PDA

View Full Version : What do you want M3 to "fix" this preseason?

packrulz
07-16-2010, 06:02 AM
Only 15 days until training camp! M3 always says "We'll get that fixed", so what do you want him to "fix" this preseason? I included "other" in case there's something else you want "fixed".

packrulz
07-16-2010, 06:07 AM
I vote OL, I hope Bulaga can pass block because I doubt Cliffy can stay healthy for a whole season. Ditto for Lang (or whoever) backing up Taucher. If the OL had blocked better last year the Pack could've gone a lot farther into the playoffs.

Gunakor
07-16-2010, 07:03 AM
If the same quality of OL play that we finished the season with were evident to begin the season we aren't playing in a wild card game against AZ to open the playoffs. The problems I had with the OL last September were largely solved by December.

That's not to say there's no reason for concern there, but of greater concern is the special teams. What's our final record if Crosby isn't pushing his kicks wide right? What's our record if Jordy Nelson isn't being asked to return kickoffs? What's our record if we had a punter with even a mediocre leg by NFL standards? There seems to be a lot more work to be done here than in any other area of the team, and there were no answers given to these questions either last season or over the offseason. So we got what we got. That leaves MM to "fix" what was broken with the pieces we have.

Joemailman
07-16-2010, 07:05 AM
Defense. Red zone pass defense was their greatest downfall last year, especially against quality offenses, which you will face in the playoffs.

pack4to84
07-16-2010, 07:38 AM
I voted special teams. With our defense we need to find a returner. He would be getting a lot of opportunities. We probable can go without a punter since we don't even use one or need one. Only thing he could be used for is holding for extra points.

Fritz
07-16-2010, 08:20 AM
I am torn between special teams and pad level.

MadScientist
07-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Special teams. The OL was trouble for half the season, but the total offense was still very good. The special teams sucked donkey dick in all phases for the whole year.

Scott Campbell
07-16-2010, 10:38 AM
I'd like a pass rush please.

HarveyWallbangers
07-16-2010, 10:44 AM
QB: Is Graham Harrell good enough to beat out Matt Flynn for the #2 spot?

Ummm... doubtful. But I'm not too concerned about Flynn. He seems like he could be a solid backup QB. Not sure why this is one of the poll answers.

Pugger
07-16-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm thinking with Raji in the middle and additions of Neal and Wilson our pass rush should improve so I voted special teams. Last year they weren't very special.

Fred's Slacks
07-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Special Teams hands down for me.

2nd ranked defense (debateable about how good they actually are but still solid).
~5 ranked offense (don't know exact ranking but pretty sure we were at least top 10).
32nd ranked Special Teams

Most importantly we need the coverage units to step up. I am okay with pedestrian returners and punters, but we can't give up back breaking, momentum swining returns like we did last year against Minnesota, Cincinati, Tampa Bay and others I'm sure I'm missing. Those lost us games.

We don't need to be great. We just can't be god awful like we were last year.

swede
07-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Special Teams hands down for me.

2nd ranked defense (debateable about how good they actually are but still solid).
~5 ranked offense (don't know exact ranking but pretty sure we were at least top 10).
32nd ranked Special Teams

Most importantly we need the coverage units to step up. I am okay with pedestrian returners and punters, but we can't give up back breaking, momentum swining returns like we did last year against Minnesota, Cincinati, Tampa Bay and others I'm sure I'm missing. Those lost us games.

We don't need to be great. We just can't be god awful like we were last year.

Thank you, Fred.

No point in buying new carpeting to replace good carpeting when the roof is leaking.

ThunderDan
07-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Special Teams no doubt. The D needs to get better but the special teams were so bad we have to have substantial improvement. You can't give up 10-15 yards everytime the ball changes hands.

bobblehead
07-16-2010, 01:31 PM

I second this, but special teams is a relatively easy fix compared to finding NFL quality pass rushers.

Our ST was so bad last year I'm shocked we won 10 games let alone more. Returns, coverage, punter, kicker.....all had bad breakdowns that lost or could have lost games. Get 'er fixed MM.

swede
07-16-2010, 01:56 PM

I second this, but special teams is a relatively easy fix compared to finding NFL quality pass rushers.

