PDA

View Full Version : What Will Justin Do?

Joemailman
07-30-2010, 05:46 PM
The world breathlessly awaits to see if Justin Harrell can make it through training camp. Actually, with the loss of Jolly, Harrell has a chance to be a key part of the DL if he can stay healthy.

retailguy
07-30-2010, 07:26 PM
I think he's hurt the first week. I just don't believe the back will hold up. Would be great to be wrong.

RashanGary
07-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

This year, it's not enough that he just plays in the preseason games. He's a veteran (maybe not much playing time, but mentally he's seen a lot. When he plays 1 good preseason games, I'll have my guard up. When he plays 2 good preseason games, I'll still have my guard up. When he plays 3 good preseason games, I'll start to get my hopes up. When he plays 4 good preseason games, I'll think of him like a 3rd round rookie (he has a chance, but not a great one).

And if he kicks ass, I'll be shocked.

wist43
07-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Is his back his only injury issue??

Actually, without Jolly, we really need Harrell.

RashanGary
07-30-2010, 09:49 PM
His back is his only injury. He had he bicep coming in (which is nothing now). I think he's had a few minor, nagging things here and there throughout his college and NFL career, but the Back thing is the only thing left and it's lingered for what now? 2-3 years?

Smidgeon
07-30-2010, 09:52 PM

I asked this in another thread, but I don't think I got an answer. Doesn't Spitz have the same back injury, a herniated disc?

swede
07-30-2010, 09:58 PM
I question JH's smarts, but he's been around long enough to learn what he needs to learn. You can get a lot of reading done in the tub, you know.

I don't think injuries will be a problem, but if he gets so much as a pulled hammy or a high ankle sprain before we can see JH contribute the Packers will finally cut him loose. I really do think he will be healthy, though.

I think Harrell showed signs of being a playmaker. He is particularly good at batting passes and stretching out a paw to snare a runner. He just couldn't stay on the field long enough to show his stuff, find his place, and craft a role for himself.

i say he's going to be healthy, find a role, and contribute.

Oh...and the large rabbit to my left is named Harvey.

Joemailman
07-30-2010, 10:04 PM

I asked this in another thread, but I don't think I got an answer. Doesn't Spitz have the same back injury, a herniated disc?

Same injury according to this source:

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2010/6/9/1508631/start-daryn-colledge-jason-spitz

Spitz is returning from the same back surgery that DE Justin Harrell had to remove a herniated disk. Despite that bad comparison, he should back at full strength in 2010. The coaches seem to love him, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them make sure he has a starting job somewhere on the line.

Smidgeon
07-30-2010, 10:24 PM

Same injury according to this source:

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2010/6/9/1508631/start-daryn-colledge-jason-spitz

Spitz is returning from the same back surgery that DE Justin Harrell had to remove a herniated disk. Despite that bad comparison, he should back at full strength in 2010. The coaches seem to love him, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them make sure he has a starting job somewhere on the line.

Thanks. I had thought I'd read that somewhere, but couldn't find it.

get louder at lambeau
07-30-2010, 10:30 PM
What will Justin do? So THAT's what all those weird fuckers driving arround with WWJD? bumper stickers mean. Ohhhhh.

bobblehead
07-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Backs are funny things. I have a herniated disc (pretty bad one) in the middle of my back and it doesn't hurt a bit. My wife has a minor one and it hurts her like a bitch.

Some people heal up quick, some take a long time, some never do.

So my answer to "what will JH do?" Who the fuck knows, but I hope the time off has gotten him right. He has had the best trainers money can buy, so he has a shot...he is a massive man and could be very good. I'm hoping, but I put it at about 50/50 right now.

CaliforniaCheez
07-30-2010, 11:42 PM
I would be laughing and enjoying a Pro Bowl season from him.

If any little thing happens to his back he will be cut and given an injury settlement. No doubt about that!!

If anyone got hurt (and I hope they don't knock on wood) his chances improve considerably.

I hope he has a good long camp and the decision is difficult.

mmmdk
07-31-2010, 10:03 AM
I hope JH makes it but I think the injury bugs get him - again.

packerbacker1234
07-31-2010, 01:12 PM
I didn't like him when we drafted him. I hated him after he couldn't stay on the field. The guy had one productive college year, then got hurt, and he was still considered a top pick on the TT board? Look if he works out after putting inuries behind him, great, but I haven't seen anything form the minimal field time he has had that shows he is a "good" player. This is his make or break year, especially since he and the packers are reporting ZERO injuries effecting him, making this the first time I think we have had him at "full strength". It's now or never.

