PDA

View Full Version : More impressive out of college Murphy or Jennings

Lynx4Ben
08-02-2006, 05:45 PM
I was very high on murphy until the injury. Although we haven't seen much of Jennings does anyone have an opinion?

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 05:51 PM
I can't say until I see Jennings. I think Murphy could have ended up having a nice Nate Burleson like career. He was pretty fast, decent size, good hands, good route running in the games I watched him in college and the pros. Too bad! Actually, I think they seem quite similar. Murphy was an inch taller and Jennings seems a bit stronger. Welcome to the board!

the_idle_threat
08-02-2006, 06:06 PM
I was high on Murphy ... now I'm high on life!

RashanGary
08-02-2006, 09:14 PM
I never really liked Murphy. I think he had #3 WR or marginal #2 written all over him based on the games I saw him play. I love Greg Jennings though. I don't think those two are comparable. Jennings is much better IMHO.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 09:16 PM
nah, Murphy looked just as good as JEnnings. He was more of a Sterling Sharpe type player. Jennings is a quick athlete like Driver.

RashanGary
08-02-2006, 09:19 PM
I didn't like Murphy. I don't think I posted one post about him while he was here. I just thought he was unspectacular.

SD GB fan
08-02-2006, 09:34 PM
i sured the same feeling that murphy was unspectatular..of course that was when we had walker, driver, and ferguson ahead of him. i didnt follow murphy closely either. i just knew that chatman caught more passes than him and especially on third downs.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Greg Jennings - 5'11" 192; 4.42 40; 36 1/2 vertical; 18 wonderlic

Terrence Murphy - 6'0" 202; 4.41 40; 40 1/2 vertical; 18 wonderlic

Their measurables are eerily similar. It's hard for me to say Jennings is better when I haven't seen him, and Murphy got damn near the same exact publicity last year.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 09:39 PM
i sured the same feeling that murphy was unspectatular..of course that was when we had walker, driver, and ferguson ahead of him. i didnt follow murphy closely either. i just knew that chatman caught more passes than him and especially on third downs.

The guy only played 3 games last year as a rookie before getting his career ending injury, so other guys were bound to catch more balls.

Patler
08-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Greg Jennings - 5'11" 192; 4.42 40; 36 1/2 vertical; 18 wonderlic

Terrence Murphy - 6'0" 202; 4.41 40; 40 1/2 vertical; 18 wonderlic

Their measurables are eerily similar. It's hard for me to say Jennings is better when I haven't seen him, and Murphy got damn near the same exact publicity last year.

Your right, Harvey, the publicity has been similar. We were lead to believe that Murphy had an uncommon understanding and feel for the offense, for being a rookie. Now, we are being lead to believe similar qualities exist in Jennings. We are either being fed a line, or TT and the staff have done a good job finding players who understand the game. I'm hoping for the latter!

RashanGary
08-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Someone needs to get Murph's stats. After Walker went down in the 1st game, Murph had the same chance Jennings does now. I don't think Murph had more than a catch a game.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 10:10 PM
He had 5 catches in 3 games (2 vs. Detroit and 3 vs. Carolina before he was injured), but he was a rookie and backup player, so those stats aren't bad. Pretty small sample size to go by anyways.

Patler
08-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Someone needs to get Murph's stats. After Walker went down in the 1st game, Murph had the same chance Jennings does now. I don't think Murph had more than a catch a game.

If you remember, Murphy had a hamstring problem or something coming out of the preseason. He didn't play much in preseason because of it. He actually had two injuries in camp that sidelined him for most of it. He said he was frustrated because he had never been injured before.

He was inactive the first game because he still couldn't play.

He was active the second and third weeks, but was being eased into action and was not expected to play much. He had 3 receptions in week 2, and returned two kickoffs for 54 yards in week 3.

Before week four they made kind of a big deal about him being ready to take on more responsibility, and I believe he was designated the #3 receiver for that game. He had 2 receptions and Favre had looked for him more. Unfortunately, that was the game in which he suffered the neck injury. He was on IR already by week 5. He never really had a chance to show anything.

Bretsky
08-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Gosh Somewhere it posts the Grades for each college player coming out of the draft.

