PDA

View Full Version : Mini camp updates

packrulz
06-22-2010, 05:46 AM
Jun 21 3:46 ET
Packers FB Quinn Johnson needs to improve in his second season, coach Mike McCarthy said: "I think it's very important for Quinn to make a big jump this year. He needs to progress in some of the other areas, particularly on special teams."
Jun 21 3:41 ET
Packers coach Mike McCarthy said the only player that likely won't be ready for training camp July 31 is CB Al Harris, who is coming back from ACL surgery.Harris suffered tears to five components in his knee - anterior cruciate ligament, lateral collateral ligament, iliotibial band, fibular collateral ligament and lateral hamstring.
Jun 21 3:38 ET
Packers CB Tramon Williams doesn't think he's far behind players who have been with the team in the offseason: "Obviously, I would have liked to have been here. It didn't happen that way, but I have been doing a good job training in Houston. That's all we've been doing is training."
Jun 21 3:36 ET
Packers CB Tramon Williams on being back with the team: "I felt great. Felt better than I thought I was going to feel. That was a good thing."
Jun 21 3:27 ET
Packers CB Tramon Williams returned to the team and took his starting position opposite Charles Woodson. Williams didn't sign his restricted tender until last Monday's deadline.
Bulaga Wants To Report On Time, But…
Posted by Mike Vandermause June 21st, 2010, 6:56 pm
At the conclusion of the Packers’ June minicamp a year ago, first-round draft choice B.J. Raji told reporters, “There will be no holdout.”
A little more than a month later, there was a holdout. Raji didn’t sign a contract until two weeks into training camp.
The Packers’ first-round draft choice this year, offensive tackle Bryan Bulaga, is making no such proclamations about showing up to training camp on time. It’s obvious Bulaga wants to be there. But he’s not making any guarantees.
“Would I love to be in on time? Yeah,” said Bulaga following today’s Packers minicamp practice. “But there’s a business part to it.”
Bulaga is content to let his agent, Tom Condon, and Packers negotiator Russ Ball handle the contract details.
“That’s their job to do that,” said Bulaga. “My job is to come out and play football. So would I like to be on time? Absolutely. I would love to be out working but there’s a business side to it. I have to let my agent do his job and Mr. Ball has to do his job, and that’s just how it is.”

Packers Try Jenkins At OLB
Posted by Rob Demovsky June 21st, 2010, 3:29 pm
Last season, Green Bay Packers defensive end Cullen Jenkins was one of a couple of players who complained that coordinator Dom Capers wasn’t using the team’s playmakers enough.
Today, during the first day of the Packers’ mandatory minicamp, Jenkins was in a significant playmaking position. Jenkins took several snaps at left outside linebacker, a big change for a player who played his entire NFL career with his hand on the ground as defensive lineman.
“I always feel like I can pass rush; it’s just a matter of what they ask me to do on particular plays,” Jenkins said. “I’ve been working on my pass rush to improve it. Me and Trgo (defensive line coach Mike Trgovac) have been talking about positives and negatives from last year.”
Jenkins still played his share of snaps as a defensive end in the base 3-4 defense, but in several drills today in which Capers employed his nickel package, Jenkins was at LOLB. And it wasn’t exclusively rushing the quarterback. He dropped into coverage on several plays, and the 6-foot-2, 305-pounder said he felt comfortable doing so.
He said he hopes to shed a few more pounds and play this season at between 295 and 300 pounds. Other than a handful of snaps standing up last season, he hasn’t played off the line of scrimmage since his freshman year at Central Michigan.
“They’ve been moving me around a lot and having me try different things just in case,” said Jenkins, who was second on the team with 4.5 sacks last season. “You never know what you’re actually going to carry into the season, but we’re experimenting with different things. I feel pretty fast this year, and it’s pretty cool to be (playing standing) up, actually.”
– Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

Andrews says Favre should be good to go
Posted on: June 16, 2010 3:59 pm
We might be getting closer to figuring out if QB Brett Favre will return for his 20th season. Famed surgeon Dr. James Andrews told the Associated Press on Wednesday that Favre’s ankle surgery went well, and after a few weeks of rehabilitation, he should be ready to decide if he’ll make his retirement permanent.

Even at the age of 40, Favre had one of the best seasons of his career last year. Despite the last-minute interception that doomed the Vikings in the playoffs – a less-than-uplifting end to his career if he, in fact, chooses that option – the 11-time Pro Bowler recorded a career-high 68.4 completion percentage for 4,202 yards, 33 touchdowns and seven INTs.

At this point, the smart money says Favre, with a healed ankle, will return once again.

--Josh Katzowitz

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl .

mission
06-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Way to sneak the Favre stuff in there... was especially interested in his ankle.

pbmax
06-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Loved the thread anyway. Actual football.

Its a little surprising to see Jenkins with 4.5 sacks. He flashes enough to make you think he will be more productive, but every year something seems to hold him back. Last year it might have been scheme.

I have a hard time envisioning him at OLB regularly in coverage. Even if he gets to 295 lbs.

packers11
06-22-2010, 10:41 AM
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel confirms that "the odds are stacked against" CB Al Harris (knee surgery) playing football again.

