PDA

View Full Version : Bigby signs

MadScientist
07-27-2010, 05:47 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/27/atari-bigby-signs-his-tender/

Good that he won't do anything really stupid like holding out. Burnett looks like he may take the starting job (if anything can really be trusted from OTA reports). But last years injuries proved how important backup safeties are.

Brandon494
07-27-2010, 06:13 PM
I really dont care, Id rather have Burnett start over him.

Lurker64
07-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Can someone inform me what wisdom there was in not signing this tender, say, months ago?

Brandon494
07-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Can someone inform me what wisdom there was in not signing this tender, say, months ago?

Bigby just thinks he is better than he really is because the two guys behind him, Martin and that other white guy behind him(sorry forgot his name and not worth looking up), sucked donkey dick.

Im glad he did hold out though because he gave Burnett more time with the 1st team defense.

rbaloha1
07-27-2010, 06:55 PM
AB is a Rosenhaus client -- enough said.

Joemailman
07-27-2010, 06:58 PM
This is very good news. Even if you believe Burnett is ready to start, without Bigby the Packers would have been where they were last year - Praying that neither starting safety gets hurt.

Tony Oday
07-27-2010, 07:21 PM
AB is now a rent-a-player. If he has a good-great year he is gone because we wont pay him top Saftey money and if he sucks or gets limited playing time we will replace him.

Fritz
07-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Is sucking donkey dick worse than sucking other kinds of dick? Say, kitten cock? Panda penis?

I am sure Skin is having warm feelings about this.

SkinBasket
07-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Is sucking donkey dick worse than sucking other kinds of dick? Say, kitten cock? Panda penis?

PRAISE THE LORD! THE SAVIOR RETURNS!!!

Brandon494
07-27-2010, 10:45 PM
[quote="Fritz"]Is sucking donkey dick worse than sucking other kinds of dick? Say, kitten cock? Panda penis?

I am sure Skin is having warm feelings about this.[/quote

guess you've never seen a donkey show

Lurker64
07-27-2010, 11:03 PM

Well, cats have spines on their penises, so I'd think that would be pretty unpleasant. Plus, you know, it would be clawing at your face while you tried to get at it.

bobblehead
07-27-2010, 11:06 PM
at the risk of derailing this thread off the topic of COCK, I would like to say that Bigby is a legitimate starting safety in the NFL....great? Hell no, but you could win with him. That being said if Burnett lives up to the Kool Aid I'll be thrilled if Bigby becomes a luxury item.

Lurker64
07-27-2010, 11:10 PM
at the risk of derailing this thread off the topic of COCK, I would like to say that Bigby is a legitimate starting safety in the NFL....great? Hell no, but you could win with him. That being said if Burnett lives up to the Kool Aid I'll be thrilled if Bigby becomes a luxury item.

Well, the good part about having Bigby now is that we're not completely fucked after one injury at Safety like we have been in the past. Having Bigby step in for Burnett or Burnett step in for Bigby, or Burnett step in for Collins wouldn't be the absolute disaster that having Charlie Peprah or Anthony Levine stepping in for any of those guys would be.

red
07-27-2010, 11:28 PM
i forgot all about bigby

i guess in the back of my mind i had the rookie starting

swede
07-27-2010, 11:34 PM
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/pics_donkey20shrek.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/rjf_rooster3.jpg
http://www.gossipcraze.com/_mm/_d/_ext2/52870/big_Atari%20Bigby01.jpg

There once was a cat named Atari
Who went on a new team safari
He thought he'd be packing
But interest was lacking
So he signed to be safe and not sorry.

sharpe1027
07-28-2010, 08:08 AM

Once he signs, doesn't he loose his RFA status? Contract wise, he had nothing to lose (unless they withdrew the offer, which was unlikely) and everything to gain by not signing.

Fritz
07-28-2010, 08:22 AM

I would argue that there is at least one fine member of our community who would argue that Bigby and sucking cock are not different topics at all.

SkinBasket
07-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Bigby is a legitimate starting safety in the NFL....great? Hell no, but you could win with him.

At the risk of sounding soft of Cocksucker McStrudle, I have maintained that as long as he is the only player of such limitation on the field, we can hide him adequately against exposure. My biggest problems were when we had Bigby and Poppinga on the field at the same time. No defense can hide that kind of ineptitude.

