_1276713359063_paraguay6.jpg

red
06-16-2010, 09:49 PM
see if you can count all the homo's in the background of this picture of her

there's some guys doing the right thing and gawking and taking pictures, but others aren't even glancing at her

http://cache-02.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2010/06/custom_1276713312772_paraguay8.jpg

pbmax
06-18-2010, 09:27 AM
US is down a goal to Slovenia, 26 minutes in. They don't make it easy on themselves, do they?

red
06-18-2010, 09:38 AM
US is down a goal to Slovenia, 26 minutes in. They don't make it easy on themselves, do they?

thats what happens when you're not very good

the US doesn't seem to be able to set up any kind of offense

i can't stand donovan, IMO he's one of the most over rated players in the world. he never looks up to pass, he just puts his head down and runs as fast as he can

red
06-18-2010, 09:44 AM
we're done

0-2

these guys don't know how to play, they're a bunch of bench players and reserves on their regular teams

red
06-18-2010, 10:32 AM
the refs today in both games so far have been pathetic

Gunakor
06-18-2010, 10:41 AM
the refs today in both games so far have been pathetic

Agreed.

Gunakor
06-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Though the game has gotten much more interesting

red
06-18-2010, 10:43 AM
WTF just happened??????????????????

why the hell was that disallowed?

absolutely horrible

Gunakor
06-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Robbed. That was the worst call of the World Cup disallowing that goal. Disgusting officiating.

red
06-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Robbed. That was the worst call of the World Cup disallowing that goal. Disgusting officiating.

you really have to question the motive of the refs after what have happened to us and germany today

wootah
06-18-2010, 10:50 AM
you really have to question the motive of the refs after what have happened to us and germany today

Robbed indeed. I don't think it's a matter of motives, just not having a good ref can do that to you. What a shame.

red
06-18-2010, 10:55 AM

Robbed indeed. I don't think it's a matter of motives, just not having a good ref can do that to you. What a shame.

i don't know, its more then just bad

there was no offsides
we did not foul anywhere, not even close
and at least 2 or 3 of our guys were being fouled on the play and should have resulted in a penalty kick

there was absolutely nothing there to be called on us, and plenty to be called on the other team

wootah
06-18-2010, 10:57 AM
i don't know, its more then just bad

there was no offsides
we did not foul anywhere, not even close
and at least 2 or 3 of our guys were being fouled on the play and should have resulted in a penalty

there was absolutely nothing there to be called on us, and plenty to be called on the other team

You are 100% right, but I think it's just a bad ref, not that he's having a secret agenda.

Gunakor
06-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Does FIFA usually make statements to the media concerning specific questionable calls? I'd be very interested in hearing an explaination as to what happened there. I'm not usually one to blame a ref for a loss or a tie in any sport, especially one that takes 90 minutes of play to finish, but the GW being disallowed at nearly 90 minutes for no apparent reason is absolutely ridiculous.

wootah
06-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Does FIFA usually make statements to the media concerning specific questionable calls? I'd be very interested in hearing an explaination as to what happened there. I'm not usually one to blame a ref for a loss or a tie in any sport, especially one that takes 90 minutes of play to finish, but the GW being disallowed at nearly 90 minutes for no apparent reason is absolutely ridiculous.

Nope. If a mistake like that happens, usually the referee is no longer invited for other matches in the tournament. This will definately be this man's last game. Sucks for USA though.

BTW Red, if there was any agenda, it would favor the USA instead of midget Slovenia. We had a similar situation with Belgium where we lost 1-0 to Brasil and a goal was denied without valid reason. That's life without instant replay I guess, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Freak Out
06-18-2010, 12:16 PM

Nope. If a mistake like that happens, usually the referee is no longer invited for other matches in the tournament. This will definately be this man's last game. Sucks for USA though.

BTW Red, if there was any agenda, it would favor the USA instead of midget Slovenia. We had a similar situation with Belgium where we lost 1-0 to Brasil and a goal was denied without valid reason. That's life without instant replay I guess, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Horrible call....was it a mistake or did the guy have a grudge for whatever reason? Time to break out the waterboards. :)

There was absolutely no reason for the guy to flag that play. BS but that's how it goes.....stranger things have happened after all.

Great game though....the US team showed some balls and should have won against a pretty good team. Hopefully we make it out and can do some real damage.

Joemailman
06-18-2010, 04:16 PM
For those of us who don't know all the rules, what constitutes offsides in that situation?

Bretsky
06-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Did we win ?

red
06-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Did we win ?

no we got screwed big time

the ref made a phantom call on us that took away the winning goal with a few minutes left in the game

if the goal would have stood it would have been one of the more impressive come from behind victories in world cup history

the ref is under huge fine. sounds like FIFA is having an emergency review of the game tape and that its likely he won't be doing anymore world cup games

retailguy
06-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Did we win ?

do they keep score?

Joemailman
06-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Maybe he saw this holding, and got the uniforms mixed up.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/joemailman25/USA-WORLD-CUP-CALL-FOUL-OFFSIDES-MA.jpg

hoosier
06-18-2010, 09:22 PM
For those of us who don't know all the rules, what constitutes offsides in that situation?

If you're an offensive player who doesn't have the ball you have to have at least two defenders (including the goalie) between you and the opponents' goal. If the ball comes to you or if you otherwise get involved in the play and there are not two defenders between you and the goal, then you are offsides. Here is a pretty good explanation for what is sometimes a subjective call: http://www.offside-ref.co.uk/laws/11-offside-rule/detailed/

red
06-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Maybe he saw this holding, and got the uniforms mixed up.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/joemailman25/USA-WORLD-CUP-CALL-FOUL-OFFSIDES-MA.jpg

that was just one of the holds

I counted 4 of our players being held up and that kick, including one that was taken down

the amazing thing is how fast the whistle was blown. the ball was in mid flight, so taking into account reaction time, he had to have seen something right when the ball was being kicked

correction, 5, 5 players being held. watch this video and you can see them all

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/columns/story/_/columnist/hill_jemele/id/5302691/ce/us/lousy-way-settle-tie?cc=5901&ver=us

3 were being held in from of edu, one of which being wrapped up and thrown to the ground. and 2 behind edu being held. all of those could have been called, but the ref decided to call something that didn't happen

Joemailman
06-18-2010, 09:55 PM
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/176243/USA-WORLD-CUP-CALL-FOUL-OFFSIDES-MAURICE-EDU.jpg

Joemailman
06-18-2010, 10:44 PM
According to the Sporting News, the ref called holding on Carlos Bocanegra, and didn't see, or ignored all of the other holding.
http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/article/2010-06-18/analysis-coulibalys-call-on-bocanegra-disallows-us-goal

Jimx29
06-18-2010, 11:24 PM
How can ya not love this: http://snipurl.com/xjsc6

red
06-18-2010, 11:48 PM
According to the Sporting News, the ref called holding on Carlos Bocanegra, and didn't see, or ignored all of the other holding.
http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/article/2010-06-18/analysis-coulibalys-call-on-bocanegra-disallows-us-goal

when did he hold the other guy

heres a picture a commenter posted under that article. the red arrow is pointing to bocanegra(he's the head that you see in the headlock)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/Geaux4LSU/1-1.png

wootah
06-19-2010, 02:57 AM

If you're an offensive player who doesn't have the ball you have to have at least two defenders (including the goalie) between you and the opponents' goal. If the ball comes to you or if you otherwise get involved in the play and there are not two defenders between you and the goal, then you are offsides. Here is a pretty good explanation for what is sometimes a subjective call: http://www.offside-ref.co.uk/laws/11-offside-rule/detailed/

All this above AND the ball must come from a 'forward pass'; backwards pass or 'horizontal pass' can never lead to offside. Above that you cannot be offside if the pass comes from an opponents foot/head or if at the moment of the pass you're at your own half or after a throw in.

It's a shame what football has become when there's a corner kick or freekick. I don't know if there's a way back, but I'm all for giving a penalty kick everytime this wrestling takes place. After a couple of weeks filled with penalties, we might see some real football again.

Gunakor
06-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Another gift from England yesterday. Algeria played England to a draw last night, which means all USA have to do is beat Algeria and they're through with 5 points. Had England defeated Algeria that disallowed goal would mean much more than it does today. USA has to be stoked that their fate is still in their own hands. Win and they're through.

red
06-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Another gift from England yesterday. Algeria played England to a draw last night, which means all USA have to do is beat Algeria and they're through with 5 points. Had England defeated Algeria that disallowed goal would mean much more than it does today. USA has to be stoked that their fate is still in their own hands. Win and they're through.

who's the bigger disappointment this year? England or France? i can't believe how bad each has looked. and i just don't understand how farnce has been able to keep one of the best scorers of all time (Thierry Henry) on the bench while starting a guy in Anelka that seems completely incapable of scoring

edit, france just kicked anelka off the team LOL

wootah
06-19-2010, 02:32 PM
who's the bigger disappointment this year? England or France? i can't believe how bad each has looked. and i just don't understand how farnce has been able to keep one of the best scorers of all time (Thierry Henry) on the bench while starting a guy in Anelka that seems completely incapable of scoring

edit, france just kicked anelka off the team LOL

For now, definately England. France barely qualified to begin with; they needed a hand ball goal against Ireland to qualify. Their coach has been showing nothing but incompetence for the last years with a team that seems to be over its top. Henry is an example of that; his best days are well behind him. Anelka has always been a jerk, but he played very well for Chelsea this year.

England on the other hand won everything but one match to qualify. I'm not a big fan of them, but still didn't expect them to play this bad.

Don't think that the game against Algeria will be a stroll in the parc: they gave England much more problems than the USA did in their 1st game. It won't be easy, but I expect USA to win that one though.

SkinBasket
06-19-2010, 07:08 PM
the amazing thing is how fast the whistle was blown. the ball was in mid flight, so taking into account reaction time, he had to have seen something right when the ball was being kicked.

The best explanation I've heard was from some coach quoted in an article who said that sometimes a ref will regret calling the foul that led to the free kick, so to make up for it, he'll simply blow the whistle as soon as the free kick is initiated to kill the play, using some bogus ambiguous reason, and in theory he corrects his own mistake this way. Two wrongs making a right. Of course when the free kick leads to the winning goal near the end of play and several players on the free kick team were so aggressively fouled on the play, and all of this happens in a game televised around the world, then it becomes a little sticky - like it did yesterday.