I think TT thought VERY highly of Murphy and was surprised to pick him up there. We traded down figuring we coud grab Jennings. I think there are very similar and would not be at all surprised of Murphy was graded slightly higher than Jennings.

the_idle_threat
08-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Looking at training camp pictures of Jennings, I can see how he was mistaken for Driver (by M3 if I recall correctly) in an OTA practice. He is in great shape---very cut---just like Driver. If he has even half as much heart as Driver, we will have a good player on our hands.

Willard
08-02-2006, 10:49 PM
I always liked Mark Murphy. Bald is beautiful!

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Terrence Murphy had solid creditials coming out of College and what was especially attractive from my perspective, was his rep. for being a leader.

Greg Jennings, is straight up - your athletic type WR with an impressive College resume even though he comes from a school that isn't high in the National rankings.

Jennings goes about his work on a matter of fact basis, and he seems to be adapting to the NFL without a bump. After Donald Driver, has there been a more consistent WR in all OUR practises this Off Season?

You answer that.

Terrence Murphy never gained this status last year in the Off Season. It's not hype or anything imaginary. Brett Favre is thrilled with Greg Jennings.

In my mind,at comparable points in their prospective NFL
futures, Greg Jennings today, is ahead of where Terrence Murphy was last year.

Not to take one thing away from Terrence Murphy. I believe he had it to develop, but Greg Jennings simply has it. He's a find for us.

GO PACKERS !

RashanGary
08-02-2006, 11:10 PM
I go to practices. I focus almost entirely on the rookies. Collins stood out to me last year, Murphy did not. Jennings stands out to me this year. Murphy just seemed like one of the crowd. Kind of like Cory Rodgers but better hands. Now maybe Sherman played a part in that becuae he always showcased Ferguson and McCarthy is fair, I don't know but Murph never gave me a warm fuzzy. I just thought he was OK. Collins/Jennings gave me a warm fuzzy and I've been praising both long before the media gave any positive marks. I spent hours watching their games and had other NFL palyers in front of me to compare them to. It's not easy to judge if it was in a vacuum, but you can compare them to the other players who are doing the same things adn I knew both were special in relation to what they were competing against *NFL players*. Murph was just a guy IMO. Yes, he was an NFL guy, but I think Jennings is special. We'll never know, so it's just blabber, but Jennings should blow the top off of 5 catches in 3 games. I think he's the #2 already. Murphy never passed the vets and Wlaker went down in week 1.

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 11:30 PM
I go to practices. I focus almost entirely on the rookies. Collins stood out to me last year, Murphy did not. Jennings stands out to me this year. Murphy just seemed like one of the crowd. Kind of like Cory Rodgers but better hands. Now maybe Sherman played a part in that becuae he always showcased Ferguson and McCarthy is fair, I don't know but Murph never gave me a warm fuzzy. I just thought he was OK. Collins/Jennings gave me a warm fuzzy and I've been praising both long before the media gave any positive marks. I spent hours watching their games and had other NFL palyers in front of me to compare them to. It's not easy to judge if it was in a vacuum, but you can compare them to the other players who are doing the same things adn I knew both were special in relation to what they were competing against *NFL players*. Murph was just a guy IMO. Yes, he was an NFL guy, but I think Jennings is special. We'll never know, so it's just blabber, but Jennings should blow the top off of 5 catches in 3 games. I think he's the #2 already. Murphy never passed the vets and Wlaker went down in week 1.

Yes! Greg Jennings like Terrence Murphy had a shot with us. Both had very decent College resume's. Normally, you hope that a Rookie WR may produce numbers in season three, unless he is extremely gifted.

WR Greg Jennings is ahead of that normal curve, now by all the reports. We are fortunate to have him from what I'm getting (not even seeing - as you are so fortunate to do GregJennings).

For me to compare Terrence Murphy to Greg Jennings isn't something I felt I'd ever have to do, given Terrence Murphy's bad fortune.

Straight up. I see Jennings as a better WR, than what I knew of Terrence Murphy and I stand on shaky ground.

GO PACKERS !

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2006, 12:04 AM
I got news for you Jennings wouldn't have passed Driver and Walker last year, and he may not yet pass the likes of Gardner and Ferguson this year. I'm sorry for doubting a professional scout. I've been to those camps before with my notebook, and I know it's fun, and I know you are doing your best--but if you are insinuating that you've been right most of the time, then I got posts on JSO to bring back up. BTW, weren't you the guy who said Hawkins looked unbelievable and were predicting great things from him out of the gate? Murphy indeed had a ton of pub last year. Like this:

Murphy catches on quickly
Rookie receiver impresses Green Bay's coaches
By RICK BRAUN

Green Bay - Playing in an option offense in college, receivers do not generally get to be showcased. So when a receiver from an option offense goes as high as the second round, it's a pretty safe bet he has some impressive - as the scouts like to say - "measurables."

