PDA

View Full Version : live updates from packers training camp!

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 12:59 PM
Hey guys, I'm at training camp. I'm going to post live updates. I'm using my blackberry so forgive me if the post contain some short hand.

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Its drizzling here and the sky is gray. Packers staff is setting equip up though. Stands are filling up nicely. I would be surprised if it wasn't a full house. And the new facility is amazing!

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 01:04 PM
The practice fields run together. Two full sized fields back to back. Score boards at each end. Grass is the same as it is in lambeau. Rain has just picked up.

ThunderDan
07-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the "live" stream.

I am jealous that you are up there. Only 14 days until the Cleveland game.

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 01:09 PM
Stands are made of steel. They look cool but someone is gunna take a wicked fall cause they r super slick right now.

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the "live" stream.

I am jealous that you are up there. Only 14 days until the Cleveland game.

Ur welcome. Its great to have the packers back front and center. Football season is the best! Let's hope the owners and players don't ruin it.

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 01:14 PM
Everyone in the stands is decked out in grn and gold. Pack fans r the best. Aftr watching hard kncks on hbo it really shows u that not every team has this kind of following. Still raining. No players here yet.

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Score boards just turned on. They r pretty cool. I wish I wasn't so dumb and knew how to post photos from my blkbery to the site. Oh well

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 01:23 PM
Punter tim masthay was the first to arrive. Nobody wanted his autograph. He was wearing a white away jersey.

Punter chris bryan just walked in. No autograph seekers hounded him either.

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 01:25 PM
The packers have really improved the tc experience. They have staff working the stands, a snack bar and music playing. Top hits stuff - kesha, shit like that. A woman just announced "players r on their way down!". Shakira now rockin it out. Sexy girl but shit song. I'm a shewolf fan! Ha ha

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Morgan burnett is out. Looks built. Nfl ready. Really xcited to see him play.

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Sam shields fielding punts. Hasn't dropped one yet.

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Marshall newhouse looks like hell need some time. He looks like hell get pushed around. Stands are packed. Standing room only. Bulaga is out. Oh man, what a monster. Big and ugly! Great gb linemen!!!

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 01:52 PM
The brace on langs wrist is noticeable but no real bulky.

Our d linemen look like workout junkies. My god these guys r built.

Jordy now fielding punts.

Swain is out here. He is full go.

Blackman looks bigger in the legs. Don't know if that is good or bad.

Fyi - don't show up at 155pm and expect a seat.

DonHutson
07-31-2010, 02:00 PM
Sam shields fielding punts. Hasn't dropped one yet.

Is he attempting returns in live action? I know he's fast, but I'd like to know if he can change direction and make people miss.

get louder at lambeau
07-31-2010, 02:00 PM
Great stuff, gbpackfan. Thanks.

If you want to try uploading photos from your Blackberry, try this-
http://itookthisonmyphone.com/

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 02:02 PM
Blackman just caught a punt behind his back!

I still can't get over how short wells is compared to the other o linemen.

Stretching now. Raining harder then ever.

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Al harris and woodson are running and stretching. No pads on though.

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Colledge and hall r first team at their positions.

Burnett starting ss.

Woodson has his pads on now. Is practicing.

Team walk throughs now.

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 02:29 PM
Breno G is second team rt.

Grant busted off a nice run.

Bulaga just handled matthews!

Quinn j is a monster.

Harrell throws an ugly ball. Yikes.

Lurker64
07-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Harrell throws an ugly ball. Yikes.

Presumably you mean Graham and not Justin, but the latter is a funnier mental image.

Speaking of the girthier Harrell, seen anything?

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Jarius wynn looked great in team drills. Busted up several plays.

Chris bryan is killing the ball!

Burnett looks good.

Great pass d by brad jones!

Phone batt going dead. Ahhh

CaliforniaCheez
07-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Thank You!! You are doing a better job than Lori Nickel who complains security made her put her umbrella down.

Brandon494
07-31-2010, 03:12 PM

Morgan Burnett will be our starting SS this year. No offense to Bigby but this guy has too much talent to be on the bench.

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 03:16 PM
Quarless dropped 2 of 4 in te drills. Barely caught the 4th pass. Rock hands.