That being said, finding someone with some kind of skill other than having an unearned reputation for "big" hits and a totally earned reputation for slow feet, stiff hips, bad angles, and injuries would be splendid.

Our best players on defense have been ham-stringed trying to cover up it's deficiencies before. An average player who allows our great players to be unleashed instead of compensating for suck-assedness would be nice.

Gunakor
07-28-2010, 09:06 AM
He can play the ball too. I think he had 4 interceptions last year, tying him with Tramon Williams for 3rd on the club. There's more to Bigby's game than simply laying the lumber.

pbmax
07-28-2010, 09:32 AM
I am oddly comforted that Bigby is back, and the Packers may still not have a punter or left guard. By the time these positions get fixed, the rest of the team will be old and terrible.

sharpe1027
07-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Bigby is a legitimate starting safety in the NFL....great? Hell no, but you could win with him.

At the risk of sounding soft of Cocksucker McStrudle, I have maintained that as long as he is the only player of such limitation on the field, we can hide him adequately against exposure. My biggest problems were when we had Bigby and Poppinga on the field at the same time. No defense can hide that kind of ineptitude.

That being said, finding someone with some kind of skill other than having an unearned reputation for "big" hits and a totally earned reputation for slow feet, stiff hips, bad angles, and injuries would be splendid.

Our best players on defense have been ham-stringed trying to cover up it's deficiencies before. An average player who allows our great players to be unleashed instead of compensating for suck-assedness would be nice.

I won't argue about how good or bad Bigby is, but last year he was much better than our alternatives. Hopefully Burnett will change that.

Fritz
07-28-2010, 10:56 AM
"Cocksucker McStrudle" sounds like a character in a movie set in the 1940's. Probably played by Ned Beatty.

SkinBasket
07-28-2010, 12:15 PM
He can play the ball too. I think he had 4 interceptions last year, tying him with Tramon Williams for 3rd on the club. There's more to Bigby's game than simply laying the lumber.

Interceptions which were not created by Atari Bigby. The good news is he caught them, I suppose. Yipee.

cheesner
07-28-2010, 01:54 PM

Once he signs, doesn't he loose his RFA status? Contract wise, he had nothing to lose (unless they withdrew the offer, which was unlikely) and everything to gain by not signing.

He stood to loose bargaining power if his replacement comes in and does well (which is what happened)

He lost because he missed valuable OTAs and a minicamp. Therefore he isn't as far along as he could be if he came in and practiced. This may result in loss of playing time which in turn costs him negotiating power next year.

Bigby lost a lot in this, I figure.

get louder at lambeau
07-28-2010, 04:36 PM

He stood to loose bargaining power if his replacement comes in and does well (which is what happened)

He lost because he missed valuable OTAs and a minicamp. Therefore he isn't as far along as he could be if he came in and practiced. This may result in loss of playing time which in turn costs him negotiating power next year.

According to comments by Nick Collins a month or two ago, Bigby has been trying to heal up his recurring ankle problems over the offseason, so I doubt he would have been doing much in OTAs and minicamp anyway. Most veterans who showed up gimpy didn't do much of anything.

sharpe1027
07-28-2010, 05:27 PM

Maybe for next year. This year, though, he had nothing to gain from signing earlier.

I guess it doesn't help his case much, but I figure that if he's going to get beat out, the missed minicamp won't end up be the deciding factor.

pbmax
07-28-2010, 05:52 PM

Its a bit of a gamble, but the Packers have few choices beside Bigby. Even if Burnett looks like the second coming of Ronnie Lott, they still need him. So the risk is low that the tender is withdrawn. In his favor is the chance that they lose someone in workouts to an injury. Then his leverage goes up.

rbaloha1
07-28-2010, 08:09 PM
AB shall be regulated to special teams just like Poop.

NewsBruin
07-28-2010, 11:14 PM
As I understand it, until Bigby signs the tender, he's not on the roster, the Packers cannot trade him, and he cannot sign with another team.

However, once he signs the tender, he's the Packers' property and can be signed to a longer contract or traded at the team's discretion. Another team can offer higher than the tender AND give the Pack draft picks to swipe him for the season if the Pack doesn't match.

