PDA

View Full Version : Negotiate Bulaga's Contract :)

Tony Oday
07-22-2010, 08:38 PM
I am guessing 5 year $15.3 million with $8.1 million guarenteed.

digitaldean
07-22-2010, 08:41 PM
That seems right. And the Packers would get more value out of Bulaga at that price than the Rams' $50million for SamIAm Bradford.....

Tony Oday
07-22-2010, 08:47 PM
That seems right. And the Packers would get more value out of Bulaga at that price than the Rams' $50million for SamIAm Bradford.....

He is a bust.

hoosier
07-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Dez Bryant went one pick after Bulaga and just signed for 5years/$11.8M with 8.5M guaranteed. That might turn out to be under market value, but based on 2008 (5 years, $12.555 million, $7.125M guaranteed) and 2009 (5 year $13.8 million contract, $7.82 million guaranteed) I would be surprised to see #23 get more than $15 even. And Bryant's contract, even if it is somewhat undervalued, may be a sign that rookie salaries are changing.

CaliforniaCheez
07-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Bulaga despite his size is a very young pup. He just turned 21 a few weeks before the draft.

He may be a very good football player at age 23, but this season do not expect too much. He will be learning for awhile.

Tony Oday
07-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Bulaga despite his size is a very young pup. He just turned 21 a few weeks before the draft.

He may be a very good football player at age 23, but this season do not expect too much. He will be learning for awhile.

but what is his contract going to be?

Joemailman
07-22-2010, 09:32 PM
5 years, 14.5 million, 8.3 guaranteed.

Freak Out
07-22-2010, 10:32 PM
4 years 12 million with 5 guaranteed.

MadScientist
07-23-2010, 01:07 AM
5 years 13.5 M, 8.75 guaranteed.
A little larger than last years #23 and a little more guaranteed than Dez got.

Guiness
07-23-2010, 05:38 PM
All this posturing and crap at this point over a few %age points. Just get him into camp, I'll be pissed if he misses a couple of weeks like Raji did.

If I was an owner, getting something in the new CBA about rookie signings would be paramount to me. It's ridiculous that you end up essentially arguing over pay with a player you're hopping is going to be a big part of your franchise for years to come.

Lurker64
07-23-2010, 05:46 PM
All this posturing and crap at this point over a few %age points. Just get him into camp, I'll be pissed if he misses a couple of weeks like Raji did.

If I was an owner, getting something in the new CBA about rookie signings would be paramount to me. It's ridiculous that you end up essentially arguing over pay with a player you're hopping is going to be a big part of your franchise for years to come.

Well, Thompson's job at this point is pretty easy. Since the player after Bulaga (Dez Bryant) and the player before Neal (Sean Lee) were both signed in the last couple of days. So give Bulaga a little more than Bryant, and give Neal a little less than Lee and you're done. The Agent and the GM shouldn't be off by more than a few thousand dollars at this point.

Since our TC doesn't open until July 31, I expect there to be no problem getting both Neal and Bulaga into camp. Sign Neal over the weekend, and sign Bulaga sometime next week Unlike with Raji being surrounded by holdouts and goofy contracts, this should be easy. Bulaga's in Green Bay now and Neal never left after OTAs, so relax. Everybody should be in camp in time.

hoosier
07-23-2010, 09:33 PM

Well, Thompson's job at this point is pretty easy. Since the player after Bulaga (Dez Bryant) and the player before Neal (Sean Lee) were both signed in the last couple of days. So give Bulaga a little more than Bryant, and give Neal a little less than Lee and you're done. The Agent and the GM shouldn't be off by more than a few thousand dollars at this point.

Since our TC doesn't open until July 31, I expect there to be no problem getting both Neal and Bulaga into camp. Sign Neal over the weekend, and sign Bulaga sometime next week Unlike with Raji being surrounded by holdouts and goofy contracts, this should be easy. Bulaga's in Green Bay now and Neal never left after OTAs, so relax. Everybody should be in camp in time.

That logic might not work with Bulaga's agent because for whatever reason Dez Bryant signed a contract (5years/$11.8M with 8.5M guaranteed) which at first glance seems to be less than what #24 got in 2009 (5 years/$13.25M with 7.55M guaranteed) and comparable to #24 two years ago in 2008 (5 years/$12M with 7M guaranteed). His guaranteed is a little higher but the vast majority of first round draft picks don't get cut before their first contract expires so I'm not sure how significant that is.