If England hadn't blown their game, I would probably be put off enough by that call not to watch any more WC this year. As it is, I guess I'll manage the fortitude to watch the remaining US game(s).

red
06-19-2010, 08:08 PM
yeah i saw that too skin, i think it was the US coach (bradley) that said that. or at least i know he said something close to that

If he's making up for a bad call he just made that resulted in the kick, then why did he make the first bad call to begin with? and what has happened in the 2 seconds following that call to make him think it was the wrong call?

did he get too excited and blew the whistle by accident? did a gust of wind make the whistle go off? did he get lost in the moment and thought he had a vuvuzela in his mouth?

i can understand what the coach is saying, but i don't understand how a ref can change his mind so fast

i'm with you though skin. i almost lost all interest in the cup after that goal was taken away. i only watched the first half of englands game yesterday and i didn't watch any of the games today. i'm just too disgusted by how horrible that call was

SkinBasket
06-20-2010, 05:07 PM
i'm with you though skin. i almost lost all interest in the cup after that goal was taken away. i only watched the first half of englands game yesterday and i didn't watch any of the games today. i'm just too disgusted by how horrible that call was

Watched about 15 minutes of the Brazil game today. The ref was laughing with Fabiano about the non-called hand ball (twice) on Fabiano's 2nd goal. That can't play well. It appeared to be an amazing play that was then made much less so by non-called cheating. Twice. Blah.

red
06-20-2010, 06:48 PM
another horrible call today against kaka

biggest sotories from the world cup so far

1. annoying vuvuzela's
2. horrible reffing
3. France team meltdown
4. the games

wootah
06-21-2010, 05:24 AM
Lo & behold, a belgian ref is chosen for USA - Algeria: Frank Debleeckere. He's pretty good, but still human off course. People who don't like soccer because of the mistakes a referee can make must hate watching the NFL. Soccer has 4 refs, no cameras. Football has 7, cameras and often they still screw up.

It must be said that the refs were at a very high level at the beginning of the tournament. The last couple of games they have been screwing up terribly. The card for Kaka is just a prime example of that.
Bad reffing in the early stages has been a constant in World Cup history. The FIFA wants to be politically correct and thus invites the best referees of each continent, but the best ref in Africa is not exactly of the same level as the best ref in Europe. It's a bit part of the folklore of a WC, but when the consequences are this severe, it should not happen. I'm all for having 'grizzled vets' with experience in the top competitions in the world as referee at the biggest sporting event in the world.

Now about the French team, that's completely insane. They arrived with a lot of controversy in South Africa (like I said, they needed a hands-goal to qualify) and a couple of weeks before the World Cup it was discovered that a few players took the concept of teamspirit to another level when they made use of the services of the same underage prostitute. When you look like Franck Ribéry, I guess your options are limited...
http://www.uglymales.com/wc/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/franck-ribery.jpg

Now it seems like the whole team is on the verge of implosion. Incredible for a national team to behave like that.

SkinBasket
06-21-2010, 07:46 AM
People who don't like soccer because of the mistakes a referee can make must hate watching the NFL. Soccer has 4 refs, no cameras. Football has 7, cameras and often they still screw up.

I think people here get pretty upset when a bad call in the NFL costs a team a game.

It's not about "not liking" soccer for me. It about feeling cheated out of 90 minutes of competition when the game isn't decided by the players, but rather by non-calls and/or bad calls on the sport's biggest stage.

wootah
06-21-2010, 08:32 AM
It's not about "not liking" soccer for me. It about feeling cheated out of 90 minutes of competition when the game isn't decided by the players, but rather by non-calls and/or bad calls on the sport's biggest stage.

I understand and it sure sucks when it happens, but this is inherent to any form of competition where there's a human judge. There is pressure involved, interpretation, prejudices, ... It's not only in soccer that these mistakes happen at the biggest stage; remember Big Ben's rushing TD in the SuperBowl against the Seahawks?

Tarlam!
06-21-2010, 10:00 AM
who's the bigger disappointment this year? England or France?

Australia. They only have 1 point - New Zealand has 2 points. Oh, the shame....

red
06-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Lo & behold, a belgian ref is chosen for USA - Algeria: Frank Debleeckere. He's pretty good, but still human off course. People who don't like soccer because of the mistakes a referee can make must hate watching the NFL. Soccer has 4 refs, no cameras. Football has 7, cameras and often they still screw up.

It must be said that the refs were at a very high level at the beginning of the tournament. The last couple of games they have been screwing up terribly. The card for Kaka is just a prime example of that.
Bad reffing in the early stages has been a constant in World Cup history. The FIFA wants to be politically correct and thus invites the best referees of each continent, but the best ref in Africa is not exactly of the same level as the best ref in Europe. It's a bit part of the folklore of a WC, but when the consequences are this severe, it should not happen. I'm all for having 'grizzled vets' with experience in the top competitions in the world as referee at the biggest sporting event in the world.

Now about the French team, that's completely insane. They arrived with a lot of controversy in South Africa (like I said, they needed a hands-goal to qualify) and a couple of weeks before the World Cup it was discovered that a few players took the concept of teamspirit to another level when they made use of the services of the same underage prostitute. When you look like Franck Ribéry, I guess your options are limited...
http://www.uglymales.com/wc/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/franck-ribery.jpg

Now it seems like the whole team is on the verge of implosion. Incredible for a national team to behave like that.

yup, he is one very handsome frenchman

Joemailman
06-21-2010, 05:34 PM

Alexi Lalas on ESPN today suggested they send the French team home and replace them with the Irish. :lol:

red
06-21-2010, 06:45 PM

Alexi Lalas on ESPN today suggested they send the French team home and replace them with the Irish. :lol:

its sad that god's country was knocked out of the cup by these french assholes and then they show up and act like they don't even want to be there.

there's talk that some of the frenchies might boycott the next game

that's just sad. ireland or any other country would have loved to be in their spot and they just throw it away

if i was the coach i would bench all the team leaders like evra and ribery and play the reserves instead. then i would clean house after the cup and find a whole new team (players, coaches, etc)

Tony Oday
06-21-2010, 07:05 PM

its sad that god's country was knocked out of the cup by these french assholes and then they show up and act like they don't even want to be there.

that's just sad. ireland or any other country would have loved to be in their spot and they just throw it away

if i was the coach i would bench all the team leaders like evra and ribery and play the reserves instead. then i would clean house after the cup and find a whole new team (players, coaches, etc)

France sucks

red
06-21-2010, 07:10 PM

France sucks

+ 1 gazillion

pbmax
06-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Found a blog about tactics that is a pretty good read. He did not cover the 2nd US game that I can find, but two articles do cover the US team.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/13/england-1-1-usa-tactic/#more-3503

This gentleman explains his theory about the early goal by England. That Oguchi Onyewu has a habit of being pulled out of the defensive line (very close to the explanation provided earlier by wootah). However, he faults Onyewu for this, saying he is too easily drawn from his position (he refers to it as dragged toward the ball), leaving too much open area for his partners to cover. The point of their preview article (link below) is that this was happening in the preliminary rounds as well, pointing to a serious problem in the US defense.

He has a few nice diagrammed photos showing this happening elsewhere in that match, though it did not cost them any goals in those cases. The second diagram shows wootah's point about covering for the middle field teammate, but also reveals the problem of needing your teammate to come into the middle to defend the zone that you just abandoned. It leaves the wide guy completely wide open.

Here they cover the US pre-tournament: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/08/usa-world-cup-2010-tactics/

wootah
06-22-2010, 02:56 AM
Found a blog about tactics that is a pretty good read.

Very nice site, pb. I agree with the writer on the 2nd & 3rd example of Onyewu stepping up too soon, because in those cases the player with the ball was far away from the US goal and there was no immediate danger to shoot on goal. But in the 1st case, with the goal from England, he had to step up, if not Rooney had a free shot and you cannot let that happen with a player of this calibre.

It's funny that Onyewu is the one who is blamed for playing to high; if I'm not mistaken in the game against Slovenia he was the one who played too deep in his own half, eliminating the offside trap which caused the second goal for Slovenia.

Regarding your remarks on the French team, Red; some of them are already reality. It seems that some of the veterans have decided not to participate in the final match today. A true shame. Like I said before, the French arrived in South Africa under difficult circumstances. They have a crazy coach (who selects player based on their zodiac sign) who was not popular at all and before the WC it became public that after the tournament he would be replaced. That took away the little authority he still had and I believe that's also why Anelka thought he could insult him like that. The French Football Union also has its responsibility in this whole soap.

On a soccer related note, I thought Spain was very impressive yesterday. Fernando Torres, who's coming back from injury, will only grow during this tournament and I think their style of play will help them in the knockout stage when the opponents also try to attack instead of limiting the damage.

Gunakor
06-22-2010, 03:35 AM
On a soccer related note, I thought Spain was very impressive yesterday.

Spain are fun to watch when they're on like they were yesterday.

wootah
06-22-2010, 05:02 AM
Spain are fun to watch when they're on like they were yesterday.

I agree. They play a new variant of the old Dutch "Total Soccer" concept. Just keeping the ball in the team, quick short passes, a lot of movement around the ball. Very fun to watch, but oh so difficult to execute. You need players who are technically superior to their adversaries and a very good conditioning.

It must be hell to play against such a team. You saw that Honduras basically couldn't keep up; in the second half their midfield just could not run anymore.

Gunakor
06-22-2010, 06:06 AM
Chile v Spain is gonna be a good match on Friday.

I feel for the Swiss. They are gonna beat Honduras on Friday, finish group play with 6 points and a win over Spain, and be eliminated from the tournament based on the tiebreakers. That's gotta be a tough pill for them to swallow.

red
06-22-2010, 09:29 AM
france has been punched in the mouth and other then cissie, the french seem to be staying down

and now gourcuff has been given a red card

LOL, what a disaster

pbmax
06-22-2010, 10:08 AM
It's funny that Onyewu is the one who is blamed for playing to high; if I'm not mistaken in the game against Slovenia he was the one who played too deep in his own half, eliminating the offside trap which caused the second goal for Slovenia.
Overcorrection, maybe?

