PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Want a 3rd for Lelie, would you do it?

BallHawk
08-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Personally, I don't think Lelie is worth a 3rd rounder, but it looks like the rest of the league doesn't think so either. According to the ESPN Rumor Mill the most the Broncos have been offered for Lelie is a 4th. So how about the Packers offer the Broncos a fith rounder and Ferguson. Lelie is anything but certain to pan out, but like Porter he's one year removed form his best season. In 2004 Lelie had a 1,000 yard 7 TD season. If I had my pick of receivers between Lelie and Porter I'd pick Porter, but it looks like the Raiders asking price is gonna be much more than the Broncos. I don't know the contract status on these guys, but I think Lelie, if at the right price, could be a decent pickup. At the least, he'd be our #3 Wide Receiver, depending on how Jennings continues to do. I don't know if he still thinks he's gonna be a #1 WR somewhere, but if TT could somehow pick him up, I'd feel a lot better about our receiving corps.

GBRulz
08-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Good call about a trade of Fergie for Lelei

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Lelie isn't great, but he might be worth a 4th round pick, but it all depends where his head is at. If he's just looking to get out of Denver, maybe it works. If he's looking to become a #1 receiver, then stay away from him. Lelie is from Hawaii. I'm not sure how much he'd enjoy playing in Green Bay.

run pMc
08-03-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm (obviously) not a pro scout, but I don't really think Lelie is a good fit for the WCO...he's a deep route speed guy. I never got the impression that his short & medium route running was very good. Seems like Rod Smith ran a lot of those routes.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think we'd be better off keeping Fergie. Both Lelie and Ferguson seem to disappear, and at least Fergie can play ST. Also, Fergie has shown he will play hurt; don't know about Lelie.

Maybe GB personnel will take a look and consider Lelie, but I doubt it. Even then, I'd be shocked if they offered more than a 4th or 5th. Maybe we could sign him and use him as a deep threat to open the short & middle routes, but defenses would actually have to respect him first.

Porter is a better WR, but an even bigger head case. After the Mckenzie & JWalker sagas, and now Al Harris making noise, we don't need any more squawkers.

Creepy
08-03-2006, 09:57 AM
You just don't get it. It isn't just a 3d round pick, Lelie wants a new deal. Anyteam that gets him will have the same problem Denver has. he wants more money. The trade does not go through unless th player reports, so that means the team that trades will have to be ready to spend some money. As one person has already mentioned, if we are giving him the money, we should have given it to Walker first. GB has set themselves up withthe cap to re-sign players and extend contracts using 06 money, why waste it on Lelie.

run pMc
08-03-2006, 10:06 AM
I agree with Creepy & others have said -- we'd have been better off forking the $$$ to Javon. At least he's shown he can play in the WCO and (if healthy) is worth it. Can't say the same for Lelie. Giving up lotsa $$$ and a draft pick (which is like gold to TT) for Lelie seems foolish.

BallHawk
08-03-2006, 10:37 AM
If we have to give up money no way. And an interesting tidbit, Ashley Lelie's middle name is Jovon.

ahaha
08-03-2006, 10:48 AM
I know we need some receiver help, but the thought of Denver screwing us on another trade this year makes me sick. Walker for only a second rounder, and they want a third for this schmo?!?!

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 10:55 AM
# 85 Ashley Lelie Position: WR Height: 6-3 Weight: 200
Born: 02/16/1980 College: Hawaii NFL Experience: 5

RECEIVING

Year Team G.. GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+
02 Broncos 16.. 1... 35... 525 ...15.0.. 48... 2... 9 ..... 3
03 Broncos 16.. 10..37... 628....17.0... 60... 2... 11......5
04 Broncos 16.. 16..54...1084....20.1.. 58...7.....21......5
05 Broncos 16.. 13..42... 770.... 18.3.. 56...1.....12......5
TOTAL ......64.. 40..168..3007....17.9.. 60..12....53..... 18

WR Rod Smith of course, is the go to guy in Denver. Ashley Lelie feels he can contribute more, and now that Javon Walker is in Denver, the two top WR's are Smith and Walker, relegating Lelie to #3 WR at best, so he's upset.

