PDA

View Full Version : "BISHOP WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE PLAYING TIME"

Bretsky
06-22-2010, 08:35 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/96853914.html

Well, it's a football article

I wonder if we could land a 4th for this guy ?

If he's not going to see the field much he'll probably leave. Might not be a bad idea to trade him.

Joemailman
06-22-2010, 09:22 PM
A.J. Hawk is due to make 10 million in base salary in 2011. If Bishop sticks it out one more year, he may replace Hawk in the lineup in 2011.

bobblehead
06-22-2010, 09:32 PM
A.J. Hawk is due to make 10 million in base salary in 2011. If Bishop sticks it out one more year, he may replace Hawk in the lineup in 2011.

Or we get a new collective bargaining agreement and he leaves as a free agent. Too early to speculate, article and Bishop say he is simply doing everything he is asked, we can worry about the rest next season.

get louder at lambeau
06-22-2010, 09:47 PM
IF he doesn't play much this year, he shouldn't be overly expensive to re-sign in FA. I wouldn't go trading away ANY talent right now. It's time to make a run at the trophy, and we need all the good players we can get.

packerbacker1234
06-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Actually, I was pretty sure "chillar" was the one taking Hawks place. He has already unseated him in many situations as is, and was given a decent contract.

Bishop seems to be around every year because he is a solid player, but he hasn't been able to do anything to really solidify more playing time.

Don't tell me it's all about Hawks contract either, because magically CHillar found a way to pretty much get into the lineup extremely often and usually replace Hawk.

So...

Yeah. Sorry Bishop - I really think your just around for special teams, tbh.

Lurker64
06-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Dear Mr. Bishop,

If you wish to get more playing time. Kindly play better. What's not at issue here is that you make plays when given the opportunity, your ability to do that is exemplary. The thing that's going to keep you out of the starting line up is also your tendency to give up plays. That A.J. Hawk guy who's ahead of you on the depth chart at your position? He's not there because he makes a lot of plays, frankly he doesn't make nearly enough to make us feel good about where we drafted him. But A.J. virtually never screws up and almost always makes his assignment. It's okay to have one guy on your defense that doesn't make plays, because there's 10 other guys on there who might be able to (and Woodson makes enough for six or seven other guys). Remember that most of the time, if everybody on the defense simply does their job, the defense wins the play; so we can't afford even one guy on defense who has a tendency to freelance and screw up. Remember Anthony Smith? He got cut for that very reason. As many plays as he made, he's not here anymore because the coaches couldn't count on him to reliably do what he was supposed to do. You're absolutely top notch on special teams, and that will keep you employed in this league if not by us, but if you want more playing time you don't need to make the highs higher, just make the lows less low and less frequent.

KYPack
06-23-2010, 07:18 AM
Good post, Lurk.

Capers defense requires players to be in proper position at all time. The departed Smith and Bishop are the same kind of guys. Great from the neck down, but not attuned to the mental side of the game.

Bisop's lack of knowing his assignments in all situations will continue to keep him on the pine, unless he turns it around. Bishop is now a Mike. On 98% of the run, he plugs. On the pass, he must learn when and where to cover. Capers 3-4 will give up plays if the Mike is out of position. Dom doesn't really trust Bishop yet. Desmond has to get it together.

vince
06-23-2010, 07:48 AM
He can thump with the best of them, but Bishop's problems are in coverage, whether it's running with a TE down the middle or a running back on a swing route or screen. In an era where passing yards outnumber rushing yards by more than 3 to 1 and teams will use the pass on every down and distance, like Lurker said, that's a problem. It only takes one liability to get scored on in a hurry.

Hawk is clearly not an elite coverage backer, but he's far more reliable than Bishop.

ThunderDan
06-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Dear Mr. Bishop,

If you wish to get more playing time. Kindly play better. What's not at issue here is that you make plays when given the opportunity, your ability to do that is exemplary. The thing that's going to keep you out of the starting line up is also your tendency to give up plays. That A.J. Hawk guy who's ahead of you on the depth chart at your position? He's not there because he makes a lot of plays, frankly he doesn't make nearly enough to make us feel good about where we drafted him. But A.J. virtually never screws up and almost always makes his assignment. It's okay to have one guy on your defense that doesn't make plays, because there's 10 other guys on there who might be able to (and Woodson makes enough for six or seven other guys). Remember that most of the time, if everybody on the defense simply does their job, the defense wins the play; so we can't afford even one guy on defense who has a tendency to freelance and screw up. Remember Anthony Smith? He got cut for that very reason. As many plays as he made, he's not here anymore because the coaches couldn't count on him to reliably do what he was supposed to do. You're absolutely top notch on special teams, and that will keep you employed in this league if not by us, but if you want more playing time you don't need to make the highs higher, just make the lows less low and less frequent.