This is more reason to believe that Harris won't be ready for Week 1, as we've suspected. While the 35-year-old has a great work ethic history, the knee injury Harris suffered late last season was as severe as it was rare. The Packers were lucky that Tramon Williams didn't hold out for more money.
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

packers11
06-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Packers ILB Desmond Bishop is once again campaigning for more playing time.

Bishop always kills in preseason, so we'd like to see more of him in real games too. Unfortunately, the Packers are paying AJ Hawk and Nick Barnett way more money. "It's a real sticky situation," Bishop said. "I want to be out there badly. At the same time, some people out there don't even have jobs."

Packers coach Mike McCarthy described backup receivers James Jones and Jordy Nelson's offseasons as "outstanding."

"Jones may be most productive on the team," McCarthy added. Jones is the likely successor to 35-year-old Donald Driver, who is coming off dual knee surgeries. Nelson would then slot in as Green Bay's third receiver.

Source: Greg Bedard on Twitter

packers11
06-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Its a little surprising to see Jenkins with 4.5 sacks. He flashes enough to make you think he will be more productive, but every year something seems to hold him back. Last year it might have been scheme.

As a 3-4 DE you don't see many sacks... According to profootball focus Jenkins was actually productive as a 3-4 DE ranking in the top 10... Jenkins also ranked top 5 in QB hits and was 3rd in QB pressures (27).... Hes very underrated by packer fans IMO...

get louder at lambeau
06-22-2010, 11:05 AM
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel confirms that "the odds are stacked against" CB Al Harris (knee surgery) playing football again.

This is more reason to believe that Harris won't be ready for Week 1, as we've suspected. While the 35-year-old has a great work ethic history, the knee injury Harris suffered late last season was as severe as it was rare. The Packers were lucky that Tramon Williams didn't hold out for more money.

Not sure what that means. They "confirmed" it how? By asking a doctor if the injury was severe? Currently it sounds/looks like Harris is way, way ahead of schedule to me. Posted June 8th-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFU07INs6yI

packers11
06-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Not sure what that means. They "confirmed" it how?

I was thinking the same thing how the hell have they confirmed it... I think they are just speculating...

BUTTTTTTT I just checked out the video - I haven't watched since like video 5 and holy shit does he look good... Its only June and his movement is extremely good... He should be ready be week 1 just by looking @ that video...

rbaloha1
06-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Wow with Al Harris. Certainly looks good during the drills. Wonder when AH will be at game speed.

bobblehead
06-22-2010, 12:13 PM

I was thinking the same thing how the hell have they confirmed it... I think they are just speculating...

BUTTTTTTT I just checked out the video - I haven't watched since like video 5 and holy shit does he look good... Its only June and his movement is extremely good... He should be ready be week 1 just by looking @ that video...

the problem with joint injuries like that is that the last step back is harder than all the rest combined. Not betting against him, just saying its not a forgone conclusion that he will be back.

ThunderDan
06-22-2010, 01:41 PM

Bishop always kills in preseason, so we'd like to see more of him in real games too. Unfortunately, the Packers are paying AJ Hawk and Nick Barnett way more money. "It's a real sticky situation," Bishop said. "I want to be out there badly. At the same time, some people out there don't even have jobs."

It couldn't be that Bishop plays like shit during regular games, its just that Barnett and Hawk get paid more. :oops:

Tony Oday
06-22-2010, 01:47 PM

It couldn't be that Bishop plays like shit during regular games, its just that Barnett and Hawk get paid more. :oops:

+1

packrulz
06-22-2010, 02:22 PM

the problem with joint injuries like that is that the last step back is harder than all the rest combined. Not betting against him, just saying its not a forgone conclusion that he will be back.
Al really trashed his knee, if he looks good it means nothing. Can he plant and cut? Backpedal? Tackle? I don't know if his knee will ever be stable enough to be a starter again. If he's back by mid-season I'll be amazed.

get louder at lambeau
06-22-2010, 02:33 PM

Al really trashed his knee, if he looks good it means nothing. Can he plant and cut? Backpedal? Tackle? I don't know if his knee will ever be stable enough to be a starter again. If he's back by mid-season I'll be amazed.

Did you watch that video? He's been backpeddling for a while now, and I think he's been doing some cutting on some of the videos in the series too.

packrulz
06-22-2010, 02:58 PM

Did you watch that video? He's been backpeddling for a while now, and I think he's been doing some cutting on some of the videos in the series too.
I just did and wow, that is amazing! I hope he continues his recovery, he's really working hard at it.

Joemailman
06-22-2010, 04:15 PM
My guess is that Al opens the season as the nickel back. That will reduce his snaps, and also reduce the times that he has to make tackles in run support.

Tony Oday
06-22-2010, 04:39 PM
I would guess Al starts at Nickle the 7th game. He has PUP written all over him.

I LOVE Jenkins at OLB...if he can cover he will be a freaking MONSTER at OLB.

RashanGary
06-22-2010, 06:40 PM
I like that they're testing guys skills out at multiple spots. Our 7th round draft pick has some pretty special tape in college with him rushing the edge. He's big like a 3-4 DE, but the way he plays, his game is taylor made to rush the edge.

