PDA

View Full Version : LB Rankings

HarveyWallbangers
07-13-2010, 11:19 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjhWkZJCtZBBbz_QHClykgdDubYF?slug=jc-lbrankings071210

3. Green Bay: Someday in the near future, NFL people will talk about how the Packers linebacking corps is like some four-headed nightmare. With Nick Barnett(notes), Clay Matthews(notes), Brad Jones and A.J. Hawk(notes) (who is almost an afterthought in this group), the Packers have the best combination of great tacklers against the run and potential pass-rush stars. Throw in the fact that Barnett is the only one older than 26 (he’s 29), and you have the makings of something marvelous. Matthews was terrific all season, and Jones was a late-season revelation with all four of his sacks coming in the last five games.

HarveyWallbangers
07-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Until Brad Jones proves he can be the man, this ranking is too high.

bobblehead
07-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Until Brad Jones proves he can be the man, this ranking is too high.

I was one who said that Kamp took too much heat and people saying we got better with jones were nuts. That being said, I think Jones really came on in the end and if we can not have the nightmare of injuries at DB this year we will be really good.

Pugger
07-14-2010, 10:02 AM
If you read the last sentence Jones got all 4 of his sacks in his last 5 games and was a rookie thrown to the wolves after Kampmann went down. Shouldn't logic tell you that he'll be even better this season?

HarveyWallbangers
07-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Hopefully, he doesn't go through a sophomore slump.

retailguy
07-14-2010, 11:18 AM
If you read the last sentence Jones got all 4 of his sacks in his last 5 games and was a rookie thrown to the wolves after Kampmann went down. Shouldn't logic tell you that he'll be even better this season?

Did you watch the playoff game? He was one of the worst defenders out there. Seems to me that there is now film on how to beat the rookie.

He needs to step up and improve this year. I'm convinced he can do it, but saying because he got 4 sacks in the last 5 games, he's there, is shortsighted.

HarveyWallbangers
07-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Did you watch the playoff game? He was one of the worst defenders out there.

May I ask where you took this from? Is it because of pass rush, missed tackles, poor coverage? I just don't remember him standing out as bad. I do remember Warner going off, but that was mostly poor corner and safety play (Woodson included). Pass rush was poor also, but I think mostly due to the fact that Warner got the ball out of his hands so quickly.

retailguy
07-14-2010, 12:56 PM

May I ask where you took this from? Is it because of pass rush, missed tackles, poor coverage? I just don't remember him standing out as bad. I do remember Warner going off, but that was mostly poor corner and safety play (Woodson included). Pass rush was poor also, but I think mostly due to the fact that Warner got the ball out of his hands so quickly.

It was the whole defense that played poorly, yes, woodson included.

The cardinals neutralized Jones pretty effectively by either getting a lineman on him, (which wasn't difficult since the pass rush was non-existent), or getting the TE on him. Once that happened he was pretty well neutralized. His outside speed move and his bull rush were ineffective in these situations, and if you look at the 4 sacks and the other good penetration he got in the latter part of the season, it came from those moves.

What I should have added to my comment is that the Cardinals defensive staff deserves gold stars for the way they planned for that game, with both Woodson and Jones they had answers.

Bretsky
07-14-2010, 11:38 PM

I too would contend that Jones was actually worse than our defense that day. The missed assignments and being out of position were IMO his biggest challenge that day.....but he missed some tackles as well. Listened to a lot of post game analysis the week after along with interviews; it's part of my rehab process. Our defense was horrible but in that game Jones was even worse. With that being said, he showed signs of being a player at times last year.

I haven't taken the homer drug on Brad Jones yet but I do hope those that have are completely right.

HarveyWallbangers
07-14-2010, 11:54 PM
I'm not sold on Jones, but I'm not ready to say that people have film on him. He had a promising rookie season. It could have been a flash in the pan, but it also could be the start of a nice career. Who knows. Until we know, I can't rate our LB corps that high though. I think it's solid with the potential to be very good. Matthews looks like a stud, Barnett is solid, Hawk is a very good run defender, and Chillar is a solid nickel LB. If Jones becomes a solid starter, it will be a very good unit. If we get 20 sacks combined out of Matthews and Jones, this defense could be legit.

Pugger
07-15-2010, 10:36 AM

Did you watch the playoff game? He was one of the worst defenders out there. Seems to me that there is now film on how to beat the rookie.

He needs to step up and improve this year. I'm convinced he can do it, but saying because he got 4 sacks in the last 5 games, he's there, is shortsighted.

I didn't say he was 'there'. He played like a rookie in his first playoff game. If he doesn't have a sophmore slump he will learn from his mistakes and should be better in 2010.

mraynrand
07-15-2010, 10:44 AM

I didn't say he was 'there'. He played like a rookie in his first playoff game. If he doesn't have a sophmore slump he will learn from his mistakes and should be better in 2010.

too early to tell about Jones. Playoff game? Perfect game plan to exploit the weakened secondary and defects in handing off receivers between LBs and dbacks executed to perfection by Warner. Having every lineman suffering from ankle problems really hurt interior pass pressure. I'll look at Jones in that game (I don't recall him doing anything outstandingly good or bad)...

packerbacker1234
07-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Too early to judge jones - we'll see if he is the guy this season for sure. It's his job right now, and he has to earn it.

We also have "okay" depth with Chillar and Popinga (hey pop may not be a great starter, but as a backup he is as solid as they come).

Barnett SHOULD be better this year, now one full season removed from his recovery. He is in his prime. Hawk or Chillar - one of the two need to prove they are that full time 2nd MLB. They both ahve weaknesses and strengths, and they both have a unique opportunity. It's clear the packers are not sold on hawk by the contract they gave chillar, but they did it in a way where both should get a chacne to earn that spot.

Matthews is a given, and hopefully he avoids a 2nd year slump. Teams will be keying him in blocking schemes this year, so it should open up more chances for Jones.

Jones showed some great flashes of being good, and not just in the sack #'s. He played very solid overalll for long stretches, and then looked absolutely horrible at other times. For where he was drafted, thats to be expected.

It's year 2 for him now and it's HIS job, time for him to step up.

I agree our LB's are excellent in the run game, and we have good safties and cb's for that run stoppage support. Pass game wise, I think Barnett is the only one that is reliable.