PDA

View Full Version : Jordy love

HarveyWallbangers
06-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Jordy

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100623/PKR01/100623139/1058/Stellar-offseason-has-WR-Nelson-poised-for-next-level

Green Bay Packers receiver Jordy Nelson has put together a phenomenal offseason in his third year, demanding attention with his play in organized team activity practices and minicamp.

Passes stuck to his gloves. Defenders couldn’t keep up. Any ball in his vicinity seemed catchable.

As quarterback Aaron Rodgers and his bag of offensive toys prepare for what the organization hopes is a lengthy playoff run, Nelson looks ready for a bigger role.

“Jordy has had, by far, his best offseason,” receivers coach Jimmy Robinson said. “He’s feeling so comfortable out there, that he’s making a ton of plays.”

The team prides itself on drafting and developing its own players and examples litter the roster: Aaron Rodgers, Donald Driver, Jermichael Finley, Greg Jennings, Nick Barnett. Putting Nelson in that group with proven commodities is premature after an offseason running routes in shorts and helmets, but no one denies the strides he has made.

“Thing about Jordy is, when he first came in you looked at him and said this guy has all the talent to be a great receiver,” Driver said. “Jordy just wants an opportunity.

“The good thing about it is our receiving group is so deep, (but) it’s hard for guys to get that opportunity.”

rbaloha1
06-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Hopefully JN does not have to rtn kicks next season and emerges as a legit threat.

RashanGary
06-24-2010, 06:07 AM
I know it's OTA's, but I'm buying the Jordy hype. He has size, strength, hands, deep speed and just enough wiggle. Driver, Jennings and Jones bring similar skillsets as guys who rely on separation and burst. Nelson and Finley are different. They rely on their size and hands to catch the ball in traffic and deep speed for their positions to stretch the field at times.

Nelson and Finley both have the type of potential that if it clicks right for them, Rodgers will have a couple of guys he can line up against the wrong defensive alignment on 3rd and long, throw the ball into a tight spot and these guys can keep a drive alive by catching an extremely tough ball. They also both bring a redzone skillset that we don't really have otherwise.

And then the occasional bomb becuase of their deep speed doesn't hurt either.

vince
06-24-2010, 07:03 AM
Jordy is faster than Jones if I'm not mistaken. I'd categorize Jones with Finley more than Jordy.

EDIT: They are both 4.55 guys, so I retract the speed comment. I see Nelson as more athletic and less stiff than Jones. Neither has a ton of juke, but I think Jordy's a more potent receiver.

Fritz
06-24-2010, 07:13 AM
It's summertime. Temps getting hotter here in Michigan.

Time for a king-sized pitcher of Kool-Aid!

Count me in!

vince
06-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Both guys average about 14 yds a catch, and Jones did have 5 TD catches last year vs. Nelson's 2, which I'd say is too small a sample to say a lot about. There's little to differentiate the two statistically, other than their drop rates, but that doesn't really say much about their athleticism.

I like Nelson better for this year, even though he caught fewer balls and TD's last year. Wasn't he hurt for some time last year?

Fritz
06-24-2010, 07:27 AM
On Jones's behalf I will say that he seems to have a nose for the end zone. He catches the ball and if he's got open space he seems to have an ability to get to the endzone. That's my impression.

However, he also seems to have a hard time getting open against man-to-man coverage.

Smidgeon
06-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Jordy is faster than Jones if I'm not mistaken. I'd categorize Jones with Finley more than Jordy.

EDIT: They are both 4.55 guys, so I retract the speed comment. I see Nelson as more athletic and less stiff than Jones. Neither has a ton of juke, but I think Jordy's a more potent receiver.

Someone on her posted a while back (PB? Waldo? Lurker? Patler?) in response to who the fastest person on the team was. It was said by the poster that Tramon Williams had the best short speed and Jordy Nelson had the best long speed. So while at the combine Nelson and Jones may have both posted 4.55s, it appears they don't have the same type of speed.

Me, I like them both and can see (when DD hangs them up) them both pairing to complement Jennings. Jones in the slot and Nelson along the sideline.

Fritz
06-24-2010, 09:48 AM
I agree that Jones seems suited to the slot. He doesn't do so well trying to go long down the sideline. But he's a strong dude and ought to be able to catch stuff over the middle.

vince
06-24-2010, 10:11 AM
What I should have said regarding JH's comments (a little too early in the morning) is that I agree with it all except that I wouldn't put Jones in the same category as Jennings and Driver when it comes to separation and burst. I'd put him more in the Nelson/Finley camp in that regard. Jones is a good receiver IMO, but he's not nearly as elusive as Jennings or Driver.