And when he says that despite going in the second round he feels he was underrated, that's a pretty good indication that he has - again, as scouts might say - "immeasurables." Chief among immeasurables would be confidence.

The Packers believe they've got such a player in second-round pick Terrence Murphy, a receiver out of Texas A&M.

Murphy made some impressions on the practice field in the minicamp that finished up last week, making numerous catches in traffic and showing good and quick hands away from his body to corral some quick slant passes.

"I'm coming along," Murphy said last Monday. "Today was a good day. I had some nice catches and I'm just trying my best to be the best receiver I can be. I feel like I was underrated and I'm glad Green Bay gave me the chance to come here and play."

When Murphy's name was called by the Packers at No. 58 overall, a lot of eyebrows raised. Yes, Murphy had a solid second-round grade, but wide receiver did not appear to be one of the Packers' more pressing needs.

Even though he was rated in the second round by pre-draft publications, Murphy seems determined to prove he should have gone higher.

"It's just little things that I know that I can do that were overlooked," he said. "But apparently Green Bay saw it and they drafted me in the second round. So it's a blessing to be here."

New Packer receivers coach James Franklin would agree that Murphy donning the Green and Gold is a blessing.

"The biggest thing that stands out to me is he's got an unbelievable attitude," Franklin said. "He's one of the few guys that you'll be around that wants to be a great player on the field, wants to be a great player in the weight room, wants to be a great player in the meetings. He'll do all the things to work to be good. That's not very common. He's got great hands, a great work ethic. I think he's got a chance to be pretty good, and obviously he's got some impressive tools."

With Javon Walker AWOL from minicamp in a Drew Rosenhaus-induced holdout and sixth-round pick Craig Bragg out because of a pulled hamstring, Murphy got plenty of chances to show his tools.

"Walk and Bragg, that's their cases," Murphy said. "I can only be me and worry about what I have to do. If they're here, I'm going to keep playing. If they're not, I'm going to keep playing. Whatever they have to do, that's their personal business. I just want to go out and get better."

The last time the Packers took a Texas A&M receiver also came in the second round when they tabbed Robert Ferguson in 2001. Ferguson has turned into a solid player, but it took a full two seasons before he emerged.

One major difference is that Ferguson played just one season at A&M after junior college and then left early. Murphy, on the other hand, played the full four years with the Aggies.

Ferguson fell further and further behind in his first season with Green Bay, but Murphy has already impressed Packer coach Mike Sherman.

"He's made some plays out here and is ahead of where I thought he would be," Sherman said.

That being the case, Murphy appears ready to contribute a bit more quickly than Ferguson did. Still, he does admit that learning the Packers' West Coast offense is a bit trying.

"Yeah, it's complicated," Murphy said. "Because I never ran the West Coast offense, I just ran the option with a few basic routes. I've got a lot to learn, but I'm learning from the older guys. Donald Driver and all those guys are helping me out."

Franklin seems confident Murphy will learn the offense quickly enough.

"He's an intelligent kid, a coach's kid, so I'm not concerned about that," Franklin said. "He's picking up the offense well and he's doing a great job."

Even more encouraging for the Packers is that Murphy said he'd be sticking around in Green Bay to further school himself in the Packers' ways.

"I'll be here for about another month," he said. "I'm going to come in here and work out on my own because I think my work ethic is second to none."

When the Packers drafted Murphy, they talked about him also being a candidate to return punts. If he can win that job over incumbent Antonio Chatman, he'd likely also be the No. 4 receiver.

"He definitely is a potential return man," Sherman said. "There are a couple of guys vying for that spot and I'm pleased with that. But still, until they're in the game and someone's coming down the field to take your head off, it's really not a true evaluation until you get into those pre-season games. Buffalo will give us some of that, so we'll see how they look then."

Murphy returned just one punt in his four years at A&M but he has no worries about inexperience.

"I've just got to be me," he said. "If they want me to be a punt returner, I'll do it. If not, I'll do whatever I can do to help the team win."

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Here's another:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/?id=343348

Coach Mike Sherman denied on draft day that Murphy was a leverage pick against a holdout by Walker. Maybe so, but if Murphy develops faster at a position that has been notoriously difficult for rookies to master, the Packers will have options galore.

