PDA

View Full Version : Vikings To Be This Years Titans?

Scott Campbell
07-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Most people have the Vikings contending for a Superbowl this year, and rightfully so after their terrific season that was ultimately ruined by Bert's pick to Tracy Porter. But like us they have a much more difficult schedule. And unlike us, they are betting everything on a 41 year old to defy father time for one more season.

Look what happened to the Titans last year with them coming off the leagues best record and Kerry Collins coming off a Pro Bowl season. When it finally goes, it can go fast. I'm not saying it's Brett's time yet, but he is 41 years old and it shouldn't surprise anyone if it's his time to wilt. The Titans waited until they were 0-6 to acknowledge that something was wrong, and by then it was too late. I'm not sure anyone in that Vikings organization has enough of a spine to bench an 0-6 Bert. He is bigger than the team.

Like most everyone else, I expect the Vikings to contend this year - much like the Packers. But unlike the Packers, I think the Vikings are also capable of finishing sub .500. How much fun would that be?

hoosier
07-20-2010, 08:59 AM
The main culprit in the Titans' collapse last year was the defense, and especially the pass defense. Collins was bad, but they certainly don't lose their first six games with a Chris Johnson-led offense if the D is playing the way it did in 2008. That, IMO, is where the comparison is faulty: if Bert were to revert to his 2005-2006 form, the Vikings still have a solid defense to complement their running game. Even if Favre's play declines they can still be a ball control team and finish over 500.

Fritz
07-20-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm guessing the Saints have a better chance of being last year's Titans.

And do this year's Titans have a chance to be last year's Titans?

Scott Campbell
07-20-2010, 11:48 AM
I think the parallels are pretty amazing. Old geezer QB coming off a great season. One of the best running backs in the league.

And then you look at that Viking schedule.

sharpe1027
07-20-2010, 11:59 AM
I think the parallels are pretty amazing. Old geezer QB coming off a great season. One of the best running backs in the league.

If anyone can make it happen, it would be Brad Childress.

mngolf19
07-20-2010, 12:29 PM

Based on?

mngolf19
07-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Most people have the Vikings contending for a Superbowl this year, and rightfully so after their terrific season that was ultimately ruined by Bert's pick to Tracy Porter. But like us they have a much more difficult schedule. And unlike us, they are betting everything on a 41 year old to defy father time for one more season.

Look what happened to the Titans last year with them coming off the leagues best record and Kerry Collins coming off a Pro Bowl season. When it finally goes, it can go fast. I'm not saying it's Brett's time yet, but he is 41 years old and it shouldn't surprise anyone if it's his time to wilt. The Titans waited until they were 0-6 to acknowledge that something was wrong, and by then it was too late. I'm not sure anyone in that Vikings organization has enough of a spine to bench an 0-6 Bert. He is bigger than the team.

Like most everyone else, I expect the Vikings to contend this year - much like the Packers. But unlike the Packers, I think the Vikings are also capable of finishing sub .500. How much fun would that be?

I think there would have to be multiple key injuries for them to finish below .500. Which would make them like any other team then in that respect. As has been said, they have a def that will win them games. And they made the playoffs with TJack and more of a running game so I'm confident in finishing above .500. OL will be better this year, AP will be replaced in short order if the fumbling continues, Chilly will take out BF if he becomes a glaring liability. That last part obviously is subjective so some will argue when the right time is.

If not for a division I think is suspect, I would say NO the most likely candidate to be this year's Titans. Although for some reason I could see NYJ struggle this year too if teams figure out ways to play them.

hoosier
07-20-2010, 12:54 PM
And do this year's Titans have a chance to be last year's Titans?

They would have to finish 2-14, but then they wouldn't be the Titans at all. Why not? Because they would be the Browns.

sharpe1027
07-20-2010, 01:04 PM

Based on?

Brad Childress. I contend, and just about every Vikings fan I know tends to agree, that Vikings success is mostly attributable to Spielman. Not that this necessarily makes true, but the Vikings talk shows constantly complain about him even when they are winning.

Regardless, Childress comes across as a pompous jackhole that has an inflated view of his own importance. This is coming from someone that initially wanted him to succeed because of his link to the Badgers.