Freak Out
06-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Nice to see SA get a win vs France.

wootah
06-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Overcorrection, maybe?

That is possible. I looked at the 1st goal of Slovenia again. Guess what happens. Birsa gets the ball at the same spot as Rooney got the ball in England vs USA. This time Onyewu doesn't step up. Birsa nails it :)

It is very possible that Onyewu was told to play a little deeper, but Slovenia scored 2 goals because of it.

Joemailman
06-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Chile v Spain is gonna be a good match on Friday.

I feel for the Swiss. They are gonna beat Honduras on Friday, finish group play with 6 points and a win over Spain, and be eliminated from the tournament based on the tiebreakers. That's gotta be a tough pill for them to swallow.

Especially considering their loss was a 1 goal loss in a game where they had to play the final 60 minutes down a man. Even at that, they had a golden opportunity to score late.

Looks like Latin America could have 7 teams advance. For some reason I find that very cool.

Freak Out
06-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Heading over to my neighbors house at 5am tomorrow to watch the game with some hardcores....I'll start with coffee for sure but might end up with a beer....hopefully I won't be crying in it.

pbmax
06-22-2010, 05:13 PM
Overcorrection, maybe?

That is possible. I looked at the 1st goal of Slovenia again. Guess what happens. Birsa gets the ball at the same spot as Rooney got the ball in England vs USA. This time Onyewu doesn't step up. Birsa nails it :)

It is very possible that Onyewu was told to play a little deeper, but Slovenia scored 2 goals because of it.
SI named him as indicative of center defensive lapses in their 5 Things To Watch article. So he seems to be damned up or back. That would lead me to believe its more a matter of recognition and/or communication than simple positioning. Unless he is being let down by his fellow defenders.

red
06-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Heading over to my neighbors house at 5am tomorrow to watch the game with some hardcores....I'll start with coffee for sure but might end up with a beer....hopefully I won't be crying in it.

that whole plan just sounds stupid

first, you should be sleeping right now. then around 10 or 12 you go over to your neighbors house and start drinking

by the time the game starts you should be on cloud 9

Freak Out
06-22-2010, 07:13 PM

first, you should be sleeping right now. then around 10 or 12 you go over to your neighbors house and start drinking

I plan on trying to get some work done after the game......maybe it is a bad plan. :lol:

red
06-22-2010, 07:34 PM

I plan on trying to get some work done after the game......maybe it is a bad plan. :lol:

screw that

world cup = 1 month holiday

if women can get time off for having a kid we should be able to get 1 month off every four years for a sporting event

Bretsky
06-22-2010, 08:29 PM
I feel like the grinch when I say this
but
I kind of hope USA loses tomorrow so Sportscenter stops spending so much time on this stuff

The NBA Draft is in Two Days

red
06-22-2010, 08:55 PM
I feel like the grinch when I say this
but
I kind of hope USA loses tomorrow so Sportscenter stops spending so much time on this stuff

The NBA Draft is in Two Days

i don't think the US being in it or not will matter until the whole thing is over.

espn is the broadcaster for the whole thing, and they have a ton invested in it. they'll beat this horse for as long as they can

Bretsky
06-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Just lose Baby :lol:

Joemailman
06-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Bretsky just doesn't understand what the World Cup is all about.

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/world-cup-hotties-7.jpg
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/world-cup-hotties-4.jpg
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/world-cup-hotties-0.jpg
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/world-cup-hotties-8.jpg
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/world-cup-hotties-21.jpg
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/world-cup-hotties-35.jpg

wootah
06-23-2010, 03:27 AM
SI named him as indicative of center defensive lapses in their 5 Things To Watch article. So he seems to be damned up or back. That would lead me to believe its more a matter of recognition and/or communication than simple positioning. Unless he is being let down by his fellow defenders.

Like I said earlier, I don't think it's Onyewu's fault that Gerard scored. However when he stepped up @ midfield VS England when they played Heskey deep, or he didn't step up near the goal (2 * VS Slovenia), he was responsible according to the zone marking basic rules. I do have a lot of respect for the player Onyewu. Let's not forget that he had a very serious knee injury which made him miss the whole season. To come back from that and immediately play at this level is a remarkable feat by itself.

The Latin American teams are really playing well, each with their own style and qualities, even the 'smaller' ones: Uruguay playing 100% counterfootball with 2 deadly snipers up front in Forlan & Suarez & Chili's attacking prowess. Great tactical stuff.

On the other hand it's unfortunate that possibly all African teams will be eliminated after the first round. I think Yakubu will have some sleepless nights after the opportunity he missed yesterday.

wootah
06-23-2010, 08:57 AM
... and Onyewu is benched :)

red
06-23-2010, 09:22 AM
robbed again

that sure didn't look like offsides, need to see a replay

red
06-23-2010, 09:23 AM
saw the replay

that was another shit call, this is getting fucking ridiculous

wootah
06-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Incredible. This is by all means a top level European ref. Maybe soccer does need some sort of 'challenge' option like football.

red
06-23-2010, 10:14 AM
my god, put the fucking ball in the net

red
06-23-2010, 10:40 AM
jesus christ, 2 clear red cards not called

i call bull shit on fifa

red
06-23-2010, 10:48 AM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW

Gunakor
06-23-2010, 10:49 AM
MADNESS!!!!!!

That whole thing was set up by Tim Howard off the save. GREAT JOB TIMMY!!!

red
06-23-2010, 10:50 AM
MADNESS!!!!!!

That whole thing was set up by Tim Howard off the save. GREAT JOB TIMMY!!!

howard as easily been the MVP for the US team

wootah
06-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Hehe, sports can be amazing at times. Congrats on a well deserved qualification there!

Freak Out
06-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Great finish....a.goal like that makes the previous 90 minutes of BS worth it. :lol: Howard is amazing back there....his throws set up some good chances and he seems very calm even under pressure right now.

FYI....I stuck with coffee this morning. Must be getting old. :)

KYPack
06-23-2010, 12:36 PM
We vanquished the BS call by the anti-American ref!!!!

We win the group and go on to the knock-out.

Oh yeah!

red
06-23-2010, 03:21 PM
serbia gets robbed by a handball in the box, that really sucks

Joemailman
06-23-2010, 04:39 PM
How many extra minutes had been added? 2 or 3? Just wondering how close they were to running out of time.

Freak Out
06-23-2010, 04:42 PM
How many extra minutes had been added? 2 or 3? Just wondering how close they were to running out of time.

4 minutes were added.

Freak Out
06-23-2010, 04:45 PM
So we play Ghana on Saturday and if we win we play either South Korea or Uruguay.....holy fucking shit we have a shot at this.

Joemailman
06-23-2010, 05:34 PM
That crowd will be incredible. Ghana is the only African country left. Should be a great atmosphere.

hoosier
06-23-2010, 07:31 PM
So we play Ghana on Saturday and if we win we play either South Korea or Uruguay.....holy fucking shit we have a shot at this.

A shot to get to the final four. At which point the US will almost certainly face Brazil or the Netherlands, and that will be the end of the journey. But a berth in the final four would certainly be sweet.

mraynrand
06-23-2010, 09:29 PM

A shot to get to the final four. At which point the US will almost certainly face Brazil or the Netherlands, and that will be the end of the journey. But a berth in the final four would certainly be sweet.

O ye of little faith! Do you believe in miracles?

red
06-23-2010, 10:16 PM
i wouldn't get too cocky, Ghana is gonna be tough to beat

i was impressed watching them give germany all they could handle today

Harlan Huckleby
06-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Nation's Soccer Fan Becoming Insufferable (http://www.theonion.com/articles/nations-soccer-fan-becoming-insufferable,17553/)

Janovich's infuriating behavior first became apparent during a Super Bowl viewing party last February when he repeatedly used the phrase "American football" to describe the action on the field. In recent weeks, Janovich has also begun referring to the supposed suspense involved in choosing the players for the U.S. "side," and has struck up several extended but one-sided conversations concerning figures such as "Kaka" and "Ronaldinho," generally mystifying and alienating everyone he has come into contact with.

"Last week he was talking about how 'footy' was really heating up and asked me to come over for the 'friendly' against Turkey," said Janovich's friend Beth Gleason, who has known the only projected U.S. viewer of this year's World Cup broadcast since college. "I love Brad, I really do, but when he talks like that I want to punch him in the goddamn face. Especially because, when I asked him what he was talking about, he just said the same thing again, only slower. I was like, 'Brad, don't talk like that. People don't talk like that.'"

Freak Out
06-23-2010, 11:44 PM

Every game is going to be tough.....but it is not an impossible dream. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfHnzYEHAow

Gunakor
06-23-2010, 11:58 PM

Ghana's goalkeeper is outstanding. Kingson vs. Howard is gonna be one of the better goalkeeping matchups of the tournament.

pbmax
06-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Tommy Smythe, on ESPN Radio said that Ghana would be a better matchup for the US compared to either Germany or Serbia. I have no idea if he knows his stuff, he has been at ESPN for a while but that's about all I know. Its too bad if it was a handball that got them through though.

Question: Will there be a review of the yellow carded handball called on Beasley? The ref clearly missed it from the replay I saw. Same question with the yellow on one of the attacking American forwards/midfielders, who did not even graze the Algerian who then went down in a heap. The Algerian who punched Clint Dempsey should get a red card that will take effect for his next game at the World Cup in 2014.

Saw the second half. Teams that need to win and cannot play for a tie are far more fun to watch. It was like fast break basketball for the entire second half.

And that thought scares me about the change in NFL OT rules. Its obvious playing for a tie makes for a boring endgame. And the NFL has just made overtime a much more attractive proposition. I think they will live to regret this change.

Read that Gooch (Oneywu's nickname apparently) has looked more and more limited as the games went on. So he may not be entirely recovered from that injury.

Gunakor
06-24-2010, 03:20 AM
Question: Will there be a review of the yellow carded handball called on Beasley?

Probably not. And if there is, the findings will most certainly not be released to the public. After all, there was no review of the yellow card given to Findley for his "handball" (faceball) against Slovenia either. Accountability is not one of FIFA's strong suits.

wootah
06-24-2010, 06:12 AM
We vanquished the BS call by the anti-American ref!!!!

