PDA

View Full Version : Woodson escapes injury

Brando19
07-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Wow...thank God noone was injured.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/13/charles-woodson-escapes-before-fire-burns-house-to-ground/

Packers cornerback Charles Woodson was one of 11 people who escaped a house fire in Bay Harbor, Michigan, on Saturday, WTMJ is reporting.

No one was injured, but the multimillion-dollar home burned to the ground.

According to the report, Woodson and his business partner, Rick Ruiz, were in the home and smelled smoke around 4 a.m.

The Petoskey News-Review reports that there was a gathering at the home for "a celebration for the family for a large gift and naming of the University of Michigan Women's Hospital."

Woodson donated $2 million to the hospital last year. The owner of the home that burned down is a member of a family whose foundation donated $15 million to the hospital.

digitaldean
07-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Just read that. Extremely fortunate no one was injured.

Yes, CWood not getting hurt is an added bonus.

Scott Campbell
07-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Chuck never gets burned.

Brando19
07-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Maybe all the sayings with Chuck Norris can now be used for the real Chuck...Woodson.

Fire spreads away from Chuck Woodson.

Gunakor
07-13-2010, 11:54 PM
Maybe all the sayings with Chuck Norris can now be used for the real Chuck...Woodson.

Fire spreads away from Chuck Woodson.

:no:

vince
07-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Brilliant promotion by the director of Woodson's wine business - not that there's anything wrong with that. With all the good Woodson has done for Packer fans and more importantly, sick children, he deserves all the credit he's given.

Very fortunate that everyone escaped safely.

Charles Woodson Called “A Hero” In Aftermath Of House Fire
By Brian Carriveau on Jul 13, 2010

Green Bay Packers cornerback Charles Woodson is being labeled a hero for the part he played in helping his business associate escape a house fire in Bay Harbor, Mich. early this past Saturday morning.

“He’s a hero if you think about it,” said Rick Ruiz, director of operations for TwentyFour wine. “He actually woke me up, told me to get up.”

Woodson and Ruiz are business partners in the cornerback’s own wine label, TwentyFour, named after the number he wore while playing for the Oakland Raiders. The two were spending the night at the home of Gwen Haggerty who hosted an event that was both a fundraiser and a celebration of the dedication of the University of Michigan Von Voigtlander Women’s Hospital to open in 2011.

Haggerty is the daughter of Ted and Jane Von Voigtlander whose foundation donated $15 million to the hospital.

Woodson personally donated $2 million in 2009 through his own foundation to his college alma mater at the University of Michigan C.S. Mott Children’s Hopital to be housed in the same facility as the Von Voigtlander Women’s Hospital.

Furthermore, $10 of every bottle of his TwentyFour wine is donated to the C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital.

While up late into the evening, Woodson and Ruiz smelled a smoky odor and actually searched the top floor of the house looking for the source but couldn’t find anything. They thought perhaps the cleaning staff had burned a vacuum belt.

“I kind of just laid down, and Charles and I were just kind of hanging out there chatting about trying to figure out where that smell was coming from,” said Ruiz. “It wasn’t heavy at all in the beginning. It was just very light. I dozed off for a minute and Charles woke me up saying, ‘We gotta go. There’s a fire here.’”

The fire alarms went off and the dozen or so guests of the multi-million dollar house were all able to evacuate safely.

Woodson and Ruiz cancelled a couple of fundraising events on Saturday but are currently back in Green Bay and plan to continue their travels in support of TwentFour wine at another event to be held tomorrow evening, Wednesday July 14, at the Riverbend Club in Kohler, Wis. Their only inventory lost in the fire was that which the homeowner bought earlier in the evening.

The pair were shaken by the event and feel bad for the homeowners who are thought to have lost the entire home to fire, according to the Petoskey News-Review in Michigan.

“Charles and I have been thinking about, what if that? What if that?” said Ruiz. “We need to stop doing that and just be happy that everybody got out alive. You can actually drive yourself mental by thinking, ‘What if we wouldn’t have done that. What if we would have done this?’”

Ruiz credits watching a highlight video from the year Woodson won the Heisman Trophy and Michigan won a share of the national championship for keeping them alive.

