PDA

View Full Version : How Bare Was That Cupboard in Detroit?

Fritz
07-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Here's a link to an article in today's Detroit News. The Lions just released the last remaining player from Matt Millen's drafts. The article says his last year was 2006. Imagine: not a single player on your roster who was drafted by your team from prior to 2007.

This reminded me of one of the arguments Packer fans had when Thompson came on board and gutted much of the team.. There was an idea that you needed a core of your own drafted players with 3 - 7 or 8 years of experience, and Thompson did not have that and needed to build that up after Sherman's march through Wisconsin.

But Matt Millen makes Mike Sherman look like a genius. Check it out:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100710/OPINION03/7100396/Daniel-Bullocks--release-completes-purge-of-Matt-Millen-s-vision

red
07-11-2010, 10:42 AM
matt millen makes my dog look like a genius

Fred's Slacks
07-11-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm pretty sure Calvin Johnson was a Millen pick, and I think they have a few guys remaining from that draft.

Oh yes, now I see, they haven't gotten rid of all of Millen's picks yet. Just the ones from 02-06. Still really bad.

Patler
07-11-2010, 12:38 PM
The Packers have more Wolf draft picks (3 - Driver, Clifton, Tauscher) than Sherman draft picks (2 - Barnett, Wells). They have only two other Sherman acquisitions, Jenkins via FA and Harris via trade.

TravisWilliams23
07-11-2010, 12:45 PM
I miss Matt Millen. :cry:

retailguy
07-11-2010, 02:37 PM

I was a public advocate for a 10 year non-cancelable extension. 'Course I said the same thing about Rex Grossman too. :twisted:

packerbacker1234
07-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah but sherman had some other decent players he drafted. Javon Walker, as a packer, was good - just attitude adjustment...

and naturally, he left gb as an immature prick, and screwed the rest of his career. I believe he had a few other decent picks we just didn't keep around for whatever reason.

Patler
07-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah but sherman had some other decent players he drafted. Javon Walker, as a packer, was good - just attitude adjustment...

and naturally, he left gb as an immature prick, and screwed the rest of his career. I believe he had a few other decent picks we just didn't keep around for whatever reason.

Javon Walker had one decent year, that's about it. Other than Aaron Kampman, to be honest, I can't think of any Sherman draft pick who left that was missed. Can't really count Hunter Hillenmeyer because Sherman himself let him go. Corey Williams, Najeh Davenport, Chris Johnson?

Bossman641
07-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Johnson has turned into a pretty good corner hasn't he. I believe he starts. But yes, other than those few, not much from Sherm.

3irty1
07-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Johnson has turned into a pretty good corner hasn't he. I believe he starts. But yes, other than those few, not much from Sherm.

Sort of. He had a great half a season in 2008 after Hall was booted but after signing his contract he's been kind of pedestrian for a starting corner.

He's got ideal size and is a great tackler plus has some man to man cover skills but he's penalty machine. His ball skills are kind of weak too. Basically he's Al Harris but with more size/speed and less strength/technique.

Guiness
07-11-2010, 10:12 PM
At least he has a few hanging around the league, here and elsewhere.

So I see none of his 06 and prior players are still with the Lions - are they anywhere? All I can think of is Williams in Dallas. ANYONE else he drafted still in the league?

packerbacker1234
07-12-2010, 03:48 AM

Javon Walker had one decent year, that's about it. Other than Aaron Kampman, to be honest, I can't think of any Sherman draft pick who left that was missed. Can't really count Hunter Hillenmeyer because Sherman himself let him go. Corey Williams, Najeh Davenport, Chris Johnson?

Corey Williams is still considered a pretty decent DT - it's one reason the Lions DL was recently rated ahead of ours.

Chris Johnson is still better than any option we have if we get a CB injury this season.

As for walker:

http://www.nfl.com/players/javonwalker/profile?id=WAL209632

I wouldn't call that one season "decent" - thats an "all-pro" season. Virtually 90 catches, 1400 yards, and 12 td's? Those numbers are up there with the best in the league. Thats why it was considered a breakout season. His first season in denver is what I would call a "decent" season. roughly 70 catches, 1,000 yards, 9 td's. Thats DD #'s every year.

Of course, he downgraded at QB, and overall offense when he went to denver. Of course, he has been absolute shit since. Either arguing with management about how he is some top flight WR because hey, he had two good years, or busy holding out or sitting on IR because he can't stay healthy. Guy was a great talent, and it's sad to see he couldn't get his head on straight.

Fritz
07-12-2010, 06:12 AM
The water boy that Matt Millen hired in 2006 is getting a tryout with the Rams this week.

Scouting report on him is that he has bad hands, though.

Little Whiskey
07-12-2010, 10:16 AM
matt millen makes my dog's shit look like a genius

*fixed*

swede
07-12-2010, 12:30 PM

I miss Wayne Fontes.

Guiness
07-12-2010, 12:40 PM
It's ok. Just hope the Ford's keep running that team. They seem to be the common theme.

swede
07-12-2010, 12:51 PM
It's ok. Just hope the Ford's keep running that team. They seem to be the common theme.

I miss the Edsel.

Fritz
07-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. Martin Mayhew seems to be, at least, semi-competent.

retailguy
07-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. Martin Mayhew seems to be, at least, semi-competent.

Lewand is better drunk, but he's working on that.