I don't want to see Wilson play OLB, but the fact that Capers tries players out at so many spots gives me hope that they'll eventually line Wilson out a little wider than the the 5-technique at some point. I don't expect much from rookies, but next year, I think Wilson has talent to be a really dangerous pass rusher but only if he's allowed to use his unusual speed for a guy his size on the outside.

And I know Wilson only runs a 4.8 or whatever it was, but whatever it is that he does, he gets up field faster than guys his size. It stood out to me as impressive, just how well he pressed the edge for a 290 pounder.

packrulz
06-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Jun 22 5:12 ET
Packers coach Mike McCarthy said the training camp scripts have been set. The offensive line rotations, including Bryan Bulaga at LT, will remain the same. When T.J. Lang (wrist) returns, he'll work in at RT and RG.
Jun 22 5:10 ET
Packers WRs Jordy Nelson and James Jones have flourished while Donald Driver (knee surgery) has been out. "I think James Jones and Jordy Nelson have had outstanding offseasons," coach Mike McCarthy said. "If you go through the OTA films, Jones probably stands out as one of the top performers through the OTAs."
Jun 22 5:08 ET
Packers coach Mike McCarthy on the possibility of adding a veteran OLB at some point. "We'll look at some individuals over the summer. We'll continue to evaluate that and watch what goes on around the league."
Jun 22 5:06 ET
Packers LB Nick Barnett said he didn't have to have his knee scoped: "I wanted to clean it up a little bit. Had some scar tissue from the ACL in there that was hindering the extension of my knee. I could have really not done it. But I feel like I get more performance."
Jun 22 5:05 ET
Packers CB Charles Woodson said he's already at his 200-pound playing weight thanks to the boxing workouts he started doing. Woodson normally is about 12 pounds heavier at this time of year. Boxing also helped strengthen his troublesome right shoulder.

Guiness
06-22-2010, 11:28 PM
That tape of Al is something else. Unbelievable that he's doing those things so soon after the injury.

Man's a true pro.

packerbacker1234
06-23-2010, 12:14 AM
I would not bet against Al harris starting week 1. I know the "odds are against him" - but look at that progress. He is cutting and changing direction multiple times, he's been backpeddling at close to full speed for awhile, exploding in sprints, and previous videos really showed how he almost has the full range of motion of back.

If you watch the last few episodes of his come back, he's already back to working out with his own personal trainer who has helped him prepare for the last 11 seasons, doing the same sort of drills he does every year in preparation.

As always doctors are just being careful to not give him the the okay for full contact padded practices too early, but he is already able to almost do his entire pre-season workout. That speaks volumes.

Honestly, Give it till the end of august and I can easily see him given the okay for full practices, given current progress and how it is all focused right now and getting him back into football shape.

Fritz
06-23-2010, 10:46 AM
I'd feel better about the team easing him back in. I don't want him to come back too soon and reinjure himself.

KYPack
06-23-2010, 10:51 AM
I would guess Al starts at Nickle the 7th game. He has PUP written all over him.

Easy, Tony.

They are giving him coverage reps, so he can be used effectively in that 'Pyscho' package. It would be psycho to play Cullen in a regular OLB spot.

Tony Oday
06-23-2010, 11:02 AM

Easy, Tony.

They are giving him coverage reps, so he can be used effectively in that 'Pyscho' package. It would be psycho to play Cullen in a regular OLB spot.

lol oh I know I dont want him an Every Down guy there but I would like to see Jenkins and Mathews blitzing on the outside and Raji collapsing the pocket.

MJZiggy
06-23-2010, 07:00 PM

We didn't know this in February? Everybody knew it was severe. Everybody knew it was rare. Yeah, the odds are "stacked against him" but that doesn't mean it ain't gonna happen.

We also all know that these folks like to post "crap we all already knew" and "speculative BS."

RashanGary
06-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Aaron Kampan blew out his ACL in the same game or close to if I recall correctly. Kampman got a really big contract in the offseason with guaranteed money.

Harris blew out more than just his ACL. He's older than Kampman. He's also lighter than Kampman. He's in fantastic shape, He's an extremely hard worker.

Seeing the contract Kampman got tells me what they think of his chances of coming back. I know Harris is fighting a tougher battle and there was a time when I questioned if he'd make it back, but I'm starting to think Harris will probably play again. Maybe he won't be close to 100% until the middle or end of the season, but I think we'll be getting good play out of him by the playoffs. Hopefully we make it that far.

Joemailman
06-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Packers could probably do without Harris early, assuming their other CB's are healthy. Vikings on October 24 are really the first outstanding passing offense the face:

Sunday, September 12 at Philadelphia Eagles 3:15 p.m. _____
Sunday, September 19 BUFFALO BILLS 12:00 p.m. _____
Monday, September 27 at Chicago Bears 7:30 p.m. _____
Sunday, October 3 DETROIT LIONS 12:00 p.m. _____
Sunday, October 10 at Washington Redskins 12:00 p.m. _____
Sunday, October 17 MIAMI DOLPHINS 12:00 p.m. _____
Sunday, October 24 MINNESOTA VIKINGS 7:20 p.m. CBS _____
Sunday, October 31 at New York Jets 12:00 p.m. _____
Sunday, November 7 DALLAS COWBOYS 7:20 p.m. _____
Sunday, November 14 Open Date _____
Sunday, November 21 at Minnesota Vikings 12:00 p.m. _____
Sunday, November 28 at Atlanta Falcons 12:00 p.m. _____
Sunday, December 5 SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS 12:00 p.m. _____
Sunday, December 12 at Detroit Lions 12:00 p.m. _____
Sunday, December 19 at New England Patriots 7:20 p.m. _____
Sunday, December 26 NEW YORK GIANTS 3:15 p.m. _____
Sunday, January 2 CHICAGO BEARS 12:00 p.m. _____

packrulz
06-24-2010, 05:25 AM
Jun 23 7:25 ET
Special; teams coordinator Shawn Slocum is concerned about the catching struggles of his punt returners with Will Blackmon (ACL) out, especially undrafted free agent Sam Shields. "It makes me nervous as hell when guys are dropping the ball," Slocum said. "Sam needs to be consistent catching the ball before we can put him out there and have our whole organization rely on him to catch a punt."
Jun 23 7:20 ET
Special eams coordinator Shawn Slocum said the punting competition between Tim Masthay and Chris Bryan likely won't be decided until the exhibition games. Neither has punted in an NFL game. "The game is the environment that we have to ultimately critique the players and I think that's going to be where we see the one guy that will rise to the top," Slocum said.
Jun 23 6:52 ET
First-round pick Bryan Bulaga hopes he'll be in training camp on time, but he admits that's not certain. "There's a business part of it," he said. "(Packers VP Russ) Ball and my agent, Tom Condon, their job is to do that. Would I like to be on time? Absolutely I 'd like to be out working. But there's a business side to it."
Jun 23 3:46 ET
The Packers have signed OG Marshall Newhouse, RB James Starks and DE C.J. Wilson. They are the first of the Packers' seven draft picks to sign. They were taken in the fifth, sixth and seventh rounds, respectively.

Fritz
06-24-2010, 07:30 AM
Sam Shields sounds like Cory Rogers without the gun.

Pugger
06-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Would Shields be a good candidate for PS? :?:

get louder at lambeau
06-24-2010, 09:48 AM

You better hope he doesn't have a gun. Them's fightin' words.

Lurker64
06-24-2010, 11:21 AM

Well, it's a little bit different. Shields came in without much (any?) punt return experience in college, he was primarily a gunner and we could probably use him for that too. Rogers on the other hand was lauded as a natural punt returner when we drafted him, and then he couldn't catch the damn ball.

I could see Shields making this team purely on the basis of his ability as a special teams gunner and his long term potential as a punt returner. Rogers had no shot to make the team if he couldn't catch the damn punt.

Fritz
06-24-2010, 11:34 AM
You're right about the differences but I don't think Shields will make this team unless he can field punts cleanly.

MJZiggy
06-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Well SOMEbody better be able to field them cleanly or we have a problem on our hands (so to speak)

Joemailman
06-24-2010, 06:55 PM
They'll have someone who can catch a punt. If Blackmon gets hurt, they may not return it very far. But they'll catch it.

retailguy
06-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Well SOMEbody better be able to field them cleanly or we have a problem on our hands (so to speak)

we're just fine there.

packrulz
06-27-2010, 06:35 AM
How Green Bay Packers roster looks going into training camp
BY PETE DOUGHERTY • PDOUGHER@GREENBAYPRESSGAZETTE.COM • JUNE 26, 2010
Training camp will be the proving ground for whether Green Bay Packers safety Atari Bigby erred by refusing to sign his restricted free agent tender and skipping all of the team's offseason work.

Early signs suggest he did. His absence gave third-round draft pick Morgan Burnett extensive work as a starting safety in the Packers’ organized team activities and minicamp, and Burnett has been perhaps the team’s most impressive rookie in offseason practices.

Jobs aren’t won in May and June, but Burnett is as well prepared as he could have hoped to be to take the starting job from Bigby in training camp.

“Very studious,” safeties coach Darren Perry said of Burnett last week. “You can tell it’s important to him, he’s putting in the time and really wanting to learn the defense as best he can. He’s trying to be a leader. Him and Nick (Collins) have done a good job working together. Still a lot to learn at that position, but he’s taken a lot. Very few mental mistakes.”

Elsewhere in the secondary, even though Al Harris is a compulsive worker, there’s almost no chance the starting cornerback will be practicing at the start of training camp only eight months after surgery on his left knee. Some aspects of recovering from knee-reconstruction surgery take at least nine to 10 months no matter how hard a player rehabilitates.

There’s a possibility the 35-year old Harris won’t take part in camp and will open the season on the physically-unable-to-perform list, which would force him to miss the first six games. The Packers’ medical staff and coach Mike McCarthy will make that decision in August.

Either way, chances are Tramon Williams will start at cornerback opposite Charles Woodson early in the season. If Harris is unavailable, either Brandon Underwood or Pat Lee will play 50 to 60 percent of the defensive snaps as the No. 3 cornerback.

Underwood, a seventh-round draft pick last year, worked ahead of Lee in last week’s minicamp and is ahead heading into training camp. Underwood has the natural feet and hips in coverage of a much higher draft pick but lasted until the seventh round last year because of major concerns about his maturity. Those concerns were borne out to a degree last season with tardiness and again this offseason in a much-publicized incident involving two alleged prostitutes in Lake Delton.