Unless he's bribed by the mob, NO ref has an advantage in making mistakes; mistakes hurt their career and their wallet.

pbmax
06-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Something you probably won't read after a Packers game:

In his post-match interview, Capello told reporters:

“The players were allowed to drink beer before the game. You can ask them. I changed something, I used my imagination. It was free South African beer.”

digitaldean
06-24-2010, 08:53 PM
The offsides call that wiped out the first goal was abysmal.

Dempsey was spitting up blood from the punch he got from the Algerian.

The refs did miss some blatant pulling on the Americans when Algeria had a corner kick late in the game.

All in all, I'd say they need 2 more sideline refs. They don't have to have instant replay but for crying out loud, at least have enough people out there to get the job done right.

The dives are bad acting at its worst.

I like Donavan's attitude, "We can bitch and moan about the calls, or go do something about it." (kind of paraphrasing here).

They came up when they needed to. Look at the finalists from 2006, both France & italy didn't make it out of their groups.

Like to see Germany beat England. Actually wouldn't mind seeing Mexico knock off Argentina in the round of 16. US can beat Ghana. But the US can NOT play like they did at the start of their last 3 games, otherwise they'll be roadkill in this knockout round.

MJZiggy
06-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Cut it out. I like Argentina.

retailguy
06-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Cut it out. I like Argentina.

so does gov. sanford.

MJZiggy
06-24-2010, 09:09 PM
For different reasons perhaps. :lol: Then again, were Aimar still around... :satan:

retailguy
06-24-2010, 09:11 PM
For different reasons perhaps. :lol: Then again, were Aimar still around... :satan:

maybe. maybe not. Perhaps Bretsky has you pegged correctly? she is pretty hot if I recall.

MJZiggy
06-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Aimar is a he. Pablo Aimar to be exact. The midfielder from the 2006 qualifying squad. HoooWEEEE! I think now he plays somewhere in Spain.

retailguy
06-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Aimar is a he. Pablo Aimar to be exact. The midfielder from the 2006 qualifying squad. HoooWEEEE! I think now he plays somewhere in Spain.

i was talking about maria belen chapur. i thought you were in love with someone from los lonely boys?

MJZiggy
06-24-2010, 09:20 PM

i was talking about maria belen chapur. i thought you were in love with someone from los lonely boys?

Alas, Henry is married. And that's lust, dear, pure and simple. I only love people I can actually have. Makes life much more interesting.

retailguy
06-24-2010, 09:22 PM

Alas, Henry is married. And that's lust, dear, pure and simple. I only love people I can actually have. Makes life much more interesting.

didn't stop gov sanford.

MJZiggy
06-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Didn't he eventually end up with the Argentine chick? Either way, SOME of us have morals. Don't believe the Guvner is one of us.

retailguy
06-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Didn't he eventually end up with the Argentine chick? Either way, SOME of us have morals. Don't believe the Guvner is one of us.

don't know. don't care. agree with you on that one. he isn't one of us. she was hot though.... not hot enough to lose his whole life over, but hey what the hell do I know?

wootah
06-25-2010, 02:10 AM
Saw Japan-Denmark yesterday. Great game, great play by the samurai squad. Denmark never seemed up to the challenge, just trying to use their height advantage, but literally falling short every time.

What a play by Deisuke Honda in preparing the 3rd goal for Japan!!! A flash of brilliance. Even if you do not know anything of football, or maybe not even like it, you've got to admire that display of skill. To dribble a defender like that is the soccer version of getting 'posterized'. You see it in the replay as well, the Danish guy just stops afterwards and looks for a place to hide :) Top class stuff by Honda.

I cannot see all games, but viewing the highlights, it's clear that playing time is over. Holland won, without too much effort, but they're a strong team, especially up front. The return of Robben will help them a lot, all though he sometimes has the same effect as CRon: wanting to do too much by himself. The 2nd goal they scored yesterday is 85% due to Robben's class, though.

In the other group, Slovakia & Paraguay advance, while Italy is eliminated. Italy has a bit of the same soccer problems as the French; they had a very good team some time ago, but important players quit and most of the ones that didn't, got old. Italy clearly missed the creativity of Totti & the injury of Pirlo only added up to that. It's time for them to start from scratch and try to build a new squadra. Saw a great piece on the Italian squad and its fans yesterday. They live & die by that team in 'the old country'.

Ziggy, Aimar plays for Benfica in Portugal btw.

wootah
06-25-2010, 02:15 AM
A final tribute to Italy
http://static1.hln.be/static/FOTO/pe/5/12/8/album_large_3764798.jpg

And for her fans @ Packerrats, Paraguay played again.
http://static2.hln.be/static/FOTO/pe/9/9/2/album_large_3764897.jpg

http://static1.hln.be/static/FOTO/pe/8/6/12/album_large_3764877.jpg

Gunakor
06-25-2010, 04:47 AM
So here's the million dollar question for Bradley come Saturday: Assuming he comes out in a 4-4-2 once again, who will he pair with DeMerit in the middle of that back line? Does he go with what worked against Algeria and start Bornstein again, much to the chagrin of many US soccer fans who feel that Bornstein doesn't deserve a spot on the WC squad to begin with? Or does he give Onyewu another shot even though he hasn't looked good all tournament and is likely still ailing from his knee injury?

wootah
06-25-2010, 07:28 AM
So here's the million dollar question for Bradley come Saturday: Assuming he comes out in a 4-4-2 once again, who will he pair with DeMerit in the middle of that back line? Does he go with what worked against Algeria and start Bornstein again, much to the chagrin of many US soccer fans who feel that Bornstein doesn't deserve a spot on the WC squad to begin with? Or does he give Onyewu another shot even though he hasn't looked good all tournament and is likely still ailing from his knee injury?

I wouldn't say that it worked against Algeria; those guys couldn't score a goal if the game lasted 2 weeks and you played without a goalie. If Onyewu is somewhat able to play, I'd give it a go. He's a force on set pieces against the physical play of Ghana. Although I must say I don't know any of the other centre backs in Bradleys selection.

Some nice games on today; Brasil - Portugal & Chili - Spain. Especially that last one might become a spectacle...

Edit: just discovered that Ghana only scored 2 goals this tournament, both via PK. Use Bornstein & let Gooch recover for the quarter finals, I say 8-)

HarveyWallbangers
06-25-2010, 09:48 AM
How did I miss this thread? I need to visit the Romper Room more.

I don't trust Bornstein to have two good games in a row. The guy is a crucial error waiting to happen. I guess he'd be better than an injured Gooch. It will all depend on how Gooch looks in practice. I doubt Bradley will start him, but I felt like Clarence Goodson was playing very well in the runup to the World Cup. I'd feel more comfortable with him than Bornstein. I'd keep the MF combination of Dempsey, Bradley, Edu, and Donovan. You have the option of moving Dempsey up later and bringing on Stuart Holden or bringing on Clark if you get the lead. I've been most impressed with Gomez paired with Jozy, but Bradley seems to like Findley. Findley has a lot of speed, but he can't finish and panics when he gets a chance. He reminds me of Eddie Johnson in that respect. He's a poor man's Cobi Jones.

HarveyWallbangers
06-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Question: Will there be a review of the yellow carded handball called on Beasley?

Probably not. And if there is, the findings will most certainly not be released to the public. After all, there was no review of the yellow card given to Findley for his "handball" (faceball) against Slovenia either. Accountability is not one of FIFA's strong suits.

Findley was carded for an even more absurd handball, and they didn't reverse the card. I don't think Beasley's was a handball, but the way he put his arms up made it hard to tell for the ref, and I'm still not absolutely positive that part of the ball didn't touch part of his upper arm. Findley took a ball to his face and clearly didn't hand the ball.

Gunakor
06-25-2010, 10:34 AM
I've been most impressed with Gomez paired with Jozy, but Bradley seems to like Findley. Findley has a lot of speed, but he can't finish and panics when he gets a chance. He reminds me of Eddie Johnson in that respect. He's a poor man's Cobi Jones.

Agreed on Gomez and Altidore starting. Findley would make a better second half substitute anyway, where his speed would be even more of a factor against a tired Ghana defense.

Freak Out
06-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Ziggy, Aimar plays for Benfica in Portugal btw.

I swear we had this conversation before. :)

mraynrand
06-25-2010, 12:51 PM
A final tribute to Italy

That's a small tribute

pbmax
06-25-2010, 01:08 PM
I am quickly reaching my limit on processing new information on the World Cup. So I am just going to post SI writer Grant Wahl's stuff and see what sticks. Essentially, he doesn't see Gooch playing even if healthy as Bornstein is faster and the Black Stars do not play much of an aerial offense. He has Bill Clinton's drinking buddy playing in the center with DeMerit and Bornstein on the left. Findley with Altidore and Clark with Bradley.

And the Italy supporter looked just fine. As a college roommate used to say, more than a mouthful is a waste. Everyone agrees with that, right? :lol:

United States-Ghana: Six Things To Watch For

JOHANNESBURG — Six things to watch for in the World Cup second round game between the U.S. and Ghana on Saturday (ABC, Univisión, 2:30 p.m. ET):

• Can the U.S. take advantage of this bracket? No game is easy in this tournament, but the Americans will never have a more workable path to the World Cup semifinals than this one. In fact, the U.S. (No. 14 in the latest FIFA rankings) is the highest-ranked team in its quadrant of the bracket, ahead of Ghana (No. 32) and potential quarterfinal foes Uruguay (No. 16) and South Korea (No. 47). These games aren’t played on paper, of course, and Ghana has beaten the U.S. before in the World Cup: in 2006, when the Black Stars eliminated the Yanks with a 2-1 victory. Still, Ghana is missing its best player (the injured Michael Essien), and the Ghanaians haven’t scored in the run of play during this World Cup, mustering just two penalty-kick goals. As for the revenge factor, there may not be much for the Americans. Only seven of the 22 starters from the ’06 U.S.-Ghana game (four from the U.S.; three from Ghana) are likely to be in the lineups on Saturday.

