PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line - 45 and 53 player rosters.

CaliforniaCheez
07-20-2010, 07:39 PM
If you look at the 45 man game roster you have 8 Offensive linemen.

A healthy Tauscher, Sitton, Wells, Colledge, Clifton as starters.

3 back ups Lang RT, Spitz the middle 3 positions and Bulaga LT.

That probably leaves one more player on the 53 player squad. Either Barbre or Deitrich-Smith to make it but not play. Neither is eligible for the practice squad. Unless the Packers keep 10 O-linemen one will be cut.

Giacomini and the draft pick Newhouse are practice squad eligible and likely to be there.

There is always a chance a rookie free agent will beat out Giacomini for a practice squad spot.

All subject to change due to injury.

retailguy
07-20-2010, 07:44 PM
I don't believe Newhouse gets cut, and I don't believe that Colledge is going to have that easy of a time earning the starting position.

I don't believe that both Colledge and Spitz make the roster.

I think it's possible that one of our veteran tackles don't make the roster.

I think it's put up, or shut up time for Evan Detrich-Smith.

I think that Alan Barbre is a goner.

Joemailman
07-20-2010, 10:29 PM
I think TT keeps the veterans as he has a chance to win it all this year.

Top 8 are Clifton, Colledge, Wells, Sitton, Tauscher, Bulaga, Spitz, Lang

Best bet for #9 is EDS. Giaco may have a chance with a great camp.

Newhouse and McDonald to the PS.

hoosier
07-21-2010, 07:52 AM
I would expect TT to keep 10, not 9. Starters = Cliffy, Colledge, Wells, Sitton, Tauscher. Reserves = Spitz, Lang, Bulaga (active); Newhouse and EDS

Joemailman
07-21-2010, 05:45 PM
I've considered 10, but they usually keep 9, I believe. With the age of Clifton and Tauscher, and with Colledge and Spitz in the last year of their contracts, 10 is a possibility. Defense though, is where I think they would like to keep some extra people.

sharpe1027
07-21-2010, 05:57 PM
There will be even less room this year because they will be keeping 4 FBs. Just think how good the special teams will be then!

packerbacker1234
07-21-2010, 07:47 PM
I don't believe Newhouse gets cut, and I don't believe that Colledge is going to have that easy of a time earning the starting position.

I don't believe that both Colledge and Spitz make the roster.

I think it's possible that one of our veteran tackles don't make the roster.

I think it's put up, or shut up time for Evan Detrich-Smith.

I think that Alan Barbre is a goner.

Of the two veteran tackles we have, tackles the packers made a point of this offseason making sure were back on our roster for a run, you are saying one of them wont make it? What? The tackels that, when both healthy last year, were major reasons the offensive lined turned it around?

Tackles who are still pretty good? Tackles who are slotted as starters until proven otherwise? I just don't see one of them getting cut. The packers made a strong point to bring back clifton to at least get one or two more productive years out of him before giving the rookie a solid chance at the starting spot, and taucher showed his skills last year when he took over - yes Lang looked good at RT, but he didn't look as good as Tauch, and I doub that changes this year.

I think we keep 9 linemen, and I will put money on it that both our veteran tackles are part of that, and even more money they are both week 1 starters, barring injury.

hoosier
07-21-2010, 08:52 PM
I've considered 10, but they usually keep 9, I believe. With the age of Clifton and Tauscher, and with Colledge and Spitz in the last year of their contracts, 10 is a possibility. Defense though, is where I think they would like to keep some extra people.

Possibly. And I don't have any recollection of how many OL the Packers have kept on the roster in recent years. But TT has shown a tendency to keep what he considers promising OL even when they're not ready to play (Coston, Barbre, Giacomini...). Maybe once--if--they identify who their starting five are and stop the shuffling then the developmental projects will no longer be so appealing to TT. But until that happens I would expect him to keep more rather than fewer.

Freak Out
07-21-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm telling you.....this is the year Colledge shows you what a bad ass he is.

Gunakor
07-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Clifton/Colledge/Wells/Sitton/Tauscher start. That's almost a given at this point IMO.

Bulaga and Lang are backups at tackle, Spitz and Newhouse are backups on the interior.

If they keep a 10th OL on the roster, it'll probably be Barbre. EDS and Gia are on their way out. Those 2 would really have to show something special to make the squad again this year.

And to be honest, I doubt Barbre makes the squad either. I think they go with 9 to start the season. That's what I'd do if it were me calling the shots. I'd rather have that roster spot available for an extra LB that could be a huge asset on special teams, or an extra WR/RB/CB with kick/punt return ability.

rbaloha1
07-22-2010, 11:30 AM

lol. Although Colledge generally responds to challenges. Hoping Newhouse claims the spot.

retailguy
07-22-2010, 12:55 PM

Your Alaska bias has clouded your brain. He's already showed us what he is, and that isn't likely to change.

HarveyWallbangers
07-22-2010, 01:04 PM
I don't know what to make of Colledge. He was up and down his first couple of years. He was good in 2008. He wasn't nearly as good in 2009. Hope we get the good Colledge.

BTW, I don't think it's a given that Colledge starts over Spitz. I've always liked Spitz, when he's healthy, a tad more than Colledge. He's more consistent.

Freak Out
07-22-2010, 02:11 PM

Your Alaska bias has clouded your brain. He's already showed us what he is, and that isn't likely to change.

That's not the only thing that's clouded my brain. :D

I'm just hoping the guy turns it around. If he continues to suck give him the boot....we need a healthy QB.