Lee, a second-round pick in 2008, is a little more physical than Underwood, and has a realistic shot at the job after missing most of his first two seasons because of knee injuries.

Jarrett Bush, a swing safety and cornerback as well as a core player on special teams, faces an uphill battle to make the roster for a fourth season.

Derrick Martin, a trade acquisition last year, is the better safety and has comparable special-teams coverage abilities.

Will Blackmon, who is moving from cornerback to safety, is a near lock to make the roster because he’s by far the best return man on the team. Blackmon didn’t practice in the offseason but appears to have made an excellent recovery from knee-reconstruction surgery performed Oct. 29.

Sam Shields, an undrafted rookie of note, looks raw as a cornerback and catching punts.

How other positions look as the Packers end their offseason program and look forward to training camp, which opens July 31.

Defensive line

This could be a position of depth, depending on several factors, most notably whether Johnny Jolly is convicted of felony possession of codeine in his upcoming trial in Houston. Jolly is a good player but a wild card off the field.

Also at defensive end, the Packers used a second-round draft pick on Mike Neal and are looking for him to enhance their inside pass rush. They also found an interesting prospect in the seventh round in C.J. Wilson, who appears to have some pass rush talent.

Jarius Wynn showed more strength as a rookie last year than his 6-foot-3, 285-pound frame might suggest and is another rotational player who will be tough to knock off the roster.

On the other hand, though Justin Harrell has made it through the offseason just fine, logic says the former first-round draft pick faces difficult odds to make the team in his fourth season. Recurring disk problems in his lower back have sidelined him for 26 of 32 games over the last two years.

The Packers have to be deeply concerned that even if Harrell makes it through training camp healthy, he could aggravate his back early in the season and end up on injured reserve. That would leave them empty-handed because the player they cut to keep Harrell probably will have been picked up by another team.

One of defensive line coach Mike Trgovac’s charges in camp is finding an effective inside rusher to team with Cullen Jenkins on passing downs, most likely from the group of nose tackle B.J. Raji, Neal and Wilson.

Linebackers

Brad Jones will be the starting left outside linebacker, where he replaced Aaron Kampman last season after the latter blew out his knee. Jones is not the pass rusher the departed Kampman is, but he’s a better all-around player for the job because of his coverage skills. Jones offers a little more flexibility in defensive coordinator Dom Capers’ play calling.

The Packers potentially have left themselves painfully thin behind starters Jones and Clay Matthews. Brady Poppinga plays the run well as the No. 3 outside linebacker, but in five seasons he hasn’t shown the pass-rush skills that got him 20 sacks in his college career.

General Manager Ted Thompson surely will look hard for another backup once teams start cutting players in August, and it’s a good bet a couple of new players will roll through camp. If no one holds up, the fourth outside linebacker will come from a group of players who entered the league undrafted: Robert Francois and Cyril Obiozor, who were rookie free agents last year, and Frank Zombo and John Russell, who went undrafted this year.

Francois, who spent the final four weeks on the Packers’ practice squad last year, was working high in the rotation after dropping weight from the 260-pound range in 2009 to about 250 pounds this year. Zombo is more athletic than Russell, who is making a challenging transition from college defensive tackle to 3-4 outside linebacker.

The Packers dabbled in minicamp with defensive end Jenkins playing some outside linebacker, and also had Brandon Chillar take a few snaps there as well, but those probably are change-of-pace options at best.

Desmond Bishop, a perennial preseason game standout, faces a tough time getting on the field at inside linebacker, though he could make a run at A.J. Hawk if he becomes consistently assignment-sound.

Quarterbacks

Backup Matt Flynn has some limitations in arm talent but is mobile and keeps improving at running the offense. He looks like a viable option at least to finish a game.

Graham Harrell, recently signed this offseason, has a decent shot to stick as the practice-squad quarterback. He didn’t go to an NFL training camp and ended up as a deep backup in the Canadian Football League as a rookie last year after Cleveland cut him after a post-draft minicamp tryout. He has average arm strength at best but also looks polished, poised and smart.

Offensive line

It looks like Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher will be starting at left and right tackle, respectively, perhaps for the last time. Each has an heir apparent behind him — first-round pick Bryan Bulaga on the left side and T.J. Lang on the right — but both veterans looked healthy and sound in offseason practices.

Bulaga appears as technically proficient as his Iowa pedigree suggests, but he’ll do well to forge as good a career as Clifton has, at least as a pass blocker. Lang, a second-year pro, missed offseason practices because of wrist surgery and will have to come back at an unexpectedly high level to unseat Tauscher in camp.

At the end of minicamp, coach Mike McCarthy said Lang will play right tackle and guard when camp opens, which means he won’t be in the running for the starting job at left guard, at least at the beginning. Daryn Colledge is the front-runner there, considering Jason Spitz didn’t practice all offseason and is coming back from a serious lower-back injury.

Breno Giacomini looks like he’s improved his odds of making the final roster for a third season, considering the extensive work he got at right tackle with Lang out. Most teams will make room for an extra lineman, so Allen Barbre can make the roster though he’ll need a strong camp to do it.