Until Bigby signed, he wasn't part of the team, doesn't have to report or practice (risking injury), and can continue working on a longer contract or sign-and-trade. Once he signs, the Pack has no obligation to provide a longer deal or get a trade.

I can't say I always sympathize with the players (most of the time I do), but if I were in Bigby's shoes, I'd want to take as much time as it took to get a multi-year deal. With Burnett drafted and Bigby's injury status, there's no guarantee 2011 (if there's any football) will be a better year for dealmaking than 2010.

Anyway, Bigby blinked first, signed relatively inexpensively, and I support him as long as he wears the green and gold and doesn't act a fool.

get louder at lambeau
07-28-2010, 11:31 PM
With Burnett drafted and Bigby's injury status, there's no guarantee 2011 (if there's any football) will be a better year for dealmaking than 2010.

There are never any guarantees, but if Bigby gets to FA healthy he'll make a bunch of money. Anyone with starting experience gets paid retarded money in FA these days. Antrel Rolle just got $37 mil with $15 mil guaranteed a few months ago.

Gunakor
07-29-2010, 04:02 AM

Interceptions which were not created by Atari Bigby. The good news is he caught them, I suppose. Yipee.

So pass rush may have helped create them, but the same could be said for a good number of Woodson's interceptions too. Same for Collins or Williams or Harris or anyone else.

What is your criteria for a DB as to whether he deserves any credit for the passes he picks off in a season?

SkinBasket
07-29-2010, 08:53 AM

So pass rush may have helped create them, but the same could be said for a good number of Woodson's interceptions too. Same for Collins or Williams or Harris or anyone else.

What is your criteria for a DB as to whether he deserves any credit for the passes he picks off in a season?

We covered this several times in several of the other ridiculous Bigby loving threads, so I would refer you there.

I think the short version would go something like this: the DB gets credit when his INT comes as a result of individual effort and/or coverage. He does not when he's standing in deep center facing the play waiting for a badly thrown ball because he's too goddamn slow and stupid to be of any use in any kind of coverage.

gabe
07-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Don't know much about his smarts, but he ran a 4.65 at the combine. How much slower is that then the average safety in the NFL?

retailguy
07-29-2010, 11:37 AM
With Burnett drafted and Bigby's injury status, there's no guarantee 2011 (if there's any football) will be a better year for dealmaking than 2010.

There are never any guarantees, but if Bigby gets to FA healthy he'll make a bunch of money. Anyone with starting experience gets paid retarded money in FA these days. Antrel Rolle just got $37 mil with $15 mil guaranteed a few months ago.

Hopefully there will be a year 2 in the Bears "scorched earth" policy. They need more overpriced veterans down there.

Gunakor
07-29-2010, 11:46 AM

We covered this several times in several of the other ridiculous Bigby loving threads, so I would refer you there.

I think the short version would go something like this: the DB gets credit when his INT comes as a result of individual effort and/or coverage. He does not when he's standing in deep center facing the play waiting for a badly thrown ball because he's too goddamn slow and stupid to be of any use in any kind of coverage.

To slow and stupid to be of use in any kind of coverage? You mean, like, can't keep up with a WR in man coverage? Newsflash, they don't play the safeties in man coverage. They are supposed to sit back facing the play. That's their job. If Bigby wasn't making those INT's by playing deep center facing the play I'd be more concerned, as that would mean he's out of position. You don't like it? Bitch and Dom for not using Bigby in a more exciting role.

As it is, an INT results in a turnover no matter how it comes. They give credit for it no matter how it happens. You get no extra credit for a highlight reel INT. Same shit happens. Ball is turned over to your offense at the spot where you're tackled, first and ten for the good guys. I don't see the difference.

He also recorded 5 INT's in 2007. That makes him top 10 in INT's amongst all safeties twice in his 3 year career. But, hey, I guess he doesn't get any credit for that because he's too slow and stupid. It's always "Yeah, but..."

Just like Ryan Grant. Top 10 rushing, 2 years of his 3 year career, "Yeah, but..." The stats might not tell the whole story, but they ain't a lie either. Stop whining. We could do far, FAR worse.