Size and speed are pluses for Murphy, but what might help him most in '05 is a mature approach.

"He came in and was a big surprise," Franklin said. "We expected him to be good, don't get me wrong. But this kid is very smart and has a great work ethic. Those two things will put the kid in position to contribute."

Patler
08-03-2006, 12:05 AM

You didn't have an opportunity to develope an opinion about Murphy last year. None of the public did. For the most part he was withheld from training camp because of injuries.

Early in camp, others saw him differently than you apparently did:

Crystal's blog, Friday 7/29:
"Wide receiver Terrence Murphy, one of the Packers’ two second-round draft choices, picked up where he left off in the second mini-camp. On the first day of full squad, twice-a-day workouts, he popped out in both practices for making a batch of catches. He looked smooth in and out of his cuts, held onto the ball and suggested that he’ll push for playing time as a rookie. “He’s pretty polished in terms of fundamentals,” said James Franklin, the Packers’ wide receiver coach. Murphy also appears to be deceptively fast."

Three days later, on August 2 in the morning practice, Murphy sustained a hip-flexor injury, and was withheld from practices until August 14. Three days later he sprained an MCL on August 17 and did not return to practice until after the start of the season. He did not play in a preseason game. He was inactive for week 1 because of the MCL sprain and the minimal practice time he had had.

Rosseley Liked him:

"During training camp, offensive coordinator Tom Rossley said Murphy had strong hands, a good change of direction and was a good runner after the catch. When he did practice, he didn't leave an imprint on the coaches' minds with one flashy play. It was his general consistency and reliability that they liked.

"There are a lot of guys that are willing to put the time in the weight room," said Green Bay wide receivers assistant coach James Franklin. "There are a lot of guys trying to be the hardest working guy on the practice field. There are a lot of guys who will spend time in the playbook learning the plays.

"It's not very often you find a guy who is willing to do all three of those things. He's that type of guy. He truly wants to be great and he's willing to sacrifice for it."

RashanGary
08-03-2006, 12:28 AM
Jennings has been by far the star of training camp, leading all receivers in catches during 11-on-11 drills with 10 and continually running routes like a 10-year veteran. The second-round pick from Western Michigan has picked up the West Coast offense faster than any rookie receiver the Packers have had since Antonio Freeman.

"He's precise on what he does," said receivers coach Jimmy Robinson, who has been coaching in the NFL since 1990, including a stop with the Indianapolis Colts. "He understands what he's doing. Marvin Harrison was a guy that came out and understood what was going on right away. He was a starter from the very beginning. Other than that I can't really think of too many rookies that have come in and understood things as quickly as he has."

On a broiling July afternoon the searing summer sun scorched everything it touched at Clarke Hinkle Field. The mercury screamed into the 90s, but the kid wearing No. 85 was coolly, calmly collecting passes with impressive regularity for the Green Bay Packers.

He looked like a polished professional, a seasoned veteran. Maybe even an All-Pro. But Greg Jennings is just a rookie. You know that only because the roster says so, or maybe you were paying attention on draft day in April when the Packers nabbed him in the second round out of Western Michigan.

But nothing about his game says, "rookie."

Watching Jennings shed cornerbacks like Charles Woodson at the line, break off crisp, precise pass routes, grab the pass and streak through the secondary, you are left wondering if your definition of a rookie needs an overhaul

"I trust that he's going to be a special wideout, he's going to have a great career in the National Football League. Right now, he's showing it," veteran Donald Driver said.

Forgive me if I don't go gaga over those snips Patler. You obviouly thought Murphy was comparable to Jennings. I do not. We'll never know because Murphy's career was cut short. If you want to go on clips though, I think we have a pretty clear idea of who was getting more hype :). I'm just using my judgement so take it for what it's worth, jsut another know it all fan :)

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2006, 12:30 AM
I have to know though... were you the guy comparing Hawkins to Neon Deion?

RashanGary
08-03-2006, 12:42 AM
I'll go dig up my stuff, but I gaurantee you I said "physically he was comparable"

the_idle_threat
08-03-2006, 12:44 AM
Nawww ...

He was comparing Hawkins to Leon ... you know, from the Bud Lite commercials?