SMACKTALKIE
07-20-2010, 01:21 PM

Haynesworth had a great season for the Titans two years ago. Last year the Titans D ranked last or near last in pass D through the first half of the season. The Vikins pass rush is still in tact which will help with the instability at CB.

Peterson and Johnson are two totally different backs.

I think a years worth of tape in the 3-4 for opposing teams to study, the loss of Jolly, possible loss of Harris, rookie safety, and probable game planning around Matthews may make the Packers more prone to a slide from last year.

Scott Campbell
07-20-2010, 02:25 PM

Based on?

His legendary status as the Vikings 12th man...............

.............in the huddle.

cheesner
07-20-2010, 02:25 PM
I think a years worth of tape in the 3-4 for opposing teams to study, the loss of Jolly, possible loss of Harris, rookie safety, and probable game planning around Matthews may make the Packers more prone to a slide from last year.

Packers went from the worst OL I have ever seen to being decent. The improvements there should alone improve an already very good offense. On defense, you can have all the tape you want. Capers continually added twists to the defense as the year went on. I expect them to be even better this season as the players become more accustomed and we get 3 DBs back from injury. The DL should be okay - the loss of Jolly will be offset by the gains of Raji and Neal.

What have the Vikes done? The williams wall is a year older. They drafted a raw CB. They lost a very good RB and replaced with a rookie. Their QB played the season of his career, not sure you can expect that again.

SMACKTALKIE
07-20-2010, 03:05 PM

Packers went from the worst OL I have ever seen to being decent. The improvements there should alone improve an already very good offense. On defense, you can have all the tape you want. Capers continually added twists to the defense as the year went on. I expect them to be even better this season as the players become more accustomed and we get 3 DBs back from injury. The DL should be okay - the loss of Jolly will be offset by the gains of Raji and Neal.

What have the Vikes done? The williams wall is a year older. They drafted a raw CB. They lost a very good RB and replaced with a rookie. Their QB played the season of his career, not sure you can expect that again.

Every coordinator adds twists. Caper's D has traditionally fared worse in their second year than they did in their first.

The Williams are a year older like all players in the NFL, they signed a veteran CB, Chestor Taylor is on the downside of his career, the Viking's O line was banged up all year, and is healthier than it has been since 2008.

Lurker64
07-20-2010, 03:09 PM
My guess for the team who is going to nosedive this year is the Pats. It won't be as far a fall as the Titans, since the Pats were only 10-6 last year, but I could easily see them finishing below .500 and third in their division.

mngolf19
07-20-2010, 04:32 PM

Based on?

Brad Childress. I contend, and just about every Vikings fan I know tends to agree, that Vikings success is mostly attributable to Spielman. Not that this necessarily makes true, but the Vikings talk shows constantly complain about him even when they are winning.

Regardless, Childress comes across as a pompous jackhole that has an inflated view of his own importance. This is coming from someone that initially wanted him to succeed because of his link to the Badgers.

I know of lots of those same dumbass fans as well. This wouldn't be the first time, or place that you will find fans that take a position and hold onto it regardless of the evidence to the contrary. If they don't like the guy, they'll bash him no matter if he wins the SB or not. And most people who call into talk shows fall into this extremist category. You know, the idiots who say I hope they lose so he gets fired. :roll:

Whether he is a pompous jackhole or not, I don't care as long as he wins and keeps troublemakers off the team. Which he seems to be doing. Lots of nice guys out there that lose, plenty of jackholes who win. Denny Green was one too. But I'll take Childress 10 times over compared to Denny. And Denny over anyone who lost.

mngolf19
07-20-2010, 04:34 PM

Based on?

His legendary status as the Vikings 12th man...............

.............in the huddle.