Our ST was so bad last year I'm shocked we won 10 games let alone more. Returns, coverage, punter, kicker.....all had bad breakdowns that lost or could have lost games. Get 'er fixed MM.

We've had six NFL quality pass rushers since the last time our special teams were top 10! Our pass rush success has been up and down over the last 15 years but our special teams have sucked consistently.

I would think that your statement SHOULD be correct but it hasn't been so for us.

cheesner
07-16-2010, 02:06 PM

It seems like it should be an easy fix, but we have emphasized special teams for two seasons now and things have only gotten worse. One of the reasons for the 3-4 was to have more LBs to improve ST. It seems we are keeping a few fringe players each season because of their alleged ST prowess. And still we are the worse.

packrulz
07-16-2010, 03:57 PM
QB: Is Graham Harrell good enough to beat out Matt Flynn for the #2 spot?

Ummm... doubtful. But I'm not too concerned about Flynn. He seems like he could be a solid backup QB. Not sure why this is one of the poll answers.
Have you seen Harrell play? He beat Texas, in a huge game. Sure, he had Crabtree to throw to but his passes are spot on. I don't think it's a reach to think that Harrell can beat out Flynn for the #2 QB spot. These clips are crappy, but if you watch his mechanics and some of the throws he makes, I think you'll be impressed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHqPn-LEMDY

HarveyWallbangers
07-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Have you seen Harrell play? He beat Texas, in a huge game.

No offense, but big deal. There's a good chance he won't even make the team. Plenty of great college QBs do nothing in the pros. He didn't even get drafted last year and spent 2009 in the CFL.

Andre Ware
Ty Detmer
Gino Torretta
Danny Wuerffel
Chris Weinke
Jason White
Troy Smith

All Heisman Trophy winners that did nothing.

How about Texas Tech QBs who put up big numbers?

Kliff Kingsbury - 5000 yards and 45 TDs in 2002
B.J. Symons - 5800 yards and 52 TDs in 2003
Sonny Cumbie - 4700 yards and 32 TDs in 2004
Cory Hodges - 4200 yards and 31 TDs in 2005
Graham Harrell - 5700 yards and 48 TDs in 2007

Did nothing in the pros.

BTW, Matt Flynn won some big games at LSU. Led them to a national championships. So did Matt Mauck. Matt Leinart was a great college QB. Doesn't really matter when you get to the pros.

Zool
07-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Look at Harv busting out the Klingsbury. Wheres Dave Klingler and Dan Mcguire? Not Heisman but big time college guys who sucked in the pro's.

packrulz
07-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Have you seen Harrell play? He beat Texas, in a huge game.

No offense, but big deal. There's a good chance he won't even make the team. Plenty of great college QBs do nothing in the pros. He didn't even get drafted last year and spent 2009 in the CFL.

Andre Ware
Ty Detmer
Gino Torretta
Danny Wuerffel
Chris Weinke
Jason White
Troy Smith

All Heisman Trophy winners that did nothing.

How about Texas Tech QBs who put up big numbers?

Kliff Kingsbury - 5000 yards and 45 TDs in 2002
B.J. Symons - 5800 yards and 52 TDs in 2003
Sonny Cumbie - 4700 yards and 32 TDs in 2004
Cory Hodges - 4200 yards and 31 TDs in 2005
Graham Harrell - 5700 yards and 48 TDs in 2007

Did nothing in the pros.

BTW, Matt Flynn won some big games at LSU. Led them to a national championships. So did Matt Mauck. Matt Leinart was a great college QB. Doesn't really matter when you get to the pros.

Yea, you're right Harv, why even bring in another QB? I'm not knocking Flynn, I like him, but Harrell is pretty damn good too. Graham Harrell - 5700 yards and 48 TDs in 2007
I just posted this thread because I'm fired up about the season but I guess you would rather piss in my Kool aide, enjoy!

Guiness
07-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Thank you, Fred.

No point in buying new carpeting to replace good carpeting when the roof is leaking.

Especially if the carpeting already matches the curtains.

(I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but I just wanted to say it. I guess I could just post that and act all cool like SC and let you guys put meaning to it)

Merlin
07-19-2010, 01:07 PM
It all starts with the OL and no one has "fixed it" in years.

MJZiggy
07-19-2010, 05:50 PM
I personally would like to see him "fix" Johnny Jolly's asshole, but beyond that, a functional special teams unit would be a nice touch.