JH did comment on Nelson's long speed, so I was off base in interpreting his categorization of Jordy with a tight end relative to the other three guys to mean something he didn't say.

get louder at lambeau
06-24-2010, 10:28 AM
I agree that Jones seems suited to the slot. He doesn't do so well trying to go long down the sideline.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d803bc832/Can-t-Miss-Play-James-Jones-TD-catch

vince
06-24-2010, 10:38 AM
And there's this one. What a perfect throw.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d81405408/Aaron-Rodgers-74-yard-TD-Pass

vince
06-24-2010, 10:47 AM
I kind of like these too...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81574939/Nelson-51-yard-catch
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d81526528/Jordy-Nelson-Highlight-WK-15-vs-Steelers-2009
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d815a74cc/Jordy-Nelson-Highlight-WK-18-vs-Cardinals-2009

bobblehead
06-24-2010, 11:14 AM
And there's this one. What a perfect throw.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d81405408/Aaron-Rodgers-74-yard-TD-Pass

I was going to post, "tell that to champ bailey"

edit: oops, quoted the wrong post, but you get the idea

Fritz
06-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Dammit, one time I saw Jones get hung up by a corner and I'm basing my opinion on that and I'm not changing it. I don't care how many James-Jones-goes-deep videos you show!

mraynrand
06-24-2010, 12:06 PM

Someone on her posted a while back (PB? Waldo? Lurker? Patler?) in response to who the fastest person on the team was. It was said by the poster that Tramon Williams had the best short speed and Jordy Nelson had the best long speed. So while at the combine Nelson and Jones may have both posted 4.55s, it appears they don't have the same type of speed.

Me, I like them both and can see (when DD hangs them up) them both pairing to complement Jennings. Jones in the slot and Nelson along the sideline.

I seem to recall that Clay Matthews has the best 10 yard time on the team. (I realize that comparing offense to defense here is not relevant, but what distance are you talking about when you say short speed?)

get louder at lambeau
06-24-2010, 12:13 PM

I seem to recall that Clay Matthews has the best 10 yard time on the team. (I realize that comparing offense to defense here is not relevant, but what distance are you talking about when you say short speed?)

I thought Nick Collins was the fastest guy on the roster. Too busy to look it up right now though.

mraynrand
06-24-2010, 12:22 PM

I thought Nick Collins was the fastest guy on the roster. Too busy to look it up right now though.

I think you're right - with Clowney and Hawkins off the roster :lol: - but I think it still depends on distance. Collins probably has the fastest 40 time (4.34).

HarveyWallbangers
06-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Are those times on Nelson and Jones legit combine times--because I'd be shocked if Nelson wasn't faster? There are things to like about Jones, but he runs like a TE.

HarveyWallbangers
06-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Nelson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordy_Nelson

After the season, Nelson continued to improve his stock as one of the best wide receiver prospects in the 2008 NFL Draft. At the NFL Combine. Nelson showed he has speed running an official 4.47 in the 40 yd dash.

Jones

http://gnb.scout.com/2/639827.html

AGILITY TESTS
Campus: 4.59 in the 40-yard dash
Combine: 4.6 in the 40-yard dash

vince
06-24-2010, 03:31 PM
I did a quick google search and didn't even click through. I just looked for some 40 numbers. I saw Jordy was listed somewhere at 4.54 I think and Jones was 4.56.

The numbers you found correspond better with the way I see them on the field, so I'm glad to see that. Thanks. :wink:

EDIT: Nelson's campus time was a bit slower than his combine it appears. Sorry for the sloppy reporting.

Lurker64
06-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Jordy's 40-yard dash numbers are all over the place, since he suffered a knee injury in in college which he was able to play through but slowed him up a bit as such nagging injuries are apt to do.

Regardless, if you watch him play on the field his long speed is absolutely top notch, but his acceleration isn't great. Once he gets up to that fifth gear, there's not a lot of guys in the NFL that can catch him. He's not a one trick pony though, since his size, body control, and route running makes him pretty good across the middle too. He's not as tough or as savvy as Driver, but Driver's had years to perfect his craft and there aren't many receivers in the NFL that have much on Driver in terms of working the middle. Nelson may have the stickiest hands of all our receivers, and I could definitely see this being a breakout year for Jordy.