Yeah, like MM being afraid to push for closer fgs at the end of games.

sharpe1027
07-20-2010, 04:49 PM
I know of lots of those same dumbass fans as well. This wouldn't be the first time, or place that you will find fans that take a position and hold onto it regardless of the evidence to the contrary. If they don't like the guy, they'll bash him no matter if he wins the SB or not. And most people who call into talk shows fall into this extremist category. You know, the idiots who say I hope they lose so he gets fired. :roll:

Whether he is a pompous jackhole or not, I don't care as long as he wins and keeps troublemakers off the team. Which he seems to be doing. Lots of nice guys out there that lose, plenty of jackholes who win. Denny Green was one too. But I'll take Childress 10 times over compared to Denny. And Denny over anyone who lost.

We'll see.

When they are winning, there's little to complain about. I get the feeling that if the Vikings have a rough patch of games, the team will turn on him. The Vikings players don't seem to have his back and are usually very diplomatic about what they say. Why is that?

bobblehead
07-20-2010, 05:22 PM
My guess for the team who is going to nosedive this year is the Pats. It won't be as far a fall as the Titans, since the Pats were only 10-6 last year, but I could easily see them finishing below .500 and third in their division.

Agreed, for some unexplainable reason BB, who had a reputation for building from within and having unselfish players, sold out a couple years ago. Trading guys like Seymore, paying Adalius Thomas big money, and bringing in a cancer like Moss. He also lost that special "edge" he had. I see the Pats as less imposing every season.

bobblehead
07-20-2010, 05:24 PM

Based on?

I agree MN...the same kind of fans who watch Brett throw heartbreaking pick after heartbreaking pick and still defend him as the guy who won a superbowl (with the #1 D in the NFL).

pbmax
07-20-2010, 05:25 PM
In one respect (DT), the Vikings could resemble the Titans for four games at least. But it would be temporary even if it happens.

CaliforniaCheez
07-20-2010, 07:49 PM
People have been predicting the downfall of Brett Favre for the last 5 years. Don't count on it.

The weakness of the viklings is their secondary and overall lack of depth on defense. They can be burned in the passing game. If an LB or a D-lineman or 2 goes down the viklings are seriously degraded.

All they have is Brett Favre.

If the Packers lose to the viklings this season the entire blame goes on the coaching staff as it was last season.

Lurker64
07-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Well, rather than predict the downfall of Favre, it wouldn't be too much to predict that instead of a career best year like he had last here, he would probably return closer to average.

Last year's Vikings were 12-4 with two extremely close wins against Baltimore and San Francisco, but Favre last year threw 33 TDs to only 7 INTs. His career averages have been about 28 TDs and 18 INTs. If Favre has an average year for him (which admittedly is very good for most QBs), it wouldn't be a stretch to see the Vikings lose a few more games next year.

Iron Mike
07-20-2010, 08:22 PM

Fixed. :P

CaliforniaCheez
07-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Zero World Championships

Zero George Halas Trophies.

They lost the Ed Thorpe Trophy.

They have nothing. No trophies. No achievements in their 50 years.

What they do have is trophy envy and an intense jealousy of any successful team. They also think the NFL and officials conspire against them.

I always enjoy hearing them cry.

mraynrand
07-21-2010, 01:22 AM

Trey Wingnut?

packerbacker1234
07-21-2010, 05:32 AM
It is true Favre could hit the wall and meet the end of his career. What he did last year was astounding (and was way better than the numbers collins threw up the year prior to last). Still, when they DIDN'T have a QB they were still in the playoffs thanks to that defense and running game. The titans? They made it to the playoffs the year prior due to defense adn running, collins was just a piece of the puzzle. The titans also won a bunc h of games after benching collins because they ran the ball even more. It's not like Vince Young is some amazing passer.

The vikings do have a tougher schedule, and will have to prove they are as good as they were last year. That's a given. Still, to predict such a titantic fall just doesn't seem plausable.

Kerry Collins was never half the quarterback Favre was. Even if favre hits a wall, it's doubtful that it is such a staunch drop off. He wont be as good as last year, not sure you can expect any qb to be that good every single year, but he will be OKAY, and thats good enough or should be to at least get a WC spot.

mngolf19
07-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Zero World Championships

Zero George Halas Trophies.

They lost the Ed Thorpe Trophy.

They have nothing. No trophies. No achievements in their 50 years.

What they do have is trophy envy and an intense jealousy of any successful team. They also think the NFL and officials conspire against them.

