PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite CURRENT packer?

gabe
07-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Who is he and why?

The obvious Aaron Rodgers I'm sure is a top the list.

Mine has to be J. Finley. He is a beast and just scratching the surface of his potential. Plus the fact that I kept him in a 5 man keeper league (fantasy) and got made fun of for it. Who is your favorite and why?

Smidgeon
07-30-2010, 11:13 AM
I like Woodson and have since the day he came from Oakland. There's really no need to explain why unless there's a Packer fan that's been living under a rock.

Honorable mentions go to Collins, Jennings, Jenkins, Raji, Finley, and Matthews (in no particular order).

gabe
07-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Big ups on the honorable mentions: I can't get into it, because I'd name the WHOLE team....that's the problem with being a packer fan I guess.

Ashley (mazzin) Would deff respond Aaron Rodgers and mention how "hot" he is. :roll:

ThunderDan
07-30-2010, 11:51 AM
My current favorite Packer is ARod, with Matthews a close second.

As to who I have the most respect for their play it goes to Woodson without a doubt.

Lurker64
07-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Can it still be Rob Davis, since he graduated from Longsnapper to Director of Player Development?

b bulldog
07-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Clay Mathews on D and Finley on O.

SkinBasket
07-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Ashley (mazzin) Would deff respond Aaron Rodgers and mention how "hot" he is. :roll:

Ahhh. So you're THAT Gabe. Welcome aboard, though you seem to have missed the show by a year or two. What's left here is kind of meager, no offense to my fellow posters who remain. Get access to the garbage can and dive deep into our history to find all the good stuff.

pbmax
07-30-2010, 02:25 PM
1a Woodson, 1b Harris, 2. Rodgers 3. Driver 4. Tauscher

gabe
07-30-2010, 02:46 PM
The welcome is appreciated skin thanks. Yea I've been lurking and looking at the site, the same as Ashley, but with training camp starting I figured I would finally start posting

Brandon494
07-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Charles Woodson and Aaron Rodgers.....big shock I know

gabe
07-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Offense and Defense is a good idea....Deff Clay Mathews on def.

Think about how good morgan burnett should be, considering that he is only the second person TT has traded up to get...the first being who?

pittstang5
07-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Off. - Tauscher, because he he seems like a down to earth kinda guy.

Def. - Hawk - because I liked him coming out of college, prayed he become a Packer and even though he's not the flashiest player, simply put...he's a football player.

Would have said Kampman on Def., but we all know why.

pittstang5
07-30-2010, 04:20 PM

Think about how good morgan burnett should be, considering that he is only the second person TT has traded up to get...the first being who?

Jeremy Thompson

Joemailman
07-30-2010, 04:21 PM
The Donald

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/driver.jpg

Brandon494
07-30-2010, 04:27 PM

Jeremy Thompson

I think he meant Clay Matthews.

Lurker64
07-30-2010, 04:35 PM

Jeremy Thompson

Yeah, Thompson has traded up for 3 players:
Jeremy Thompson (2008)
Clay Matthews (2009)
Morgan Burnett (2010)

retailguy
07-30-2010, 04:36 PM

Jeremy Thompson

No, he meant Jeremy Thompson, who is the first person Ted traded up for. You must have been mistaken.

The Packers then added defensive end help 9 picks later (#102), in round 4, with the addition of Jeremy Thompson out of Wake Forrest. Thompson traded up for him with the Jets giving up picks #113 and 162.

http://www.profootballcentral.com/2008/04/28/green-bay-packers-2008-draft-nfl-wrap-up/

gabe
07-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Retail, I'm wrong on that. My knowledge is much more indepth. Brandon knew exactly what I meant. Am I right in assuming you are being a smart ass just to spite Brandon?

retailguy
07-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Retail, I'm wrong on that. My knowledge is much more indepth. Brandon knew exactly what I meant. Am I right in assuming you are being a smart ass just to spite Brandon?

Nope Gabe, wasn't spiting him. I am quite pissed at him, but the intent was to say - "hey, don't forget Jeremy Thompson". When Ted traded up, I stared at the screen with my mouth open in disbelief. I'll never forget that trade or pick. Disappointed it didn't work out, but it was worth the risk, I think.

I was just agreeing with pittstang that Thompson was the first trade-up.

Not even sure I read your post very clearly, even though it got quoted.

Apologies for the confusion, and welcome!

gabe
07-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks man, I heard that you and Ashley didn't get along the best, but no worries, lets be GOOD boi.

retailguy
07-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks man, I heard that you and Ashley didn't get along the best, but no worries, lets be GOOD boi.

Funny, I don't remember not getting along with her, in fact I always stood up for her when folks accused her of being tank, but I agree, lets get some good football talk going.

gbgary
07-30-2010, 06:15 PM
chuck, donald, and al.

mmmdk
07-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Rodgers on O,
Clay on D.

Dark horses would be BJ Raji & Finley.

MJZiggy
07-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Ted Thompson for putting the rest of 'em together.

RashanGary
07-31-2010, 11:27 AM
Favorite Packers ever

Reggie White
Charles Woodson

EDIT: Sterling Sharpe, Don Majikowski

Odd that both were UFAs. Rodgers has a chance to be in that list, but it's going to take more than half-a-year.

b bulldog
07-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Ever?
Reggie on D, Edgar Bennett on O

RashanGary
07-31-2010, 11:58 AM
How about current, bulldog?

Gotta be Wood, right?

I was watching a big ten network special on greatest duos. They had Woodson and I think it was Griese. Anyway. . .