Ashley Lelie has had 12 TD receptions in his career to date, but he plays in an Offense that emphasizes the run. WR Rod Smith has been the workhorse - go to guy, when the Bronco's go to the air.

I'm a little surprised that Mike Shanahan would give him up for a 4th round draft pick (ONLY) as he seemed to have his sights set higher. ie a straight up swap with the Bears for RB Thomas Jones. (Haha) You have to appreciate that fox - Shanahan.

In the 2002 Draft. The Bronco's picked Ashley Lelie with the 19th pickin round one. We chose next and selected Javon Walker at pick 20.

I feel trading a 4th for him merits serious consideration but T2 and MM have to first realisticall assess what we have in TC at WR and ask themselves would getting Lelie be prudent. After Donald Driver who is showing up on some consistent basis? I'm not seeing alot of that to date in OUR TC, but it's early. Where is the consistency and REAL hope? Rod Gardner,Boerigter and Ferguson are all playing like they have already made the Roster. That isn't what MM has been telling us would take place in this TC. We were promised competitions (FIGHT's) at all positions. Yea yea yea!!

Ashley Lelie has good height and size. He is only 26 years old. He led the NFL in yards/reception last season. He is lost in a run oriented offense.

If I could swap Robert Ferguson for him straight up (hahahaha). . .I'm all over that. TT loves his draft picks but he has to ask himself if he could get better out of the 4th round in a WR next year? I don't see that!

Robert Ferguson is not likely to suddenly get there for us. Maybe all he needs is a new home? I would offer a 4th round pick for Lelie and if Shanahan pushes for more . . .

I'd ask. . ."What do you have in mind - Mike ?" I'd consider his response but offer. . .

1.) As a first option: Robert Ferguson.

2.) As a second option: A 4th round pick

3.) If I decided that Lelie was going to be a need/fit in Green bay? I'd shoot the load - say " OK Mike - the 4th and Robert Ferguson for Ashley Lelie" and TC is in progress so do we deal?". .

DON"T SCREW AROUND !

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 11:02 AM
You just don't get it. It isn't just a 3d round pick, Lelie wants a new deal. Anyteam that gets him will have the same problem Denver has. he wants more money. The trade does not go through unless th player reports, so that means the team that trades will have to be ready to spend some money. As one person has already mentioned, if we are giving him the money, we should have given it to Walker first. GB has set themselves up withthe cap to re-sign players and extend contracts using 06 money, why waste it on Lelie.

I havn't research'd what you are saying Creepy, but if that is the case. . .forget Ashley Lelie.

Dam! I waisted way too much time on that last post, if that is the case. :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS !

Creepy
08-03-2006, 11:17 AM
IUfevryone ooks at the situation, Lelie wanted mmore money at the begining of this year. Like Walker he felt he was bing under paid, even though he has had one above average year. Liek Walker he stated he would never play in Denver unless they sweetened the deal.

Shanahan went out and got Walker. lelie now nows he is doomed to be at best #2 but more likely the #3 WR. Denver reworked Walkers contract so you know they are not giving money to Lelie. Now he sits athome darwing fines and crying. Shanhan is in the driver seat and won't tarde unless he gets a #3 or better for him. Teams that get Lelie will have to negotiate a new contract as that is what Lelie wants, MORE MONEY.

So lelie will cost somebody a 3 or lower draft choice and money to get. I say he isn't worth it, as he has not excelled at the WR position.

Now if GB for some reason gets him, they should cut Ferguson and use some of his 1.5M salary from this year to help sign Lelie. IMO, Lelei is not worth it unless he signs an incentive laiden contract.

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Creepy:

Robert Ferguson will likely remain in Green Bay for one more season.I certainly believe that T2 wants to see him in a couple of Pre Season games to further assess his real value to us. We know that he can play ST's and I think he could work out as a slot receiver for the out pass and run and work the slant play.

