PDA

View Full Version : Draft Pick Signings

vince
06-23-2010, 03:49 PM
The dominoes start falling. The 2nd 5th, 6th and 7th rounders are signed. I think someone will have to go for each of the remaining signings if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2010/06/23/1/

Packers Sign Three Draft Picks

posted 06/23/2010

The Green Bay Packers have signed G/T Marshall Newhouse, RB James Starks and DE C.J. Wilson. The signings were announced Wednesday by Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson.

Newhouse, the second of the team's two fifth-round draft picks, was a three-year starter at left tackle for TCU. He appeared in 52 career games, including 38 starts, and earned first-team All-Mountain West Conference honors as a senior.

Starks, a sixth-round selection, became Buffalo's all-time leading rusher in just three collegiate seasons (2006-2008). Though he missed the 2009 season due to injury, he also holds school records for rushing touchdowns (34) and points scored (222).

Wilson, a seventh-round pick, was a four-year letterman at East Carolina. In 54 career games, including 37 starts to close out his collegiate career, he tallied 192 tackles, including 45½ for loss, and 27 sacks. He earned first-team All-Conference USA honors each of his final two seasons.

The rookies are the first three of the Packers' seven draft picks to sign with the team.

vince
06-24-2010, 06:56 AM
The Packers are about a week behind last years' schedule in getting their picks signed. Here's how it played out last year.

June 15 - signed last three picks (Jones, Underwood, Wynn)
June 25 - Meredith
July 7 - Lang
July 22 - Johnson
July 30 - Matthews
August 14 - Raji

Training camp starts July 31 this year. Last year, it started August 1.

I tend to agree with the philosophy of waiting and making sure your picks are properly slotted with the rest of the draft. It takes any contentiousness out of negotiations, puts the team on solid ground in working a deal and ensures you pay market rates, which is fair for both sides.

Fritz
06-24-2010, 07:15 AM
Mark my words, Newhouse will be a very solid starter in this league as a guard.

How do I know this?

Have I watched him play and followed his career? No.

Did I do intensive reading on him? No.

Do I really know a damn thing about him? No.

But I...I...I have this....Feeling.

swede
06-24-2010, 07:31 AM

How do I know this?

Oh, it's MORE than a feeling. (Cue Boston)

Can you validate the accuracy of your internal football success sensors with any past positive readings that proved, subsequently, to be correct?

My dismissal of Aaron Rodgers as a injury-plagued bust (Please remember that at one point in his Packer career he had taken one regular season snap and used the opportunity to break his foot) is evidence enough that I place no trust at all in my Football Feeling Meter, although the thing was buzzing like crazy after James Starks was picked.

Fritz
06-24-2010, 09:47 AM
I liked Mike Wahle when Wolf picked him in that extra-draft draft (the supplemental draft)

I liked Corey Williams

But then again, I liked Robert Ferguson and Odell Thurman, too.

So maybe Newhouse will be good. Or maybe he won't.

And you can bet on that.

vince
06-24-2010, 10:34 AM
And there's a chance that Wilson could turn out to be the best of these last three picks...

Newhouse appears to have some work to do yet to develop the footwork he'll need.

I'm a Starks fan too. If he can get/stay healthy and hang onto the ball, he could be electric.

Chug up boys! :glug:

Lurker64
06-24-2010, 01:57 PM
The dominoes start falling. The 2nd 5th, 6th and 7th rounders are signed. I think someone will have to go for each of the remaining signings if I'm not mistaken.

Wait, when did we sign Mike Neal? I don't remember seeing that anywhere.

vince
06-24-2010, 02:08 PM
The second 5th rounder (Newhouse) is signed. The first 5th round pick (Quarless) is not yet signed. Nor is the (only) 2nd round pick...

Sorry about the confusion there.

Lurker64
06-24-2010, 02:25 PM
The second 5th rounder (Newhouse) is signed. The first 5th round pick (Quarless) is not yet signed. Nor is the (only) 2nd round pick...

Sorry about the confusion there.

Ah, okay. I probably should have noticed the lack of a comma, but was confused.

Tarlam!
06-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Chug up boys! :glug:

BEST DAMNED POST IN EONS!!!! :glug::glug::glug::glug::glug:

Bretsky
06-24-2010, 05:35 PM

How do I know this?

GREAT
We both really like Newhouse

Dude is probably screwed before he even gets to training camp :!:

bobblehead
06-24-2010, 05:50 PM

How do I know this?

He has "it"

Patler
06-24-2010, 08:47 PM

How do I know this?

GREAT

Should I give him my Atlas Herron endorsement and ensure his failure? :D

retailguy
06-24-2010, 09:07 PM
I liked Mike Wahle when Wolf picked him in that extra-draft draft (the supplemental draft)

I liked Corey Williams

But then again, I liked Robert Ferguson and Odell Thurman, too.

