PDA

View Full Version : Interesting decision for Ted tomorrow

Lurker64
06-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Currently the Green Bay Packers have 3 unsigned RFAs: Johnny Jolly, Atari Bigby, and Tramon Williams. They have until midnight tonight (June 14th) to sign their tenders. If they don't, the Packers have a 24 hour window in which they can elect to reduce those tenders to 110% of their 2009 salary, if they so choose.

The JSO Packer Blog provided us with this helpful chart:
http://media.jsonline.com/images/28007144_rfas.jpg

So Bigby doesn't stand to lose much, but Tramon and Jolly stand to lose quite a bit.

So if you were Ted, and if these guys continue to refuse to sign their tenders, what do you do? Probably don't want to piss off Tramon, so reducing his tender probably wouldn't be a good idea. But Jolly? Absolutely cut that man's tender. What on earth was he thinking not taking the guaranteed $2.5 million offered to him when he's facing serious drug charges and/or a suspension? Cut Jolly's tender and you guarantee that he can't go anywhere, and it's cheaper to keep him.

Joemailman
06-14-2010, 10:08 PM
I suspect TT will be looking to trade Jolly if he doesn't end up in jail, so cutting his tender would make sense. Makes it easier to trade him. I agree that they wont cut T-Will's, considering he may be the starting CB at the start of the season.

bobblehead
06-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Can they pick a number in between?? Could they cut Tramon to 2.5 Mill?

I agree though, I would cut Jolly's down, leave the other two and work on a long term deal with both....although Bigby would be tough if he thinks he is worth much more than the 1.7

packrulz
06-15-2010, 06:18 AM
I don't know, I think Jolly is a pretty good DE, I think he's worth the tender. I hope TT just leaves all offers on the table.

hoosier
06-15-2010, 07:41 AM
I suspect TT will be looking to trade Jolly if he doesn't end up in jail, so cutting his tender would make sense. Makes it easier to trade him. I agree that they wont cut T-Will's, considering he may be the starting CB at the start of the season.

Jolly's value on the market right now has to be pretty low. Why not keep him around for another year, let Neal develop and hope that Jolly plays well in his contract year? At the very least the Packers can then get a #3 or #4 compensatory pick for him, which is probably more than TT could get for him now through trade.

Scott Campbell
06-15-2010, 08:05 AM
I thought there would be news on this by now.

Joemailman
06-15-2010, 08:12 AM
There was talk last spring already that Jolly was on thin ice with the Packers. I just have a feeling that Jolly's stupid behavior this offseason may have convinced the Packers that it's time to cut ties. It's also possible that Jolly hasn't signed his tender because he wants out of Green Bay.

At any rate, Jolly's trial starts at the start of training camp. It will be interesting to see if anyone really steps up in Jolly's absence. It should also be noted that with Jolly set to miss the start of training camp, he may not be physically ready to play when the season starts. With him not being involved in any offseason activities, I have a hunch physical conditioning may be an issue.

get louder at lambeau
06-15-2010, 10:19 AM
There was talk last spring already that Jolly was on thin ice with the Packers. I just have a feeling that Jolly's stupid behavior this offseason may have convinced the Packers that it's time to cut ties. It's also possible that Jolly hasn't signed his tender because he wants out of Green Bay.

If they wanted to cut ties they wouldn't have had a $2.5 million offer on the table for him to sign just yesterday.

Joemailman
06-15-2010, 10:58 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/96385519.html

Jolly signed his tender before the deadline. That makes sense. Bigby apparently had no intention to. He doesn't lose much if the Packers cut his tender to 110%. T-Will is probably in the best bargaining position of the 3.

RashanGary
06-15-2010, 11:14 AM
I would guess Williams signed. They can continue to work on a deal with the 3.1M contract signed.

RashanGary
06-15-2010, 11:24 AM
The Bigby situation has potential to get ugly. Unlike Collins, I don't think there is a lot of reason to think the Packers are anxious to extend Bigby to a long term deal.

Bigby, as much as he's hated here, gets quite a bit of respect from scouts and front office execs around the league (see McGinn's article on the NFCN from last year). He's at a development stage where it makes sense to push for a deal, but with Burnett signed, it makes more sense for the Packers to wait.

Bigby, IMO, has more value to the Packers this year than Darryn Colledge does. Rookies can be counted on to screw up and our defense is trying to take that next step toward consistency.

However, there is almost no reason for Bigby to sign that contract. There is a chance (although I think it's very, very slight) that the Packers would extend him now. Bigby and his agent have to push for that, just because common sense says so.

The Packers probably do not want to start a rookie at SS, but if Bigby pushes this too far, that's exactly what they'll have to do.

My guess is that about 2 weeks into TC is the real pressure point for Bigby to come in and get acclimated to the defensive changes. By then, it will be just ugly enough that MM is getting pissed and Bigby is frustrated.