PS- You shine in the preseason against the 3rd and 4th stringers and sometimes against the 2s. Playing well against 2s, 3s and 4s earns you no right to complain about your playing time. We have all seen your "stellar" performances against 1s in the few games you have played at LB.

Fritz
06-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Honestly, the article was fine. He wasn't complaining. He said he'd like to play more and he understood the situation. Nobody wants the guy to say he loves snagging a paycheck and not having to play a lot, right?

If he wants that time on the D, though, he does need to learn to be in the right place at the right time like he's supposed to and not just free lance. But he's enough of a vet that he ought to be able to demonstrate his consistency this year.

rbaloha1
06-23-2010, 02:07 PM

Exactly. Needs to be more consistent which is correctable. Takes bad angles in pass coverage which again is correctable.

DB probably suffers the same fate this season (barring injury). Hawk is too expensive and can find another team to over pay an overrated player.

denverYooper
06-23-2010, 03:00 PM
(a phone rings)
2010: Hello?
2009: You son of a bitch, I want my story back!
2010: Whatever do you mean?
2009: You know. The one about Bishop wanting more playing time!
2010: Oh, uh, heh, well, you know it's summer and all and... you know... there are certain drums to beat, alarms to ring, that sort of thing
2009: I don't give a shit! GIMME MY GODDAMN STORY BACK!
2010: Ummm...
(a phone rings)
2009: I have to get that, but I'm not through with you!
2009: Hello. 2009 here.
2008: You son of a bitch...

bobblehead
06-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Dear Mr. Bishop,

PS- You shine in the preseason against the 3rd and 4th stringers and sometimes against the 2s. Playing well against 2s, 3s and 4s earns you no right to complain about your playing time. We have all seen your "stellar" performances against 1s in the few games you have played at LB.

It would be nice if someone actually READ the article. He isn't complaining about playing time at all...NOT ONE TIME. Christ people!!! Who the fuck titled this thread. You might as well of titled it "Woodson wants more money" Or Jolly wants more drugs. How about Underwood wants more pussy. FFS, just cuz someone wants something doesn't mean he is complaining or being a problem in any way.

ThunderDan
06-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Dear Mr. Bishop,

It would be nice if someone actually READ the article. He isn't complaining about playing time at all...NOT ONE TIME. Christ people!!! Who the fuck titled this thread. You might as well of titled it "Woodson wants more money" Or Jolly wants more drugs. How about Underwood wants more pussy. FFS, just cuz someone wants something doesn't mean he is complaining or being a problem in any way.

PPS- Dear JSO stop posting these stories on how much better Bishop is than any other LB on the Packers. We have all seen him play in regular season games and there is a reason he is on the pine.

Guiness
06-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Know what I got from all this?

Hawk is due $10million BASE in 2011?????

Base? Before incentives?
Is that some sort of a balloon payment to force the Pack to extend or release? Sounds and awful lot like the Mike Wahle situation. Unless we renegotiate, you have to think he'll be gone. The non-exclusive franchise tag for '09 was $8.3 million.

Patler
06-23-2010, 04:34 PM
(a phone rings)
2010: Oh, uh, heh, well, you know it's summer and all and... you know... there are certain drums to beat, alarms to ring, that sort of thing
(a phone rings)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was thinking the same thing about the article that appeared today in the GBPG:
"Green Bay Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk strives for greater impact"
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100622/PKR01/100622138/1058/Former-first-round-pick-Hawk-strives-for-greater-impact

I think that article is in its third reprint this year!

KYPack
06-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Know what I got from all this?

Hawk is due $10million BASE in 2011?????

Base? Before incentives?
Is that some sort of a balloon payment to force the Pack to extend or release? Sounds and awful lot like the Mike Wahle situation. Unless we renegotiate, you have to think he'll be gone. The non-exclusive franchise tag for '09 was $8.3 million.

Yeah. It's 4.6 mill this season, high, but other backers are getting that.

If he's on the roster in March '11, he gets a 10 million base.

That's the part of a rookie deal that nobody ever gets.

Hawk ain't gettin' it either.

He renegotiates or he's getting cut.

Patler
06-23-2010, 06:14 PM

His agent seems to get it. He said they would not entertain discussions for reducing his salary in 2010, but would be willing to discuss 2011. Doesn't seem like an unreasonable position.

swede
06-23-2010, 08:18 PM
(a phone rings)
(a phone rings)

I love the feigned conversation as a comic editorial device. Nice.