So maybe Newhouse will be good. Or maybe he won't.

And you can bet on that.

thanks for nailing it down for me. you predict 6-10, and i'll kill you.

MJZiggy
06-24-2010, 09:17 PM

How do I know this?

GREAT

Dudes...QUIT CURSING THE DRAFT PICKS! Thank you.

Bretsky
06-24-2010, 10:25 PM

How do I know this?

GREAT

That was classic; yes you might as well :lol:

Fritz
06-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Poor Newhouse. His future ruined by a few football nerds on an obscure website.

How random are our fates!

vince
06-25-2010, 08:55 AM
http://cheeseheadtv.com/nfl/packers-rookie-contract-details

According to a league source, the three Green Bay Packers who signed on Wednesday received four-year deals with base salaries at the league minimum in each year. ($320,000 in 2010, $405,000 in 2011, $490,000 in 2012, and $575,000 in 2013)

Fifth-round offensive tackle Marshall Newhouse received a signing bonus of $149,850, bringing the base value of his contract to $1.939 million dollars. Sixth-round running back James Starks received a $100,300 signing bonus, pushing the total value of his contract to $1.89 million dollars. Seventh-round defensive end C.J. Wilson’s signing bonus was $50,354, making his four-year pact worth $1.84 million dollars.

Each player’s contract contains fourth-year base salary escalators.

Newhouse, Starks, and Wilson are the first of the team’s seven 2010 draft picks to sign.

MJZiggy
06-25-2010, 06:09 PM
I want the league minimum, dammit.

Lurker64
06-25-2010, 06:25 PM

Well, how fast can you run 40 yards, how high can you jump, and how many times can you bench press 225 lbs?

Joemailman
06-25-2010, 09:26 PM

Would you settle for the tender given to the Packerrats poster who is #2 in total posts?

packrulz
07-10-2010, 05:55 AM
Fifth-round pick Andrew Quarless signs with Packers
The National Football Post

The Green Bay Packers have signed tight end Andrew Quarless(notes) to a four-year contract.

The fifth-round draft pick from Penn State is expected to compete for time in a backup role behind Jermichael Finley(notes) this season.

Quarless’ contract includes a signing bonus worth nearly $183,000, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. The deals keep coming in but there has yet to be a first rounder signed. Training camps kick off in less than three weeks.

retailguy
07-10-2010, 07:24 AM

You didn't grow up in the barrio, you don't like purple drank, you don't own a gun, and you don't have a bunch of "hanger ons" that follow you everywhere.

You don't qualify. Sorry.

vince
07-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Signings league-wide are behind last year's schedule.

The Packers are a little over two weeks behind last year's signing schedule (with three weeks remaining until camp) according to the rounds the now-signed players were picked.

There are not yet any first round picks signed by any team in the league.

Fritz
07-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Bulaga, as on offensive lineman, will be further behind than guys at other positions (I'm thinking defensive linemen or corners) if he's not in on time. Playing the offensivle line seems to require lots of thinking and practicing. Pretty complicated stuff.

wist43
07-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Bulaga, as on offensive lineman, will be further behind than guys at other positions (I'm thinking defensive linemen or corners) if he's not in on time. Playing the offensivle line seems to require lots of thinking and practicing. Pretty complicated stuff.

The learning curve at OT is pretty steep... hopefully they don't start moving him around. Let him learn one spot, and when he's ready - or needed, ready or not, throw him in there and live with the growing pains.

red
07-10-2010, 11:37 AM

Well, how fast can you run 40 yards, how high can you jump, and how many times can you bench press 225 lbs?

LOL, silly person

women can't run and jump. they would be constantly hitting themselves in the face with their boobs

Lurker64
07-10-2010, 12:59 PM

The learning curve at OT is pretty steep... hopefully they don't start moving him around. Let him learn one spot, and when he's ready - or needed, ready or not, throw him in there and live with the growing pains.

Well, in terms of the scheme Bulaga should be pretty well off since the run blocking scheme they use at Iowa is pretty much exactly the same as the one we use in Green Bay, so that should be just terminology. The one thing that takes a while is "learning how to block NFL pass-rushers" who are significantly savvier, stronger, and faster than the guys you will block in college. But Bulaga has spent some time up against some pretty good pass rushers (Brandon Graham, Derrick Morgan, O'Brien Schofield, Adrian Clayborne, to name a few) so he probably wouldn't get caught totally off guard. The fact that his fundamentals are already pretty solid, and that Cliffy is taking a real interest in teaching the guy cause me to take heart.

Guiness
07-10-2010, 10:35 PM

How do I know this?

He has "it"

That would be 'pad level'?