Swain with a drop. A rod fired it and it clanked off swains hands.

Drive still looks great.

A rod is so much better than any othe qb. Its not even close. Is that good or bad?

The polar bear is at midfield. Alone.

Collins just made a sweet catch. He is so athletic. Peprah just missed one collins would have had. Burnett just dropped one too! The drill is designed to simulate a 40 yard deep pass to the corner. Blackmon tried to catch it with one hand. Some one in the crowd yelled "nice try buckley" when he dropped it. Coach yelled "two hands will!"

Long snapper continues to b the best job in football. Maybe on the planet. He's got a great view of the action and has worked for about 5 min.

More rain.

D lee nice finger tip catch over the middle!

Bulaga and clifton r working side by side. Clifton is thicker but bulaga might b taller.

Some more slower stuff now.

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Batt real close to dying. Ill post till my phone shuts off.

Lurker64
07-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Long snapper continues to b the best job in football. Maybe on the planet. He's got a great view of the action and has worked for about 5 min.

And yet, you have the one job on a football team that you absolutely cannot screw up.

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Mm and bigby talking. Bigby looks disappointed he's not out there.

Wrs vs dbs now!

Justin harell is just a guy so far.

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 03:24 PM
Dd beat wood

Greg schooled williams.

Lee broke up a pass to dillion.

Swain drop againt shields.

Bell nice break up!

Woodson, dd part 2. Dd beat wood deap on a sweet double move. Holy shit!

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Burnett nice tackle in team.

Bell did a great job in one v ones.

Br. Jack broke off a nice run.

Harrell in on d.

Catch by finely. He is a man amongst boys. Looks bigger than everyone!

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 03:36 PM
Tramon blanket coverage on jennings. Incomplete deep ball. Wow.

Burnett playing close to line a lot in team. Taking good angles so far.

Spitz is second team c.

More great coverage by josh bell. Incomplete long ball from flynn to gore.

A rod just threw a ball 70 yards in the air. Complete to jordy over the middle. Wow.

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Tramon all over jenningas.

A large duck just dive bombed the reporters. Caused quite a stir. Funny as hell.

Hall false start. A rod pissed.

Grant catches swing pass from rod. Looked good aftr catch.

Blackmon just laid out quarless over the mid. Q hung on to ball though!

red
07-31-2010, 04:19 PM
great stuff

pittstang5
07-31-2010, 04:58 PM

Morgan Burnett will be our starting SS this year. No offense to Bigby but this guy has too much talent to be on the bench.

Probably, but I'm thinking by default due to an injury to Bigby. If Bigby gets and stays healthy....he's the starter 1st day.

(I too like burnett and I hope I'm wrong....but Burnett is a rookie, Bigby's got more experience.)

rbaloha1
07-31-2010, 05:06 PM

Recall Collins was instantly assigned #36 -- MB was instantly assigned #42 for the same reason.

b bulldog
07-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Taking my two boys to the am practice tomorrow, can't wait.

get louder at lambeau
07-31-2010, 05:37 PM
Taking my two boys to the am practice tomorrow, can't wait.

Get there early if you can; the seats fill up fast. I went last year. It's not a game, but it's pretty cool. Have fun and keep us updated.

Brandon494
07-31-2010, 05:38 PM

Probably, but I'm thinking by default due to an injury to Bigby. If Bigby gets and stays healthy....he's the starter 1st day.

(I too like burnett and I hope I'm wrong....but Burnett is a rookie, Bigby's got more experience.)

I see what your saying but you can't discredit Burnett's talent just because he is rookie, look at what Clay Matthews last season for us.

The main reason I would rather have Burnett starting over Bigby is the games we lost last season we really struggled in pass coverage and thats where Burnett has the huge edge over Bigby. Bigby is a better run stopper but we were #1 in the league last season in run defense and its not like Burnett is Daren Sharper at tackling.

Gunakor
07-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Bigby is a better run stopper but we were #1 in the league last season in run defense and its not like Burnett is Daren Sharper at tackling.

It's not like Bigby is Marquand Manuel in pass coverage either.