I always enjoy hearing them cry.

You've heard no crying from here. I have no trophy envy, and jealousy of successful teams? LOL Officials conspiring, I argued that you guys should stop complaining about that. Way to make crap up.

sharpe1027
07-21-2010, 01:38 PM
You've heard no crying from here. I have no trophy envy, and jealousy of successful teams? LOL Officials conspiring, I argued that you guys should stop complaining about that. Way to make crap up.

You have my respect for standing behind your team, even if it is the damn Vikings. :lol:

mngolf19
07-21-2010, 03:08 PM

You have my respect for standing behind your team, even if it is the damn Vikings. :lol:

back at ya. :)

Iron Mike
07-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Way to make crap up.

http://blackandgold.com/saints/26650-viking-fans-still-whining-lol.html

Yep....totally made up.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100425193439AArnWyg

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100416130704AALtZxq

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2010/5/11/1467910/cry-baby-cry

mngolf19
07-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Way to make crap up.

Yep....totally made up.

Would you like me to copy what's been posted in here concerning the Pack and refs calls?

packerbacker1234
07-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Way to make crap up.

Yep....totally made up.

Would you like me to copy what's been posted in here concerning the Pack and refs calls?

Burn.

Thing is, all fan bases are like this when they feel they got jobbed, or feel they should of won. If the saints lost, they may be bitching about something as well. No matter what happens, if it's a tight contest decided late int he 4th, or in OT, who ever loses is bound to bitch about something, and have a hard time letting it go. ESPECIALLY if it's in the playoffs.

Iron Mike
07-22-2010, 06:24 PM

Yeah, that'd be O.K.........were this a Viking fan forum and someone had opined that Packer fans are a bunch of crybabies and you were attempting to use illustrative examples to contradict my position that they really aren't.

But then, this ISN'T a Queens fan forum, now is it??? :roll:

Scott Campbell
07-22-2010, 06:55 PM
I think the secret to being a happy Vikings fan is lowered expectations. I think they might be cursed.

mngolf19
07-23-2010, 12:54 PM

Yeah, that'd be O.K.........were this a Viking fan forum and someone had opined that Packer fans are a bunch of crybabies and you were attempting to use illustrative examples to contradict my position that they really aren't.

What exactly does the forum have to do with it? And this is a topic concerning the Vikings. Should I say all Pack fans are dbags because I know of some? I say no. But then I forget, this is the internet so anything goes. :roll:

ThunderDan
07-23-2010, 01:27 PM

What exactly does the forum have to do with it? And this is a topic concerning the Vikings. Should I say all Pack fans are dbags because I know of some? I say no. But then I forget, this is the internet so anything goes. :roll:

Because obviously on a Packers forum there will always be bitching about calls that go against GB. So there is really no need to bring up any of the 10+ threads we can all find on this site.

Maybe you were saying that you haven't complained but what you said could easily be thought as that no Vikings fans have whined about bad calls. IronMike gave links so we wouldn't have to google to see the Viking whines that are out there.

mngolf19
07-23-2010, 03:02 PM

Because obviously on a Packers forum there will always be bitching about calls that go against GB. So there is really no need to bring up any of the 10+ threads we can all find on this site.

Maybe you were saying that you haven't complained but what you said could easily be thought as that no Vikings fans have whined about bad calls. IronMike gave links so we wouldn't have to google to see the Viking whines that are out there.

Fair enough. I just don't like when anyone groups people.

Bossman641
07-23-2010, 04:18 PM

Fair enough. I just don't like when anyone groups people.

All Vikings fans are losers that have failed at life and are extremely jealous of the Packers.

:D

packerbacker1234
07-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Actually, it was warranted, because people were complaining about how "funny" the vikings fans are for not letting the NFC Championship game go, but were just as bad ourselves.

It's one of those "pot calling the kettle black" moments, where we really have no right to make fun of how they are reacting, because we all do that for our own team every year.

WHo cares anyways, it's all about 2010 now. The great debate of Packers verse Vikings for the NFC North will begin shortly. Then the Lions suprirse the world and beat them both.

Hey, it happens.