SkinBasket
07-29-2010, 01:03 PM

To slow and stupid to be of use in any kind of coverage? You mean, like, can't keep up with a WR in man coverage? Newsflash, they don't play the safeties in man coverage. They are supposed to sit back facing the play. That's their job. If Bigby wasn't making those INT's by playing deep center facing the play I'd be more concerned, as that would mean he's out of position. You don't like it? Bitch and Dom for not using Bigby in a more exciting role.

As it is, an INT results in a turnover no matter how it comes. They give credit for it no matter how it happens. You get no extra credit for a highlight reel INT. Same shit happens. Ball is turned over to your offense at the spot where you're tackled, first and ten for the good guys. I don't see the difference.

He also recorded 5 INT's in 2007. That makes him top 10 in INT's amongst all safeties twice in his 3 year career. But, hey, I guess he doesn't get any credit for that because he's too slow and stupid. It's always "Yeah, but..."

Just like Ryan Grant. Top 10 rushing, 2 years of his 3 year career, "Yeah, but..." The stats might not tell the whole story, but they ain't a lie either. Stop whining. We could do far, FAR worse.

Just go reread all the old threads on the topic instead of "cleverly" switching the argument from whether Bigby created the turnover to whether he should be statistically credited with the turnover. We covered it all. No sense in doing it again. Oh, and "newsflash," we've seen Bigby play in more than our current scheme.

RashanGary
07-29-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm a Bigby fan. I think he'll start this year and play well.

get louder at lambeau
07-29-2010, 01:32 PM

Just go reread all the old threads on the topic instead of "cleverly" switching the argument from whether Bigby created the turnover to whether he should be statistically credited with the turnover. We covered it all. No sense in doing it again. Oh, and "newsflash," we've seen Bigby play in more than our current scheme.

Yes we have, and as Gunakor just pointed out, he was top 10 in INTs in two of his three years. In two different systems badly thrown balls just keep falling into his slow, stupid, useless hands whenever he's healthy. Weird, huh?

SkinBasket
07-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Yes we have, and as Gunakor just pointed out, he was top 10 in INTs in two of his three years. In two different systems badly thrown balls just keep falling into his slow, stupid, useless hands whenever he's healthy. Weird, huh?

I never said useless.

LOL @ highlighted part.

ThunderDan
07-29-2010, 02:34 PM

I never said useless.

LOL @ highlighted part.

You wished he would die with some other idiot. I said send him back to Jamaica.

Bigby is a decent NFL starter; one you are looking to upgrade at any point that you can. There is not enough room under the salary cap (well when there was a salary cap) to have Pro Bowlers at every position.

This is how I felt about Colledge last year also. He's not good but until you get someone better on the roster he stays.

ThunderDan
07-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Double Post

Brandon494
07-29-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't know what you guys are complaining about but if you have ever watched Bigby play then you know he is not a ball hawking safety and he known for laying big hits. Every ball I have ever seen him pick off was pretty much thrown directly towards him. He is stiff in the hips and lacks coverage skills but makes up for it in his run support. He would not start on most teams in the NFL but since we have no depth at safety some think he is better than he actually is. I'm praying Burnett is a starting SS this season.

I know it sounds like it but Im not hating on Bigby. Its like Donald Lee at TE, yea he is ok as a starter for a few seasons but hes not going to be that playmaker that will win you games. Hopefully Burnett will be that guy and replace Bigby like Finley did with Lee.

get louder at lambeau
07-29-2010, 03:16 PM

I never said useless.

LOL @ highlighted part.

Yuh-huh! Did too! Liar liar pants on fire!

he's too goddamn slow and stupid to be of any use in any kind of coverage.

"Too slow and stupid to be of any use" pretty much equals "useless," unless you are just trying to split hairs just to be cute.

As far as the highlighted part, yup, he has been injury prone. That'll happen to hard hitting safeties. See Mike Brown and Bob Sanders.

You act like that proves he's a bad player somehow? The best safety in the league, and one of the most durable, Ed Reed, missed 4 games last year and is currently rehabbing after having hip surgery. He has had career threatening neck problems recently too. The other candidate for best safety in the NFL is probably Troy Polamalu, who has missed even more games than Bigby over the last three years due to injury.

