PDA

View Full Version : Favre in the record books.

Patler
04-09-2006, 09:43 AM
The significant career records he does not hold already:

PASSING YARDS
1 Dan Marino 61,361
2 Brett Favre 53,615 (needs 7,746 yds to tie)
3 John Elway 51,475

TD PASSES
1 Dan Marino 420
2 Brett Favre 396 (needs 24 TDs to tie)
3 Fran Tarkenton 342

PASSING ATTEMPTS
1 Dan Marino 8,358
2 Brett Favre 7,574 (needs 784 attempts to tie)
3 John Elway 7,250

COMPLETIONS
1 Dan Marino 4,967
2 Brett Favre 4,678 (needs 289 completions to tie)
3 John Elway 4,123

VICTORIES AS STARTING QUARTERBACK
1 John Elway 148
2 Dan Marino 147
3 Brett Favre 139 (needs 9 wins to tie)

Two more seasons and he would hold them all, except maybe total yards passing. That one is a bit "ify" even for 2 more seasons, although in 2004-2005 he has had 7,969 yards, enough to get it. Had he won a few more games and thrown just a few more TD passes last year, and he very likely would get the victories, TD passes and completions records in 2006 if he plays. The completions record could be his in 2006, he has never had fewer than 300 as a Packer.

Harlan Huckleby
04-09-2006, 09:49 AM
well, if you look at most records, the leaders are bunched closely at the top, and "two more years" would push any of the top 5 into first place.

Your point is valid, i'm just saying that if every star athlete focused on the records they could eclipse by staying 2 more years, none would retire.

GBRulz
04-09-2006, 09:50 AM
well, if there is one person hoping Brett retires, I'm sure it's Marino !!

Thanks for posting that, shamrock

b bulldog
04-09-2006, 10:19 AM
What about most interceptions :smile:

b bulldog
04-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Or most importantly, the most Lombardi's!

Patler
04-09-2006, 10:23 AM
well, if you look at most records, the leaders are bunched closely at the top, and "two more years" would push any of the top 5 into first place.

Your point is valid, i'm just saying that if every star athlete focused on the records they could eclipse by staying 2 more years, none would retire.

Geez, did I say he was focusing on records? No I did not. All I was pointing out is that Favre is very close to every significant career mark he doesn't hold. Physically, he can still throw the ball, so in that regard they are within his reach.

You are absolutely WRONG in stating that, "if every star athlete focused on the records they could eclipse by staying 2 more years, none would retire." Many hang around until they are lousy performers. Many hang around to the point that it would take them 4 years to accumulate stats equal to their career averages for one or two years. Based on his career average, Willie Mays was within 2 years of Ruth's homerun record. Realistically, when he retired, Mays was not capable of getting the record anymore.

Favre is not in that situation. Favre is still capable of putting up passing stats close to his career averages. Thus, he truly is within a year or two of all the records.

Patler
04-09-2006, 10:32 AM
What about most interceptions :smile:

Yes, he is within two years of that career mark too, as well as some others I did not list.

Patler
04-09-2006, 10:51 AM
I also think it is interesting when looking at Marino's career and Favre's career to look at games played.

Marino played 17 seasons and 242 games. He started as a rookie.
Favre has played 15 seasons and 225 games, although the season and two games he played in Atlanta were somewhat meaningless.

Favre has actually thrown TD passes slightly more frequently on a per game average than Marino did. He has also been better at throwing TDs on a per passing attempt average. Marino is slightly better in yards per attempt, and almost a full yard better in yards per completion. Favre is over two percentage points higher in completion percentage than Marino.

Not a lot of difference overall between the two.

Fritz
04-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Here's one area in which Favre has already passed Marino and Elway: interceptions.

Favre 255
Marino 252
Elway 226

Patler
04-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Here's one area in which Favre has already passed Marino and Elway: interceptions.

Favre 255
Marino 252
Elway 226

To be fair and complete, Favre has passed Elway in just about every QB statistic there is except most victories as a starter. He was on pace to pass him on that one too, until last year. Elway has 148 wins in 231 stars. Favre has 139 wins in 221 starts. Until last year Favre had won almost 66% of his starts. Elway won 64% of his starts over his career.

Bretsky
04-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Marino stayed around for about two years too long; he was horrific that last year and could hardly throw the ball 40 yards. He's probably happy he did because he does like those records.

I have a selfish feeling on this, but I want to see Favre bring a lot of those records down.

Patler
04-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Marino stayed around for about two years too long; he was horrific that last year and could hardly throw the ball 40 yards. He's probably happy he did because he does like those records.

I have a selfish feeling on this, but I want to see Favre bring a lot of those records down.

I would like to see so as well, but I'm not sure it is in the cards, so to speak.

I agree about Marino hanging around too long.

woodbuck27
04-09-2006, 03:15 PM
well, if there is one person hoping Brett retires, I'm sure it's Marino !!

Thanks for posting that, shamrock

I've observed Dan Marino speaking very well of Brett Favre and another AFC Guy Terry Bradshaw is almost in awe of Favre. Now Marino could very well be just postering, but he seems to like Favre?

Does anyone ever think that alot of this media hype as to" the bad Brett " may have something to do with the NFL Conference rivalry? Brett does own the NFC Record book but maybe some want that to stop there?

GBRulz
04-09-2006, 09:06 PM
woodbuck, did you happen to see marino rip into Favre when Ferguson got clothslined?? He ripped into Favre saying it was all his fault because of where he threw the ball. and that he puts his receivers in danger, blah blah blah.

Sounded like sour grapes to me.