Just never for the Lions.

3irty1
07-24-2010, 01:22 AM
The Vikings will almost certainly be worse this year but not because of the team. I'm not going to bet against Favre to have a good year. That'd be a mistake. Their OL should be improved and Peterson isn't likely to fumble any more often than he did last year. Losing Taylor hurts more than fans are willing to admit but I expect their play to be about the same on offense. The defense will be stout against the run, run up a bunch of sacks and still give up enough big plays through the air to make them look mortal. I expect them to stay about the same too.

They'll get worse the same way we did after our 2007 season. Luck. Everything seemed to bounce the Vikings way last season much the way it did for the Pack in 2007. We were a 10-6 team that went 13-3 and then the next season we were a 10-6 team that went 6-10.

swede
07-24-2010, 08:29 AM
The Vikings will almost certainly be worse this year but not because of the team. I'm not going to bet against Favre to have a good year. That'd be a mistake. Their OL should be improved and Peterson isn't likely to fumble any more often than he did last year. Losing Taylor hurts more than fans are willing to admit but I expect their play to be about the same on offense. The defense will be stout against the run, run up a bunch of sacks and still give up enough big plays through the air to make them look mortal. I expect them to stay about the same too.

They'll get worse the same way we did after our 2007 season. Luck. Everything seemed to bounce the Vikings way last season much the way it did for the Pack in 2007. We were a 10-6 team that went 13-3 and then the next season we were a 10-6 team that went 6-10.

3rty1!

Layin' down the Zen!

Phil O Soff ick Al 3rty1!

Mellowin' out with the Rastafarian Barbarian!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/rob_schneider-1.jpg

SMACKTALKIE
07-24-2010, 05:08 PM

I find in interesting that people point to the loss of Chester as such a huge factor in the Vikings future sucess.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-03-07/sports/ct-spt-0307-bears-pompei-chicago--20100306_1_bears-atogwe-rod-marinelli

Taylor may have low miles on his odometer, but he will be 31 in September. In dog years (which also could be known as running back years) that's 217.

And Taylor already is showing signs of decline, according to two scouts who studied him. Last year, for the first time in his career, he averaged less than four yards per carry.

His teammate Adrian Peterson averaged nearly a full yard per carry more (4.4 to 3.6) with the same line. And running behind an inferior line in a dysfunctional offense, Matt Forte had the same average per carry Taylor did.

I think Toby Gerhart is capable of being a good backup to AD, and Chester will become an overpaid player in Chicago.

CaliforniaCheez
07-25-2010, 02:32 AM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/99171999.html

The viklings haven't signed their 7th round pick yet.

"The Vikings have one of the three remaining unsigned seventh-round picks from the draft. That would be tight end Mickey Shuler, who was taken at No. 214 overall. The players immediately above and below Shuler are signed."

WR Webb is the lone unsigned sixth-rounder from the draft.

"The 199th pick of the draft, Webb is sandwiched between Carolina wide receiver David Gettis, who received a four-year, $1.9 million deal that included a $94,000 signing bonus, and Philadelphia running back Charles Scott, who signed a four-year, $1.8 million deal that included a $91,000 signing bonus."

So if you are the lowest revenue team in the NFl you cannot afford to sign your draft picks. Season ticket sales must not have brought in enough money.

retailguy
07-25-2010, 08:15 AM
I think Toby Gerhart is capable of being a good backup to AD, and Chester will become an overpaid player in Chicago.

I think I agree with this.

Fred's Slacks
07-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Though I'd love to see us run away with the division, I really don't believe that Favre will sudenly fall off the planet after possibly his best season of his career. I hope that as the years go by, the revenge factor begins to fade an maybe the old man won't be as motivated to "stick it to" TT as prior years. I really believe that was the biggest reason why he had such a great year. He was more motivated then ever to show everyone he was still an elite player and more then anything wanted to hurt the ones that "rejected" him (in his opinion).

The Vikings (if Favre returns) will still be one of the elite teams in the league. I just hope we closed the gap with internal growth. Heck, if we stay healthy, I think all we need is some average special teams play and we are right there.