Loyd Carr said Woodson was the greatest player he's ever coached. That's strong praise from a long time coach.

He sees the field differently than most players. He has always been special.

He might not make it into the NFL HOF, but I'm going to be an old guy some day, sitting around telling the youngsters about how Charles Woodson deserves to be in the NFL HOF. He is an amazing player. He says teams used to avoid him and that's why his numbers weren't as good as they could have been. I believe him.

packerbacker1234
07-31-2010, 12:59 PM
People "avoiding" him is what happens to Revis, which is why his numbers are good, but sometimes not great. When you really are that good, teams tend to stay away.

Favorite players currently on the team?

Offense: Donald Driver. I appreciate what Aaron Rodgers overcame, and I like his personality. I think Finley will be special and I am glad he is starting to make the right life choices to stay away from off the field issues. Jennings has never dissapointed me and naturally Mark Taucher is home grown and you have to love the success he has had. No one ever seems to give love to the OL.

I also really like Scott Wells, who we for some reason told wasn't going to start last season because of whatever BS reasons, and due to injury stepped in and did his job as always. I really felt bad for him getting screwed.

However, Donald Driver is the man. He defies age, defies logic at times, and has been the best overall packers WR the the last decade. Stand up guy, gives a lot to charities, maintains friendships even through hard times (claims to still be friends with Favre, etc), and loves to play the game. Fun personality, great player. Has had people doubting his abilities his entire career and all he does is keep showing up, getting 70+ catches, 1,000+ yards, a slew of td's, and a bunch of highlight reel catches. Was a 7th round wonder kid.

Defense: I really, really like Woodson. Not because of just how good he is, but because I think he carries the voice and dameanor of a champion. Bringing lambeau's speeches into the locker room for motivation, striking fear into the the opposing QB, and overall helping everyone around him become better. Guy is class all around, even if initially he didn't want to come to GB.

However, I have to say my personal favorite is Al Harris. Not only for how long he has played for us, but for the same reasons as driver. Phenominal work ethic, and when he was in his prime he was an ELITE CB, who rarely got recognition for being one of, if not the best shutdown corner in the NFL at the time. His opposing WR's seemed to CONSTANTLY praise him, and how they had never been shut down before like they were against Al, and still the media, the fans, no one seemed to give him his due.

Not that he suffered a major injury, and we have seen first hand how hard he has worked to not just come back, but come back and be a star again, fans are coming around, and hopefully his play will make the media as well

Donald and Al - if only every packer had the makeup these two have.

DonHutson
07-31-2010, 01:52 PM
I love Woodson. For the on the field stuff, but mostly because in Oakland he had the rep of a sullen douche who was always hurt and was only in it for the money.

In Green Bay he's been a team leader, a winner, a great citizen, and as tough as anybody.

No disrespect to Driver, Jennings, Rodgers, Harris, Matthews, and Pickett to name a few. All unselfish, hard working guys who love the game. There really seems to be a lot of good guys on the team right now.

Brandon494
07-31-2010, 02:59 PM
I love Woodson. For the on the field stuff, but mostly because in Oakland he had the rep of a sullen douche who was always hurt and was only in it for the money.

In Green Bay he's been a team leader, a winner, a great citizen, and as tough as anybody.

No disrespect to Driver, Jennings, Rodgers, Harris, Matthews, and Pickett to name a few. All unselfish, hard working guys who love the game. There really seems to be a lot of good guys on the team right now.

You can thank TT for that. Its funny, what happen to all the anit TT posters who claimed he had no idea what he was doing.

Brandon494
08-01-2010, 02:55 PM

Of course he was, I don't think he seems to like me much. :)

retailguy
08-01-2010, 03:01 PM

I remain mystified by your hypocrisy, carrot.

Brandon494
08-01-2010, 03:12 PM

I remain mystified by your hypocrisy, carrot.

Is that my new nickname? How cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobblehead
08-01-2010, 08:01 PM
For me its probably Al Harris. I tend to cheer for underappreciated "overachievers". Al is the emobodiment of what I like. too slow, practice squad guy, who keeps being told what he can't do....then he does it, shuts down the best in the game week after week and still can barely make an occassional pro bowl as an alternate.

He is also a grade A citizen.

MJZiggy
08-01-2010, 08:59 PM
For me its probably Al Harris. I tend to cheer for underappreciated "overachievers". Al is the emobodiment of what I like. too slow, practice squad guy, who keeps being told what he can't do....then he does it, shuts down the best in the game week after week and still can barely make an occassional pro bowl as an alternate.

He is also a grade A citizen.

That and he's wonderful with the press. Only dude I ever heard tell a reporter on camera that his was the dumbest question he'd ever been asked. He hazes new reporters. A joy to watch.

retailguy
08-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Josh Sitton. Just does his job, doesn't talk about it or brag about it. Is consistent, takes it seriously, works hard.

Class act.

Scott Campbell
08-02-2010, 08:43 AM

Good thing you make more money than he does.

Welcome!

Clay Mathews. He's got Kampman's motor, but with more talent.

Charles Woodson
08-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Charles Woodson, the way he turned around his career in Green Bay really shows his character. Jennings gets my vote for offense though.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Just got a #21 blue and gold throwback in the mail today.
:D

ND72
08-03-2010, 09:31 PM
A.J. Hawk....don't care, he's still my man. I guess I have a thing for long haired blondes, I love both Hawk & Matthews.

Rodgers is the man for sure on O with Finley a close 2nd.

All time favorites? Majik man was my hero as a kid, and Reggie I just love, still to this day I love the man.