(Go with me on this one, kid :wink: )

Bretsky
08-03-2006, 12:47 AM
I'm not sure Patler was arguing they were comparable; I think he was showing you evidence that you didn't have time to accurately assess T Murphy to make the comparison based off watching practices and also show Murphy was pretty well liked by the coaches as Jennings is.

Coming out of college these guys would have been rated very very close.

RashanGary
08-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Uh oh...I did say that. He was impressive in camp. I've learned alot over the last year. Just being here and listenting to other opinions and getting a better feel for football. I dont' think I would make such statements now. That was one of my first posts ever. OUCH!! :)

RashanGary
08-03-2006, 12:50 AM
I'll never live that down :)

RashanGary
08-03-2006, 12:52 AM
CC said some things there too. Hawkins looked freaky athletic. He still is, he just can't play football :)

Patler
08-03-2006, 12:53 AM
Forgive me if I don't go gaga over those snips Patler. You obviouly thought Murphy was comparable to Jennings. I do not. We'll never know because Murphy's career was cut short. If you want to go on clips though, I think we have a pretty clear idea of who was getting more hype :). I'm just using my judgement so take it for what it's worth, jsut another know it all fan :)

I think it is clear that two different coaching staffs have been equally impressed by two different players. There wasn't as much about Murphy, because except for a few days, he missed most of training camp. You won't find much written about the players in the training room.

Both have been praised as being "ahead of most rookies"

Patler
08-03-2006, 12:57 AM
I wonder if Jennings would have been drafted if Murphy was still around? The two might have gone a long way to rebuilding the roster at WR.

Bretsky
08-03-2006, 12:59 AM
If Chambers would have been drafted in 91 then we'd have never drafted Walker, he'd have never left, and we probably wouldn't have bothered with Murhpy either :wink: :wink:

RashanGary
08-03-2006, 01:00 AM
Clearly they were praised for similar things. They were not, however, praised at a similar level. Big difference.

the_idle_threat
08-03-2006, 01:01 AM
If Chambers would have been drafted in 91 then we'd have never drafted Walker, he'd have never left, and we probably wouldn't have bothered with Murhpy either :wink: :wink:

If we had drafted Chambers in '91, he would have had to spend about 10 years on the practice squad ... :razz:

Patler
08-03-2006, 01:04 AM
Clearly they were praised for similar things. They were not, however, praised at a similar level. Big difference.

Yes, I think they were.

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 01:05 AM
I wonder if Jennings would have been drafted if Murphy was still around? The two might have gone a long way to rebuilding the roster at WR.

Essentially Murphy was added to Walker,Driver,Ferguson (Chatman left in FAcy) and hypothetically if Murphy would have had good luck and as it happened Javon Walker departed. . .

Then you draft or trade to replace Walker (Jennings) and you have Driver ,Ferguson Murphy,Jennings . . .and a par. . tridge in a pear. . .tree.

Bretsky
08-03-2006, 01:05 AM

Murphy didn't have the same opportunity due to injury so there is no way to compare apples to apples here.

Patler
08-03-2006, 01:06 AM

If we had drafted Chambers in '91, he would have had to spend about 10 years on the practice squad ... :razz:

A 12 year old on the Packers! He would be a GOD in Junior High School. :D

RashanGary
08-03-2006, 01:07 AM
“He’s pretty polished in terms of fundamentals,” Franklin on Murphy

"During training camp, offensive coordinator Tom Rossley said Murphy had strong hands, a good change of direction and was a good runner after the catch. When he did practice, he didn't leave an imprint on the coaches' minds with one flashy play. It was his general consistency and reliability that they liked.

"He's precise on what he does," said receivers coach Jimmy Robinson, who has been coaching in the NFL since 1990, including a stop with the Indianapolis Colts. "He understands what he's doing. Marvin Harrison was a guy that came out and understood what was going on right away. He was a starter from the very beginning. Other than that I can't really think of too many rookies that have come in and understood things as quickly as he has."

Jennings has been by far the star of training camp, leading all receivers in catches during 11-on-11 drills with 10 and continually running routes like a 10-year veteran. The second-round pick from Western Michigan has picked up the West Coast offense faster than any rookie receiver the Packers have had since Antonio Freeman.

Not being flashy but being consistant and pretty polished on fundementals is much different that comparing his understanding and knack for football to Marvin Harrison and leading all WR's in receptions and being called by a reporter the star of the camp. Clearly the level of praise is much different although I will give you the credit that it was for similar things.