For some DAM reason he won't fight for the ball deep in coverage and being the physical WR he can be I'm puzzle'd at his quit on the ball deep. Maybe Favre and the WR 's Coach can reach him in TC? It has to happen soon.

Robert Ferguson is walking the line now and tipping over to out ! He's got to give of himself to the team. :idea: Something I believe is in him, but. . . .

He's a real mystery to us. :?:

KEEP THE FAITH - PACKERS IN 2006 !!

woodbuck27
08-18-2006, 01:52 AM
Latest on the Ashley Lelie Trade talks:

Mon, 14 Aug 2006 06:01:31 -0700

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports while the rumors continue to circulate about the Baltimore Ravens' interest in Denver Broncos WR Ashley Lelie, Ravens' rookie WR Demetrius Williams keeps showing promise as a rookie receiver.

Williams had three catches for a team-leading 43 yards in the preseason opener.

"I would have loved to see him make that catch in the end zone," head coach Brian Billick said of a pass that sailed behind Williams. "That would have capped a brilliant night. He's making great strides, and he's showing he's capable of making those plays."

Broncos | Nothing appears imminent with Lelie
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 05:55:47 -0700

Bill Williamson, of the Denver Post, reports while trade talks involving Denver Broncos WR Ashley Lelie continue, no deal appears imminent. Lelie, a holdout, has amassed $210,000 in fines for missing training camp so far.

also:

Eagles | Team on the list for Lelie; already reportedly turned down one trade
Sun, 13 Aug 2006 21:54:43 -0700

John Nalbone, of the Trenton Times, reports the Philadelphia Eagles reportedly are on a short list of teams in the running for Denver Broncos holdout WR Ashley Lelie. According to Comcast SportsNet, the Eagles and Chicago Bears are the teams on that list,

but the Eagles already have rebuffed the Broncos' first demand, backup TE Matt Schobel, in exchange for Lelie.

As previously reported, the Broncos have given Lelie and his agent, Peter Schaffer, permission to seek a trade. However, if he does not report to camp Monday, Aug. 14, Lelie's hiatus will have cost him $266,000.

Comment: woodbuck27

Fines running over a quarter of a Million SMACKERS !! Must be nice to be "a wanna be #1 WR" in the NFL.

He's at over $300,000.00 in Fines today.

woodbuck27
08-18-2006, 02:08 AM
This from http://www.rotoworld.com/content/fea...FL&columnid=71

Broncos wideout Ashley Lelie could benefit from Koren Robinson’s struggles.

The Vikings had a below-average receiver group before losing K-Rob and will look to upgrade. Interest in Lelie could pick up shortly with Philadelphia, Minnesota, Chicago, and San Francisco all trolling for wideouts.

Lelie is the most likely target in Minnesota because he is familiar with the West Coast offense. I don’t think he’s a great fit though. Lelie has a very similar skill set to speedy second-year pro Troy Williamson. They are deep threats with unrefined complete games.

Williamson will be called Minnesota’s “number one” receiver, but that’s like calling Reche Caldwell New England’s “number one receiver” in training camp. Who cares?

Williamson is a 22-year-old with raw football skills that would do well to approach 700-800 yards in his second season. Expect inconsistency. We did improve Williamson’s projection after K-Rob’s news, and he’s now our No. 50 fantasy wideout, just behind Michael Jenkins and Samie Parker, roughly an eleventh-round grade.

For now, Minnesota will ask Travis Taylor to start opposite Williamson. Taylor is a reliable receiver who can put up 50 catches and 600 yards, but he’s a better option coming off the bench. He’s not someone to draft in fantasy leagues and neither is teammate Marcus Robinson. The former Raven is good for one monster game per season and a few scores, but he’s too inconsistent and injury-prone to select.

