PDA

View Full Version : How would GB handle superstar discontent?

Smidgeon
06-11-2010, 01:49 PM
I was thinking about this yesterday when I heard Revis is demanding Asomugha money from the Jets. My question is, would a situation like that ever happen in GB that threatens to spiral out of control?

The last time there was a significant difference in financial opinion was Javon Walker. He held out for a little while, then showed up and tore an ACL. I'm willing to grant a mulligan on the way it was handled (i.e. not use it as a measuring rod) since Walker was a Sherman draft pick, that contract disagreement occurred in Thompson's first year of operation, and the Packer's financial purse was stretched at the time (Note: If any of those facts are wrong, correct me--I'm doing this on memory).

So with the team's salary under control, "Thompson guys" being drafted, and this no longer being his first rodeo, how would this be handled now. For example, what would happen if Matthews ascends rapidly and starts demanding Peppers-type money? How would the team handle that? Would it ever happen, or are have the Packers put themselves in a more favorable position towards players by rewarding their own (albeit often not for top dollar) and drafting/signing players who "love football" first?

Joemailman
06-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Thompson will not give in to ultimatums, as this would set a precedence he doesn't want to encourage. He has been very good about rewarding high achievers (Driver, Rodgers, Jennings, Collins, Harris, Pickett) with extensions to avoid problems down the road.

Tony Oday
06-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Trade them to the Jets?

gbgary
06-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Trade them to the Jets?

lol...i was going to say "they already have!"

Scott Campbell
06-11-2010, 09:04 PM
I think the key is getting to the players before things escalate out of control like they did with McKenzie and Walker. Ted's done pretty well since Javon.

Tony Oday
06-11-2010, 09:05 PM
I think the key is getting to the players before things escalate out of control like they did with McKenzie and Walker. Ted's done pretty well since Javon.

And reward them when they do well.

Fritz
06-12-2010, 08:02 AM
It's a good question. What will be interesting will be too to see how they handle legally troubled players...

Merlin
06-14-2010, 09:43 AM
As far back as I remember, the Packers don't give into demands and there is little tolerance for bad behavior off of the field. Ted has held that up for the most part.