• Can the Americans rediscover their finishing touch? Landon Donovan’s 91st-minute goal against Algeria released a few kilotons of pent-up frustration not just because it saved the U.S.’s World Cup campaign in the most dramatic fashion possible, but because it also came after the U.S. had missed a series of scoring chances in the Algerian goalmouth. Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey and Edson Buddle all failed to convert good chances, and Altidore was particularly wasteful, launching a shot from seven yards over the crossbar. Altidore has found a way to be useful even though he hasn’t scored yet in this World Cup, but the time has come for the talented 20-year-old to hit the back of the net.

• Can the U.S. defense handle Ghana’s speed? Just because the Black Stars haven’t scored in the run of play in this World Cup doesn’t mean their attack isn’t dangerous. Forward Asamoah Gyan is a seasoned scorer who can challenge defenses with his speed. Midfielder Andre Ayew is just 20 years old, but he’s Ghana’s most creative player on the ball. And Kevin Prince Boateng is another relentless attacker. The U.S. doesn’t have the fastest back line, so it will be doubly important that the U.S. defenders play smart positions and cover well for each other. Will Oguchi Onyewu return to the lineup after being dropped against Algeria? It’s possible, but I’m doubtful. Ghana doesn’t play a lot of aerial balls into the box—Onyewu’s strong suit—and its team speed might better be handled by the faster Jonathan Bornstein at left back (with Carlos Bocanegra playing next to Jay DeMerit in the center).

• Which rising star will win the midfield battle? Two of the most promising young players of this World Cup will be going head-to-head in the central midfield: Ghana’s Kwadwo Asamoah, 21, and the U.S.’s Michael Bradley, 22. Asamoah, who plays for the Italian club Udinese, was the breakout star of the 2010 Africa Cup of Nations, leading an Essien-less Ghana on a surprising run to the final. Meanwhile, Bradley (who plays in Germany for Borussia Mönchengladbach) has emerged as one of the young stars of the World Cup, running off three straight sterling performances as the U.S.’s destroyer and midfield engine. Asamoah and Bradley both cover a ton of ground, and they’ll seek to put their stamp on this gargantuan game from the opening whistle. Whoever wins this battle will have a big advantage in the match itself.

• Could penalty kicks come into play? Now that we’re in the elimination rounds, I’d be surprised if at least a few games aren’t decided by penalties after a 120-minute deadlock. Could the U.S. handle the psychological pressure of having its World Cup rest on a series of spot kicks? We may find out. Donovan is the Americans’ first-choice penalty taker, and he has a remarkable record of success, having failed to convert only once in his U.S. career and setting the all-time record for conversion percentage in Major League Soccer. But Donovan has mysteriously failed to convert penalties twice in Cup finals: the 2007 Superliga final and the ’09 MLS Cup final. How would he perform from the spot on this stage? And who would be on the U.S.’s five-man list to take penalties? My guess: Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley, Bocanegra, Altidore.

• Will the referee play a controversial role again? The U.S. has had two legitimate goals waved off in the last two games, which makes you wonder if the Americans might be due some luck when it comes to the officiating crew. The man in the middle on Saturday will be Hungarian Viktor Kassai, who refereed the 2008 Olympic men’s final and is working in his first World Cup. (He also refereed Brazil’s 2-1 win over North Korea.) Kassai doesn’t have a major history of controversial decisions and is known as someone who doesn’t hand out many red cards, but he has been known to liberally pull out his yellow card. Kassai handed out five yellows in Fulham’s Europa League win at Wolfsburg (i.e., Clint Dempsey knows his work), and the Hungarian issued no fewer than 11 yellows in a single domestic match earlier this year.

My predicted U.S. lineup: Tim Howard; Steve Cherundolo, Jay DeMerit, Carlos Bocanegra, Jonathan Bornstein; Landon Donovan, Michael Bradley, Ricardo Clark, Clint Dempsey; Jozy Altidore, Robbie Findley.

What’s your take on U.S.-Ghana? Can the Americans keep their storybook run going? What else should we be talking about heading into the game?

http://worldcup.si.com/2010/06/25/united-states-ghana-six-things-to-watch-for/?eref=sihp

red
06-25-2010, 05:57 PM
US needs to learn how to bury the ball in the back of the net. last game they had a ton of chances, but couldn't put it away

lots of weak efforts IMO

red
06-25-2010, 05:58 PM
A final tribute to Italy

That's a small tribute

she'd be hotter if she didn't have a mans face and chest

hoosier
06-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Can the U.S. take advantage of this bracket? No game is easy in this tournament, but the Americans will never have a more workable path to the World Cup semifinals than this one. In fact, the U.S. (No. 14 in the latest FIFA rankings) is the highest-ranked team in its quadrant of the bracket, ahead of Ghana (No. 32) and potential quarterfinal foes Uruguay (No. 16) and South Korea (No. 47).

So true. If the US had finished second instead of first it would have been facing Germany, and then Argentina (likely) and Spain (likely). They're all tough, but some brackets look a bit tougher than others. If the US plays up to its potential it has a decent chance of getting to the semifinals.

Bretsky
06-25-2010, 09:46 PM
could we PLEASE POST MORE PIX ?

It's the only reason I visit in here :lol:

swede
06-25-2010, 11:20 PM
I think Miss Italy looks a bit like the Statue of Liberty.

I find her eyes to be delightful, and, though I could be forced to agree that she scores in the average range on several superficial components of attractiveness, I find that she appeals to my domestic side; add 50 pounds and twenty years of married bliss and she'd still appeal as she ever once did.

Freak Out
06-25-2010, 11:25 PM
I think Miss Italy looks a bit like the Statue of Liberty.

I find her eyes to be delightful, and, though I could be forced to agree that she scores in the average range on several superficial components of attractiveness, I find that she appeals to my domestic side; add 50 pounds and twenty years of married bliss and she'd still appeal as she ever once did.

She's gorgeous.

Freak Out
06-25-2010, 11:27 PM

Did you see the hot gal on gal vid I posted for you in the Brewers forum?

wootah
06-26-2010, 03:05 AM
What’s your take on U.S.-Ghana? Can the Americans keep their storybook run going? What else should we be talking about heading into the game?

USA has got a BIG mental advantage over Ghana. They are the wildcard more or less, since the got in at the very last second. Nothing to lose, all to gain. The match against Slovenia in mind, they won't back down even if Ghana scores 2 in the first half (which they won't). It won't be easy, it won't be a pretty match, but I expect the yanks to win it.

A lot of the success will depend on Altidore according to me. Up until now he has been playing good as a target man, but once he's in the box, he needs to use his qualities more to score. He's got the potential I think, he just hasn't taken it to the next step.

For those who didn't have the chance to watch Denmark-Japan 2 nights ago, check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FavJ9UQ4shI

Last goal is one of the greatest moments of the last 2 weeks.

mraynrand
06-26-2010, 08:38 AM
A final tribute to Italy

That's a small tribute

she'd be hotter if she didn't have a mans face and chest

You could probably say the same thing about Swede. Probably.

pbmax
06-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Order and Progress rarely look this stylish. But I have my doubts about this picture. If she was from Brazil, wouldn't the shirt be spelled Brasil?

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/dumpster_dash/girl_soccer_fans_26.jpg

pbmax
06-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Zonal Markings - Michael Cox - 6/26/10 (http://www.matchfitusa.com/)

USA v Ghana

The US start as favourites, but this one might suit Ghana tactically; they will be content to sit back and soak up pressure, before hitting the US on the counter-attack. The American full-backs have appeared a little slow in recovering their position after forays forward so far in the tournament, which will be perfect for the pacey Ghana wingers.

The best course of action for the US is to put the Ghana centre-backs under as much pressure as possible early on. Ghana will probably have a 3 v 2 advantage in the centre of midfield, so more direct balls towards the strikers (with Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan supporting very close by, something they did particularly well against England) might be a better approach than playing through midfield. In particular, 20-year-old Jonathan Mensah has looked slightly nervy so far, and Jozy Altidore should be able to get at him.

The midfield battle will probably be quite reserved. Both central midfields generally sit deep rather than look to make penetrative runs, so they may play in front of each other, and create a slightly static contest.

The US will dominate possession and territory – but finding a way past Ghana’s good defence won’t be easy. This one calls for all of Bob Bradley’s tactical ability – so far he’s generally got his team playing better after half-time, but below-par first halves won’t be acceptable in the knockout stages.

Freak Out
06-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Uruguay moves on.

pbmax
06-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Proof that in soccer, like football, everyone is really guessing before the game, this guy recommended by this MLS blog, sees Ghana as more of a threat from the air than Grant Wahl does and thinks Gooch plays if healthy to combat aerial attacks.

Redemption 2010: USA vs.Ghana (http://theshinguardian.com/2010/06/24/redemption-2010-usa-vs-ghana/)

In a late twist of fate and ecstasy, the United States gallantly and finally slipped one through the posts on Wednesday and emphatically punched their ticket to World Cup 2010, 2nd round.

Up next for the Yanks? The Ghana Black Stars, Africa’s last team remaining in the tournament and the United States slayer in the final group game in World Cup 2006. Ghana, who most expected would wilt in a tough Group D without their midfield quarterback Michael Essien, did the exact opposite.

With a steely win over trendy final four pick Serbia in the opening round and a draw against an undermanned Australia side, Ghana strode into the final game against UEFA powerhouse Germany with the group lead and with group scenarios in their favor. A 1-0 loss coupled with Australia’s narrow win over Serbia sent Ghana through to face the Group C-winning States.

Ghana employs a disciplined 4-1-4-1 formation that drops the fierce, but slight Anthony Annan–a more athletic Wilson Palacios or, better, a reincarnation of former England great Paul Ince–in the holding role traditionally held by Essien above an extremely seasoned defense.

How seasoned is the backline? From left to right it reads: John Paintsil, (a starter at Fulham in the EPL) John Mensah (formerly of Lyon and now shepherd of Sunderland’s defense), Jonathan Mensah (an extremely powerful and strong central defender who has stepped in for injured Isaac Vorheh) and finally Hans Sarpei (a shifty and sound player out of the Bundesliga).

Only Jonathan Mensah, no relation to John, is inexperienced, but he’s also candidate to start next year at Serie A side Udinese. He’s athletic and certainly no slouch–watch the Germany game. The back four is smart, tough, athletic and by my review only cracks when having to face spurts of tough pressure against the run-of-play. Against Serbia, especially, the fundamentals and cover of the defense was…..exceptional.

