PDA

View Full Version : Christl Report - August 2nd

Partial
08-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Camp Report, Aug. 2

THUMBS UP

The Packers might have found a bargain in linebacker Ben Taylor, an unrestricted free agent who signed a one-year deal for $665,000 and change. He didn’t stand out in Wednesday’s practice. It was one of those days where the offense seemed to be running weak-side in the run-down team sessions and Taylor plays strong side. But in Monday’s stifling heat, Taylor had the first three stops in that period and there has been evenness to his play that suggests he might squash any notions the coaches might have had about moving rookie Abdul Hodge from the middle to the strong side.

Taylor isn’t flashy. He doesn’t play with the snap of A.J. Hawk and Hodge. But he compensates for his modest speed and explosiveness in other ways. “Solid, solid camp,” said Reggie McKenzie, the Packers’ director of pro personnel. “He’s just an old-time football player. He’s an instinctive run defender. He understands the game.”

THUMBS DOWN

It seems clear already that Marc Boerigter is no Joe Jurevicius. Boerigter is another unrestricted free agent with an affordable one-year deal worth $782,000 and change, but he’s no Taylor, either, or so it appears to this point.

Boerigter, a tall wide receiver at 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds, might be faster than the even taller Jurevicius (6-5, 230). But with Boerigter, it appears to be all-straight line speed. He’s about as stiff a wide receiver as you’ll see in a pro camp and he plays too erect. He also had problems making the tough catch in the off-season practices. Jurevicius, who helped Seattle get to the Super Bowl last year, is one of the best inside option route runners in the game. He gets off jams. He’s crafty. He also has deceptive quickness and some shiftiness to him.

In eight practices so far, Boerigter has only five receptions in team and seven-on-seven periods. The only wide receivers with fewer catches out of the 11 in camp are rookies Cory Rodgers, who has three, and Leo Bookman, who missed four practices and has been shut out.

INJURY REPORT

Cornerback Al Harris dropped out of practice with a hyper-extended right elbow.

Guard Junius Coston returned to practice. Running back Najeh Davenport (ankle) missed practice after returning Tuesday night.

Chad Clifton (knee), Arliss Beach (head) and Patrick Dendy (ankle) continued to miss practice.

ODDS & ENDS

Rookie wide receiver Chris Francies and first-year man Chad Lucas each beat cornerback Ahmad Carroll down the sideline for long gains in the team sessions. Aaron Rodgers threw both passes. Carroll also was flagged for pass interference on the final play of practice and squawked at the official.

Free agent tight end Zac Alcorn, who hasn’t done much in camp after looking good in June, stretched out and made a diving catch over the middle.

Hawk held the point and stretched out a run to the weak-side by Samkon Gado in the early team session devoted to running situations.

Kickers Billy Cundiff and Dave Rayner didn’t miss in their five tries each from the 29-, 34-, 39-, 44- and 52-yard lines.

Cornerback Jason Horton intercepted a pass in seven-on-seven. The pass, thrown by Brett Favre, went through the hands of tight end Tory Humphrey.

Newcomer Todd Williams has been working at right tackle.

The final 15 minutes or so of practice was conducted in a downpour. Temperatures also plummeted from beastly hot to in the low 70s.

ON THIS DAY

Aug. 3, 1925 – The Packers announced that for the first time in their history they would play three regular-season games on an Eastern swing. Team president Andrew Turnbull and coach Curly Lambeau returned from a league meeting in Chicago and revealed that games had been scheduled against the Pottsville Maroons on Nov. 26; the Frankford Yellowjackets on Nov. 28; and the Providence Steam Roller on Dec. 6. In their first four seasons in the NFL, the Packers never played any further east than Chicago.

SCHEDULE THURSDAY

There will be two practices: One at 9 a.m. and the other at 6:30 p.m. The players are scheduled to wear full pads only at the night practice.

Bretsky
08-02-2006, 10:02 PM
"""Ahmad Carroll down the sideline for long gains in the team sessions. Aaron Rodgers threw both passes. Carroll also was flagged for pass interference on the final play of practice and squawked at the official. """

LOOKS LIKE HE'S IN PRIME SEASON FORM :wink:

I'm not a Carroll hater though; I just like ribbin those who adore the guy. He's a solid #3 CB.