RashanGary
07-25-2010, 11:59 AM
They're really close teams. 12-4, 11-5. Lost NFCC playoff game. Lost Wildcard playoff game.

It's going to come down to a few things. . . .

On our end, will Jones, Raji and Matthews improve their pass rush?
Will the back end of our defense be more on the same page in pass defense?

With the Vikings, can they shore up their pass defense?
Can Favre play well late into the season and playoffs?

I actually think Rodgers is a big key to the division. He has flashes of HOF type QB play. If he can do it for most of next season, it's going to be a huge hinge point for the division.

Health is another key for both teams.

Just going off last year though, the Vikes have a little edge. Like Fred's Slack's said, if our ST's can find some way to be average, we're right on their level, then the tipping point will be Health and Rodgers.

If I had to call odds right now, assuming it's a 2 team division, I'd call it a coin flip. Last year the Vikings got up on us quick and we transformed into a really good team late. This year, I think the battle is going to be a little nastier from start to finish. Should be a fun year. Taking the best 2 teams in any NFC division, I think our is the strongest, so it should be a really exciting year in the NFCN.

RashanGary
07-25-2010, 12:05 PM
To the main point of this thread with the aging QB dropping off fast. . .

There's a chance. If Rodgers comes out of the gate like a gang buster and the Packers get the early lead in the division, I could see Favre melting down and then later in the year breaking down.

There's a chance it goes really wrong for them, but there's a chance it goes really wrong for us too. I see a dog fight, honestly.

RashanGary
07-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Chester was a fantastic 3rd down back last year. Gerhart isn't going to be that type of reliable in the passing game or pass protection aspects as a rookie. He might never be.

Peterson is their bellcow. They don't need another one of those. Chester was the perfect compliment.

They'll miss him, but not that much. I'd worry much more about Favre breaking down or melting down than I would about losing Chester.

SMACKTALKIE
07-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Chester was a fantastic 3rd down back last year. Gerhart isn't going to be that type of reliable in the passing game or pass protection aspects as a rookie. He might never be.

Peterson is their bellcow. They don't need another one of those. Chester was the perfect compliment.

They'll miss him, but not that much. I'd worry much more about Favre breaking down or melting down than I would about losing Chester.

Chester may have been the best 3rd down back in the league last year. He will be tough to replace but Percy Harvin will be a part of filling that void as well as Gerhart.

I was told Chester was a locker room diva and wont be missed in that respect. If that is the case than I have no problem with him going to Chicago.

Scott Campbell
07-25-2010, 03:26 PM
I was told Chester was a locker room diva and wont be missed in that respect.

Yeah, you guys wouldn't want one of those. :roll:

Lurker64
07-25-2010, 07:15 PM
I think that the ultimate reason that the Vikings won't be the Titans this year is that the traditional trajectory of this team during the regular season under Childress is the opposite that the Titans took last year.

Under Brad Childress the Vikings regularly start strong, and then fade towards the end of the season. We saw this even last year when they were a very good team. During the Titans swoon of last year, the Titans started out as bad as you possibly could, and then clawed their way back to respectability. If the Vikings are going to have a disappointing year next year, a better analogy to draw would be the 2009 New York Giants, who started at a torrid 5-0, but went 3-8 down the stretch.

If the Vikings do miss the playoffs next season, it will almost assuredly be because they lose some games late when they shouldn't. Early in the season, they should win all the games that they're supposed to win. Though on paper, the Vikings first eight games don't contain a lot of guaranteed wins (Saints, Dolphins, Lions, Jets, Cowboys, Packers, Cardinals, Bears), as the Saints, Dolphins, Jets, Cowboys, and Packers are all teams with a reasonable shot at the Vikings. So that, coupled with a late season swoon of a couple of games, would be what keeps the Vikings out of the playoffs.

Bossman641
07-26-2010, 08:26 AM
I was told Chester was a locker room diva and wont be missed in that respect.

Yeah, you guys wouldn't want one of those. :roll:

Hahaha. Well played.

Fritz
07-26-2010, 09:17 AM
It's all about who suffers the fewest injuries.

mngolf19
07-26-2010, 12:27 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/99171999.html

The viklings haven't signed their 7th round pick yet.

