PDA

View Full Version : Submit your entries for the famous fence!

GBRulz
08-03-2006, 10:24 AM
For those of you who have never been to Lambeau, this is a fence of a resident who lives directly across from Lambeau Field. The fence gets painted with a new slogan each year and has become a landmark in the city.
__________________________________________________ _________________
Familiar Packers fixture ready for another coat, quote

Entries for famous fence near Lambeau due by Sept. 4

By Kelly McBride
kmcbride@greenbaypressgazette.com

During months of speculation about his status as a Green Bay Packer, the team's most famous face became, perhaps, its most famous fence-sitter.

So it would come as little surprise if Brett Favre's will-he, won't-he retirement speculation morphed into a witty phrase for another well-known fence — the Lombardi Avenue surface that draws hundreds of slogan suggestions every year.

Fence painter Christopher Handler is accepting entries for this year's installment of the Lambeau Field-facing fence that in May received an award from Green Bay's Historic Preservation Com-mission.

A green-and-gold fixture since 1984, the fence showcases a new Packers'-themed slogan every season. Handler and fence owner Fred Harrsch pore through hundreds of suggestions in choosing the winner.

"It has to work — the timing, the era of this year," said Handler, who plans to paint the fence in early September.

Handler and Harrsch received more than 500 submissions from all over the country and into Canada for last year's contest.

The fence has become a familiar fixture, and in addition to its historic preservation status has been the site of an engagement and has been featured in a book about the green and gold.

There's a lot to love about painting the Packer fence, Handler said. After the Sept. 4 slogan deadline, he plans to put the new phrase up either Sept. 5 or Sept. 6.

"The excitement, the hype," he said, "to have everybody see that. That's all I want, is to have everybody drive by (and) honk the horn."

E-mail your suggestion to Christopher Handler at handy-e-vita-man@sbcglobal.net or mail them to 3104 Essen Road, Green Bay, WI 54311. Maximum message length is 34 letters. Entries must be submitted by Sept. 4.

MJZiggy
08-03-2006, 10:28 AM
I've never seen the fence. Do you remember some of the old slogans?

GBRulz
08-03-2006, 10:33 AM
http://www.packer.com/tour/tourimages/steves_fence.jpeg

HOME FIELD IS A SNAP WITH OUR WINTERS

This was one of my faves. I honestly can't remember any off hand, even though I drive past it every damn day!

ahaha
08-03-2006, 11:34 AM
"Favre till he's 50"

ahaha
08-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Coming soon "M3 - The Return of the Ring"

ahaha
08-03-2006, 11:47 AM
"For this season we can't wait...so let's all go masturbate!"

Whoa! Too ahead of it's time.

Sorry, too much coffee and nicotine this morning. nnnnnggghhh! I'll stop now.

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 11:50 AM
"Favre till he's 50"

FAVRE FOR FAITH and FORTY. :mrgreen:

woodbuck27 and PACKERRATS

HOLD THE FAITH - GO PACKERS !

Deputy Nutz
08-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Time for the Packers to Soar like a Hawk

How cheesy is that?

ahaha
08-03-2006, 12:07 PM

How cheesy is that?

Maybe a little bit, but that's what this sign is usually about. I could see this one winning.

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 12:16 PM

How cheesy is that?

No NO - That's REAL good Dr. Nutz.

HOLD THE FAITH - PACKERS !!

ahaha
08-03-2006, 01:53 PM
The G-Team. Wherever there is football injustice, they'll be there.

http://jajajeremy.tripod.com/my_sweet_pictures/thumbnails/400x300/jkarwa_copy.jpg

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 02:28 PM
The G-Team. Wherever there is football injustice, they'll be there.

http://jajajeremy.tripod.com/my_sweet_pictures/thumbnails/400x300/jkarwa_copy.jpg

TOUGHER - than the Brady Bunch !

pittstang5
08-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Dam.....now I have the A-team theme song stuck in my head.

MJZiggy
08-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Gado soar like a Hawk

I personally like GBM's contribution
The Mystique Returns
TT + MM + JJ = Danger Zone

Is anybody sending these in?

Badgepack
08-03-2006, 03:04 PM
The choice is obvious:

PACKERRATS.COM

Joemailman
08-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Vince wants his trophy back! (Well, maybe we should save this one for a year or two. I don't think we're ready.)