The Black Stars like to control things ahead with Annan in their midfield. They’ll play the ball around looking for chances to serve up to striker Asamoah Gyan (we’ll talk about his impact shortly), who’s making a run against the grain of the opponent’s defense. The midfield should have been a strength for Ghana, but Chelsea star (and my favorite soccer player) Michael Essien went down with a knee injury and volatile Inter Milan tracker Sulley Muntari has had a love-hate relationship with the team and coaching staff.

Muntari cursed the coaching staff after the Australia match, but was not Anelka’d back to the homeland. He’s, to date, been coming off the bench. Of the remaining midfielders, the States face yet another Portsmouth player in Kevin Prince Boateng who made news recently for relegating Michael Ballack to crutches for the World Cup.

It’s up top where the Yanks will have to contend with the biggest goal threat in Asamoah Gyan, but they’ll have the inside track on him. Gyan also fronts Ligue 1 Rennes, Carlos Bocanegra’s club. Gyan is widely considered the next superstar from the Black Stars and with good reason. He’s strong on the ball, extremely smart with technical runs and goes hard to headers.

That said, Ghana hasn’t been able to score this World Cup from the run-of-play. Both goals that Ghana have are penalty kicks. Beyond Gyan, Ghana lacks offensive creativity in the midfield and is also almost too disciplined going forward to take a risk and create an opportunity.

The Black Stars will try to move the ball using the flanks, but in a wholly different manner from the State’s last opponent, Algeria. Ghana will ping the ball from Annan in the holding role out to one of their wide midfielders. That wide midfielder depending upon what the defense offers has multiple plays including carrying the ball. The ball carrier will typically look for: A run from Gyan traipsing diagonally across the defense, a lead pass to an interior midfielder down the line or an overlap from the defender depending the situation and tempo of the game.

Beyond this Ghana typically lack offensive industry and will work the ball out of the corners, predominantly with service into the box or, less frequently, to a trailing midfielder for a shot right outside the box.

• Can the Yanks get loose down the flanks?

With Pantsill and Sarpei pushing up high and making runs for the Black Stars, the best way to counter this is the Yanks’ celebrated counter flanker counter. I expect Robbie Findley to start again with Landon and Cherundolo on the right right and attack Ghana’s left flank where they originated most of their attacks against both Germany and Serbia.

The States, who will deploy in their 4-2-2-2 this game, will use Bradley, Donovan and Dempsey for carriage against the pressing Ghana defenders and hope to unlock their own diaganol runs from Altidore or Findley. That’s how to beat the Ghana defense.

The Yanks are going to need Findley to be better with his final ball in this one for sure.

• Where Gyan goes, you follow

A slight variation on the popular supporter’s group chant, huh?

There is no question that Asamoah Gyan is the space creator and catalyst for the entire Ghana offense. Gyan is a strong, swift and aggressive lone striker who will float in the center of the pitch and then lay off a pass for a midfield shot, make a diagonal run down the flank to open space or take a fly pattern between a central defender and a winger.

The Yanks must know where Gyan is at all times and, more importantly, always have a man responsible for him. Always.

• The US defense must be ready to go aerial

Whether it’s a service piece in the box to strong and tall central defenders Mensah(s) coming forward or to Gyan in the run-of-play, the Yanks will be tested in the air in the box more in this game than any other. DeMerit needs to have a mistake-free day and Oguchi Onyewu, with a little rest, should be ready for the advancing defenders for Ghana in the box.

• Convert your chances and seize the momentum

Ghana is weakest when they are defending an up-tempo game and unable to keep defensive shape. Both Germany and Australia preyed on this by taking their chances in bunches. The Yanks will need to seize these few momentum-based opportunities and bury their shot(s).

• Calmness in the corners

Where the Yanks can get exposed is in their defensive third on a turnover–and needing to possess and move the ball beyond the halfline. Throwing a long ball up over top to Jozy Altidore won’t be as successful this game because Ghana are very strong defensively as well in the air.

For diehard Yanks’ fans, I unfortunately, take you back to the United States scattered approach to linking in their 3-1 loss to Denmark in a friendly in November. The Yanks were lacking calmness on the ball and not checking back to support the ball carrier. Of course, Frankie Hedjuk was the most victimized defender and he’s not in the 23.

That said–and you read it here–the Yanks will need to support their outside fullbacks and midfielders on the turnover or they might leave their defense hung out to dry on a counter.

G: Tim Howard

The skinny: Howard and friends will be challenged in the air in this one. Will Howard’s recovery from the blow to the ribs make him reluctant to come out. Watch for Howard’s positioning–and marshalling of the defense–on vital set pieces into the box. This will be a key.

DEF: Steve Cherundolo, Jay DeMerit, Oguchi Onyewu, Carlos Bocanegra

The skinny: Ghana is a limited offensive team that is swift, more than speedy. Many reports I’ve read label Ghana as fast and quick. The reality is that they move the ball methodically and will only play a break if it’s there.

Of bigger concern to the Yanks is staying disciplined and combatting aerial confrontations. That’s why I see Onyewu back in there–*if fit which no one really knows–and Boca sliding back out left.

MID: Landon Donovan, Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu, Clint Dempsey

The skinny: No changes here. Bob Bradley has not deployed Dempsey up top to start in a World Cup qualifier or World Cup preferring to use what appears to be a pre-meditated pattern of moving Dempsey up as necessary after the break.

This is definitely a game for Stu Holden and/or Benny Feilhaber, but I’m not sure I see either starting.

STR; Robbie Findley, Jozy Altidore

The skinny: I only see Altidore as a possible non-starter here if it’s deemed his tank is a little empty. But expect these starters.

• The Yanks stick with their “Battle of Algiers” defense

Will Bornstein remain on the left side? A lot of this will depend on how often Bradley wants to get his outside backs forward and the health of Oguchi Onyewu–two things were not privy to at TSG.

• An early appearance for Benny or Stu?

I don’t expect either of these players to start, but I’m willing to bet that one or both will be introduced on the flank in this one–see “Calmness in the corners” bullet point from above

Pivotal player: Robbie Findley

ThunderDan
06-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Well, I watched the game today and it was fun to watch. The WC built up some excitement for me.

But truth be told I won't watch another soccer game until 2014.

Thanks for the exciting 2 weeks.

red
06-26-2010, 04:15 PM
good, that's over

now i can start cheering for the teams and players i actually like, not despise

i've been trying to figure out why the american team just hurts my eyes so much. i think they're just not that good. they're scrappy and they don't give up, but the talent just isn't there.

for 1 they hardly ever set up anything. they pass the ball 2 or 3 times, then send it long and hopes someone gets there. maybe one reason why they don't set up plays is because they have no touch what-so-ever. it drives me nuts when several longer passes come up well short only to watch a 5 yard pass hit so hard that it bounces 30 yards of the player it was intended for

why are we sending high balls? i didn't see us win one header today that was contested. and when we were wide open for a headed pass we come nowhere close to pass to one of our own players

the defense is horrible, and has been all cup

the US needs to find a real striker. altidore looked horrible IMO all tournament, he looks lazy and clumsy. for all the hype on him coming into this thing, i thought he was pathetic. you're from guys should be your main scoring threat and our guys are really no threat at all. its our midfield guys that do the scoring. we're go to find someone dangerous up from

like i said before, they have to learn how to shoot the ball, sending a weak shot at the keepers belly from point blank is not a good effort. that last goal from ghana was a thing a beauty. weak scoring attempt all around for us

US soccer will be able to win some games just on guts alone, but they have a very long way to go before they can be considered contenders IMO

pbmax
06-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Well, that just stinks out loud. They were clearly wiped out by the end of the first 90 and had precious little left in OT. Nice that Donovan delivered on the penalty kick. Why did Dempsey take the free kick and then proceed to blast it low into a defenders thigh?

The Shin Guardian blog will be getting my business in the future (probably starting in Spring 2014) again as he called the Ghanians(?) as better in the air and pointed out that Benny Feilhaber would be necessary to organize an offense. He also called that Ghana would be more effective in the air than the US.

I don't agree about Altidore. He did struggle to finish a couple of opportunities overall but he also setup several others, including Donovan's winner I think. The blogs predicted Altidore would be hard pressed to be effective this game as the Ghana defense was well prepared to neutralize him. Despite that, the US had several opportunities and again failed to find the back of the net. I think rather than raw talent, they need better efforts here.

I do agree they tried to go long too often. Some of the best offense was setup going through the passing lanes in midfield. They could be better here, as it was clear most teams had midfielders who could retain possession better than the US. I enjoyed it. I will probably watch the England and Brasil matches.

red
06-26-2010, 05:11 PM
both games tomorrow should be fun to watch

if you haven't seen messi and the argentines play then you've really missed out

Freak Out
06-26-2010, 05:15 PM
What a bummer of a game....Ghana played great D and neutralized pretty much everything that came at it over the middle. We had a few chances but just could never get a good foot on it.....even Donovan's free kick hit the post. Having to substitute early hurt as well.

That last goal by Ghana was a thing of beauty....even a fan of the US can appreciaate that. :lol:

With about three minutes left someone watching with me said it was ok because Ghana was the last African team in the tournament so we should root for them.....I reminded them (a little to harshly I might add) that there was time left and I was still rooting for the USA. That's when she called me a "Palin". :lol:

Freak Out
06-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Clark killed us as well....almost forgot about that turnover.

hoosier
06-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Well, that just stinks out loud. They were clearly wiped out by the end of the first 90 and had precious little left in OT. Nice that Donovan delivered on the penalty kick. Why did Dempsey take the free kick and then proceed to blast it low into a defenders thigh?

The Shin Guardian blog will be getting my business in the future (probably starting in Spring 2014) again as he called the Ghanians(?) as better in the air and pointed out that Benny Feilhaber would be necessary to organize an offense. He also called that Ghana would be more effective in the air than the US.

I don't agree about Altidore. He did struggle to finish a couple of opportunities overall but he also setup several others, including Donovan's winner I think. The blogs predicted Altidore would be hard pressed to be effective this game as the Ghana defense was well prepared to neutralize him. Despite that, the US had several opportunities and again failed to find the back of the net. I think rather than raw talent, they need better efforts here.