MadtownPacker
08-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Favre threw 5 picks on Mondays practice. Is he a 3rd string QB now?

Bretsky
08-02-2006, 10:13 PM
But Favre throws 5 picks 1-2 games a year; Carroll plays grabby a bit more :wink:

CaliforniaCheez
08-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Okay #4. I wish he would hope for a WR drop than guanteeing yards with a penalty.

Boxing gloves or not he just doesn't seem to be able to see the ball when it is in the air. He also doesn't relaize it is not a 15 yard penalty anymore.

Some guys don't take to being coached or other aspects of discipline.

There was only slight improvement after Thomas was cut.

the_idle_threat
08-02-2006, 10:22 PM
INJURY REPORT

Cornerback Al Harris dropped out of practice with a hyper-extended right elbow.

Any truth to the rumor this happened when he wheeled around and flipped off a spectator who called him a "greedy piss-mop?"

Joemailman
08-02-2006, 10:25 PM
"""Ahmad Carroll down the sideline for long gains in the team sessions. Aaron Rodgers threw both passes. Carroll also was flagged for pass interference on the final play of practice and squawked at the official. """

I'm not a Carroll hater though; I just like ribbin those who adore the guy. He's a solid #3 CB.

I wonder if this would even be mentioned if it were someone other than Carroll who got called for the penalty.

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 10:41 PM

I wonder if this would even be mentioned if it were someone other than Carroll who got called for the penalty.

Exactly. So what. Are we supposed to get down on Carroll because he's competitive?

It's TC. It's all good with OUR #3 CB, now.

GO PACKERS !

SD GB fan
08-03-2006, 12:45 AM
what happened to the awesome reports of the packerrats? im probably spoiled but it seems like the reports from ppl on this forum are a lot better than these short Christl notes. a bit bland if u ask me and no one really cares about temperature reports.

GrnBay007
08-03-2006, 12:48 AM
It's Tooooo hot, nobody wants to go to practice!! lol

A group of Packer Rats are going to practice together on Monday and I'm sure they will provide a great report........along with pics!

Bretsky
08-03-2006, 12:49 AM
I don't think any have attended any full length practices with the nasty weather

SD GB fan
08-03-2006, 12:52 AM
ahh i see. my apologies. i live in SD and its been hot for a while too (90s) but i imagine it no where near GB weather.

Bretsky
08-03-2006, 12:56 AM
Been 95-98 with full humidity here lately fwiw

Spaulding
08-03-2006, 09:27 AM
No many comments on Rogers and the fact that he's making throws for big gains (i.e. Frances and Lucas) and playing with poise.

With all the comments about rebuilding or praising Thompson with managing the cap for next year, really it all hinges on Rodgers at this point.

Odds are Brett is done after this year or if the Pack shows life he'll possibly play next year but even us homers have to realize that any player with an 11 million dollar salary hamstrings the team in fielding a competive team.

The fact that Rodgers is showing such improvement is probably the thing I'm most optimistic so far out of camp as although I'd love for them to go .500 or better, there are so many new variables this year (schemes, coaches, young players, etc.) that for it all to gel into a team that makes the playoffs would be a cinderella story.

MJZiggy
08-03-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm impressed by the fact that although M3 says he's happy about Rodgers getting comfortable, now he has to take the next step. He knows what the next step is (urgency) and seems to know how to get him there. It will be very interesting to watch.

Creepy
08-03-2006, 09:52 AM
The next step is starting. Until Brett leaves by retirement or injury, Rodgers will not get on field experience during the regular season. The only way that happens is if GB loses so mant that they sit Brett and let Rodgers play.

I don't think GB will be as bad as last year so the chances are Rodgers willbe starting in his 3d year instead of 2d. IMO, watch how well Rivers does in SD, he satthe bench for two years and now starts, it may be an indication of what we can expect from Rodgers.

I know that SD runs a different style offense, but I mean watch his poise and confidence. With two years learning he should be able to lead, and give some idea of what can be expected of Rodgers.