And no, (before you go off imagining I did) I'm not saying Bigby is as good as those players. He's also not anywhere near as bad as you like to claim he is.

packerbacker1234
07-29-2010, 03:18 PM

What about the fact he has the most turnovers per play in packers history? I forget what the exact margins were, but in a previous Bigby thread someone pointed out that Bigby, when he is healthy, causes more havoc turnover wise than Collins, and the statistics proved beyond that - he caused more havoc turnover wise than any other packer in the history of the NFL.

Does he take some bad angles at times? Sure, so does Collins, he just has "make up speed". Does Bigby always make big hits? No, but he has made enough of them to warrant the reputation. Is he the fastest guy? Of course not, but he is a starting caliber safety. I never understood the Bigby hate. Not because if the drop off we have had without him, but because of his actual production ont he field.

He is ALWAYS causing turnovers, and reaking havoc to wr's running those 15 yard posts. He does everything he is suppose to do as starting SS, and then some because he is getting the turnover ratio of a top flight FS, and yet all we packer fans do is rag on the guy.

Look, Burnett has looked good, but to expect him to cause more turnovers than a safety for the packers who ahs the best turnover rate of any packer in the history of organization is laughable.

Brandon494
07-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Look, Burnett has looked good, but to expect him to cause more turnovers than a safety for the packers who ahs the best turnover rate of any packer in the history of organization is laughable.

Its not really all that laughable when you look at the QBs he picked off in his career....

K Holocomb
T Jackson
Jon Kinta
M Bulger
J McCown
D Stanton
M Hassellback
B. St. Pierre

Also all his INTs last season we were leading by 20+ points in each game so its not like any of them were game changers.

No one is hating on Bigby, but the guy is near the bottom of starting SS in the league and would not start on any other playoff team.

gabe
07-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Really? I think if he hit the free agent market he gets paid big...he could start for ALOT of teams

Brandon494
07-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Really? I think if he hit the free agent market he gets paid big...he could start for ALOT of teams

Now thats laughable

MJZiggy
07-29-2010, 05:59 PM

Now thats laughable

Free agency does funny things to people.

Fritz
07-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Everybody seems to be ignoring the fact that skin came up with the most hilarious name of all time: Cocksucker McStrudle.

Somehow, when I hear that I think of coach McCarthy.

"Hey, Cocksucker McStrudle! Get your ass over here!"

Gunakor
07-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Also all his INTs last season we were leading by 20+ points in each game so its not like any of them were game changers.

No, but you don't get to pick and choose when opportunities come.

One of his INT's did help preserve a shutout however. Opponent driving, already in our red zone, Bigby makes the pick deep in our own end zone to deny sure points. The Packers D ended up with a clean sheet that day, with Bigby ending the only real threat.

But I guess he's just too slow, to stupid, to useless in any kind of coverage to get any credit at all for that.

Gunakor
07-30-2010, 12:15 AM

Now thats laughable

Are you his agent?

Gunakor
07-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Just go reread all the old threads on the topic instead of "cleverly" switching the argument from whether Bigby created the turnover to whether he should be statistically credited with the turnover.

I'm not switching the argument at all. It's a stupid argument and I'll have no part of it. My point is it makes no difference whether he created the damn turnover or not - an interception is an interception. Ball is turned over to the offense. First and ten Packers. Your argument is pointless because whether Bigby created the turnover or not the result is exactly the same. Why have this argument in the first place?

gabe
07-30-2010, 07:59 AM
No haha, I honestly do think if he hits free agency he has more than 4 teams trying to sign him easy.

gabe
07-30-2010, 08:02 AM
Would defiantly be in the top 18 of strong safeties. He has proven more than Morgan Burnett. Don't get my wrong though I live in Ga and I got to watch him on a terrible GT def. But he was defiantly their best player on def.

Iron Mike
07-31-2010, 09:43 AM
Fuck it, I'm gonna throw him under the bus with Jarrett Bush....

He's not Bigby to me anymore, He's Sanka Cofie from "Cool Runnings."

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/oze8JOKkVNc/0.jpg

Brandon494
07-31-2010, 12:27 PM

Now thats laughable

Are you his agent?

No Im not his agent, Im just telling it like it is.

Gunakor
07-31-2010, 05:21 PM
If you ain't his agent, you have no idea how it is. Being top 10 amongst all safeties in interceptions 2 of the last 3 years, I'm pretty sure someone would pay well for his services.