“The Charles Woodson 1997 highlight tape saved our lives, because that’s what kept us up so late,” said Ruiz. “Seriously, we were up late watching that tape, and that’s what made us stay up so late to find that smoke in the beginning. Otherwise we probably would have been passed out. I don’t know.”

Woodson was unavailable for comment.

red
07-14-2010, 10:16 PM
c-wood = superman

Tony Oday
07-14-2010, 10:18 PM
C Wood second best FA signing in Green and Gold

mission
07-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Chuck never gets burned.

cant let it go un-noticed scott :clap:

Brando19
07-15-2010, 05:40 PM

I agree with you...at this moment. However...one more season like he had last year and a Super Bowl appearance...I think he's the best FA signing...and Reggie moves to second.

SkinBasket
07-15-2010, 08:49 PM

I agree with you...at this moment. However...one more season like he had last year and a Super Bowl appearance...I think he's the best FA signing...and Reggie moves to second.

i just puked on your mom's gunt.

Brando19
07-15-2010, 09:51 PM

Well at least you came up for air with my dad's cock....anyway.

Reggie White was no doubt a force to be reckoned with. Some say the greatest football player of all time. Hard to argue. But look at Woodson...he's the clear leader of our defense. He can play in a 3-4 or a 4-3 at the highest level. Look at the interceptions this man has since coming to GB...look at the plays he's made that put us in position to win games. If...and that's if...Charles Woodson has a season like he did last year AND we make the Super Bowl...how can you not argue he's the best FA signing in Green Bay?

Guiness
07-16-2010, 01:05 AM
If you look at the impact RW had on GB, he is a more important signing - because of his impact off the field.

He changed the Pack's position in the NFL pecking order. Before him, we were a place players got exiled to - with him choosing to come to the Pack, we became, if not immediately a desirable location, at least moving that way, and out of the league basement as far as destinations went.

Strictly between the lines, you could put up a good argument that CW was just as successful a signing.

The Leaper
07-17-2010, 12:44 AM
If...and that's if...Charles Woodson has a season like he did last year AND we make the Super Bowl...how can you not argue he's the best FA signing in Green Bay?

Um...do you remember the 70s and 80s?

Reggie White made Green Bay relevant after decades of ineptitude.

Also, Woodson came here because he didn't have any other options. He has even admitted that he wasn't really fond of coming to Green Bay when he figured out that was the way it was going. Yeah, Woodson warmed up to the Packers very quickly and is a hell of a Packer...but we would not have been his first choice.

Reggie could've gone anywhere...he CHOSE Green Bay. Sure, Ron Wolf floated a lot of Benjamins in front of him to make the choice easier, but it was a SHOCKING decision in the minds of most at the time.

Brando19
07-17-2010, 09:44 AM
If...and that's if...Charles Woodson has a season like he did last year AND we make the Super Bowl...how can you not argue he's the best FA signing in Green Bay?

Um...do you remember the 70s and 80s?

Reggie White made Green Bay relevant after decades of ineptitude.

Also, Woodson came here because he didn't have any other options. He has even admitted that he wasn't really fond of coming to Green Bay when he figured out that was the way it was going. Yeah, Woodson warmed up to the Packers very quickly and is a hell of a Packer...but we would not have been his first choice.

Reggie could've gone anywhere...he CHOSE Green Bay. Sure, Ron Wolf floated a lot of Benjamins in front of him to make the choice easier, but it was a SHOCKING decision in the minds of most at the time.

You have alot of good points...just none that relate to what I'm referring to. Sure, Reggie came on his own and Woodson had no other choice, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a FA signing that impacts the team, not in terms of other FA's wanting to come here, but in terms of making the team better. Woodson is the current Defensive Player of the Year. Without him, I don't believe we would have made the playoffs last year.

sharpe1027
07-17-2010, 10:10 AM
You have alot of good points...just none that relate to what I'm referring to. Sure, Reggie came on his own and Woodson had no other choice, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a FA signing that impacts the team, not in terms of other FA's wanting to come here, but in terms of making the team better. Woodson is the current Defensive Player of the Year. Without him, I don't believe we would have made the playoffs last year.

Two things.

First, there is no right or wrong answer here, so everyone can have different opinions.

Second, Reggie was extremely dominant and his pass rush and ability to play the run made the entire defense much, much better. I am not saying you are wrong, just that it is not an open and shut case, even if you are just looking at on-the-field performances.

