PDA

View Full Version : "Super Bowl or Die"

vince
07-02-2010, 07:28 PM
says Nick Barnett to the world on NFL Total Access.

Strong statement. I like it.

Badgerinmaine
07-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Has he bought life insurance? 8-)

Joemailman
07-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Favre famously said "Super Bowl or bust" prior to the 1996 season. Holmgren got mad at him for talking Super Bowl before the season had started, but it happened.

Can we get McCarthy to call out Barnett for his foolish comment?

vince
07-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Lombardi regularly established and publicly stated the team's one goal to be the world championship prior to the season.

Now he has to back it up.

retailguy
07-03-2010, 08:59 AM

And an accurate one too. There really aren't any legitimate reasons why this team should not go all the way.

Packgator
07-03-2010, 10:48 AM

He also said........"every year I think we're going to the Super Bowl".

Nothing wrong with his comments. Here is the segment.......

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/07/02/packers-barnett-makes-a-bold-prediction/

Gunakor
07-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Favre famously said "Super Bowl or bust" prior to the 1996 season. Holmgren got mad at him for talking Super Bowl before the season had started, but it happened.

Barnett's just following tradition. This is how we win. We publicly set the bar at the highest level and get to work. Barnett wouldn't have said it so strongly if he didn't feel we had the team to get the job done. Nothing foolish about that statement if we have the arsenal to back it up.

It's in Dallas this year. Packers vs. Ravens. Book your tickets and hotel lodging now, it's gonna fill up fast.

packerbacker1234
07-03-2010, 01:14 PM

Barnett's just following tradition. This is how we win. We publicly set the bar at the highest level and get to work. Barnett wouldn't have said it so strongly if he didn't feel we had the team to get the job done. Nothing foolish about that statement if we have the arsenal to back it up.

It's in Dallas this year. Packers vs. Ravens. Book your tickets and hotel lodging now, it's gonna fill up fast.

Were just as good as the rest of the top tier teams in the NFC - thats well known. We have all the "tools" to get to the SB. The vikings should be lurking and be almost as good, if not equal to how good we are - the saints should still be lurking, and I am sure there will be a surprise team that is way better than we thought they were.

Still - Packers - Vikings - Saints, lets just see what happens. I like Barnett's prediction though. Sure, he said every year he thinks Super Bowl (what player doesn't?), but he never publicly stated it like this. He must really have a firm belief in where we are heading this year.

We solidified the OL, defense SHOULD be better in the 2nd year, and the offense should be putting up points. Barring a god aweful injury (like AR getting hurt, woodson gone for the season) - packers should be right there.

MJZiggy
07-03-2010, 08:52 PM

I share an office with a Ravens fan. Wouldn't that be a lot of fun.

retailguy
07-03-2010, 09:14 PM

He could have to have a "green/gold" cube for a year! Of course, you could have a purple one for a year too.... (but the odds of that are pretty small) :P

MJZiggy
07-03-2010, 09:21 PM

He could have to have a "green/gold" cube for a year! Of course, you could have a purple one for a year too.... (but the odds of that are pretty small) :P

(she, by the way) Either way, it's a nice change from the Pats fans that surround us. :shock:

Actually, we move offices mid-season and will have an open room rather than offices. I think I'm going to have to figure out what the new loyalties are...(the Ravens fan is going to be on the floor below me). My fear is that the Tom Brady fan will be the only one around who knows ANYTHING about football. I think even my Packer fan colleague will move to the lower floor.

bobblehead
07-03-2010, 10:55 PM

And an accurate one too. There really aren't any legitimate reasons why this team should not go all the way.

Thats a bit unrealistic...I can think of plenty of legitimate reasons why we should not go all the way. Of course I can think of plenty of legitimate reasons we might go all the way too.

packerbacker1234
07-04-2010, 12:50 AM

Thats a bit unrealistic...I can think of plenty of legitimate reasons why we should not go all the way. Of course I can think of plenty of legitimate reasons we might go all the way too.