RashanGary
06-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Jones, Jennings and Driver (in his prime more than now) are guys who rely on burst and short area quickness to get separation in tight quarters than they do on having length and the body to shield defenders.

I know people hate on Jones, but he's as explosive as they come. He gets separation. Maybe he doesn't separate as much as Jennings on deep stuff, but on routes, when he needs to cut, he's much quicker and agile than Nelson or Finley.

Driver - Quick, Agile, tough, reliable
Jennings - Quick, Agile, fast, great with deep stuff
Jones - Quick, Agile, strong, more yet to be determined

Finley - Big body, great hands, more deep speed than short area quickness
Jordy - Big body, great hands, more deep speed than short area quickness

One group is shorter, quicker more agile and better in short areas (although Jennings has deep speed to go with his short area quickness). The other group has big bodies, good deep speed and relies more on their body and hands in the short area than they do burst.

I stand by how I compared them. I think it's accurate and I still think a lot of people sell James Jones talent way short. He's an explosive athlete, the kind that translates perfectly to WR.

Tarlam!
06-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Having as many pass threats as the Packers have creates great to have problems.

What I am beginning to notice as camp approaches is that the draft classes of the previous 3-4 years are maturing, albeit behind the scenes somewhat, to where they are legitimately playing with a "hey, sit up and take notice of me" quality.

I am only now beginning to fully appreciate the "build through the draft" philosophy. It's really quitze breath taking to watch the plan being executed.

Oh, and, GO JORDY!!!

packerbacker1234
06-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Not sure why anyone thinks this will be a big year for Jordy Nelson. I understand all the reasons to like him - there are almost as many reasons to like Jones as well, who is the current #3 receiver and has also had one of his best camps ever.

However, until further notice....

Jennings, Driver, and Finley are going to get a majority of the catches. Jones will come in at #5 (after the RB) as he is the current "slot" guy. Nelson will get some chances here and there, but ultimately he wont see too much of the field on offense until driver retires, and that moves Nelson to the slot.

For now, Driver is still the 2nd best "wr" on the team, even with Nelsona nd Jones skills. Driver still has the play making ability to be a #1 for some teams - just look at his highlight reel last year. Driver just knows what to do out there in almost every situation. With him gaining movement back, he should be better this year barring injury.

Problem is, Driver wants to play for another what, 5 seasons? He most likely wont do that in GB, but how long do we keep him around in GB? If he has another 70 catch, 1,000+, 8td or so year, do we really start looking to life without him, or do we look to keep DD around 2 or 3 more years until he actually hits the wall?

And if we do keep DD around, is it possible to hold onto both jones and nelson the entire time, known that doing this means they wont get a shot to be big contributors until they are what.... 27... 28?

Tarlam!
06-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Good points, 1234. One "flaw" in your thinking is the omission of the dreaded "i"-word. The Packers wide receivers have been remarkably robust the past few seasons. How long will that streak last?

HarveyWallbangers
06-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Why I think this will be a breakout year for Jordy Nelson? Because I see him as being a lot like Houston's Kevin Walter, and it took Walter four years before he became a solid starting receiver. I think Jones is agile. I don't think he is as quick as Justin thinks he is. He has strong hands and makes tough catches, but he lacks concentration and drops too many balls. He's strong, but doesn't really break tackles. I still see them as I have the last couple of years. Right now, they are relatively similar, but I think Jordy will get better in the next couple of years. I think Jones is a bit limited and he is what he is. Two years from now, I think it's more likely that Nelson will be a solid starting receiver and Jones will be a solid third receiver because of speed limitations. Not that Jordy isn't limitied in quickness, but I think his other qualities trump Jones.

RashanGary
06-24-2010, 05:51 PM
I'd call them dead even with Jones being more of a big play guy and Nelson being more consistent. I don't think Nelson will even have a better career. I think Jones is just as good, not just now, but overall talent.

Not saying I don't like Nelson though. I think both are starting caliber WR's.

bobblehead
06-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Dammit, one time I saw Jones get hung up by a corner and I'm basing my opinion on that and I'm not changing it. I don't care how many James-Jones-goes-deep videos you show!
and Aaron Kampman is an overachiever no matter how many pro bowl tackles he schools.

Bretsky
06-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Bring Back Wist

You guys are all drunk off of kool aide, very drunk

MJZiggy
06-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Wist is busy predicting the collapse of the free world in FYI. I'm sure he'll be in here eventually.