RashanGary
07-19-2010, 05:59 PM
I think Sherm-head used to say he'll "get it fixed". McCarthy says he'll, "clean his house".

Joemailman
07-19-2010, 06:12 PM

The Packers had the league's #6 offense. So...

Merlin
07-20-2010, 12:53 AM

So let me get this straight, because Rodgers puts up a ton of yards, the OL is off the hook? Rodgers is running for his life back there and last season he got better at getting away and made better decisions which made the line look better. The first 8 games he was on his ass all the damn time. Our running game isn't going to scare anyone because it just isn't very good when it needs to be. Clifton and Tauscher have a shelf life that is rapidly approaching and I don't remember one season in the past 5 where the OL was known before the first regular season game. When there is a solid starting 5 who last more than 2 games and are known way before the season starts, then I would say the issue is taken care of. Until then, it will be more speculation by us the fans until someone does something. They tried a new line coach, they tried bringing in who they thought was good enough, maybe it's time to find someone who can properly rate OL talent because whoever we have isn't doing the job.

It isn't like our starters are "injured" and that's why we don't know - it's because the Packers don't even know and that is a scary thought.

Fred's Slacks
07-20-2010, 06:17 AM

So let me get this straight, because Rodgers puts up a ton of yards, the OL is off the hook? Rodgers is running for his life back there and last season he got better at getting away and made better decisions which made the line look better. The first 8 games he was on his ass all the damn time. Our running game isn't going to scare anyone because it just isn't very good when it needs to be. Clifton and Tauscher have a shelf life that is rapidly approaching and I don't remember one season in the past 5 where the OL was known before the first regular season game. When there is a solid starting 5 who last more than 2 games and are known way before the season starts, then I would say the issue is taken care of. Until then, it will be more speculation by us the fans until someone does something. They tried a new line coach, they tried bringing in who they thought was good enough, maybe it's time to find someone who can properly rate OL talent because whoever we have isn't doing the job.

It isn't like our starters are "injured" and that's why we don't know - it's because the Packers don't even know and that is a scary thought.

I think the fact that they finished the season much better then how they started, plus Barbre is not in the starting line up, plus the addition of Bulaga has many optimistic about the line this year. You're right, its speculation, but people feel that there's reason to believe we're okay there.

mraynrand
07-20-2010, 07:49 AM
I don't remember one season in the past 5 where the OL was known before the first regular season game.\

Those years really add up quickly. It has been a while since the O-line was a known quantity before the season started. It's a huge question mark, because of the age of the tackles, and the inexperience (and/or lack of talent) of the likely in-season replacements.

pbmax
07-20-2010, 09:13 AM
I don't remember one season in the past 5 where the OL was known before the first regular season game.\

Those years really add up quickly. It has been a while since the O-line was a known quantity before the season started. It's a huge question mark, because of the age of the tackles, and the inexperience (and/or lack of talent) of the likely in-season replacements.
Welcome to life in the rest of the NFL. Tauscher-Rivera-Winters/Flanagan-Wahle-Clifton is the anomaly. Very few teams keep everyone healthy and still more are looking to replace a former starter.

mraynrand
07-20-2010, 11:53 AM

Welcome to life in the rest of the NFL. Tauscher-Rivera-Winters/Flanagan-Wahle-Clifton is the anomaly. Very few teams keep everyone healthy and still more are looking to replace a former starter.

Absolutely. Different teams try different strategies to shore up that line. At least a few have been successful going out and signing a lineman for big $. I'm just hoping that the Packers (as others have said) have improved in evaluating OL talent in the draft and coaching it up when they get to Green Bay. I'm OK with the overall TT strategy but wonder how suited it is to make that one big push to win the SB in a critical year where things 'come together.' That's an ethereal thing to be sure, and relies on freedom from injury, but is this that year, and will the Packers suffer from not signing up a competent OLman to fill a likely in-season void? Or is that guy already on the roster? I wonder....

mraynrand
07-21-2010, 09:10 AM
I don't think McCarthy is the sharpest tool in the shed:

"Like I tell Scott all the time, when you don't talk to one of your players, that means they're doing a heck of a job," Packer head coach Mike McCarthy said of Wells.