Bretsky
08-03-2006, 01:09 AM

A 12 year old on the Packers! He would be a GOD in Junior High School. :D

Ah, you sh@theads know I meant 2001 ! That's what I get for trying to make sense at 1:00 in the morn.

Have a good night all; gotta get some snooze so I can do some home loans tomorrow for the Packer Bank !!

Make it a great day !!! (that's my schmoozy sales departure greeting)

Bretsky

RashanGary
08-03-2006, 01:15 AM
I'm a bit of an exaggerator Patler. You have a point, I just didn't really like Murph. It probably had something to do with the injuries too. He didn't have Jennings praise, but I got the point. We didn't get to see enough of Murph to form opinions.

Patler
08-03-2006, 01:30 AM
I'm a bit of an exaggerator Patler. You have a point, I just didn't really like Murph. It probably had something to do with the injuries too. He didn't have Jennings praise, but I got the point. We didn't get to see enough of Murph to form opinions.

I did not in any way try to attach all the accolades Murphy received through out the summer. In one article one of the coaches compared his dedication to conditioning to Walker. The compared his game understanding to that of experienced veterans. After reading about both, I think the articles are virtually the same, just different names for the coaches and players.

The only difference I have seen is that there are some minor concerns about Jennings size, speed and "vert". Murphy was a bit bigger, a bit faster and an exceptional leaper.

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 01:33 AM

I did not in any way try to attach all the accolades Murphy received through out the summer. In one article one of the coaches compared his dedication to conditioning to Walker. The compared his game understanding to that of experienced veterans. After reading about both, I think the articles are virtually the same, just different names for the coaches and players.

The only difference I have seen is that there are some minor concerns about Jennings size, speed and "vert". Murphy was a bit bigger, a bit faster and an exceptional leaper.

A real shame we lost Terrence Murphy. Leadership!!

RashanGary
08-03-2006, 01:36 AM
Where do you find those archives?

RashanGary
08-03-2006, 01:43 AM
I just read the artical. It wasn't as high of praise, but it was similar. You did manage to get the most helpfull clips for your arguement so it's not like you convienently left out important clips that may have solidified yoru stance.

Based on that artical adn the recent ones about Jennings, there is clearly not an equal amount of praise.

Murphy was a hard worker according to his coaches, he probably would have been a good NFL player.

Patler
08-03-2006, 02:08 AM
I just read the artical. It wasn't as high of praise, but it was similar. You did manage to get the most helpfull clips for your arguement so it's not like you convienently left out important clips that may have solidified yoru stance.

Based on that artical adn the recent ones about Jennings, there is clearly not an equal amount of praise.

Murphy was a hard worker according to his coaches, he probably would have been a good NFL player.

You don't seem to want to believe there were a lot more articles than just the one. I grabbed a few important paragraphs out of one and left it at that. There were other articles after the minicamps, etc and one at about roster cutdown that referred to his polish and understand as a receiver. His knowledge and his skills. There were many that said if he had not been injured Ferguson would likely have been traded, so in a way Murphy did "beat out" Ferguson.

RashanGary
08-03-2006, 02:10 AM
Receiver Terrence Murphy (second round), cornerback Mike Hawkins (fifth) and end Mike Montgomery (sixth) have played well enough to get into games this season, but their impact might be minimal. Linebacker / end Brady Poppinga (fourth), guard Junius Coston (fifth) and receiver Craig Bragg (sixth) are fighting for roster spots.

Aug 18th.

Patler
08-03-2006, 02:17 AM
Receiver Terrence Murphy (second round), cornerback Mike Hawkins (fifth) and end Mike Montgomery (sixth) have played well enough to get into games this season, but their impact might be minimal. Linebacker / end Brady Poppinga (fourth), guard Junius Coston (fifth) and receiver Craig Bragg (sixth) are fighting for roster spots.

Aug 18th.

That's because he was INJURED! Nobody knew on August 18th what impact he would have.

Patler
08-03-2006, 02:18 AM
"His injury may have had a domino effect on the rest of the roster. At the time, there were rumors that Philadelphia was interested in Packers receiver Robert Ferguson, but with Murphy's injury, the Packers' depth at wide receiver was compromised. No deals were made."

September 13

Scott Campbell
08-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Rookie receiver making an impression with his play, grasp of West Coast offense
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Aug. 2, 2006

Green Bay - Every time the Green Bay Packers coaching staff sees receiver Greg Jennings make another outstanding play, they have to temper their enthusiasm.

