PDA

View Full Version : Packer Website

ThunderDan
06-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Just noticed this posted on the Packers website:

"The current Collective Bargaining Agreement, initially negotiated in 1993, has been extended on several occasions, most recently in March 2006.

NFL clubs voted unanimously in May 2008 not to extend the agreement beyond the 2010 season because their costs were rising faster than their revenues. The clubs are committed to negotiating a new agreement, for the 2011 season and beyond that will better serve the clubs, the players and most important, the fans."

Only 32 days until training camp to discuss actual football news.

Little Whiskey
06-29-2010, 10:02 AM
how does it help the fans? cheaper ticket prices? refunded PSL's? ability to watch more games without forking over a fortune?

ThunderDan
06-29-2010, 11:02 AM
how does it help the fans? cheaper ticket prices? refunded PSL's? ability to watch more games without forking over a fortune?

They might agree to keep only 1 game a week on NFL TV.

cheesner
06-29-2010, 01:40 PM

The NFL owes much of its popularity to the parity in the league. I used to be a big Brewer fan, but I haven't watched a game in about 12 years. Why? Because the big market teams bought all the good players. I felt there was no way the Brewers would ever be world series competitive. Recently, there seems to be more parity in baseball, but its too late for me. I know very few of the players, nothing to get me excited too watch it again.

The new CBA for football should be geared to making the things fairer to all teams. For example, rookie wage scale. If there is a strict cap placed on rookies, teams drafting in the top 5 won't be saddled for 5 or 6 years with a draft bust. Therefore, your team can recover quicker and not suffer in mediocrity for long. Therefore, the new CBA will shape the NFL for years to come, it can be a plus or it can be a minus for the fan's enjoyment.

Little Whiskey
06-29-2010, 04:29 PM
The new CBA for football should be geared to making the things fairer to all teams. For example, rookie wage scale. If there is a strict cap placed on rookies, teams drafting in the top 5 won't be saddled for 5 or 6 years with a draft bust. Therefore, your team can recover quicker and not suffer in mediocrity for long. Therefore, the new CBA will shape the NFL for years to come, it can be a plus or it can be a minus for the fan's enjoyment.

which is the only thing the NFLPA and Owners agree on. the only ones that don't agree are the new rookies and, of course, agents! its the other things that will be the sticking points

Patler
06-29-2010, 04:39 PM

which is the only thing the NFLPA and Owners agree on. the only ones that don't agree are the new rookies and, of course, agents! its the other things that will be the sticking points

I don't think it matters much to most of the agents either. If the rookies they represent get less, the veterans they represent will get more. It's a defined pot from which they get a portion one way or another.

sharpe1027
06-29-2010, 05:07 PM
I wonder if agents are able to sucker some of the rookies into paying a higher percentage than the more experienced players will give them.

Lurker64
06-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Perhaps since the fans would lose if there is no football in 2011 due to the lack of a new CBA, they would win if there is football in 2011.

retailguy
06-29-2010, 08:43 PM
I wonder if agents are able to sucker some of the rookies into paying a higher percentage than the more experienced players will give them.

max commission is 3%. Can't sucker them any more than that. Real money is in the endorsements representation, not the contract itself.

sharpe1027
06-30-2010, 05:10 PM

max commission is 3%. Can't sucker them any more than that. Real money is in the endorsements representation, not the contract itself.

Thanks, an interesting bit of information (at least to me).

Scott Campbell
06-30-2010, 09:24 PM

There aren't that many guys with endorsement potential. Johnny Jolly probably could do commercials for Robitussin, but not everybody is going to get those kind of deals.

vince
07-01-2010, 05:07 AM
:lol: the extra strength variety - for those with serious congestion during the brutally cold summers of Houston

Not all players can supplement their measely football compensation with endorsement deals, so you've got to admire those with the unique ability and initiative to endorse a variety of pharmaceuticals on a grassroots level.

Curly Lambeau sold insurance. Don Hutson opened a bowling alley. Others take on freelance pharmeceutical sales.

Patler
07-01-2010, 06:58 AM
There are more than you think. Endorsement potential abounds for many.
Just a few others who come to mind:

Kevin and Pat Williams - diet aids
Mark Brunnell - Self help courses on how to make money in real estate investments.
..and of course, Michael Vick - SPCA ads

retailguy
07-01-2010, 09:08 AM

There aren't that many guys with endorsement potential. Johnny Jolly probably could do commercials for Robitussin, but not everybody is going to get those kind of deals.

lots of players can get local endorsement deals. Not as lucrative, but, hey it would have to be easy money, you know?

My point was that the agents can charge a much higher commission (there is no ceiling on those), where the NFLPA has limited agent commissions to 3% on football contracts.

MJZiggy
07-03-2010, 09:15 PM

Especially now that he's taken to shooting humans instead of dogs...:mrgreen:

woodbuck27
07-06-2010, 05:48 AM

Get this. To see a Toronto Maple leaf (NHL) game. A fan forks over....$8.00 for a hot dog. Just that thing with mustard and relish on it and little food value. Ohh Goody!! A draft beer will park you .... ONLY....$15.00 and that is Canadian of course.

Maple leaf Gardens is sold out every game. Same as the Bell Center ( The Montreal Canadians) located close to where Ive resided since April 2005. That is just insane. Fans deserve so much better treatment...respect.

How does DAD .... take his kids to games :?: Afford to live the past and once *normal* dream.

Will it change and maybe get better. NFW. The greed makes me just sick.

woodbuck27
07-06-2010, 05:55 AM

No problem as long as those humans are the old gang he once ran with MJ. Wow! I have some reading to do to catch up with it all. Thank goodness for Google.

woodbuck27
07-06-2010, 06:16 AM

my follow-up:

Did you read this MJ: :?:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-07-01/police-vick-not-ruled-out-suspect-shooting

MJZiggy
07-07-2010, 06:24 PM

my follow-up:

Did you read this MJ: :?:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-07-01/police-vick-not-ruled-out-suspect-shooting

I have now. I've also read that the Eagles are thinking of dumping him.

Guiness
07-08-2010, 01:05 AM
Get this. To see a Toronto Maple leaf (NHL) game. A fan forks over....$8.00 for a hot dog. Just that thing with mustard and relish on it and little food value. Ohh Goody!! A draft beer will park you .... ONLY....$15.00 and that is Canadian of course.

It's been a few years since I've been to a Leaf game - is it really $15 for a beer now??? Wow, insane.

Just curious - how much does a brew run at Lambeau these days?

edit: a look at the menu at Curly's looks a lot better - a brat for 7, a 1/2lb burger for 9 are both better choices than an $8 oscar meyer! I also found a blog saying a chili cheese foot long was $6.