Guiness
07-10-2010, 10:43 PM

The Packers are a little over two weeks behind last year's signing schedule (with three weeks remaining until camp) according to the rounds the now-signed players were picked.

Even Bradford isn't signed, eh? Insane.

No one answered my question from a few weeks ago, about how the slotting is going to work with no collective bargaining agreement. I think things could get funky.

What forces the teams to 'respect' the slotting? What are the players going to do, re-enter the draft? In years past, that would've been a threat, but no longer, because everyone knows the paydays for the first round rookies are done and over with.

MadScientist
07-11-2010, 12:13 AM

LOL, silly person

women can't run and jump. they would be constantly hitting themselves in the face with their boobs
Well there can be good money in doing that in front of a crowd as well.

ThunderDan
07-11-2010, 09:56 PM

Even Bradford isn't signed, eh? Insane.

No one answered my question from a few weeks ago, about how the slotting is going to work with no collective bargaining agreement. I think things could get funky.

What forces the teams to 'respect' the slotting? What are the players going to do, re-enter the draft? In years past, that would've been a threat, but no longer, because everyone knows the paydays for the first round rookies are done and over with.

The other issue is guaranteed money this year. The draft picks want it with no idea if the 2011 season will happen. I'm sure they would take less total money to increase the upfront money this year.

Fritz
07-12-2010, 08:47 AM

How do I know this?

He has "it"

Don't forget knee-bend and quick feet and his three-cone drill time.

retailguy
07-12-2010, 09:26 AM

How do I know this?

He has "it"

Don't forget knee-bend and quick feet and his three-cone drill time.

Does he have a thing for "purple drank"?

packrulz
07-14-2010, 05:28 AM
Green Bay Packers' unsigned draft picks Bryan Bulaga, Mike Neal, Morgan Burnett no cause for alarm
BY KAREEM COPELAND • KCOPELAND@GREENBAYPRESSGAZETTE.COM • JULY 13, 2010

The Green Bay Packers have yet to sign their top three draft picks, though one could be under contract by the end of the week.
It is common to have early picks unsigned in mid-July — only one player drafted in the first two rounds was signed as of Tuesday. The New York Jets signed offensive lineman Vladimir Ducasse (second round, No. 61 overall) last week to a four-year, $3.35 million deal with a signing bonus of slightly more than $1 million, FOXSports.com reported.

Packers third-round pick Morgan Burnett is close to agreeing to terms, his agent said Tuesday. The two parties are in the final stages of settling on a signing bonus and the structure of the contract.

“You’re just trying to make sure your guy gets all he’s entitled to based on the numbers that are floating around,” said Robert Brown, Burnett’s agent. “This is pretty much normal. … We’re not that far off.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if by this weekend a deal gets done.”

Burnett lined up at safety with the No. 1 unit throughout offseason workouts in the absence of Atari Bigby, who has yet to sign his restricted free agent tender. Burnett will likely sign for the rookie minimum -- $320,000 in 2010, $405,000 in 2011 and $490,000 in 2012 – as did offensive lineman Marshall Newhouse (fifth round) and running back James Starks (sixth round). Tight end Andrew Quarless (fifth round) and defensive end C.J. Wilson (seventh round) have also been signed by the Packers.

Those selected in the third round and later normally sign for the minimum with varying bonuses.

The question becomes, when will those selected in the first two rounds start signing?

Based on recent history, Packers first-round selection Bryan Bulaga may not be under contract when training camp begins July 31.

Offensive tackle Michael Oher, who was drafted last year in the same No. 23 first-round spot as Bulaga, missed the first two days of training camp before signing a five-year, $13.8 million deal with the Baltimore Ravens. The Packers’ first-round selection last year, defensive tackle B.J. Raji (No. 9 overall), held out for two weeks before signing for five years and $28.5 million.

“Would I love to be in on time? Yeah,” Bulaga said during mandatory minicamp. “But there’s a business part to it.

“My job is to come out and play football. … I would love to be out working, but there’s a business side to it. I have to let my agent do his job and (Packers negotiator Russ) Ball has to do his job, and that’s just how it is.”

The Packers didn’t have a second-round pick in 2009, trading up to grab linebacker Clay Matthews in the first round. Defensive lineman Mike Neal was taken No. 56 overall by the team this year. By comparison, defensive tackle Fili Moala was selected by the Indianapolis Colts at No. 56 last year and signed a four-year deal the day before training camp began.

NationalFootballPost.com reported Monday that some teams intentionally delay signing draft picks to avoid giving players bonuses early in the summer. There are concerns by some teams that players would not work as hard during the offseason and spend the summer partying with their signing bonus money.