I think he makes the roster as the final DL, but ends up on IR, then cut after the season at some point. It's one thing to have a series of unforunate incidents happen, but his body just doesn't agree with football. A continual back problem doesn't just "go away".

ThunderDan
07-31-2010, 01:33 PM
I didn't like him when we drafted him. I hated him after he couldn't stay on the field. The guy had one productive college year, then got hurt, and he was still considered a top pick on the TT board? Look if he works out after putting inuries behind him, great, but I haven't seen anything form the minimal field time he has had that shows he is a "good" player. This is his make or break year, especially since he and the packers are reporting ZERO injuries effecting him, making this the first time I think we have had him at "full strength". It's now or never.

I think he makes the roster as the final DL, but ends up on IR, then cut after the season at some point. It's one thing to have a series of unforunate incidents happen, but his body just doesn't agree with football. A continual back problem doesn't just "go away".

Well, in part time duty in 2007 and 2008 he had 28 tackles in 13 games. So he averaged over 2 tackles a game at DT.

In comparison Cullen Jenkins in 2007 and 2008 had 57 tackles in 20 games as our starting DT. Which is a little under 3 tackles a game.

So in vastly limited time, JH only averaged less than a tackle a game than our staring DT.

packerbacker1234
07-31-2010, 01:38 PM
It's not about tackles to me though. Someone could have 400 hundred tackles, it's about what he is doing that actually postively affects our defense on the field. What "impact" is he having. He didn't seem to have any. I think any "DT" would be able to ge ta couple tackels a game no matter how good they are, don't you think?

ThunderDan
07-31-2010, 01:42 PM
It's not about tackles to me though. Someone could have 400 hundred tackles, it's about what he is doing that actually postively affects our defense on the field. What "impact" is he having. He didn't seem to have any. I think any "DT" would be able to ge ta couple tackels a game no matter how good they are, don't you think?

JH was constantly in the backfield disrupting plays, shed the double team effectively and held the point of attack very well. If anything I was pissed about his injuries because in the limited snaps he has taken he did flash enormous potential.

As a question, how does someone make 400 tackles and not make a positive impact on a team?

DonHutson
07-31-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't know why, because I've been writing him off for two years already, but I just have a feeling this could be his year to keep it together.

I've been fed up with him in the past, but hell... a lot of guys with a big signing bonus in the bank would've just given up by now. He just keeps coming back for more.

So I think he takes advantage of his opportunity to some degree this year.

packerbacker1234
07-31-2010, 02:01 PM

JH was constantly in the backfield disrupting plays, shed the double team effectively and held the point of attack very well. If anything I was pissed about his injuries because in the limited snaps he has taken he did flash enormous potential.

As a question, how does someone make 400 tackles and not make a positive impact on a team?

Well, it was an overexageration. There are MLB that get 100 tackles in a season but really only got them by default, not because they made a real impact.

MJZiggy
07-31-2010, 02:18 PM

Well, it was an overexageration. There are MLB that get 100 tackles in a season but really only got them by default, not because they made a real impact.

DT and MLB are vastly different positions. If the runner gets stopped by the DT, he's not making any yardage. If he's not stopped 'til he gets to the linebacker, he is. In a game of inches, that vastly changes your down and distance. Or you don't mind second and 5 rather than 2nd and 11?

get louder at lambeau
07-31-2010, 02:29 PM

That might be overstating it, but I agree with the concept. Harrell looked pretty good when he was out there in his rookie year, and would be a great fit at 3-4 DE and possibly as one of the nickel linemen too. He's 6'4" 315 and strong as hell. If Harrell can stay healthy, he'll be a real positive for our DL.

ThunderDan
07-31-2010, 02:38 PM

If an MLB doesn't make that tackle down the field it usually is a foot race to the endzone against the DBs. The D has to make a stop on every play be it a tackle, an incomplete pass or a runner running out of bounds. There are no default tackles. Sure it may look easy or a guy wrapping up on a RB that has already been hit but if the player doesn't make the play it becomes a potential scoring event for the Offense.