Bretsky
08-03-2006, 08:09 PM
For those of you who have never been to Lambeau, this is a fence of a resident who lives directly across from Lambeau Field. The fence gets painted with a new slogan each year and has become a landmark in the city.
__________________________________________________ _________________
Familiar Packers fixture ready for another coat, quote

Entries for famous fence near Lambeau due by Sept. 4

By Kelly McBride
kmcbride@greenbaypressgazette.com

During months of speculation about his status as a Green Bay Packer, the team's most famous face became, perhaps, its most famous fence-sitter.

So it would come as little surprise if Brett Favre's will-he, won't-he retirement speculation morphed into a witty phrase for another well-known fence — the Lombardi Avenue surface that draws hundreds of slogan suggestions every year.

Fence painter Christopher Handler is accepting entries for this year's installment of the Lambeau Field-facing fence that in May received an award from Green Bay's Historic Preservation Com-mission.

A green-and-gold fixture since 1984, the fence showcases a new Packers'-themed slogan every season. Handler and fence owner Fred Harrsch pore through hundreds of suggestions in choosing the winner.

"It has to work — the timing, the era of this year," said Handler, who plans to paint the fence in early September.

Handler and Harrsch received more than 500 submissions from all over the country and into Canada for last year's contest.

The fence has become a familiar fixture, and in addition to its historic preservation status has been the site of an engagement and has been featured in a book about the green and gold.

There's a lot to love about painting the Packer fence, Handler said. After the Sept. 4 slogan deadline, he plans to put the new phrase up either Sept. 5 or Sept. 6.

"The excitement, the hype," he said, "to have everybody see that. That's all I want, is to have everybody drive by (and) honk the horn."

E-mail your suggestion to Christopher Handler at handy-e-vita-man@sbcglobal.net or mail them to 3104 Essen Road, Green Bay, WI 54311. Maximum message length is 34 letters. Entries must be submitted by Sept. 4.

THE PACKERRATS GRAIL RAIL

Joemailman
08-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Don't Be Fatalistic, Be Grailistic!

GBRulz
08-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Don't Be Fatalistic, Be Grailistic!

You should have stopped while you were ahead with your first suggestion :roll:

Joemailman
08-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Free Beer At Michele's After The Game! :razz:

MJZiggy
08-04-2006, 09:17 PM
I LOVE that new sig, Joe.

GBRulz
08-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Free Beer At Michele's After The Game! :razz:

Hmm, how about a sign that says "free beer tomorrow"

NewsBruin
08-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Free beer yesterday and free beer tomorrow, but never free beer today.

GBRulz
09-05-2006, 09:02 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060905/GPG0101/609050522/1978

Fence gets new slogan — and it's not about Favre

Some disappointed; painter says #4's been on there a lot

By Paul Brinkmann
pbrinkma@greenbaypressgazette.com

And the winner is … Nancy Hucke of Oconomowoc. Sorta.

The famous Lombardi Avenue fence near Lambeau Field got a new slogan Monday: "Hear Poppinga pop on D Pickett Fence."

The painter, Christopher Handler of Green Bay, said Hucke submitted the winning idea, but he modified her suggestion a little.

There was a lot of honking and waving while Handler painted, but some people on Lombardi later expressed disappointment the slogan didn't mention quarterback Brett Favre.

"I agree, but Favre has been on there a lot," Handler said. "I'm just a painter. I can't please everybody."

Hucke, who couldn't be reached for comment, wins a copy of the book "Green, Gold and Proud: Portraits, Stories and Traditions of the Greatest Fans in the World," a gift certificate from the Packers Pro Shop and a free paint job of a bedroom or similar space.

Handler said he received more than 500 slogans via mail and e-mail. The final slogan refers to Packers No. 51, linebacker Brady Poppinga, and No. 79, defensive tackle Ryan Pickett. Handler said the "pop" refers to the sound of shoulder pads hitting.

The landmark fence has carried slogans in green and yellow paint since the mid-1980s. For the last four years, Handler paints the fence on Fred Harrsch's property.

Passer-by Jackie Jewell of Ashwaubenon said she was let down.

"They went for alliteration and it ended up being moronic," Jewell said. "It should've been about Favre."