I do agree they tried to go long too often. Some of the best offense was setup going through the passing lanes in midfield. They could be better here, as it was clear most teams had midfielders who could retain possession better than the US. I enjoyed it. I will probably watch the England and Brasil matches.

Argentina is fun to watch as well.

HarveyWallbangers
06-26-2010, 10:51 PM
I disagree with red about this team. What he described was the USA teams of the past. This team has more skill and they do possess the ball a lot better than previous USA teams. (Of course, they aren't Brazil, but they are a ton more fun to watch than previous USA teams.) They did resort to the long ball way too much in the last bit of this game. Not sure if they were getting gassed or what. Of course, that type of play is what scored the game winner for Ghana.

We lost. It's sport. The stalling at the end of Ghana was overboard. It's what I hate most about soccer. Diving and stalling. It's supposed to be "the beautiful game"--yet the ridiculous theatrics remain. Bad sportsmanship in my mind.

Bretsky
06-26-2010, 11:54 PM

Did you see the hot gal on gal vid I posted for you in the Brewers forum?

no; I will go there now

Bretsky
06-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Congrads to Ghana. Bring on baseball, football, and basketball

red
06-27-2010, 10:53 AM
now that was an all out ass kicking by germany. totally outclassed england

more proof though that fifa needs to use replay after the england goal that the refs said wasn't a goal

Freak Out
06-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Man...... what a beat down by Germany. A English acquaintance walked out after the first Mueller goal late in the game rather than go postal.

Joemailman
06-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Man...... what a beat down by Germany. A English acquaintance walked out after the first Mueller goal late in the game rather than go postal.

Somebody say something about going postal?

Joemailman
06-27-2010, 12:51 PM
It must be driving Ireland crazy to be sitting at home while England and France disappoint. Can someone explain to me how the qualifying works? How do you end up with 2 Korean teams (North Korea was terrible), and yet Ireland had to play a qualifying match with France?

red
06-27-2010, 02:04 PM
add mexico to the list of teams that have been screwed over by a horrible call

side judge was clearly not paying attention to the game on the tevez goal

wootah
06-27-2010, 02:28 PM
It must be driving Ireland crazy to be sitting at home while England and France disappoint. Can someone explain to me how the qualifying works? How do you end up with 2 Korean teams (North Korea was terrible), and yet Ireland had to play a qualifying match with France?

You have a federation by part of the world; uefa in europe, CAF in africa... Qualifications happen by federation, uefa has X teams which can qualify, CAF has Y teams. in Europe teams are divided in groups (after lottery), the first of each group qualifies directly. The best nr.2's decide in 2 games who also goes. That's pretty much how it happens.

Man, this is a black day for soccer today. I've never seen so many mistakes in such a short time at the highest level. I think soccer will change in the future. Camera's will be allowed, this cannot continue like this. Sunday 27th of June 2010 will be the day that soccer changed for good.

Joemailman
06-27-2010, 02:55 PM
That was an incredible kick on Argentina's 3rd goal. Unstoppable. Hopefully, we'll see more of that instead of bad calls that have understandably been such a topic of discussion.

Should be a great match between Argentina and Germany.

wootah
06-27-2010, 03:00 PM
That was an incredible kick on Argentina's 3rd goal. Unstoppable. Hopefully, we'll see more of that instead of bad calls that have understandably been such a topic of discussion.

Hernandez followed your advice :)

red
06-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Man, this is a black day for soccer today. I've never seen so many mistakes in such a short time at the highest level. I think soccer will change in the future. Camera's will be allowed, this cannot continue like this. Sunday 27th of June 2010 will be the day that soccer changed for good.

soccer has embraced technology in almost every way possible. we have balls that change all the time that refuse to fly straight, shoes designed to put maximum spin on balls, jerseys that are now body suites. magic spray that cures anything from a little bump to AIDS. Clubs tearing down their classic stadiums to build big massive modern monstrosities with all the fancy technological bells and whistles. our broadcasts have mikes down on the pitch so we can hear everything, and 1,000 HD cameras so we can catch every slice a grass that flies into the air.

technology is everywhere in soccer, except for when it could help the officials

the officials are there to make sure teams play by the rules and its all fair and on the level. we have the technology to help that aspect of the game. my god, use it

with all the eyes of the world watching and being able to see every missed call, its only a matter of time before disgruntled fans take out their frustrations on a ref that costs their team a huge match

Freak Out
06-27-2010, 09:22 PM

soccer has embraced technology in almost every way possible. we have balls that change all the time that refuse to fly straight, shoes designed to put maximum spin on balls, jerseys that are now body suites. magic spray that cures anything from a little bump to AIDS. Clubs tearing down their classic stadiums to build big massive modern monstrosities with all the fancy technological bells and whistles. our broadcasts have mikes down on the pitch so we can hear everything, and 1,000 HD cameras so we can catch every slice a grass that flies into the air.

technology is everywhere in soccer, except for when it could help the officials

the officials are there to make sure teams play by the rules and its all fair and on the level. we have the technology to help that aspect of the game. my god, use it

with all the eyes of the world watching and being able to see every missed call, its only a matter of time before disgruntled fans take out their frustrations on a ref that costs their team a huge match

It's pretty crazy that in the times we live in and all the technology available to the individual let alone an origination like FIFA and they refuse to use it to make the game better. The broadcaster shows every mistake in glaring detail but they still refuse to change. There are ways to do it that won't slow down the game and make for a better sport.

Joemailman
06-27-2010, 09:51 PM
In a sport where 2 goals is enough to win most games, and 3 goals is an offensive explosion, to have goals allowed/disallowed because of an obvious official error is really damaging to the sport. They better hope there aren't any major blown calls in the final game in 2 weeks. Then again, maybe that's what it will take for FIFA to see the light,

wootah
06-28-2010, 06:13 AM
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/Assets/Images_Upload/2010/06/28/illusie2.jpg.h380.jpg.568.jpg

I'm curious on how the FIFA is going to handle this. Just saying that they need technological help is very general; only for goalline cases? Or also offsides? Or all fouls? How do you stop the game then? What in the case of the USA - Slovenia where the ref whistled and then within the next seconds USA scores?

On what level are you going to add it? Just World Cups or also all national competitions? Who pays the cost of the equipment? Not that easy...

Last season the UEFA experimented with adding 2 refs; one next/behind each goal. Yesterday I heard that this would be also used in the Champions League next season.

Gunakor
06-28-2010, 08:41 AM
How do you stop the game then?

By blowing the damn whistle. Same way NFL or NBA officials would stop the game to make sure they get the call right.

Replay has a place in EVERY sport whose officials rely on eyesight alone. At EVERY level. The human eye is simply unreliable in real time, and it's much more important IMO to have near perfect officiating than it is to finish a game in a timely manner. That's true whether you're playing for your middle school or playing for the US National team. To do otherwise is incredibly unfair to the players who put so much into the game.

wootah
06-28-2010, 08:55 AM
How do you stop the game then? it's much more important IMO to have near perfect officiating than it is to finish a game in a timely manner.

They once experimented stopping the clock in soccer for every free kick, throw in, etcetera somewhere in the late '90s. They are still playing the second half as we speak, I believe.

Adding such a infrastructure for all level teams is impossible. You cannot expect all teams in all divisions to have that financial power, nor personel able to use it. That's not realistic.

What for fouls in the box? The foul is by definition an interpretation of the ref since a lot of it depends on the intention of the players, so it's a bit simplistic to think camera's would solve all. I agree with goal line situations like in England yesterday, because it's very obvious, but the others are a bit trickier than you might think.

Gunakor
06-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Adding such a infrastructure for all level teams is impossible. You cannot expect all teams in all divisions to have that financial power, nor personel able to use it. That's not realistic.

What for fouls in the box? The foul is by definition an interpretation of the ref since a lot of it depends on the intention of the players, so it's a bit simplistic to think camera's would solve all. I agree with goal line situations like in England yesterday, because it's very obvious, but the others are a bit trickier than you might think.

A $200 digital video recorder from Best Buy is far more reliable than the human eye is, especially in real time. And any soccer mom be trained to use one for the price of a couple tickets to the game. Video technology is not expensive, so there isn't a whole lot of financial power required. The point is to get it right, not to get it right in High Definition.

Besides, most professional clubs play in front of TV cameras anyway. Use that feed. You've just eliminated the need for private video equipment and privately trained people to use it. The local and/or national media will provide that just by doing their own jobs at no added expense to the club. The advertising will pay for it. It can be done.

red
06-28-2010, 01:24 PM
i think you do the replay for all top division, they can afford it, uefa games, and of course the world cup

first off you bring in the balls with the chips in them to let refs know when there's a goal. i guess this technology is already here. use the feeds from the tv cameras and have an extra ref that watches a bank of screens, if he sees something he can buzz the ref, or send down a video to some form of hand held device.

there's nothing you can do about fouls called in the box, those are what they are. but they should be able to review a goal like tevez had where is was clearly off sides, or the american goal that was taken away for off sides that clearly was not.

just like in american football, if the whistle blows the play is dead. if a guy is called off sides and the whistle blows, everyone stops, and he kicks in into the goal. then that you couldn't review. i guess i'm saying you can take a goal away but not give one

also i would love if they were able to see a replay of some of these flops and then punish the flopper. like when keita ran into the back of kaka and acted like kaka elbowed him in the face drawing a second yellow. a quick review of a few seconds would show the ref that nothing happened. then you give keita a red. that might stop some of the flopping and theatrics.

fifa has come out today and said the only mistake that was made on the tevez no call, was that the replay was shown in the stadium, showing all the fans that the ref screwed up. what a joke

fifa is just killing themselves in this world cup. i bet they managed to turn off more fans to the game then they've managed to gain. at least i know they have in the US

wootah
06-28-2010, 01:29 PM
The problem with your proposal, Red, is that the goal against Slovenia didn't count either with those rules. So even that way, it's not fail safe.

red
06-28-2010, 04:50 PM
The problem with your proposal, Red, is that the goal against Slovenia didn't count either with those rules. So even that way, it's not fail safe.

was that the offsides? in cases like that you would have to tell the refs to let the play finish if there is any question on an offsides. if there is a goal, then you review it. if it was offsides then you take the goal away. if he was on, it stands.

the big question will be what can be reviewed and what can't. and instant replay isn't going to fix everything, but correction some mistakes is better then not fixing any

red
06-28-2010, 05:10 PM
brazil started their tournament today. WOW

when their on, nobody 's going to beat them.

just a thing of beauty to watch play

wootah
06-29-2010, 04:10 AM
With the goal against Slovenia, the ref blew his whistle when the ball was in the air.