Fifth-round pick Marshall Newhouse has a ways to go at guard, though he appeared more comfortable at tackle. Backup center Evan Dietrich-Smith, who made the team as an undrafted rookie last year, will be tough to knock off the roster.

Running backs

Ryan Grant is the unquestioned starter and again is headed for most of the carries.

Sixth-round pick James Starks, like Grant, is a tall back, and in nonpadded practices looked a little more athletic and agile than Grant. But most running backs are especially difficult to judge until the games, when they show whether they can break tackles and take hits.

Fourth-year pro Brandon Jackson has value because he’s become a sound pass blocker and also catches well.

Fullback Quinn Johnson is a masher, so there’s no knowing the strides he’s made fundamentally as a blocker from his rookie season until the pads go on. He showed signs late last season of being a punishing blocker at about 265 pounds, though he also has to show up as a cover man on special teams.

It’s hard to see the Packers keeping three fullbacks again, so if Johnson performs, then either John Kuhn or Korey Hall probably won’t be back for a fourth season.

Receivers

The top four will be the same for the third straight season with Greg Jennings and Donald Driver starting, and backups James Jones and Jordy Nelson sharing the No. 3 job.

Not much separates Jones and Nelson. Jones has settled into a playing weight of a little under 210 pounds after feeling too bulked up at closer to 220 two years ago. Nelson for the second straight offseason showed some chemistry with quarterback Aaron Rodgers when plays broke down, though last year it didn’t carry over much to the regular season.

Brett Swain appears to have made as impressive a recovery as Blackmon from knee surgery, which makes him a good bet to win the No. 5 job again, assuming he can perform close to the level he did in camp last year as a receiver and special-teams player.

The receivers with the best chance to challenge Swain or make the practice squad are Patrick Williams, who was on the 53-man roster the last three games last season, and Chastin West, an undrafted rookie who has good size (6-1, 212) and hands.

Tight ends

Judging from offseason practices, Jermichael Finley could be ready to take off as a playmaker after his strong finish as a receiver last year.

Rookie Andrew Quarless flashes good receiving talent and speed but probably is too raw to make much of a contribution this year ahead of steady-as-she-goes veteran Donald Lee. Spencer Havner’s promising move to tight end last year took a mind-boggling hit when he had to sit out all offseason after breaking his shoulder blade while messing around on a motorcycle.

Special teams

The punt-off between Tim Masthay and Chris Bryan looks as close as the coaching staff says. Masthay appears to have the slightly stronger leg, and the 28-year-old Bryan appears a little more polished, especially with his variety of unusual techniques on pooch punts after his career in Australian Rules Football.

wootah
06-27-2010, 07:22 AM
Rogers on the other hand was lauded as a natural punt returner when we drafted him, and then he couldn't catch the damn ball.

If I recall correctly, he could catch the ball, but the coaches were not happy with the way he did it so they tried to change his technique, with disastrous results.

Joemailman
06-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Rogers had developed a tendency to catch the ball with his hands out to his side. The Packers wanted him to catch the ball with with his hands directly in front of him. The reason is if the player muffs a punt with his hands directly in front, there is a good chance the ball will bounce directly in front of him, and he can either pick it up or fall on it. If he muffs a punt with his hands out to his side, the ball may bounce away from him in the direction of the gunner.

He couldn't make the change. I was at practice one day where they had him taking extra practice catching punts. He must have muffed half of them.

Fritz
06-27-2010, 10:33 AM
The article above mentions Harrell (Justin) as having only an outside shot to make the team due to concerns about durability.

This made me wonder if it would be a blessing for the Packers to have Johnny Jolly suspended by the league for the first four games of the season (if he's found not guilty in court). If he were suspended for conduct detrimental to the league or whatever it is, that would give Harrell the first four games to see if he can hold up.

On top of that, Jolly would be fresher toward the end of the season if he missed the first four.

All this assumes no injuries, I know, but....

What do people think? Would it benefit the Pack to have Jolly suspended for the first four games?

Joemailman
06-27-2010, 11:35 AM
The article above mentions Harrell (Justin) as having only an outside shot to make the team due to concerns about durability.

This made me wonder if it would be a blessing for the Packers to have Johnny Jolly suspended by the league for the first four games of the season (if he's found not guilty in court). If he were suspended for conduct detrimental to the league or whatever it is, that would give Harrell the first four games to see if he can hold up.

On top of that, Jolly would be fresher toward the end of the season if he missed the first four.

All this assumes no injuries, I know, but....

What do people think? Would it benefit the Pack to have Jolly suspended for the first four games?

Well, first of all I think a suspension might help Jolly realize that he needs to make some lifestyle changes.

However, I agree with your larger point. I've been thinking that if the Packers decide to keep Harrell, they might need to keep 7 DL instead of 6 because of the uncertainty of his availability. Keeping 6+Jolly might be better.

Raji, Pickett, Jenkins and Neal are locks for the 53 man roster. If the Packers keep Harrell, they are going to have to face releasing either Jarius Wynn or C.J.Wilson (or both) at some point. The longer they have to make that decision the better.

Fritz
06-27-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm a little surprised at the hype about Wilson. Wasn't he a seventh round pick? Is this the kool aid affecting us all, thinking he's going to be good enough to unseat Harrell?