"The Vikings have one of the three remaining unsigned seventh-round picks from the draft. That would be tight end Mickey Shuler, who was taken at No. 214 overall. The players immediately above and below Shuler are signed."

WR Webb is the lone unsigned sixth-rounder from the draft.

"The 199th pick of the draft, Webb is sandwiched between Carolina wide receiver David Gettis, who received a four-year, $1.9 million deal that included a $94,000 signing bonus, and Philadelphia running back Charles Scott, who signed a four-year, $1.8 million deal that included a $91,000 signing bonus."

So if you are the lowest revenue team in the NFl you cannot afford to sign your draft picks. Season ticket sales must not have brought in enough money.

Vikes are typically one of the last to report to camp so I don't think it's out of the norm to have later signings. They'll likely have all but their 1st signed by start of camp and that one shortly thereafter.

mngolf19
07-26-2010, 12:32 PM
I think that the ultimate reason that the Vikings won't be the Titans this year is that the traditional trajectory of this team during the regular season under Childress is the opposite that the Titans took last year.

Under Brad Childress the Vikings regularly start strong, and then fade towards the end of the season. We saw this even last year when they were a very good team. During the Titans swoon of last year, the Titans started out as bad as you possibly could, and then clawed their way back to respectability. If the Vikings are going to have a disappointing year next year, a better analogy to draw would be the 2009 New York Giants, who started at a torrid 5-0, but went 3-8 down the stretch.

If the Vikings do miss the playoffs next season, it will almost assuredly be because they lose some games late when they shouldn't. Early in the season, they should win all the games that they're supposed to win. Though on paper, the Vikings first eight games don't contain a lot of guaranteed wins (Saints, Dolphins, Lions, Jets, Cowboys, Packers, Cardinals, Bears), as the Saints, Dolphins, Jets, Cowboys, and Packers are all teams with a reasonable shot at the Vikings. So that, coupled with a late season swoon of a couple of games, would be what keeps the Vikings out of the playoffs.

Keep in mind that the losses last year were all on grass until the playoffs. That may be more of a factor than fading down the stretch.

packerbacker1234
07-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Assuming Favre returns...

It's really all on that defense. the vikings almost scored 30 a game last year. If that defense holds their end they will win a lot of games. If not, they are in trouble. Can't expect favre to win it late every single time.

Bretsky
02-25-2011, 12:12 AM

KUDOS

Fritz
02-25-2011, 07:40 AM

Wow, The wisdom.

mission
02-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Wow, The wisdom.

Lol you meant "whoever suffers the most will end up beating the team who suffered the least to go to the Super Bowl"?

retailguy
02-25-2011, 08:47 AM

BUMP!

That one is for Madtown. ;)

Well, you opined yesterday that you always sounded "pretty smart" when you went back and read old threads. This one, not so much. But honestly, last July, I agreed with you! I really thought their run was winding down.

Little Whiskey
02-25-2011, 08:57 AM

good call on the queens record.

SkinBasket
02-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Wow, The wisdom.

Ha! Awesome. Way to take it like a man.

get louder at lambeau
02-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

Wow, The wisdom.

Well, the team with the least injuries won the NFC North, so you weren't WAY off. The Packers were an anomaly. An ass-kicking anomaly.

pbmax
02-25-2011, 11:12 AM
In one respect (DT), the Vikings could resemble the Titans for four games at least. But it would be temporary even if it happens.

Off by 16 games ...

pbmax
02-25-2011, 11:13 AM
What we need is the thread where we reviewed Capers 2nd year defenses at each of his stops. I think it was close to unanimous that the D would struggle more this year.

vince
02-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah that was mine. I was looking for reasons the trend would be broken and Harvey came up with some as I recall. I don't think anyone saw a switch to a nickel-based defense being such a big part of the answer.

vince
02-25-2011, 01:34 PM
I remember from that thread being really confident that the offense would be a model of consistency and the defense was the source of concern. While this team DID go as far as the defense took it, it didn't happen quite in the way I anticipated. I need to stop being such a skeptic.