MJZiggy
06-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Wouldn't pretty much every player like to see more playing time?

mission
06-23-2010, 08:53 PM

His agent seems to get it. He said they would not entertain discussions for reducing his salary in 2010, but would be willing to discuss 2011. Doesn't seem like an unreasonable position.

Definitely not unreasonable. I always thought the agent-speak referred to the contract in general and Hawk was almost hoping for an opportunity on the FA market knowing damn well the Pack isn't going to pay him 10+ mil. If he's willing to work it out, possibly get extended, but get a number closer to his actual value, then he's probably worth keeping around.

Funny thing about the GBPG article too... I thought the exact same thing.. "havent I read this a few times?!"

Joemailman
06-23-2010, 09:17 PM

Exactly. Needs to be more consistent which is correctable. Takes bad angles in pass coverage which again is correctable.

DB probably suffers the same fate this season (barring injury). Hawk is too expensive and can find another team to over pay an overrated player.

It's debatable as to whether his shortcomings are correctable. Bishop's shortcomings in the passing game were well documented, and probably the main reason he was available late in the draft despite being a very productive player at Cal.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/559522?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

Has poor backpedal technique, as he is prone to taking false steps and his stiff hips makes him look awkward in attempts to turn and run after the ball … Has limited man coveraqe agility, as he is more often trailing the receiver rather than mirroring his opponent … Shows poor body flexibility when dropping off in coverage, getting a bit out of control in his charge when having to change direction … Doesn't have the burst to get a jump on the ball in flight when playing in the zone.

The best you can probably hope for is to be able to "hide" him in zone coverage. Or send him after the quarterback.

rbaloha1
06-23-2010, 09:31 PM

It's debatable as to whether his shortcomings are correctable. Bishop's shortcomings in the passing game were well documented, and probably the main reason he was available late in the draft despite being a very productive player at Cal.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/559522?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

Has poor backpedal technique, as he is prone to taking false steps and his stiff hips makes him look awkward in attempts to turn and run after the ball … Has limited man coveraqe agility, as he is more often trailing the receiver rather than mirroring his opponent … Shows poor body flexibility when dropping off in coverage, getting a bit out of control in his charge when having to change direction … Doesn't have the burst to get a jump on the ball in flight when playing in the zone.

The best you can probably hope for is to be able to "hide" him in zone coverage. Or send him after the quarterback.

Bishop's mentioned physical limitations can be improved upon with an NFL strength and training program.

IMO Bishop is slow to recognize pass routes. Maybe too scared to make a mistake. Just wait when Bishop is the starter in 2011.

Joemailman
06-23-2010, 09:33 PM
He was drafted in 2007. When's he gonna enroll in that program?

rbaloha1
06-23-2010, 09:41 PM
He was drafted in 2007. When's he gonna enroll in that program?

IMO DB's improved from someone's physical limitations opinion. If DB was as bad as that CBS stuff DB would not be on a NFL roster.

pbmax
06-24-2010, 01:12 AM

Bishop's mentioned physical limitations can be improved upon with an NFL strength and training program.

IMO Bishop is slow to recognize pass routes. Maybe too scared to make a mistake. Just wait when Bishop is the starter in 2011.
rb, I have a sneaking suspicion that if the flaws were going to be corrected, they would have been corrected before year 4. I think he is what he is. Same goes for Hawk.

Fritz
06-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Come on, PB. It's summertime.

Personally, I am still holding out hope that Robert Ferguson can blossom this year.

ThunderDan
06-24-2010, 04:08 PM

If Hawk is gone after 2010 for not renegotiating his contact, I pray that Bishop is not our starter. He can't play the thumper roll that Hawk plays and he can't read plays that Barnett does to clean up behind Hawk and the D-line.

The only thing Bishop excels at is when you turn him loose and he shoots a gap. But even with that time after time he crashes thru the wrong gap and the RB goes right where Bishop was supposed to be.

To be honest when Bishop makes hits he is really bringing the wood. The guy lights people up. The problem is a LB needs to make tackles and not the highlight reel. It's great when a LB makes an outstanding play but the reality is you want him making tackles near the line of scrimmage. Not miss their assignments by going for a kill shot and watching the RB take off for a 40 yard scamper.

retailguy
06-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Come on, PB. It's summertime.

Personally, I am still holding out hope that Robert Ferguson can blossom this year.

you watch the UFL?