Joemailman
06-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Actually, Wilson was projected to be a 4th round pick. Not sure why he dropped as far as he did. Probably because 4-3 teams didn't think he had enough pass rush ability. His pass rush ability is probably good enough for a 3-4 though.

http://draftace.com/profiles/2010/cj_wilson.htm

hoosier
06-28-2010, 08:00 AM

Well, it's a little bit different. Shields came in without much (any?) punt return experience in college, he was primarily a gunner and we could probably use him for that too. Rogers on the other hand was lauded as a natural punt returner when we drafted him, and then he couldn't catch the damn ball.

I could see Shields making this team purely on the basis of his ability as a special teams gunner and his long term potential as a punt returner. Rogers had no shot to make the team if he couldn't catch the damn punt.

By my count that would give GB eight position players on the roster whose real speciality is special teams (Shields, Kuhn, Hall, Havner, Blackmon, Bush, Swain, Martin). I wonder if they could still manage to rank last in ST with that many "specialists."

Guiness
06-28-2010, 02:56 PM
By my count that would give GB eight position players on the roster whose real speciality is special teams (Shields, Kuhn, Hall, Havner, Blackmon, Bush, Swain, Martin). I wonder if they could still manage to rank last in ST with that many "specialists."

it's blood albatross flavor, it's bloody sea bloody bird bloody flavor

packrulz
06-30-2010, 06:14 AM
One thing that really bugs me is the lousy special teams play, when the Packers won the Super Bowl they had great special teams. Now they have 2 punter who have never punted in an NFL game. I don't want to go through musical punters again! Bring back Craig Hentrich!

Green Bay Packers can't pick punter until seeing them in games
BY ROB DEMOVSKY • RDEMOVSK@GREENBAYPRESSGAZETTE.COM • JUNE 27, 2010
Chris Bryan and Tim Masthay can kick and kick and kick during training camp practices — and you can bet they will — but it won’t mean a thing if they can’t do it under the lights.
Because neither has kicked in an NFL game — preseason, regular season or otherwise — the Green Bay Packers don’t know whether they have an NFL-caliber punter on their roster.

“I won’t know that until we start playing games,” Packers special teamscoordinator Shawn Slocum said. “If you’re going to go get two young guys that haven’t done it, I don’t know how you can get two better ones.”

Still, it would be a mistake to assume that it’s a lock one or the other will be the Packers’ punter when the regular season opens on Sept. 12 at Philadelphia. It’s entirely possible their opening day punter is on another NFL roster or perhaps out of football entirely.

The Packers have played musical punters since they dumped Canadian Jon Ryan the week of the 2008 regular-season opener. Ryan had the job for two seasons.

They went with Washington castoff Derrick Frost in 2008, but he lasted only 12 games. Enter Jeremy Kapinos, who previously had appeared in only one NFL game (with the New York Jets in 2007). He finished the 2008 season and had the job all of last year but finished 31st in the league in net punting and wasn’t offered a contract for this season.

General Manager Ted Thompson in January signed Masthay, who spent part of last offseason with the Indianapolis Colts but was cut less than two weeks into training camp. Masthay was in a group of punters who worked out for the Packers last August, when Kapinos was struggling during camp.

Then, in March, on a recommendation from former Packers training camp punter Nathan Chapman of Australia, Thompson signed Bryan, a 28-year-old former Australian Rules Football player, who spent a year learning the NFL game from Chapman.

From a pure talent standpoint, the Packers believe they’re better off than they have been at the position since Mike McCarthy became the head coach in 2006. But talent always doesn’t translate to results.

McCarthy insisted before the minicamp that it was a tie between the punters at that point, but after two days of practice, it would appear Masthay gained a slight advantage. He had better hang times, an average of 4.28 compared to 3.98 seconds for Bryan, in the two lengthy punting periods.

“I’m pretty pleased with the work I’ve done so far,” Masthay said. “I think I’ve improved since we started the offseason program in March.

Each has different strengths and weaknesses.

Masthay has struggled with his get-off time — the length of time from catching the snap until the ball hits his foot — but his powerful leg has allowed him to post some impressive distances and hang times. Slocum wants a 1.25-second get-off time, which, combined with a snap that should get back to the punter in 0.75 seconds, should allow the punt to get away in no more than 2 seconds. No matter how well Masthay hits the ball, if he gets even one blocked, it could cost the Packers a game.

“We’re always trying to work for a 1.25 get-off time,” Masthay said. “I’m always kind of borderline on that and will need to continue to be very mindful of that.”

Bryan hasn’t had any issues with get-off time and has been more consistent in the pooch punting drills, pinning the returner inside the 10 using his Aussie-style kick in which he hits the point of the ball. But he has struggled at times when he’s free to swing away. That’s because he’s learning how to drop the ball correctly onto his foot, which is done differently in Australian Rules Football.

“I don’t feel like I’ve hit the ball as well as I can,” Bryan said. “But it’s all been learning for me, so now I know a little bit more about it, so I’ll be good for training camp.”

Both punters plan to remain in Green Bay during the down time leading up to the start of training camp on July 31. Masthay said he plans to continue working with strength coach Mark Lovat, while Bryan wants to further refine his technique.