ThunderDan
07-24-2010, 11:19 AM

That logic might not work with Bulaga's agent because for whatever reason Dez Bryant signed a contract (5years/$11.8M with 8.5M guaranteed) which at first glance seems to be less than what #24 got in 2009 (5 years/$13.25M with 7.55M guaranteed) and comparable to #24 two years ago in 2008 (5 years/$12M with 7M guaranteed). His guaranteed is a little higher but the vast majority of first round draft picks don't get cut before their first contract expires so I'm not sure how significant that is.

Yeah, but with no 2011 season for sure players will give up total money to get bigger signing bonuses and guaranteed money to protect for next year being a potential no go.

rbaloha1
07-24-2010, 12:38 PM
BB does not appear to be the holdout type. Expect in camp on-time.

Joemailman
07-24-2010, 02:02 PM
I don't think Raji was the holdout type either, but sometimes circumstances control things. That said, as has been discussed earlier in this thread, there are reasons to think that won't happen to Bulaga.

packerbacker1234
07-25-2010, 10:42 PM
The CBA has a lot to do with it, and you can see the impact across the NFL right now. Most players are protecting themselves because there may not be football next season, which means no paychecks. That means they want to get all their money right now, or at least a significant portion up front.

Guiness
07-26-2010, 02:16 AM
Good point on the potential lack of a season, and it could be the reason for some higher signing bonuses. A rookie would be looking to get some money in his pocket NOW.

I wonder how a work stoppage would affect lower round draft picks. College ball keeps going, and a guy from the lower rounds may see his opportunity pass him by, if he is forced to take a year off. Players fresh out of college would pass him by.

Fritz
07-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Slot him appropriately and assign Brandon Underwood to be his Green Bay area tour guide. That'll get him into camp.

CaliforniaCheez
07-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Other players have checked in, meetings start Friday, and it looks like the holdout has begun.

Joemailman
07-29-2010, 11:28 PM
Sounds like they're pretty close. I don't think he'll miss a practice.

Gunakor
07-30-2010, 01:10 AM
Other players have checked in, meetings start Friday, and it looks like the holdout has begun.

This holdout, if it can be called that, sounds more like the agent holding out rather than the player. Bulaga sounds like he just wants to play football, wants to be here on time and get to work. As I heard it he's there in camp right now, he just won't be participating until the deal is done.

In any case, I'd be surprised if this lasts beyond this weekend.

Lurker64
07-30-2010, 09:35 AM
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Bryan Bulaga has agreed to terms on a five-year deal with the Packers.

OUR LONG NATIONAL NIGHTMARE IS OVER!

gabe
07-30-2010, 09:49 AM
YES SIR :five:

red
07-30-2010, 09:50 AM
5 year contract 14.75 million, 8.76 guaranteed.

good job by both sides getting this done before camp opens

CaliforniaCheez
07-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Well, if the league office approves of the contract in time, Mr. Bulaga may just be able to attend the first on field practice.

Lurker64
07-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Well, if the league office approves of the contract in time, Mr. Bulaga may just be able to attend the first on field practice.

I'm reasonably confident that the league offices, at least the people who approve contracts, are obligated to work overtime about the time of year that training camps get started. There have been about a dozen first round picks signed in the last couple of days, and I've not heard anything about any of their contracts being delayed by the league office.

Edit: According to the JSO, Bulaga's contract was actually signed this morning. Does approval of the contract take place before or after it is physically signed? I would think it happens between "agreeing to terms" and "signing" but I'm not an expert on this.

CaliforniaCheez
07-30-2010, 06:43 PM
You agree to terms on the phone or through e-mail.

The signing I believe is legal with a fax copy if the player is not around to sign.

The fax copy is then sent to the league office via a pdf so that there is an accountability trail.

Then there is likely an e-mail telling the Packers that the contract does not violate the CBA, have clauses the league does not permit, and fits within the rookie salary cap for the Packers.

If it was done more timely the draftee would signed the actual contract, it would be sent to the league office, and approved the next day.