Packers4Glory
08-18-2006, 03:57 AM
screw it..not now...not w/ Jennings looking so promising. I say unless they can get Porter, go w/ what they have and lets let Jennings grow and get experience.

packrulz
08-18-2006, 05:33 AM
Aug 15 Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports New York Jets WR Justin McCareins, who landed in head coach Eric Mangini's doghouse when he failed his conditioning test to start camp, appears to still be there and may emerge as trade bait as the Jets continue their search for help at running back and nose tackle. McCareins has lost his starting job to WR Jerricho Cotchery. McCareins did not even work with the second-team offense at practice Tuesday, Aug. 15.

Maybe TT could trade Davenport even up for McCareins.

the_idle_threat
08-18-2006, 06:17 AM
Good God ... we can only dream. At this point, I'd trade Davenpoop for a bag of Fritos. I don't even like Fritos.

vince
08-18-2006, 07:02 AM
Someone on this board has a quote from Ted Thompson in their sig about valuing "football players."

It's a great quote, and it might as well have Ashley Lelie's name written all over it.

Lelie is the epitome of the guy who looks great on paper - fast, big, etc. but is a PUSSY on the field. He disappears for games at a time, cries about his contract, holds out because he's not good enough to be the #1 receiver and is not someone Thompson wants on this team - at any price.

And I agree with him on that.

digitaldean
08-18-2006, 07:31 AM
GB just got rid of a headcase in Javon Walker.

We'd be getting a lesser quality of WR but with the same ego problems.

They shouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

TheRaven
08-18-2006, 08:02 AM
His value is not even close to a 3rd rounder at this point. I wouldn't give up anything more than a 6th at this point.

Bretsky
08-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Lelie is heads and heals above Ferguson or Gardner; if he had a better attitude I'd give up a 4th in a heartbeat. But as pointed out he wants the big money and he's probably not worth the risk of a big deal.....even though we are sitting on 7 MIL

Astonishment
08-18-2006, 08:12 AM
I like Lelie, but he really doesn't fit this system. Plus the one thing that Lelie will never be accused of is being consistant, and consistancy is really what the Packers will need this year out of their WR's (outside of Driver of corse).

Badgepack
08-18-2006, 08:50 AM
I would rather see the Pack go with a hungry, trying to prove themself, youngster like Ruvell Martin, than bring in another whiney ass bitch who thinks they deserve big money, without ever earning it on the field year after year.

BooHoo
08-18-2006, 09:45 AM
GB just got rid of a headcase in Javon Walker.

We'd be getting a lesser quality of WR but with the same ego problems.

They shouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

I would be also concerned about the "headcase" issue with LeLie.

woodbuck27
08-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Here's a RANT for you.

WR Ashley Lelie is a straight downfield speed receiver. He wants the limelight, and I have "no fault" with him there, but he's demonstrated he's not a multi-purpose threat, as a one dimensional WR.

Straight downfield fast and deep and then deeper.

He's not a great fit in OUR new WCO - whatever that will be? can't wait to see that. I don't want Brett Favre throwing deep, except rarely. He has to think - think - think. .PRACTISE PATIENCE or Mike McCarthy will stone his butt. Brett Favre is - as set up - as any popular/star PRO player I've ever seen. Is it do this or els? it could well be "just that".

Why don't I like what i'm seeing Packer fans? You ask yourselves that question. sorry i can't always wera my HAPPY face but DAMN IT - I'll never give up on the PACKERS !!! Bank on that as long as i'm here -

I'm here for alot more than woodbuck27. I'm here for ALL of YOU.

The RANT Continues. . .

The writing is on the wall and McCarthy is also spelled - IRISH !!! Meaning don't SCREW with him !!!! Mike Shanahan - also Irish, and who screws with him?? Irish means passion and sometimes that gets to stubborness and HOT. Bad temperment no - but all the same. . . ANGER !!!! Irish can be difficult to deal with but with the bad comes good as well. :mrgreen:

See that :mrgreen: That is really me. That is my disposittion 95% of the time as an Irishman. I'm a trip. I'm OK. I have an awesome outlook on life and a great sense of the Ha ha !!! It's the only way to float these dark days, friends.