“We’ve got two talented guys that have not punted in an NFL game,” Slocum said. “That’s a bridge we’ll cross when we get to training camp and start playing preseason games. But in terms of talent and production so far at practice, we’ve seen some very good things from those guys. The preseason games will go a long way toward determining which way we go.”

Joemailman
06-30-2010, 06:37 AM
I'd rather take my chances with one of these guys than bring in another known mediocrity like Frost or Kapinos. These guys actually seem to have some potential to be better than average if they can handle the pressure of game day. Whoever the packers end up with will be an improvement over Kapinos.

Fritz
06-30-2010, 07:49 AM
I know it's kool-aid season, but I feel okay about these two. Sounds like Bryan has an edge now. But we'll see.

KYPack
06-30-2010, 09:58 AM
There's a point of order here. BOTH of these guys might turn out to not be "the guy".

The American punter is a little slow on his kicks. That could be trouble.

The Aussie?

He might not totally get the hang of punting the American ball. This goes back to some personal insight. I played High School football and Semi-pro football. I tried out to be the punter on our high school team and had punted a little for Freshman and 8th grade teams. I sucked, I'd say I was about 6th out of 7 kickers that tried out for punter. In Semi-pro, I never even tried out.

After hanging up my football cleats, I played Rugby for many years. I played my last game when I was 45. In my 3rd season of Rugby, I played fullback. A rugby fullback functions as the teams "punter" at times. An Aussie and a South African played for our team. These guys worked with me to improve my kicking. These guys introduced me to a whole new world of kicking a ball. Aussie's LOVE the kicking part of Rugby. The worst Aussie kicker is normally better than any yank at booting the ball.

A rugby ball (and a Aussie rules football) is made to be kicked. Your average Aussie is twice as good as any Yank at the kicking portion of rugger. They've been kicking the hell out of a rugby ball since they were 3 or 4 years old. A rugby ball is designed to be kicked. It's bigger, fatter, and has a blunt nose. It's also pressurized differently. An American NFL football is made to be thrown. It's hard, sleek and tough as hell to kick.

NFL ST coaches want a quick punt (the 1.25-second get-off time) made with a two step kick ONLY. Asking an Aussie to do this is like asking a great artist to paint houses. They will do it and understand that what the job calls for, but their nature is to use their whole bag of tricks. That, coupled the fact that the NFL ball is easily the worst ball to kick in all the world's kicking sports, means the Aussie could have a ton of problems in the NFL I hope Bryan turns out for us, but there is the possibility that neither of these guys will be able to do the job.

Tony Oday
06-30-2010, 10:28 AM
where were you a rugger? I played for Winona State and damn is that a fun sport! I am surprised its not a more prominant sport in the US cause you get to hit people and not expensive to get a ball :)

MadScientist
06-30-2010, 11:00 AM
NFL ST coaches want a quick punt (the 1.25-second get-off time) made with a two step kick ONLY. Asking an Aussie to do this is like asking a great artist to paint houses. They will do it and understand that what the job calls for, but their nature is to use their whole bag of tricks. That, coupled the fact that the NFL ball is easily the worst ball to kick in all the world's kicking sports, means the Aussie could have a ton of problems in the NFL I hope Bryan turns out for us, but there is the possibility that neither of these guys will be able to do the job.

Given the differences in pay checks, the artists would be asking 'Where are the rollers?' Bryan has been working for a year on NFL techniques, while still being able to use his techniques for directional punting. I'm not saying he'll be great, or even win the battle, but after working for a year, it's no longer the big shift you were describing.

Patler
06-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Bryan has several things going for him:
This isn't a lark. He's been training for a year to make the switch.
He is working closely with Nathan Chapman who has a school specifically to train Aussies for the NFL.
He has sought the advice and counsel of Sav Rocca, who made the conversion after a very long, very successful pro career in Australia.

I'm not saying he will make it, but at least he seems to be doing everything he can to make it, especially by consulting with those who know the differences and know what it will take for him to make the switch.

KYPack
06-30-2010, 09:17 PM
where were you a rugger? I played for Winona State and damn is that a fun sport! I am surprised its not a more prominant sport in the US cause you get to hit people and not expensive to get a ball :)

Cincinnati.

Re: our Aussie punter. I KNOW there is a strong financial reason for an Aussie rules kicker to play NFL football. There are 3 of 'em now.

But it is a huge transistion. If he hadn't been practicing for a year & working with a tutor, he probably wouldn't make it.

Iron Mike
07-01-2010, 07:23 AM

it's blood albatross flavor, it's bloody sea bloody bird bloody flavor

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05_04/parrotsceneBBC_468x331.jpg

Lovely bird, isn't it? Beautiful plumage.

Zool
07-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Is he pining for the fjords?

Joemailman
07-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Clay Matthews had this to sat on Twitter:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_nfl.aspx

Camp cant get here soon enough... 261 and in the best shape of my life!!

Some might wonder is 261 is a little heavy for that position. I don't. Kevin Greene wants his OLB's to go through the opposing OT, not around them. Just wondering what people think. Also wondering if anyone attending mini-camp noticed if Matthews looked noticeably bigger.