PDA

View Full Version : DL Rankings

HarveyWallbangers
07-13-2010, 11:29 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AkekGAS8MbNna7TvAx9mSibsYNAF?slug=jc-dlinerankings062810

20. Green Bay Packers: Over the past four years, Green Bay has become the home of defensive linemen with unrealized potential. Cullen Jenkins(notes) never seems to stay healthy. Johnny Jolly(notes) never seems to stay out of trouble. B.J. Raji(notes) wasn’t consistent as a rookie in ’09. Justin Harrell(notes) just never seems. Bottom line, it’s pretty damning when journeyman Ryan Pickett(notes) is the most consistent guy on the depth chart. In fairness, there’s still plenty of time for Raji. But barring a stunning shift, the rest of the guys are what they are.

I think he's off here. I wouldn't call Pickett a journeyman. He's been pretty damn good with the Packers. Raji is a talent. A lot does depend on Jolly, but we do have a couple of rookies that could help. Jenkins missed most of one season, but has played 78 of a possible 80 games in his other 5 seasons.

bobblehead
07-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Agreed, Jenkins had one serious injury and otherwise plays. The better criticism would be that he isn't nearly as effective with minor injuries.

Pickett a journyman? Well, I guess if playing out your rookie contract with one team, then finishing your career with another is a journyman....yea, thats him.

Lurker64
07-14-2010, 02:46 AM
This ranking, together with the LB ranking, indicates that the author of these rankings really doesn't understand the 3-4 defense. Our defensive linemen didn't make a lot of plays by 4-3 defensive linemen standards (Jollly's one handed INT of Cutler notwithstanding), but our LBs certainly made their fair share of plays (which was a whole lot of plays by 4-3 standards). The job of the defensive line in the 3-4 defense is largely to do the grunt work so the LBs are able to make plays. The very fact that our running defense was so good last year, was a testament to how well our defensive linemen (as well as our ILBs) played last year.

Jolly is a playmaker, Pickett is as solid as they come, Raji has the body type and athleticism to be an ideal nose, Jenkins is a natural 5-technique with some pass rushing skills, Jarius Wynn has a natural pass rushing move and a counter, and this year's rookie seem to be promising as well since Neal is a strong as a horse (he compares favorably to Igor Olshansky coming out, whose entire game was power), and Wilson has some intriguing athleticism for a big man.

I wouldn't leave this team's DL out of the top half of the league, and I certainly wouldn't put the LBs in the top 5.

Pugger
07-14-2010, 09:58 AM
This ranking, together with the LB ranking, indicates that the author of these rankings really doesn't understand the 3-4 defense. Our defensive linemen didn't make a lot of plays by 4-3 defensive linemen standards (Jollly's one handed INT of Cutler notwithstanding), but our LBs certainly made their fair share of plays (which was a whole lot of plays by 4-3 standards). The job of the defensive line in the 3-4 defense is largely to do the grunt work so the LBs are able to make plays. The very fact that our running defense was so good last year, was a testament to how well our defensive linemen (as well as our ILBs) played last year.

Jolly is a playmaker, Pickett is as solid as they come, Raji has the body type and athleticism to be an ideal nose, Jenkins is a natural 5-technique with some pass rushing skills, Jarius Wynn has a natural pass rushing move and a counter, and this year's rookie seem to be promising as well since Neal is a strong as a horse (he compares favorably to Igor Olshansky coming out, whose entire game was power), and Wilson has some intriguing athleticism for a big man.

I wouldn't leave this team's DL out of the top half of the league, and I certainly wouldn't put the LBs in the top 5.

+1

cheesner
07-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Agreed, Jenkins had one serious injury and otherwise plays. The better criticism would be that he isn't nearly as effective with minor injuries.

Pickett a journyman? Well, I guess if playing out your rookie contract with one team, then finishing your career with another is a journyman....yea, thats him.
Journeyman = Reliable worker but not a master of his craft. In football it means a slightly above average player. I would put Pickett above that and say he is in the top 10 at his position. But the 3-4 DL don't generate the stats and it isn't as obvious.

retailguy
07-14-2010, 12:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AkekGAS8MbNna7TvAx9mSibsYNAF?slug=jc-dlinerankings062810

20. Green Bay Packers: Over the past four years, Green Bay has become the home of defensive linemen with unrealized potential. Cullen Jenkins(notes) never seems to stay healthy. Johnny Jolly(notes) never seems to stay out of trouble. B.J. Raji(notes) wasn’t consistent as a rookie in ’09. Justin Harrell(notes) just never seems. Bottom line, it’s pretty damning when journeyman Ryan Pickett(notes) is the most consistent guy on the depth chart. In fairness, there’s still plenty of time for Raji. But barring a stunning shift, the rest of the guys are what they are.

I think he's off here. I wouldn't call Pickett a journeyman. He's been pretty damn good with the Packers. Raji is a talent. A lot does depend on Jolly, but we do have a couple of rookies that could help. Jenkins missed most of one season, but has played 78 of a possible 80 games in his other 5 seasons.

On the one hand I agree with you that the talent we have is better than this. However, with Jenkins specifically, how many of those 78 games has he played injured? Quite a few. He always seems to be hurt in one form or another. This is good because he's out there playing, but bad because he's not in the best shape to play his best either.

Jolly is a train wreck. No way can he be focused on the season. Too much is hanging over his head. No way has he mentally (or physically) prepared himself for this season. I expect nothing out of him, truthfully.

Justine - good God where to begin? So much promise, so little likelihood of ever seeing it. Makes you say - MIKE NEAL, C'mon Down! You're the NEXT contestant on the Packer DL!

HarveyWallbangers
07-14-2010, 12:45 PM
I question anybody who even mentions Harrell when analyzing our team. I think most knowledgeable fans think it's unlikely he'll ever contribute much to the team. That boat has sailed. I'd say C.J. Wilson (a late round pick) has a better chance to make the team than Harrell at this point. Hopefully, this Neal kid works out. Pickett is a good run stopper, Raji has star potential, Jenkins is one of the best 3-4 DE in the league. We either need Jolly or need Neal or Wynn to step up big-time. Or better yet, two of those three things to happen.

retailguy
07-14-2010, 12:58 PM
I question anybody who even mentions Harrell when analyzing our team. I think most knowledgeable fans think it's unlikely he'll ever contribute much to the team. That boat has sailed. I'd say C.J. Wilson (a late round pick) has a better chance to make the team than Harrell at this point. Hopefully, this Neal kid works out. Pickett is a good run stopper, Raji has star potential, Jenkins is one of the best 3-4 DE in the league. We either need Jolly or need Neal or Wynn to step up big-time. Or better yet, two of those three things to happen.

Wilson is a total project, but yes, I agree, makes more sense to put the time and money into him at this point. Neal is the best hope for help this year.

My money is on Justine being injured by the 2nd preseason game, if he makes it that long.