The Leaper
06-24-2010, 08:59 PM
I would agree with the notion that Jones and Nelson are about equal in terms of their talents...even though there seems to be some differences in who does what best. IMO, they are probably the best #3 and #4 WR tandem in the league...I think either guy could be a solid player as a #2 WR, although I don't think either has what it takes to be a #1.

It is a nice problem to have...and I wish our OL was good enough to allow us to get 4 or 5 receivers on the field once in awhile.

Smidgeon
06-24-2010, 11:58 PM

I think the post I'm remembering is pre-Clay. But I think you're spot on in that Clay has the best short burst. At least, I remember him having an amazing 10yrd split (I think it was 1.49--strictly from memory so likely wrong). But I don't know what Tramon's was to compare either.

Zool
06-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Nelsons straight line speed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0ANQ8bRfo

packerbacker1234
06-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Good points, 1234. One "flaw" in your thinking is the omission of the dreaded "i"-word. The Packers wide receivers have been remarkably robust the past few seasons. How long will that streak last?

It's the #'s game my friend.

for passing options AHEAD of Nelson, you have...

Jennings, Finley, Driver, Grant, and most likely still Jones, who has done nothing but show he is a good WR. Thats 5 guys who will be getting catches AHEAD of Nelson.

You tell me, where is Nelson's opportunity? Even Jones is going to have limited chances with Jennings, Driver, and Finley all on the field, plus grant for the dump off (or whoever the backup RB ends up being).

Just saying, we may be great at spreading teh ball around, but lets be realistic. He is presently the #4 WR on a team that contains a STUD pass catching TE. He will NOT be on the field much this year unless we get a major injury to someone. Facts are facts.

Lurker64
06-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Grant is not really a passing target in McCarthy's offense. He doesn't have good hands, and we hardly ever throw to running backs.

Driver, Finley, Jennings, and situationally Jones I'll grant you are ahead of Nelson, but McCarthy is going to get everything he can out of the specific skillsets of our WRs. Among other things, Nelson is far and away the best run-blocker of our WRs, and the fact that his long speed is exceptional is going to get him chances in the passing game.

We're not just going to tick down the various passing options in order, and only throw to the 4 if one of the top three aren't able to play. Different plays and different sets are going to call for different personnel.

MadScientist
06-25-2010, 04:56 PM
With all this receiving talent, AR can just break the passing record, that way there will be enough balls for everyone :lol:

(Summer, the perfect time for Kool-Aid)

SkinBasket
06-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Isn't this the part where several people tell us how much better James Jones is because he has really nice abs?

Joemailman
06-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Isn't this the part where several people tell us how much better James Jones is because he has really nice abs?

Actually, I think Jones just looks good right now because Bigby isn't there to shut him down.

Scott Campbell
06-25-2010, 10:07 PM

I know that's what I love most about Vince Young.

mraynrand
06-26-2010, 08:44 AM

I know that's what I love most about Vince Young.

There still is hope for Vince:

http://www.getmovingcatalog.com/assets/images/HipHopAbs/hiphop.jpg

Pugger
06-26-2010, 02:32 PM
[quote=SkinBasket]Isn't this the part where several people tell us how much better James Jones is because he has really nice abs?

Jones is a pretty nice looking guy actually. He has a face like catalog models do.

HarveyWallbangers
08-04-2010, 12:44 AM
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100803/PKR01/100803164

Thumbs Up

The offensive coaches have been raving about Jordy Nelson’s improvement this offseason, saying he’s playing faster, stronger and smarter. That has shown up in the third-year receiver’s play so far in training camp, most notably in Tuesday’s night practice.

With starting receiver Greg Jennings absent for what coach Mike McCarthy called personal reasons, Nelson took advantage of his additional snaps with the starters. He caught five passes in the team periods, including several tough touchdown catches in the red-zone drill.

His biggest play was on deep seam route when he caught the ball in stride against bracket coverage by linebacker Desmond Bishop and safety Morgan Burnett for a long touchdown from Aaron Rodgers.

His toughest catch came in a short-yardage, goal-line situation. On third-and-goal from the 2, Nelson had go to the ground with cornerback Tramon Williams draped all over him to scoop up a low pass from Rodgers.

Nelson didn’t drop anything thrown his way and might have taken a step ahead of James Jones in the competition for the number three receiver spot behind Jennings and Donald Driver.