Otherwise, you get all anal and uptight, and eventually will "in fact" go insane or suffer dimentia. Ever read the stat's on that subject?? LIFE takes most people to a state of incompetence and that won't ever be me.DAM i hate the thought of being back in diapers,LOL. :mrgreen:

Ohhhh Rant on Football continues. . .

Lelie's decision to balk - has to date, placed him at risk, to be fined over $300 G's, and that will become over $600 G's if this continues at the completion of TC. . . The real issue according to Bronco fans - is more money. Lelie wants more Doe-Ray-Me to be a #3 WR????

Good Luck !! To his agent. :mrgreen:

That means he won't come cheap all around, with cost to OUR CAP and a high draft pick (and a defensive line player would win the deal but is it worth it ?

NO WAY !!!

From my view - NO !!! Now Ted may, go right out and get him,LOL.

Who knows what Ted will do? Excuse me Packer fans, as I havn't one ioda of a realistic read on Ted Thompson, and I am dreadfully analytical. I'm a Capricorn and very statistically mathematically minded. A strong engineering background and an Educator - I have a minor in Math and loved teaching Math.

Trainer/Teacher/instructor/Fascilitator . . but I spent most of my LIFE as a troubleshooter.

I'm also a crusader for TRUTH and RIGHT for the majority. I am always for the underdog - the little guy and that began at 5 year's of age, growing up in a very tough environment. Having to fight for my very existence. Thank GOD I'm Irish.

RANTING . . .GOOD !!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Will "the Broncos" play hardball? I'm getting it - that that fine, isn't enforced by the NFL but rather mandated by the Organization.

Ashly Lelie's agent has to take care of business there, and fans are saying that his agent isn't exactly playing it smart, but someone will have Lelie on the field this season, but only when Shanahan gets the deal he expects or. . . it will be something different.

I've watched both the Ashley Lelie and Jerry Porter developments closely because a division rival could well strengthen by adding either of these WR's. I'm selfish.if a NFCNort rival grabs an available talent and "even on paper" improves their "only hopes" I wonder what happened that my Packer GM sat pat. Is that really weird?

That player must hopefully (the operative word) fulfill the promise of his acquisition - weighed against the realistic upside of any deal. I trust that Ted Thompson has that well in hand regarding Lelie and Porter.

He's done his checks and balances. He has a DAM clue.

Porter or Lelie?

EASY !! Jerry Porter for my way of seeing things. I'm selfish for Brett Favre too.

Porter or Lelie?

Jerry Porter is the money player. Yes - I'd like him in the Green and GOLD. Holy Mackeral!! I'd be pumped to see that happen. Yet, I'm the idiot that wanted Ted Thompson to bring in Terrell Owens too. Again selfishness on my part for Brett Favre but the packers are BIGGER.

Terrell Owens?

Now - I'm just content to see how he develops in Dallas. Not all is well there at this time. Bill Parcells is not a happy camper according to the late night sports here last night. Big report on Parcells - and he's pissed angry. That's Bill Parcells, LOL.

Wondering. . . Is that an Irish name? Parcells, ummm??

it's not all to do with Terrell Owens (necessarily - T.O. detractor's) as he re-habs . . . but certainly about Bill's demands for on field leadership. Some heat there on QB Drew Bledsoe. Watch for backup QB Tony Romo ( to maybe ) get some time this season, as the OL has to be solid to enable Drew Bledsoe -

He's not Brett Favre Packer fans, rather, as I expect you know - a pure pocket passer.

The OL in Dallas as well as OUR's - is under the gun, and they are looking seriously at Ashley Lelie with Terry Glenn and Patrick Crayton as #1 or #2 and #3 with T.O. in that mix of course once he returns. T.O. is being T.O. and rehabbing with his OWN people.

mmmm Yup he's different.

Other teams in the need for a WR are reported in posts from last night on this thread.