I imagine this thing will end up falling into place though. There isn't a lot of reason to think this should get extremely ugly, although a little ugly seems like a safe bet.

get louder at lambeau
06-15-2010, 11:24 AM
I would guess Williams signed. They can continue to work on a deal with the 3.1M contract signed.

They can, but he loses some leverage. He could choose to play hardball and force a multi-year contract with a holdout if he wants.

RashanGary
06-15-2010, 11:28 AM
I think the Packers think enough of Williams that they'll be working together with him to iron something out.

I'm guessing 5 years, 24 million or so with 6 mil up front is about how the Packers value Williams and I'm guessing that's enough for him to be willing to sign. I have a feeling this thing will work out with him. I think it just makes sense for everyone to work together here.

Tarlam!
06-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Question: The team holds exclusive rights whether they sign or not and given that the players only need the last 6 games to have the season count towards UFA, meaning they can sign after game 10 has been played, does the team retain rights if they start the season with 53 players or must they leave two spots open?

Fritz
06-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Okay, Lurk, this line just made me flinch and instinctively grab for my parts: "Absolutely cut that man's tender."

Owww.

get louder at lambeau
06-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Question: The team holds exclusive rights whether they sign or not and given that the players only need the last 6 games to have the season count towards UFA, meaning they can sign after game 10 has been played, does the team retain rights if they start the season with 53 players or must they leave two spots open?

The players wouldn't count against the 53 unless and until they are signed, as I understand it. Also, the players in question might not need any more years accrued, since they would be UFAs already if not for the uncapped year. Something will need to be negotiated by next year, or there will likely be no football.

Lurker64
06-15-2010, 12:34 PM

Players who have not yet signed their tender are not under contract, and so don't count against any roster limits. Currently the roster limit is 80, and the Packers were at 77 yesterday (they're at 78 now since Jolly signed his tender before the deadline). If they were at 80 yesterday when Jolly signed, they would have to cut someone.

SkinBasket
06-15-2010, 05:01 PM
I hope they extend Bigby an armadillo tail to shove up his ass so he can die a slow and painful death Kanaima style.

swede
06-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Dear Mr. Bigby,

In lieu of a contract the Green bay Packers have decided to extend to you the armadillo tail that you will please find enclosed in the accompanying package. Carefully follow the instructions you will find packaged therein with the armadillo tail and thank you for your years of service to our team and community...

Joemailman
06-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Skin doesn't seem as negative towards Bigby as he used to be.

Joemailman
06-15-2010, 06:59 PM

Packers reported to the league that only Jolly signed his tender. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/96428549.html

The Packers informed Williams, along with Atari Bigby and Jolly, in letters that they would be given the lower tender if they did not sign by 11 p.m. on Monday.

RashanGary
06-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Hmm. . . This makes me think they are working on a deal with Williams. For Williams to give up about 2.5 million dollars, he's got to feel pretty confident that he's going to get a deal.

Guiness
06-15-2010, 08:00 PM
I wonder how much of this there is going on around the league? I'm sure there's a mess of guys who expected to be UFA's, and find themselves RFA's, and aren't pleased.

Be interesting to see a list of guys who haven't signed their tender as of midnight last night, and what's happening with them.

edit: found at least one other player - the Pat's Pro Bowl guard Mankins

The Patriots made a $3.268 million, one-year tender offer to Mankins, the 23rd overall draft pick in 2005. When he didn't sign it by the deadline of 11:59 p.m. Monday, the team exercised its right to lower it to $1.54 million, according to the Boston Globe.

He was apparently also offered a 5yr deal averaging $7mil/year.

Joemailman
06-15-2010, 08:29 PM
As of yesterday afternoon, there were 15 players who had not signed their tender.
http://nfllabor.com/?campaign=Google_CBA_Topics_LaborNegotiation&002=2310022&004=1663354494&005=16870726404&006=4325072004&007=search&008=

Club Name Player Name Pos
Green Bay Packers Bigby, Atari SS
Green Bay Packers Jolly, Johnny DE
Green Bay Packers Williams, Tramon CB
Kansas City Chiefs Page, Jarrad FS
Miami Dolphins Brown, Ronnie RB
New England Patriots Mankins, Logan G
New Orleans Saints Brown, Jammal T
New Orleans Saints Harper, Roman SS
New Orleans Saints Moore, Lance WR
New Orleans Saints Thomas, Pierre RB
San Diego Chargers Jackson, Vincent WR
San Diego Chargers McNeill, Marcus T
San Diego Chargers Merriman, Shawne OLB
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Penn, Donald T
Washington Redskins Rogers, Carlos CB

Packers4Ever
06-15-2010, 10:23 PM
I thought there would be news on this by now.

I get this funny feeling in my stomach that if we cut Jolly
or lose him by some other means, we could be sorry for it come Oct. or Nov. or whenever. With our record I don't think it pays to gamble if it means we could be short somewhere. :roll:
What do you think ?

