PDA

View Full Version : Has Westbrook been signed?

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-25-2010, 02:06 PM
I know RB is not a huge need right now. But I really like Westbrook and I thought he would have made are already dangerous offense even more dangerous by adding a real catching threat at RB. I'm just surprised he has not been signed yet or has he and I missed it?

swede
07-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Ted thinks we're pretty good there. Of course, he gets up every day looking to find something that will make the team better, and he's certainly not going to get into who he may or may not be looking at, but he thinks we're pretty good there. Ted believes we have some talent at that position already. It's a pretty good group of guys.

Lurker64
07-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Unless something has happened in the last six hours or so, nobody has signed Westbrook yet this offseason. Perhaps 32 NFL teams know something we don't.

Brando19
07-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Unless something has happened in the last six hours or so, nobody has signed Westbrook yet this offseason. Perhaps 32 NFL teams know something we don't.

Yeah...like one good hit and his career may be over. I'll pass.

Guiness
07-25-2010, 04:20 PM
Goes to show how fleeting the career of an nfl player, especially a back is.

Wasn't long ago that he was a dynamic player, one of the most dangerous in the league. Now, a la Sean Alexander, he can't get a job.

Tony Oday
07-25-2010, 04:36 PM
I still think he wouldn't be terrible in Green and Gold. Third down veteran back.

BallHawk
07-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Can't tell me he wouldn't be just as good, if not better, than Ahman was last year.

Tony Oday
07-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Can't tell me he wouldn't be just as good, if not better, than Ahman was last year.

or Brandon Jackson or Lumpkin

Brando19
07-25-2010, 05:54 PM

Those guys don't have a history with concussions. I read somewhere that Westbrook thought about retiring after he suffered his last concussion. The guy may prove me wrong, but I think his time has ended. He's going to be afraid to lower his helmet and get that extra yard. Injury prone.

Lurker64
07-25-2010, 06:06 PM
I think Westbrook's best shot at getting a job this season is if a team with playoff aspirations loses their feature back for an extended period of time. But other than that, I don't think he'll get an invitation to camp with anybody.

retailguy
07-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Ted thinks we're pretty good there.

:lol:

Tony Oday
07-25-2010, 06:29 PM

Those guys don't have a history with concussions. I read somewhere that Westbrook thought about retiring after he suffered his last concussion. The guy may prove me wrong, but I think his time has ended. He's going to be afraid to lower his helmet and get that extra yard. Injury prone.

When he carries the full load or even half yes but we need him for the 3rd down back in passing situations...

Joemailman
07-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Reportedly Washington has made a contract offer to Westbrook.
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/sports/eagles/060310-redksins-offer-brian-westbrook-contract

Maybe he just wants to wait until the pre-season games start. What a diva!

Lurker64
07-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Reportedly Washington has made a contract offer to Westbrook.
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/sports/eagles/060310-redksins-offer-brian-westbrook-contract

Maybe he just wants to wait until the pre-season games start. What a diva!

With Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis, Willie Parker, and Brian Westbrook under contract the Redskins would have the best stable of running backs in the NFL... if this was 2005.

Fritz
07-26-2010, 09:15 AM
All they need is to dig up George Allen to coach the over-the-hill gang, version 2010.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-26-2010, 01:52 PM
I still think he wouldn't be terrible in Green and Gold. Third down veteran back.

That is pretty much why I wouldn't mind seeing him signed. Grant is the unquestioned starter, and I feel Westbrook durability wouldn’t be an issue if he was only a part time player used in the right way. And if he goes down you would still have Jackson to step up and take his spot. I'm sure since he has been out in the market for so long that by now his price has gone down. It sure doesn't look like TT is interested in adding him though.

red
07-26-2010, 05:27 PM
yeah, like one hit to the head and he's lost for the whole season

good luck preventing your RB from getting hit in the head

Tony Oday
07-26-2010, 07:18 PM

and then we use B Jack...not like in MN when the great one goes down this year they use T Jack.

Gunakor
07-26-2010, 11:52 PM

and then we use B Jack...not like in MN when the great one goes down this year they use T Jack.

I say we just use B Jack. Westbrook is a walking talking injury these days.

Don't forget about that kid we drafted out of Buffalo, James Starks. If his shoulder is okay he'd be an ideal 3rd down back. From bleacherreport.com:

The scouting report on Starks is promising too: "Natural pass catcher", "Glider who can hit the corner at the NFL level and can be a load to take down once in the open field", and "good lateral movement and quick feet when looking for a hole to open."

So there is little doubt in my mind, if Starks can stay healthy (and to be fair, that is a big "if") he has the opportunity to come in right away and help an already good NFL offense. He's not an immediate threat to Grant's job security, but I'd say this pick is a pretty good indication that Jackson's role as the third down running back is far from safe.

Pugger
07-27-2010, 11:09 AM

I'd rather we spend our money on a player with fewer health issues.

retailguy
07-27-2010, 12:31 PM

I'd rather we spend our money on a player with fewer health issues.

I guess that settles it, we should re-up Justin Harrell instead. :twisted:

NewsBruin
07-28-2010, 11:25 PM

And since he's a vet, if he's signed before Game 1, he gets paid for the full season, even if he's carted off from the first snap. I'm sure that plays into teams' decision-making.