PDA

View Full Version : Charles Woodson Interview

Joemailman
07-08-2010, 05:45 PM
It's slow right now, but I found a couple of his comments interesting:

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2010/07/07/charles-woodson-would-play-any-defensive-scheme-for-100-million/

On whether Aaron Rodgers can take the Packers to the Super Bowl:

“As far as A-Rod is concerned, I told the Monday Night crew last year, I said, ‘If this guy, if they protect him the way he needs to be protected, he’s the best quarterback in the league, and I stand by that. If you look at last season, you take a guy that had over 50 sacks that still threw over 4,000 yards, that’s incredible.”

On Albert Haynesworth not showing up for OTAs:

“I think the consensus is that nobody can understand how you can get $100 million and not work on playing whatever system it is. I don’t care 3-4, 4-3, some 5-2, I don’t care. Who in the NFL wouldn’t want $100 million? I’m not a scheme guy. For me, I’m not a scheme guy. It doesn’t matter what scheme I’m in, I’m coming to play football. If a team said, ‘Hey, we want to pay you $100 million and we want to switch to a 3-4, what do you think?’ It doesn’t matter, I’m coming to play.”

To hear the entire interview:

http://cbswjfk.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/070610_lavaranddukes_seg9.mp3?dl=1

BlueBrewer
07-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Woodson is like a fine wine, he just gets better with age. I love this guy.

gbgary
07-08-2010, 06:26 PM

yup...if asked i bet chuck would play nose tackle for a $100 mill...at least for a few downs.

MJZiggy
07-08-2010, 09:37 PM

yup...if asked i bet chuck would play nose tackle for a $100 mill...at least for a few downs.

I'd bet on him to win a few of those matchups too...

packerbacker1234
07-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I also think he has the right attitude about most of what he said in that interview.

I mean, Albert is being stupid. The franchise gave you 100 million dollars. You will do whatever the hell they want you to do.

As for Woodson - I do think if he can avoid injury he may have 3 to 5 seasons left. He wants to go until that tank is empty, and all indications show he is no where near being empty.

Guiness
07-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Doesn't seem to be much of a shortage of players, especially vets, who are calling out Haynesworth. Woodson and Lewis being the most notable.

Usually when a player gets in a contract dispute, others line up behind him pointing out that contracts aren't guaranteed, short careers, etc. But I don't think anyone sees logic in what this guy is doing.

MadScientist
07-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Doesn't seem to be much of a shortage of players, especially vets, who are calling out Haynesworth. Woodson and Lewis being the most notable.

Usually when a player gets in a contract dispute, others line up behind him pointing out that contracts aren't guaranteed, short careers, etc. But I don't think anyone sees logic in what this guy is doing.

It also hurts the other players. Teams look and see how the Redskins gave a guy a ton of cash and he acts like an asshole. It make other teams less likely to risk that kind of cash.

hoosier
07-09-2010, 03:09 PM

It also hurts the other players. Teams look and see how the Redskins gave a guy a ton of cash and he acts like an asshole. It make other teams less likely to risk that kind of cash.

Haynesworth was already known to be an asshole, so it should come as no surprise that he is doing this. The Redskins have noone to blame but themselves. Hard to believe that most teams whose owner isn't Danny Snyder would consider throwing around that kind of money even in an uncapped year. I don't think many players will see their earning potential decline because of this. I think it just confirms what everyone already knew about Snyder, whose only true peer among NFL owners is Al Davis.

Fritz
07-10-2010, 12:43 AM
This reminds me of Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, who recently blasted Lebron James for jumping ship, calling him, among other things, "cowardly" and "hypoctritical." Yet Gilbert offered this hypocrite coward a boat load of money to stay in Cleveland, and had the coach fired for him, and so on and so on.

Dan Gilbert not look so good.

Patler
07-10-2010, 07:44 AM

It hurts the "elite" player that would sign a huge contract, and at the same time helps all the other players who get a little more on their contracts because there is extra money available to divide among them. This year might be a little different because of no cap, but a cap will return, and the pot will again have a finite volume that will get used up either by giving a lot to a few and less to many, or by giving somewhat more equal shares to everyone. In the end, it all gets used.

Fritz
07-10-2010, 08:30 AM

It hurts the "elite" player that would sign a huge contract, and at the same time helps all the other players who get a little more on their contracts because there is extra money available to divide among them. This year might be a little different because of no cap, but a cap will return, and the pot will again have a finite volume that will get used up either by giving a lot to a few and less to many, or by giving somewhat more equal shares to everyone. In the end, it all gets used.

Does this mean when an "elite" player acts like Haynesworth did that less-elite guys are happy about the spouting off because it's more money for them? If so, can you imagine some of the more average NFL players encouraging players like Haynesworth to be slef-righteous? Interesting locker room dynamics!

Pugger
07-10-2010, 01:11 PM

Does this mean when an "elite" player acts like Haynesworth did that less-elite guys are happy about the spouting off because it's more money for them? If so, can you imagine some of the more average NFL players encouraging players like Haynesworth to be slef-righteous? Interesting locker room dynamics!

The only thing about Haynesworth that is elite is his paycheck.

Patler
07-10-2010, 02:56 PM

The only thing about Haynesworth that is elite is his paycheck.

That's why I used " " around elite. Many teams were very leery of Haynesworth and his past misdeeds. Others wanted to think that he learned and grew up a little. He did play very well in spurts.

Fritz
07-10-2010, 03:21 PM
He's a bigger, badder, more talented version of Cletidus Hunt.

hoosier
07-10-2010, 07:29 PM
He's a bigger, badder, more talented version of Cletidus Hunt.

Old Cleedius was lazy but as far as I know his sloth never ended up hurting someone else. Haynesworth, on the other hand, almost killed someone while driving drunk. And he also revealed a malicious cheap-shot streak when he stomped on the Dallas center's face with his cleats. I would argue that his body of work goes beyond just "badder."