Thumbs Down

Those convinced Desmond Bishop should be an every-down player should have seen Tuesday night’s practice.

Given the opportunity to play with the starters for the entire practice in base and nickel for the first time this summer, Bishop did what he often does in his few real game opportunities.

That is, he gave up too many plays.

A day after he was thrown into a new-look nickel package, he also got the base reps because Nick Barnett was resting his surgical repaired knee.

Bishop might be a powerful hitter and a decent rusher, but he once again struggled in coverage. He gave up a long catch to tight end Jermichael Finley on a seam route for a 21-yard gain in the 7-on-7 two-minute drill. In the same drill, he gave up the winning touchdown to Donald Lee on first-and-goal from the 6-yard line with 16 seconds left. He also was in coverage on Nelson’s deep seam route.

Sure, Bishop made some noise, like when he knocked off Finley’s helmet after the tight end made a short catch in the flat but for every big play he makes, he seems to give up one, too.

Maybe that’s why in his first three seasons, he never received any consistent playing time.

Tony Oday
08-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Go Jordy!!!

BobDobbs
08-04-2010, 02:27 AM
This might be the year that Jordy takes a big jump. Realistically, he's not going to pass Driver, and of course, Finley is going to be the first option his fair share of the time this year.

Obviously, anytime our team's depth improves that's a bonus, because Football is a violent sport. But, I think the biggest bonus may be in our short yardage sets. McCarthy likes to bring Jones and Nelson in because they are so much bigger than our top two WRs. If those guys can be more dangerous as pass catchers that gives us a lot more options, and that personnel package doesn't totally telegraph the run.

Tony Oday
08-04-2010, 02:50 AM
This could be the year that someone suplants DD, not totally but partially. a 50 catch season for Jordy is not out of the question...of course 90 for Finley isnt either ;)

Brandon494
08-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Its really hard for me to decide if I like Nelson or Jones better as the #3. I guess that is a good problem to have though.

Tony Oday
08-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Its really hard for me to decide if I like Nelson or Jones better as the #3. I guess that is a good problem to have though.

Agreed! I am sour on JJ for one game...but they both could be damn good.

Packers4Ever
08-04-2010, 02:37 PM
It's summertime. Temps getting hotter here in Michigan.

Time for a king-sized pitcher of Kool-Aid!

Count me in!

Make that TWO ! 8-)

Freak Out
08-04-2010, 05:21 PM
This could be the year that someone suplants DD, not totally but partially. a 50 catch season for Jordy is not out of the question...of course 90 for Finley isnt either ;)

Drivers knees may make it happen sooner than we like.

HarveyWallbangers
11-08-2011, 01:33 AM
Why I think this will be a breakout year for Jordy Nelson? Because I see him as being a lot like Houston's Kevin Walter, and it took Walter four years before he became a solid starting receiver. I think Jones is agile. I don't think he is as quick as Justin thinks he is. He has strong hands and makes tough catches, but he lacks concentration and drops too many balls. He's strong, but doesn't really break tackles. I still see them as I have the last couple of years. Right now, they are relatively similar, but I think Jordy will get better in the next couple of years. I think Jones is a bit limited and he is what he is. Two years from now, I think it's more likely that Nelson will be a solid starting receiver and Jones will be a solid third receiver because of speed limitations. Not that Jordy isn't limitied in quickness, but I think his other qualities trump Jones.

This. :)

Upnorth
11-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Do you really think Jones has speed issues? I dont see that as limiting his game, but rather consistency.

gbgary
11-08-2011, 09:09 AM
jordy's still on the up...and watch out for cobb.

pbmax
11-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Do you really think Jones has speed issues? I dont see that as limiting his game, but rather consistency.

Neither Jordy nor James are lightning quick in their first steps or with their cuts in routes, not like Jennings or Driver. But Nelson has a top gear that few are going to match (see Rams game or Talib video from his Kansas St. days). Whether that limits Jones or not I can't say for sure, as he still seems to get behind a lot of CBs.

Cheesehead Craig
11-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Neither Jordy nor James are lightning quick in their first steps or with their cuts in routes, not like Jennings or Driver. But Nelson has a top gear that few are going to match (see Rams game or Talib video from his Kansas St. days). Whether that limits Jones or not I can't say for sure, as he still seems to get behind a lot of CBs.

I see Jones as more of a runner that's slower from the start but just gets faster and faster. It's more of a gradual increase vs an explosion of that top gear that just wows you.