The Leaper
07-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Woodson is the current Defensive Player of the Year. Without him, I don't believe we would have made the playoffs last year.

Yeah...great. We made the playoffs and our defense (with the vaunted DPOY) gave up 371 points and make a quick exit stage left.

Reggie made our defense the BEST IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE and WON A SUPER BOWL, which he himself put the cap on by sacking Bledsoe several times in the Patriots' final chance at getting back in the game.

It isn't even really a comparison worth considering at this point Brando. I'm not saying Woodson was a bad signing...likely #2 in the Packer's history during the free agency era. But it is still way behind the signing of White, who individually helped the team and also influenced several other key free agents who joined the team after him and contributed to the cause of a championship.

No one has come here recently because of Woodson. No one.

retailguy
07-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Brando - I've got no idea how old you are, but really, you need to rewatch some of the games from 1995-1997.

Reggie was much more than a great player. During the "emergence" of Favre, Reggie was the unquestioned leader of the team. People came to Green Bay for a chance to play with him.

There's a totally different "vibe" between Reggie's days as a Packer and today.

Woodson was a great, great signing. It took vision to see it, and Ted had it. One of his best moves as a GM to be sure.

To compare to Reggie? Really, though, don't do that to Ted. His achievement deserves to stand on it's own, it was important but different.

If Wolf hadn't signed Reggie, we wouldn't have a recent history to have even got Woodson to consider GB.

Reggie was the cornerstone in the building. It was the most important building block in the last 40 years of Packer history, including the renovation of Lambeau field.

swede
07-17-2010, 03:19 PM

That reminds me. Isn't it almost time for Nutz to come back and tell us that he has read our feeble threads and seen our paltry postings and felt moved in the same way one feels moved to turn over a piece of shit to see what might be hiding on the other side to tell us what a bunch of fricking piles of useless dog vomit we are?

It's always nice to hear from the big fella. And he would probably have an opinion on the CW was a better FA pickup than RW debate.

Bossman641
07-17-2010, 04:33 PM
All this talk about Reggie has got me wondering.

I was watching some show on NFL Network the other day that covered the Packers history through the late 90's. They went pretty in depth for 94-98. They mentioned how Reggie suffered a torn hamstring during the 95 season, missed a game, and then played the remainder of the season. Did his injury rob that team of a SB appearance? That was the year we lost to Dallas in the NFCCG. I sort of remember his injury, but don't remember how much it effected him and the defense.

Brando19
07-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Woodson is the current Defensive Player of the Year. Without him, I don't believe we would have made the playoffs last year.

Yeah...great. We made the playoffs and our defense (with the vaunted DPOY) gave up 371 points and make a quick exit stage left.

Reggie made our defense the BEST IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE and WON A SUPER BOWL, which he himself put the cap on by sacking Bledsoe several times in the Patriots' final chance at getting back in the game.

It isn't even really a comparison worth considering at this point Brando. I'm not saying Woodson was a bad signing...likely #2 in the Packer's history during the free agency era. But it is still way behind the signing of White, who individually helped the team and also influenced several other key free agents who joined the team after him and contributed to the cause of a championship.

No one has come here recently because of Woodson. No one.

Guys guys guys...please read my original post. I agreed that Woodson is the second best and Reggie is number one. I then went on to say that IF....that's IF...Woodson has another season like he had AND we go to the Super Bowl...then it's debatable that Woodson is the best FA signing in Green Bay history.

Brando19
07-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Brando - I've got no idea how old you are, but really, you need to rewatch some of the games from 1995-1997.

Reggie was much more than a great player. During the "emergence" of Favre, Reggie was the unquestioned leader of the team. People came to Green Bay for a chance to play with him.

There's a totally different "vibe" between Reggie's days as a Packer and today.

Woodson was a great, great signing. It took vision to see it, and Ted had it. One of his best moves as a GM to be sure.

To compare to Reggie? Really, though, don't do that to Ted. His achievement deserves to stand on it's own, it was important but different.

If Wolf hadn't signed Reggie, we wouldn't have a recent history to have even got Woodson to consider GB.

Reggie was the cornerstone in the building. It was the most important building block in the last 40 years of Packer history, including the renovation of Lambeau field.

I'm 26. And like I said....Woodson can be compared to Reggie if he has another super season and we reach the Super Bowl.