"I cant really think of too many rookies that have come in and understood things as quickly as he has," - Jimmy Robinson, Green Bay Packers receivers coach on Greg Jennings, above.

He is, after all, just a rookie, and rookies don't make an impact at receiver in the National Football League.

So when Jennings made one of the biggest plays of the first six days of training camp - a 57-yard reception from quarterback Brett Favre on the first play of a highly competitive 2-minute drill - he had to hear in meetings the next day that he could have run his route down the sideline a little better.

"The coaching point was I needed to work him (the cornerback) a little bit and then release on him instead of running straight outside," Jennings said. "I should have given him more (of a move) at the top of the route. (There's) always room to improve."

Unlike the high draft picks behind him - Terrence Murphy, Javon Walker and Robert Ferguson - Jennings hasn't been limited to just one receiver spot. He can play all three (split end, flanker and slot), which greatly enhances his opportunity to get on the field.

The others were given one assignment (the split end position) and told not to worry about the others. Jennings can line up anywhere and when he runs routes, they're almost as pretty as Donald Driver's.

Jennings' long reception Tuesday night was one of several impressive plays the 5-11, 198-pound rookie has made in camp. Most of his plays occur when he catches the ball over the middle and accelerates upfield and away from defenders.

He displayed his route-running ability in a one-on-one drill Wednesday afternoon when he broke down the field and delivered a hard fake outside and a seamless break back to the inside, leaving cornerback Therrian Fontenot in his dust.

Jennings credits his quick study of the offense as the reason he runs such good routes at this stage of his career. He said from the minute he walked onto the Western Michigan campus, understanding offenses was easy for him and it was no different in Green Bay where he's running a similar scheme to the one at Western.

"It was a blessing, going to Western," said Jennings, who was snubbed by Michigan in the recruiting process. "Being put in a position where I was able to jump in right away but having a lot thrown at me right away, it forced me to learn quicker and to be sharp about things.

"It was almost like, it came too easy. And I think that's the biggest thing. If you're comfortable out there, it'll show. I try to be comfortable and react to what the defense gives me or they show me and not think about, 'OK, what do I have?' That helps out a lot."

Jennings was the fourth receiver taken in a draft class considered very weak. His small-school background might have been the reason he was selected after Ohio State's Santonio Holmes, Florida's Chad Jackson and Miami's Sinorice Moss, especially considering he became only the 11th player in NCAA Division I history to top the 1,000-yard receiving mark three times.

Despite his glowing numbers last year (98 receptions for 1,259 yards and 14 touchdowns), some scouts had doubts about his size, ability to be effective deep down the field and lack of experience playing big-time football. Most of his receptions at Western were of the short catch-and-run variety and his ability to withstand a pounding was questioned.

"I haven't taken too many hits," he said in defense of that criticism. "I never took that many hits in college. When you have football awareness, you always avoid the big hit, for the most part."

Jennings has yet to get hit on the professional level, which is one reason the Packers are waiting before they start doing back flips over his training camp performance. His first taste will be in the scrimmage Saturday night at Lambeau Field and it will continue with four exhibition games in which a bunch of hungry wannabes will be looking to take his head off.

Then comes the regular season and the guys who don't fool around.

"We've got games coming up and I'm sure he'll get a lot of work and we'll see how he reacts to that," Robinson said. "You don't know if that will change all of a sudden, if he gets game-day jitters or what. We're trying not to be too overly excited. Nobody's trying to put any pressure on him except keep trying to get better every day. That's the charge he has from us. He's responded well to it."

Jennings said the player he has watched the closest in recent years is Carolina's Steve Smith, who exploded onto the scene last year with an almost impossible to defend catch-and-run style. Smith is much more powerful than Jennings, but the rookie sees similarity in their games and hopes he can replicate some of Smith's ability.

"That's how I am," he said. "You'll soon see it. I catch the ball and I try to get every single inch I can get. There are times where you need to go down. (But) I'm not going to be one to catch the ball and just be satisfied with just catching the ball. I want to score.

"That's the object of the game, to get in the end zone on offense, and that's what I'm going to do. That's what I set out to accomplish every time I run a route. I'm going to score."

run pMc
08-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Is this a mental masturbation thread? No offense intended.

It just seems like we're talking about two awfully small bodies of actual NFL production to compare -- esp. since Jennings is a rookie.
If that's the comparison, let's give the kid a couple of games where the bullets are live and then give this thread a bump.