Great display of Brazil indeed! Holland will have to be in top form to survive that confrontation. It must be said that Chile suffered from having 2 of their back 3 defenders suspended; a recurrent problem smaller countries have in each tournament.

Brazil was able to substitute 2 of their 4 midfielders without missing a heartbeat and besides the first 15 minutes, it never looked like a loss for them was possible.

The remaining teams as they rank right now for me:
Tier 1: Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina
Tier 2: Holland, Portugal, Uruguay
Tier 3: Japan, Paraguay, Ghana

wootah
06-29-2010, 04:50 AM
Like I predicted Sunday: moments ago, Sepp Blatter, president of the FIFA, offered his apologies to England & Mexico and stated that the use of technology will be reviewed by the FIFA once again.

Freak Out
06-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Portugal has had the better chances in the first half....Bom Dia Baby!

Joemailman
06-30-2010, 04:18 PM
A plus two on the side of the World Cup. Boobs: is there anything they can't do?

Paraguay fan says she will run naked through the streets if Paraguay wins the cup. You got a better reason to cheer for a certain team?
http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010/06/29/larissa-riquelme-will-run-naked-through-the-streets-if-paraguay-wins-the-wold-cup/

hoosier
06-30-2010, 08:29 PM

Paraguay fan says she will run naked through the streets if Paraguay wins the cup. You got a better reason to cheer for a certain team?
http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010/06/29/larissa-riquelme-will-run-naked-through-the-streets-if-paraguay-wins-the-wold-cup/

Run? Naked? What are the odds that she will make it two blocks without knocking herself out cold? :lol:

Freak Out
07-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Go Paraguay!

wootah
07-01-2010, 04:00 AM

Maradonna promissed the same thing for Argentina. Unfortunately they have a stronger team.

retailguy
07-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Go Paraguay!+1

Freak Out
07-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Tiptoe through the mother fucking tulips baby!

Gunakor
07-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Down goes Brazil.

red
07-02-2010, 01:15 PM
i was pretty disgusted by the amount of flopping the dutch were doing early on. it clearly screwed with the heads of the brazillians.

its sad that acting was a major part of that outcome. robben should have gotten stomped in the nuts, not just the back of the leg, guy would act like he was shot everytime another player got within 3 yards of him

that was everything that is wrong with soccer IMO. cowardly win by the dutch

Gunakor
07-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah, agreed Red, but the fault still lies with Brazil for that loss. You gotta maintain discipline regardless what your opponent is doing. Don't allow them to fuck with your heads. Ever. Play your game, not theirs. Brazil didn't do that and now they're going home. They have nobody to blame but themselves.

wootah
07-02-2010, 04:29 PM
F*cking hell I feel bad for Ghana. If Suarez doesn't get a suspension that INCLUDES the final, football loses its credibility. Reflex or not, he just took away a sure goal of Ghana in the last minute and gets celebrated like a hero afterwards. Understandable, but disgusting.

Freak Out
07-02-2010, 05:35 PM
F*cking hell I feel bad for Ghana. If Suarez doesn't get a suspension that INCLUDES the final, football loses its credibility. Reflex or not, he just took away a sure goal of Ghana in the last minute and gets celebrated like a hero afterwards. Understandable, but disgusting.

The ugly nationalist in me wanted Ghana to go down after knocking the USA out the way they did :lol: but not like that......Suarez did what he did but fuck....knock it home on the penalty for Pet's sake.

Amazing games though....the spectacle that is the worlds cup!

Freak Out
07-03-2010, 10:47 AM
German domination.

red
07-03-2010, 02:59 PM
German domination.

very scary, man they're good

Freak Out
07-03-2010, 09:03 PM
German domination.

very scary, man they're good

Spain has a great goalkeeper but if Germany plays the way it has he'll be hard pressed to keep balls out of the back of the net.

Did Mueller get a card that will keep him out against Spain?

wootah
07-04-2010, 04:21 PM
They are scary good, indeed, but if there's one team who can beats them, it's Spain. The spanjards will just keep the ball to themselves and let the Germans run. Unfortunately the Germans won't mind and will not stop running.

The team who scores first, will win it.

retailguy
07-04-2010, 04:35 PM
GO PARAGUAY.

Tarlam!
07-06-2010, 05:23 AM
They are scary good, indeed, but if there's one team who can beats them, it's Spain. The spanjards will just keep the ball to themselves and let the Germans run. Unfortunately the Germans won't mind and will not stop running.

The team who scores first, will win it.

This isn't the same German team that lost to Spain in Vienna two years ago.

This is a bunch of young guns that were being highly criticised by "experts" in this country before the start of the tournament. The fact that Miro Klose and Lukas Podolski were even nominated despite atrocious form in the Bundisliga, while other extremely hot players e.g. Kevin Kuranyi were passed over was the stuff of many bar room brawls.

Then Michael Ballack (Team Captian) falling victim to a hideous foul in his final game for Chelsea and being kept out of the world cup (by Ghana's - who happened to be in the same group as Germany - Boateng).

This team was viewed very, very sceptically. They are a team without any super stars, but have enchanted the German public with their style of soccer. It has been declared revolutionary even evolutionary and is a complete and overwhelming surprise to any knowledgable soccer fan/ expert.

Germany did not expect this. Not one bit.

After watching Germany demoralize an English squad spicked with soccer gurus, I and many here, were pleasantly surprised and enthusiastic. After witnessing the precise dismantling of the tournament favourites Argentina, with their God-like coach, for whom the players would gladly sacrifice their left nut, I and many others are in sheer disbelief.

Germany has never seen soccer played like this before. Not from their national team. Nor, form any other team. Ever. I dare anyone to make a comparison of any of the previous great teams:
Brazil? No, the energy level wasn't there to compliment the fun factor.
Italy, France? Germany lacks the individual brilliance most Italian squads have traditionally been peppered with or the stauch back four France's '98 team.

This team plays with the cheek of Cameroon's 1990 squad, but has the disclipine in defense to go beyond a footnote in this World Cup.

Their's is the unique combination of youthful, fun-loving, staunchly self-confident, nothing-to-lose soccer. Obviously, they are far more skilled than any of the previous, discipline-dominated German squads. Today's German soccer is truth.

Of course they are beatable and Serbia demonstrated early in the tournament just how to do so. Spain will need to disrupt their passing game early. They will need to close down the flanks. They will need to occupy Schweinsteiger with two players and prohibit him finding his best friend, Podolski on the left.

But, by doing so, the will leave the right side open and that means interim captain Philp Lahm can go on an orgy attacking on the right. Spain will be helped immensely on that side with young Müller being suspended (2 yellow cards) and Germany will sorely miss his effervesencse.

On the other hand, Spain played miserable, boring, predictable, bland soccer against Paraguy and were lucky to win. They will need to hope the German team has gone meglomaniacal (like Argentina before their mighty fall) and they will need to bring their AAA+++ game as well.

If the Germans haven't let the Agentine drubbing (don't cry for me) go to their heads, Spain doesn't stand a chance. That's a huge if; remember, these are just a bunch of kids.

Freak Out
07-06-2010, 05:11 PM
What a crazy, crazy game today. The Orange are damn lucky to have made it out after having a two goal lead at the end. :shock:

red
07-06-2010, 07:23 PM
that first goal was just one of the most beautiful shots i've ever seen

tons of power and placed perfectly

i would love to cheer for the dutch but i'm just so turned off by all their flopping

Freak Out
07-06-2010, 07:39 PM
that first goal was just one of the most beautiful shots i've ever seen

tons of power and placed perfectly

i would love to cheer for the dutch but i'm just so turned off by all their flopping

Gotta love the lefties. :) The first goals from both teams were great shots.

Freak Out
07-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Something more to cheer for. :lol:

http://deadspin.com/5580523/uhhhgo-netherlands

red
07-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Something more to cheer for. :lol:

http://deadspin.com/5580523/uhhhgo-netherlands

where do you sign up?

retailguy
07-06-2010, 08:33 PM
GO NETHERLANDS....

red
07-06-2010, 10:43 PM
this pretty much sums up how i feel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M

Joemailman
07-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Spain is completely controlling things in the second half. It will be amazing if Germany somehow manages to win this. Still, it only takes one...

red
07-07-2010, 03:22 PM
wow, that was an all out defensive clamp down by spain

glad torres was benched, i watched quite a few liverpool games this year and the world cup games and i just don't see anything to that makes me think he's special in any way what-so-ever

Freak Out
07-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Germany missed Mueller today. :cry:

red
07-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Germany missed Mueller today. :cry:

for sure

another crappy call comes back to bite another team in the ass

Tarlam!
07-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Well, the Germans are extremely proud of their team, despite the loss earlier.

Sure, they missed Müller, but frankly, they shit their pants and didn't play with the same audacity they did against England and Argentina.

Good luck Spain.

Joemailman
07-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Any predictions for Sunday? I haven't seen The Netherlands play yet. Had to be impressed with the way Spain completely took away what Germany wanted to do today.

Gunakor
07-08-2010, 12:43 AM
The Dutch are better actors than the Spanish. Spain are the better side.

As has been this whole tournament, officiating will decide the winner.

Freak Out
07-08-2010, 01:26 PM
The Dutch are better actors than the Spanish. Spain are the better side.

As has been this whole tournament, officiating will decide the winner.

Anyone know the over/under on dives come Sunday?

Bretsky
07-08-2010, 07:57 PM
serious question; when is it over ?

retailguy
07-08-2010, 08:32 PM

2015?

red
07-08-2010, 09:51 PM

3rd place game is saturday

finals are sunday

Bretsky
07-08-2010, 09:56 PM

3rd place game is saturday

finals are sunday

Thx

gbgary
07-08-2010, 10:14 PM
i've loved every minute of it. i'm a huge fan of the beautiful game.