This can be a fun hobby and amusing as well to watch. These trade scenario's intrigue me, and I learn alot about the other teams specifics on players around the NFL, and their fans. It's fun. :mrgreen:

By the way.This Forum has a special group of fans.I am being so honest here.Let's keep up the packer support through one another and ditch the ego crap. Don't attack me. I'm a Canadian. i havn't a clue about the NFL or football. I have so much to learn. ALL the real experts on this Forum need to teach me alot more. You've been there but I'm starvin'. :mrgreen:

Packers and Ashley Lelie? NO to Lelie from my view.

We need a multi-purpose versatile WR and a man that can be content coming off the bench and making the HUGE play. Lelie wants to be what he's not. A #1 WR !!!

Yes - he led the NFL ,in yards per catch, but he doesn't score. He is fast and he's got the size that Mike McCarthy, said once that wants. He gets behind defenses and will catch the long pass, but after that. . . face in the dirt.Besides that - I don't want Favre going too verticle.

I want Brett favre to be patient, and take yards on the run if he steps up in the pocket and his men are covered.Toss the feet towords that goaline and grab 5 yards and slide with feet downfield.Don'y run like najeh Davenport.

That reminds me of the beach boys famous song. . . " Wipeout "

and Brett Favre can't force too many pass's. He'll force pass's. He's Brett Favre and he still zips them. Yet the defensive basks are sitting back there waiting - waiting. . .

Brett Favre.The best arm we'll see in Green Bay for maybe the next 20 -30 years. The BEST heart too !!!!

I'll say this again. Favre and Donald Driver and Jerry Porter. . . MONEY !!!!! Ted Thompson won't give us that. I write that as " the Devil's Advocate ".

Give us that Ted !!!! No !?!?!! . . . and it's because. . . . .

Then I come back to earth . . and I see it all. I think. . . We are in schitt, LOL, " up to the eyeballs " with OUR OL. How did it get so DAM ugly ???

Time - Oh yea. Time after 2006 !!! As Packer fans, we'll survive it. I'm not so sure about OUR QB's and RB's? What a mess today but who knows about what we'll see after "the falcons but whatever that is only one more preseason game.

There is even now speculation that Shanahan may play hardball but that's not real given that the bronco's are a contender and Shanahann wants to take a step closer to that reality of another Super Bowl.

As an NFL fan this stuff interests me. I just try to learn. I am not - never been, "all jacked up' for Ted Thompson to definitely bring in Ashley Lelie - and even though I feel he's better athletic wise than what we have in terms of ** WR's FA - Rod Gardner, OUR Vet Robet Ferguson and FA Marc Boerigter - to date in this off season and TC - if I was Ted Thompson I'd not touch him. Ted "by all reports did look at Lelie and he and s
Shanahan disagree'd about the price Vs. the benefits of Ashley Lelie in Green Bay. Now that was a few weeks ago.
Ranting!!!

** these three WR's are way behind the front runner's at WR. Donald Driver, Greg Jennings (and YES !!! Ruvell Martin).

We need a fella that can play the slot, and run good routes and be sure handed on slants as I thought I saw in Robert Ferguson in the past. DAM he was coming before that viscious - Donovan Darius - take your head off shot.

Has that taken the heart away from Robert Ferguson or were we all caught up in his personal hype. He did come to us with such upside - promise but he's not delivered any better, than being a #3 WR, and he isn't at all there this season to date. maybe he'll get there as if he's cut i'll be surprised.He works hard and he has ST value to us, if he willl go there?

Rod Gardner has this great opportunity with us now and maybe he'll play better?

There - RANT is over !!! That felt GREAT ! :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH PACKER FANS !!

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2006, 01:29 PM
I wish I had time to read that, Woody. I don't.

Zool
08-18-2006, 02:38 PM
I wish I had time to read that, Woody. I don't.

Wordy

BooHoo
08-18-2006, 03:24 PM
I'll read it tonight as late night reading.