The website quoted one unnamed general manager as saying he “likes keeping the rookies poor and hungry until camp. … Don’t even start negotiations until after the July 4th weekend.”

packrulz
07-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Packers Sign Third Rounder Burnett
Posted by Kareem Copeland July 16th, 2010, 2:51 pm
The Green Bay Packers signed third round safety Morgan Burnett to a four-year deal, agent Robert Brown confirmed.
Brown said the contract was finalized around 45 minutes ago, but would not release the details.
The Packers are now down to two unsigned draft picks – first-rounder Bryan Bulaga and second-rounder Mike Neal.

CaliforniaCheez
07-17-2010, 01:57 AM
It will take s couple of days for the league office approval of the contract before the formal announcement. The agent has no reason not to announce the signing or to be untruthful about it.

Two weeks for 2 more signings. There aren't many other 2nd round signings done around the league but this should all rap up nicely in time.

Fritz
07-17-2010, 06:13 AM
I feel pretty good about where the Pack is at in terms of signings. However, there seems to be some uncertainty about the first two rounders - for all teams. Funny though, there is still talk in the media about slotting - lots of comparing what last year's first round pick taken at #15 signed for compared to Team X's first round pick taken at #15 this year.

Is that media speculation or are agents and teams still using that formula, I wonder?

CaliforniaCheez
07-19-2010, 11:25 AM
http://www.post-trib.com/sports/gorches/2502380,sgorches-0716.article

Article highlights:

Unless you're an ultra-talented, first-round draft pick in the National Football League nothing is guaranteed. Merrillville High School and Purdue University graduate Mike Neal is finding that out that hard way.

Neal was the 24th pick of the second round of April's NFL draft, 56th overall, by the Green Bay Packers.

Neal has learned about the complicated part of being a second-round pick in the NFL over the last couple months leading up to this point, two weeks before training camp opens.

He's got no money.

Maybe that's a little bit of an exaggeration. He probably has about as much money in his pockets as the average newspaper sports writer -- that's not very much -- but it's not a result of anything earned by the defensive lineman.

At least not yet.

His spot in the draft should earn him around a $1 million signing bonus and close to $1 million a year ... once he signs a contract.

You see, he still hasn't put his John Hancock on a piece of paper that results in getting paid, or allows him to show up for training camp.

He's not too worried about that last part.

"I've had a lot of people ask me, 'Will you make it to camp on time?' There's not much history of second-round picks holding out, so I'll be there," Neal told me this week from his new residence in Green Bay.

In fact, Neal said he can't wait to work some more and learn coach Mike McCarthy's system after a very productive mini camp and OTA (Organized Team Activities).

"They actually went well," Neal said. "In college I heard about possible two-a-days (in mini camp), but we only had one practice a day because McCarthy was impressed with the way we showed the Packers standard. We did such a good job that he only had us practice once."

But he is concerned about getting his contract situation resolved so he can pay back everybody he's been borrowing money from.

"I don't have instant money," he said. "I'm still living like a college kid, working for free right now, getting money from my agency that I have to pay back."

But, like he optimistically reiterated, that should change soon since he's looking forward to the first day of Packers camp on July 31.

"I'm sure the intensity of practice will be higher," he said. "But football is football. I'll just put my helmet on and do what I do."

Besides the football, he'll likely get to be one of the players who will make a kid's day by riding their bike or walking with them across Oneida Street from the Don Hutson Center practice facility to Lambeau Field.

"Yeah, I heard about that," Neal said. "Sounds like fun."

Tony Oday
07-19-2010, 11:37 AM
As long as Neal signs I am satisfied. I am hopeful we dont need Bulaga this year.

Gunakor
07-20-2010, 12:40 AM
As long as Neal signs I am satisfied. I am hopeful we dont need Bulaga this year.

I'm convinced beyond a doubt that we will definitely need to call on Bulaga's services at some point this season. I just don't see Clifton lasting a full 16+ games. I'm sure Bulaga will have to fill in for at least one or two starts over the course of the season.

And that's a good thing IMO. His experience this year will serve him well in seasons to come. Best for him to get his feet wet this year when he's not the #1 LT so when Cliffy is gone for good he'll be ahead of the curve when asked to be the regular starter.

Freak Out
07-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Burnett signed.

CaliforniaCheez
07-22-2010, 07:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5402508

The Cowboys signed #24 Dez Bryant to a five year deal worth 11.8 million. The signing bonus is not announced but the agent says 8.5 guaranteed.

Now Bulaga at #23 and the Packers know they will have to offer a slightly better deal.

This will help the Packers get everyone signed on time.

The market is no more set for Bulaga than Neal. Only 2 second round guys are signed while the guy after Bulaga is signed.

Joemailman
07-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Last year OT Mick Oher was the 23rd pick and signed a contract for 13.8 million, with 7.8 guaranteed. Not too hard to figure out what Bulaga will likely get. This shouldn't be too tough.