And here's hoping the kid stays healthy.

That aside, if we're talking about college production, Murphy's was decent, but I think Jennings had better numbers. Granted, it's the Big 12 vs. MAC competition, but I thought at W.Mich he was a go-to guy that defenses had to plan for. With that in mind, I'd give a slight nod to Jennings...but I reserve the right to change my mind LOL.

My 2 cents.

4and12to12and4
08-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Looking at training camp pictures of Jennings, I can see how he was mistaken for Driver (by M3 if I recall correctly) in an OTA practice. He is in great shape---very cut---just like Driver. If he has even half as much heart as Driver, we will have a good player on our hands.

I have to disagree with this statement because a player's physique has little to do with his ability to adjust his routes and fight for and hold on to a ball.

See: Fergy and Beach

4and12to12and4
08-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Great article Scott, I like that he looks at every play as an opportunity to score. I know talk is cheap, but this guy sounds like he has a good feel for the game and the quickness to carry it out. It would be nice to again have a receiver that can juke the socks off of a defender. In the WCO, that is huge. That would take a lot of pressure off of Driver and Co.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2006, 11:20 AM
That aside, if we're talking about college production, Murphy's was decent, but I think Jennings had better numbers. Granted, it's the Big 12 vs. MAC competition, but I thought at W.Mich he was a go-to guy that defenses had to plan for. With that in mind, I'd give a slight nod to Jennings...but I reserve the right to change my mind LOL.

My 2 cents.

Troy Walters was extremely productive in college also--at a small college, so was LeShon Johnson. I like Jennings, but I also liked Murphy. I'm just saying that the same articles you see about Jennings are the same articles you saw about Murphy last year. And Hawkins.

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Scott Campbell - lays on the pin!

Nice find Scott. Thanks. :mrgreen:

Greg Jennings, is flat out, showing us why T2 drafted him. I will not take anything away from the development we saw, and the promise that we lost in Terrence Murphy; but once the season rolls around, Greg Jennings will play a prominant role in OUR sucess on "O". I see that will be.

We all felt the pain when Murphy went down. That was a brutal blow for OUR team and the man,Terrence Murphy. This fine young man was a potential character guy /leader for " the Packer's future ".

GO PACKERS !

the_idle_threat
08-03-2006, 03:18 PM

I have to disagree with this statement because a player's physique has little to do with his ability to adjust his routes and fight for and hold on to a ball.

See: Fergy and Beach

:neutral:

I suppose this wasn't very clear ... I wasn't saying that Jennings looks like the same kind of player as Driver just because he's in shape. I was saying Jennings physically resembles Driver. I saw several TC photos where I thought I was looking at Driver and then read the caption and it was Jennings.

The "heart" comment was a hyperbolic compliment to Driver and kind of a backhand at guys like Ferguson. Driver is a great example that heart is the difference between guys that can play and those who can't. We hear all the time that Driver is not the physical prototype for an NFL receiver ... but he has the heart to compete for the ball and get the job done. Ferguson lacks that quality, and so all the physical talent in the world won't make him a star receiver.

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 04:18 PM
"That's how I am," he said. "You'll soon see it. I catch the ball and I try to get every single inch I can get. There are times where you need to go down. (But) I'm not going to be one to catch the ball and just be satisfied with just catching the ball. I want to score."

"That's the object of the game, to get in the end zone on offense, and that's what I'm going to do. That's what I set out to accomplish every time I run a route. I'm going to score." Greg Jennings

Fr: the article posted this thread by Scott Campbell.

Bretsky
08-03-2006, 08:05 PM
John Clayton was in GB today and I listened to him on ESPN radio. He thinks GB will start Jennings right off the bat because no other WR is stepping it up.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2006, 10:43 PM
And John Clayton is regurgitating stories from the same sources that the likes of McGinn, Christl, Havel, Silverstein, etc. are using. I don't mind Clayton, but I seriously don't care what most of the national writers think. Clayton came to camp for one day. That's nice, but he's not a scout and he'll be gone in a day. I bet McGinn and Christl have more reliable sources on the team than any national writer has. I bet they have a better pulse on the team. And they ain't homers.

BTW, this has nothing to do with Jennings. Just ranting about another national writer. I can respect a guy that researches and spends the time to really get to know the team, but most don't. Clayton is actually one of the better ones. Loads better than Salisbury.