I find it strange that Bigby is the only safety "lucky" to have all those picks while any other safety with that many is a ballhawk that can create for themselves. Poor logic IMO.

As far as that list of QB's you put up is concerned, why is Bigby the only one picking them off? Why is Bigby the only safety these QB's are throwing the ball directly at? Why is Bigby top 10 while the other safeties these guys play against aren't?

Brandon494
07-31-2010, 05:27 PM
If you ain't his agent, you have no idea how it is. Being top 10 amongst all safeties in interceptions 2 of the last 3 years, I'm pretty sure someone would pay well for his services.

I find it strange that Bigby is the only safety "lucky" to have all those picks while any other safety with that many is a ballhawk that can create for themselves. Poor logic IMO.

As far as that list of QB's you put up is concerned, why is Bigby the only one picking them off? Why is Bigby the only safety these QB's are throwing the ball directly at? Why is Bigby top 10 while the other safeties these guys play against aren't?

Do you even watch football or just go off stats?

retailguy
07-31-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm pretty sure someone would pay well for his services.

If you ain't his agent, you have no idea how it is.

So... Gun... Are you his agent?

I'm just sayin.....

Gunakor
07-31-2010, 05:34 PM

Of course I watch football. But stats don't lie. Stats tell the story of the season, for the most part. Why the hell would they keep them if they didn't?

Gunakor
07-31-2010, 05:36 PM

I'm just sayin.....

I said "I'm pretty sure..."

Brandon's just telling it how it IS, though.

No, I'm not his agent, I don't claim to know for certain (unlike some people here), I'm simply PRETTY SURE he'll get paid well in FA should he get there. Based on comparison to other players with similar stats and similar injury history getting big paydays, I'm PRETTY SURE he'll get his payday too.

retailguy
07-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Look I'll be really honest here. I think Bigby sucks. Always have. Big hitter, shitty in coverage, shitty when he has to think, and has a shitty attitude too.

If you want to parse words, parse them.

I'm PRETTY SURE he's out of the league in 2 more seasons, no matter what happens next year in free agency.

We all have an opinion. You should let others have theirs, even if they're positive they're right.

I'm not Bigby's agent either, but I damn sure have a clue. I have eyes, I watch games, I watch stats, and I know that stats are pretty damn deceiving sometimes. Look at the stats for the 2008 packers that finished 6-10.

ThunderDan
07-31-2010, 07:35 PM

I'm just sayin.....

No, I'm not his agent, I don't claim to know for certain (unlike some people here), I'm simply PRETTY SURE he'll get paid well in FA should he get there. Based on comparison to other players with similar stats and similar injury history getting big paydays, I'm PRETTY SURE he'll get his payday too.

Bigby was a RFA this year. If he was so good why didn't anyone tender Bigby? Didn't we tender him with a 2nd round pick? If he is one of the top at his position why wouldn't anyone kick the tires a little bit?

Hell, Bush got an offer from Tennessee and he sucks.

rbaloha1
07-31-2010, 08:36 PM

Of course I watch football. But stats don't lie. Stats tell the story of the season, for the most part. Why the hell would they keep them if they didn't?

fantasy football

get louder at lambeau
08-01-2010, 11:28 AM

I'm just sayin.....

Bigby was a RFA this year. If he was so good why didn't anyone tender Bigby? Didn't we tender him with a 2nd round pick? If he is one of the top at his position why wouldn't anyone kick the tires a little bit?

Hell, Bush got an offer from Tennessee and he sucks.

There were over 200 RFAs out there this offseason, and how many of them changed teams? Not too many. The NFLPA is rumored to be looking into filing colluusion charges against the NFL regarding the lack of action in free agency this offseason.

As far as giving up a 2nd round pick, that's a pretty steep price for an injury prone 29 year old safety. We got a 3rd rounder for a Hall Of Fame QB. Teams are much more likely to spend money on a UFA than money and a high pick on an RFA. In Bush's case, I don't think Tennessee would have had to give up a pick at all, just money. Apples and oranges.