Then how is it unrealistic. We were 11-5 last year, return everyone, did some decent drafting, and were set up pretty well for a run. OL play should be better at teh start this season with everyone there right away, Defense should still be about as good, maybe a small drop off... or a major increase (all depends on how we plan to address some of the defensive downfalls last year).

overall, we have as good of a shot to make the sb as any other contendor in the NFC right now. So, to me, thats a realistic expectation. When you can look around the NFC and know your team is good enough to beat them all, you should expect it until proven otherwise.

bobblehead
07-04-2010, 12:34 PM

Then how is it unrealistic. We were 11-5 last year, return everyone, did some decent drafting, and were set up pretty well for a run. OL play should be better at teh start this season with everyone there right away, Defense should still be about as good, maybe a small drop off... or a major increase (all depends on how we plan to address some of the defensive downfalls last year).

overall, we have as good of a shot to make the sb as any other contendor in the NFC right now. So, to me, thats a realistic expectation. When you can look around the NFC and know your team is good enough to beat them all, you should expect it until proven otherwise.

Lets see, its unrealistic because the Saints and Vikings are just as good as we are, which automatically makes it a 33% chance (assuming no darkhorse, injuries, ect.). To say there aren't any legitimate reasons a team shouldn't win the superbowl is flat out nuts. The other guys do get paid too you know.

Now, that being said, I give us every bit the same chance as those 2 teams, but things will still have to break our way. I can't think of many legitimate reasons we will be able to stop Favre or Brees given last years defense. I'm hoping better depth and CB and another year in the system makes just enough of a difference though.

Bretsky
07-04-2010, 02:19 PM
I think it's great if a player feels its a SB or Bust Year; and I really enjoy Nick Barnett more and more.......guy who enjoys playing for GB and being in GB.

That beins said, I agree with Bobble.

Saints and Vikes are very similar to us, and I would not be at all surprised to find out Dallas is there as well.

Reasons to doubt ?

1. Our special teams were horrid last year and we haven't really added anybody who niticeably improves them.
2. We didn't add another outside LB/Pass Rusher and there could be concern there
3. If an injury hits we may be shallow at CB.

With all that being said, I think we're set up for many successful years to come and a Super Bowl next year or in the near future would not surprise me

In fact, if we don't get one I'm be disappointed and a bit surprised

PlantPage55
07-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Now, that being said, I give us every bit the same chance as those 2 teams, but things will still have to break our way.

That's all anyone is saying...

Gunakor
07-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Lets see, its unrealistic because the Saints and Vikings are just as good as we are, which automatically makes it a 33% chance (assuming no darkhorse, injuries, ect.). To say there aren't any legitimate reasons a team shouldn't win the superbowl is flat out nuts. The other guys do get paid too you know.

Now, that being said, I give us every bit the same chance as those 2 teams, but things will still have to break our way. I can't think of many legitimate reasons we will be able to stop Favre or Brees given last years defense. I'm hoping better depth and CB and another year in the system makes just enough of a difference though.

Not even the Vikings or Saints are guaranteed anything. No matter how good your team is, things have to break your way sometimes in order to win a title. Every Super Bowl winner in the history of the NFL got a lucky bounce at some point in their season. That's football.

We have a SB caliber team. So does Minnesota. So does New Orleans. So does Indianapolis, and Baltimore, and the NY Jets. The Chargers and Cowboys might have a shot also. That's 8 teams with a realistic shot at the Lombardi Trophy this year. This statement wouldn't be unrealistic for any of these teams. It's not unrealistic for ours either. It doesn't mean we're going to win it, but it's realistic to assume we have as good a shot as anybody.

Super Bowl or Die. Fill out your vacation request slips and have them on your bosses desk before your coworkers do. It's in Dallas this year. February 6th. Packers vs. Ravens. We're gonna win a SUPER BOWL on the COWBOYS home field! It's gonna be a blast!!

Bretsky
07-04-2010, 03:33 PM
A comment from Nick Barnett

People asking why I said super bowl or die.
Cause every year I don't make it I feel like I have died
.. So it's a reminder of that feelin

BZnDallas
07-05-2010, 12:22 AM

i can help with anybody plannin on making the trip...