Joemailman
06-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Injuries and lack of depth on the DL certainly hurt in 2008. It will be interesting to see if any of the young guys (Neal, Wynn, Wilson, Harrell) really step up in Jolly's absence at the start of training camp. Packers do seem to have pretty good depth for a 3-4 team.

wootah
06-16-2010, 04:18 AM
The Bigby situation has potential to get ugly.

Above that, Drew Rosenhaus is his agent.

packers11
06-16-2010, 10:35 AM
www.rotoworld.com

Restricted free agent CB Tramon Williams apparently intended to sign his tender before Tuesday's 11 p.m. deadline after all, according to beat writer Greg Bedard.

A source tells Bedard that Williams' agent informed the NFLPA that he signed the original tender on Monday evening and it was sent to the Packers. But for some unknown reason, the Packers didn't file the paperwork with the league. The important thing here is that Williams had the intent to sign. This should all get cleared up shortly.

Fritz
06-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Tender is the night.

packers11
06-16-2010, 11:26 AM
www.rotoworld.com

Packers re-signed restricted free agent CB Tramon Williams to a one-year, $3.168 contract.

In the end, a miscommunication between Williams' agent, the Packers and the league led to an unnecessary mess. Williams will be a crucial part of the Packers' secondary this season with Al Harris (knee surgery) a long shot for Week 1.

packers11
06-16-2010, 11:28 AM
looks like Bigby is the only one not signing...

with one good year (back in 2007) and hasn't played a full season since then - I can't believe he thinks he is worth more... Also with the rookie looking good in mini camp Bigby should sign the damn thing and start working his ass off...

CaptainKickass
06-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Packers re-signed restricted free agent CB Tramon Williams to a one-year, $3.168 contract

Wow dude really took a huge pay cut. 3200 dollars is cheap! Reminds me of the old $375.00 Lambeau Field renovation.

:lol:

sharpe1027
06-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Packers re-signed restricted free agent CB Tramon Williams to a one-year, $3.168 contract

Wow dude really took a huge pay cut. 3200 dollars is cheap! Reminds me of the old $375.00 Lambeau Field renovation.

I sense a contract dispute about whether he get's paid $3.16 or $3.17, since you can't pay in less than $.01 increments.

retailguy
06-16-2010, 12:05 PM

I sense a contract dispute about whether he get's paid $3.16 or $3.17, since you can't pay in less than $.01 increments.

Isn't $3.16 Bigby's contract? I think he signed the wrong one. :twisted:

get louder at lambeau
06-16-2010, 12:23 PM

with one good year (back in 2007) and hasn't played a full season since then - I can't believe he thinks he is worth more... Also with the rookie looking good in mini camp Bigby should sign the damn thing and start working his ass off...

You can't believe he thinks he's worth more than $1.5 mil? A three year starter who tied for 7th in the NFL among safeties in INTs last year and has won a Defensive Player of the Month Award while playing for the league minimum a couple years ago?

Joemailman
06-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Bigby is probably figuring the Packers have drafted his replacement, and just want to get one more year out of him before letting him go after 2010. He probably wants an extension from the Packers, or wants to be traded to a team that will give him one.

Tarlam!
06-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Bigby is probably figuring the Packers have drafted his replacement, and just want to get one more year out of him before letting him go after 2010.

And he'd be right if he didn't outperform the rookie, at least in camp, one would think. But he can't outperform if he's not there.

But dang, seeing how Skin is warming up towards Bigby, maybe TT will, too. Who'da thought??

PS: That remark of yours had me on the floor, Joe!

Bretsky
06-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Show your worth another year and TT will take care of you Tramom; treat the Packers well and they will treat you well.

Burnett........show you value and Atari Bibgy will be World Cup Soccer to me

gbgary
06-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Tender is the night.

ahhh...the great jackson browne.

SkinBasket
06-17-2010, 07:56 AM

You can't believe he thinks he's worth more than $1.5 mil? A three year starter who tied for 7th in the NFL among safeties in INTs last year and has won a Defensive Player of the Month Award while playing for the league minimum a couple years ago?

I could anally fist a dead dog and come up with something with more potential, and possibly more talent, than Atari Bigby.

sharpe1027
06-17-2010, 09:54 AM
I could anally fist a dead dog and come up with something with more potential, and possibly more talent, than Atari Bigby.

How do you know this?

SkinBasket
06-17-2010, 10:51 AM

How do you know this?

How do you not know this?

get louder at lambeau
06-17-2010, 11:20 AM

Five bucks says that you can't.

Freak Out
06-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Skin fisted my dog and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt.

http://tcritic.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/born-to-fist2.jpg

sharpe1027
06-17-2010, 11:32 AM
How do you not know this?

Touche

Fritz
06-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Skin fisted my dog and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt.

http://tcritic.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/born-to-fist2.jpg

This means a lousy t-shirt is better than Atari Bigby.

Joemailman
06-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Packers release 4 players: cornerback Trevor Ford, safety Khalil Jones, linebacker Tim Knicky and quarterback Noah Shepard.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/96688409.html

Iron Mike
06-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Packers release linebacker Tim Knicky

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2696/30991211679759653283291.jpg