Scott Campbell
08-01-2010, 11:41 AM
There are a lot of guys that you think suck that end up getting paid and having long careers.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/headshot/M/A/N/MAN751824.jpg

Marquand Manuel | #36 | SS

Detroit Lions | Official Team Site

Height: 6-0 Weight: 213 Age: 31

Born: 7/11/1979 Miami , FL

College: Florida

Experience: 9th season

High School: Miami Senior HS [FL]

packerbacker1234
08-01-2010, 12:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtRuoojLF1s

Forced Fumble on big hit in tied game early against Minn.
Diving interception in tight game against Minn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8UL77dK5JY&feature=PlayList&p=1C0241E48AA3092D&playnext=1&index=10

2007 Tight Playoff game against seattle - Forced fumble on big hit.

Of course, we all know in 2007 Bigby had a breakout year, with almost 90 tackles, 5 picks, 3 forced fumbles. It was a big year for him, and his only as a packer where he was healthy for 16 games.

The next season he was hurt and gone for most the season.

Back to being healthy enough to start 11 games, he grabbed 50 tackles and 4 picks. If he was healthy for the whole season, that averages out to 78 tackles and 6 picks.

So he is getting picks against bad qb's? Lets start talking Woodson then, where most his picks are against bad teams! "he only gets picks because teams throw it right at him" - news flash, 90% of picks for any player happen due to the ball being thrown at them, that is why it got picked. Woodson is a bit of an exception at times, but roughly half his ints were balls thrown right at him. Why does woodson get praised for it and bigby not? In order for the ball to be thrown "at" bigby, he has to be in the right position at the right time, and that is indeed "coverage" skills. Is he the best one on one? No. But when he is playing Zone he seems to be in the right position more times than not.

I am not arguing that Bigby is an elite SS, but he is certainly above average. 2007 Was amazing for him, he was hurt bad in 08, and then in 09, huirt again but healthy enough to start 11 games, he nabs 50 tackles adn 4 picks?

"oh but hassleback and" Hassleback has been to a super bowl, and has had a decent career. He is far from a "horrible" QB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Hasselbeck

The stats show it too. He has had a rough couple years, but the team around him just isn't very good. You can only do so much with what you have.

What I am saying is, I don't understand the bigby hate, and how "stats lie". Not sure how the stats can really lie. 10 picks in just 33 games started, plus 3 fumbles. That's 13 turnovers in 33 games. Thats a little over 1 every 3 games. So what is there to hate? He has been consistent with it since he got to GB, so why are we saying it's all luck?

I don't get it. Guy isn't a stud, but he is a reliable starting caliber SS.

Brandon494
08-01-2010, 12:33 PM
I don't get it. Guy isn't a stud, but he is a reliable starting caliber SS.

Donald Lee isn't a stud either but hes a reliable starter at TE.

Its not about not liking Bigby, its about Morgan Burnett has the talent to be an All-Pro in this league.

Bigby has the advantage at experience and tackling but Burnett has the advantage at speed, range, athleticism, awareness, and intangibles. There is a reason the DPOY has been raving about Burnett. This kid can be special and I believe we have already seen the best of what Bigby has to offer.

pbmax
08-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Look I'll be really honest here. I think Bigby sucks. Always have. Big hitter, shitty in coverage, shitty when he has to think, and has a shitty attitude too.

I'm PRETTY SURE he's out of the league in 2 more seasons, no matter what happens next year in free agency.

We all have an opinion. You should let others have theirs, even if they're positive they're right.

I'm not Bigby's agent either, but I damn sure have a clue. I have eyes, I watch games, I watch stats, and I know that stats are pretty damn deceiving sometimes. Look at the stats for the 2008 packers that finished 6-10.
Didn't Bigby make the secondary calls for Perry and Capers last year? While I agree with the most of the rest of the characterization, Bigby, to my eyes, doesn't have a problem with recognition or diagnosing, its speed to get there. Esp. backwards.

Mostly this thread is a long winded version of: Bigby is a starting caliber safety in the NFL with several limitations. Replaceable with a good talent.

But now that he is injured and on PUP with Harris, this might be the end. Its not going to sit well with the team that he tried to get a long term deal all offseason and did not get his ankle taken care of. As the Collins mention earlier this thread made clear, even his teammates knew he wasn't 100% this summer.

retailguy
08-01-2010, 01:19 PM

Didn't Bigby make the secondary calls for Perry and Capers last year? While I agree with the most of the rest of the characterization, Bigby, to my eyes, doesn't have a problem with recognition or diagnosing, its speed to get there. Esp. backwards.

