PDA

View Full Version : Sam Bradford Signs

Joemailman
07-30-2010, 09:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5425041

78 million over 6 years with 50 million guaranteed. Could possibly be worth 86 million. The insanity continues.

retailguy
07-30-2010, 09:14 PM
that's nuts. plain and simple it's nuts.

packerbacker1234
07-30-2010, 10:18 PM
It is. So he gets virtually 13 mil a year, like he is already an elite QB? Wtf is that shit. Look, this is a perfect example of why the CBA needs to address rookie salaries. The guy could fucking tank and wreck that organizations payroll for 6 seasons.

I have no qualm with Bradford - he should be trying to get all the money he can because hey, he even knows he could tank, but either way, he tanks with 50 mil in his pocket.

For that money, he better be starter week one. I think he is the highest paid player on the team. You don't toss him that money and make him ride the bench, that's for sure.

CaliforniaCheez
07-30-2010, 11:34 PM
That is why everyone wants to trade down from the top spots.

Think how many other players you could sign for 50 -86 million dollars without risking a bust.

channtheman
07-31-2010, 03:52 AM
Could he now say "I'm done. I don't want to play football." and take his 50 million? Or does he have to play?

MJZiggy
07-31-2010, 06:07 AM
It is. So he gets virtually 13 mil a year, like he is already an elite QB? Wtf is that shit. Look, this is a perfect example of why the CBA needs to address rookie salaries. The guy could fucking tank and wreck that organizations payroll for 6 seasons.

I have no qualm with Bradford - he should be trying to get all the money he can because hey, he even knows he could tank, but either way, he tanks with 50 mil in his pocket.

For that money, he better be starter week one. I think he is the highest paid player on the team. You don't toss him that money and make him ride the bench, that's for sure.

Can someone send a note to a certain purple QB and let him know this rookie is making the exact same money as him this year? How many holdouts will result from this one?

Brandon494
07-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Good for Bradford, I like the kid but thats way too much money for a rookie. Hopefully they will have a rookie cap within the next few years.

ThunderDan
07-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Could he now say "I'm done. I don't want to play football." and take his 50 million? Or does he have to play?

No he can't do that. That would breach the contract and make it void.

He can show up and put no effort into it.

packerbacker1234
07-31-2010, 01:07 PM

No he can't do that. That would breach the contract and make it void.

He can show up and put no effort into it.

What this does is essentially make him 50 mil without having to do anything. He could ride the pine, he could play every day and suck it up, and he could get injured. Either way, he pockets 50 mil so long as he doesn't "quit" the game. It's guarenteed money. As long as he sticks around, it's his.

I am not upset at bradford - he was able to get a monster contract and ensure his future even if he fails at the NFL level, but the fact the contracts can get like this for an unproven player is laughable.

I thought the same last year with staffords deal, but I couldn't blame the lions who needed to give some reason for fans to show up. This deal is even worse. People talked about how "it's only an 8% increase" - dude, stafford had what, 41 mil guarenteed? 50 mil is a big jump from that. Not to mention the years and the potential to make 86 mil.

This is a sort of deal Peyton Manning makes, Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre in his prime, even Philip Rivers - this isn't the type of deal a ROOKIE is suppose to get. Seriously, the rams had better be praying that Stafford is the next elite QB rookie sensation, because if he isn't they have fucked themselves for the next half a decade.

Guiness
07-31-2010, 03:32 PM
And the Rams get the booby prize of having what I think will be the last of these contracts.

No way does the new CB not address rookie salaries, no one, including the NHLPA and likely all rookies after the first half of the first round, want this.