Mostly this thread is a long winded version of: Bigby is a starting caliber safety in the NFL with several limitations. Replaceable with a good talent.

But now that he is injured and on PUP with Harris, this might be the end. Its not going to sit well with the team that he tried to get a long term deal all offseason and did not get his ankle taken care of. As the Collins mention earlier this thread made clear, even his teammates knew he wasn't 100% this summer.

Not sure PB, maybe Noah Herron donated his cement shoes to Bigby and that's the real problem. In any case, there is a large issue there of that I'm "PRETTY SURE". (Just to use the proper "word parsing" technique.)

pbmax
08-01-2010, 01:29 PM

Not sure PB, maybe Noah Herron donated his cement shoes to Bigby and that's the real problem. In any case, there is a large issue there of that I'm "PRETTY SURE". (Just to use the proper "word parsing" technique.)
No need to parse, RG. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something. When I get Patlerized, I like to at least learn from the mistake. :lol:

retailguy
08-01-2010, 02:56 PM

No need to parse, RG. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something. When I get Patlerized, I like to at least learn from the mistake. :lol:

I was referring to the "parsing" discussion earlier in the thread. Since I'm not Bigby's agent, I don't know, therefore I can't be "definitive".

Sorry for not being clearer. :wink: Patlerize away, my friend. :P

SkinBasket
08-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't get it.

Maybe you're just stuck in 2007. You still watching Stomp the Yard and listening to Umbrella?

rbaloha1
08-01-2010, 06:46 PM
I don't get it.

Maybe you're just stuck in 2007. You still watching Stomp the Yard and listening to Umbrella?

AB does not matter anymore. Another Rosenhaus client screwed.

The Leaper
08-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Bigby ain't bad...he's a soild starter. However, I was touting Burnett early and often. I think this kid is going to be a very good player. I prefer safeties to have natural ball skills. That is where Bigby struggles. He can make plays on the ball in front of him...but just about any secondary player in the NFL should be able to do that. Bigby gets lost when the ball is tossed up over his head.

Burnett may not start week 1...but he'll see significant time anyway and probably will be the starter by midseason.

rbaloha1
08-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Bigby ain't bad...he's a soild starter. However, I was touting Burnett early and often. I think this kid is going to be a very good player. I prefer safeties to have natural ball skills. That is where Bigby struggles. He can make plays on the ball in front of him...but just about any secondary player in the NFL should be able to do that. Bigby gets lost when the ball is tossed up over his head.

Burnett may not start week 1...but he'll see significant time anyway and probably will be the starter by midseason.

MB is currently #1 and shall remain with the first team for the length of this contract.

AB wanted a Collins or Jennings type k (Rosenhaus brainwashing). Suffice to say AB finds another team. (If Manuel and Roman can find teams why not AB -- just not the Packers.)

bobblehead
08-01-2010, 08:57 PM
There is a reason the DPOY has been raving about Burnett. This kid can be special and I believe we have already seen the best of what Bigby has to offer.

Is it the same reason he was raving about that safety we cut last year in camp??

Brandon494
08-01-2010, 09:15 PM
There is a reason the DPOY has been raving about Burnett. This kid can be special and I believe we have already seen the best of what Bigby has to offer.

Is it the same reason he was raving about that safety we cut last year in camp??

Are you talking about Rouse? If so I don't remember him raving about Rouse? I just tried to google and couldnt find anything on it either. Where did you read this?

bobblehead
08-02-2010, 01:42 AM

Are you talking about Rouse? If so I don't remember him raving about Rouse? I just tried to google and couldnt find anything on it either. Where did you read this?

No, anthony smith. Wood was pimping him in preseason and bitching about losing him when bigby got hurt last year. Smith has now been waived by 2 nfl teams and not tendered by a 3rd. Players make lousy GM's is all I'm saying. This isn't to say Burnett won't be awesome, but the DPOY raving about him means very little to me.

Brandon494
08-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Ah yea I forgot all about Smith. I think it had more to do with the fact that Smith had experience playing in the 3-4 more than his talent.