Brandon494
07-31-2010, 05:41 PM
Bigby is a better run stopper but we were #1 in the league last season in run defense and its not like Burnett is Daren Sharper at tackling.

It's not like Bigby is Marquand Manuel in pass coverage either.

Dude get over your man crush of Bigby. Once the season starts we'll see who is right on who the better safety is.

mission
07-31-2010, 05:47 PM
great thread thanks!

hopefully we can get rat updates nearly every day of camp ! (?)

RashanGary
07-31-2010, 05:47 PM
A few things I noticed. I just read through the packersnews.com twitter feed and they did a really nice job. But I'll add a few things I noticed.

They had a pass rushing drill where one DL lined up over the tackle and the guard was also in the play. So it was 2 OL against 1 DL. They couldn't double, which ever lineman the DE went after was one on one. So it was essentially 1 on 1's. During this drill, Mike Neal exploded right through TJ Lang. It was the most impressive pass rush of the drill. I sat there with my eyes wide for a few seconds. It was one play against a backup lineman, but it was a very impressive rush. That is a sack almost every time.

Giacomini looked surprisingly sturdy at RT. He really held up well against all takers.

Justin Harrell burned EDS. He ran at him like it was going to be a bull rush, then kind of hopped up, made himself skinny and slid right past him for a would be sack. Another good rush.

Barbre got torched, don't remember by who, but he just waived the guy right passed him.

I compared Flynn's arm to Rodgers. Rodgers has more velocity, but Flynn was still throwing well. Flynn completed a 40 yard pass on a rope, so it's not like he's throwing ducks. And he was impressively accurate. I wanted to take a look at Flynn.

Sam Shields was breaking up a lot of passes. He's really good at breaking forward at the ball. I saw him jump in front of several passes.

Pat Lee was also doing a good job batting down balls. It was exciting to see that.

Finley is a beast, just a monster out there at TE.

My brother was watching Raji alot, said he did a nice job on Wells a couple times in team drills.

Jennings was having a tough time with Tramon Williams. Williams kept breaking up passes with great coverage. Hopefully that says more about Williams than Jennings.

RashanGary
07-31-2010, 05:53 PM
My biggest surprises were Sam Shields and Breno Giacomini.

Giacomini just looked confident in his sets. I don't know if I'm describing this well, but you know how an OT looks when he's doing it right. He kicks out, is balanced, sets and punches with coordination and authority. . . That's how giacomini looked. He just looked very sure of his technique and I guess the bottom line is effectiveness, so the best thing is that he was effective.

Shields was all over the ball. He breaks really well on passes in front of him. Will be interesting to see how it comes together for him.

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 06:07 PM
Hey, sorry the live updates stopped. My cell died. I will be at the next three practices and will have live updates for each one. Some more thoughts.

JustinHarrell is spot on about Neal. This guy is a beast. Best pass rushing skills today. And Harrell had one good rush but then fell down on the next one. He looked so-so. But he is a big boy, maybe the lights will turn on this year. Maybe he can stay healthy.

Tramon Williams looked great. Shut down Jennings all day.

Driver was the best WR on the field. My god, he's still got it. Those two battles with Wood were sweet. DD won both.

James Jones was better than Jordy Nelson today. Its only one day, but right now, Jones is your 3.

Brad Jones was not in the team drills at the end of practive. Poppinga was the starter. Ahhh! When are the Packers going to realize this guy is not a starter. TT will be making a huge mistake if Popp is the starter week 1.

I know I have said this before, but if you have never seen Finley in person, you need to. Not only is he the biggest TE on the field, he is the biggest player. He's built and tall as hell. Soft hands, caught everything and can flat out fly. The guy is a flat out freak of nature. How 31 GMs passed on him, Ill never know.

Sam Shields had a pick six! Didnt do any live returns so I dont know how he'll do there. Pretty neat little player though.

No one stood out as a no. 5 WR. Just a bunch of guys. So far.

O linemen McDonald got whipped all day long. Bad day.

Marshall Newhouse had a rough day too. Thin lower legs and needs work in the upper body. Just like a texted before, he'll need some time.

Clifton and Tausch looked great.

Will Blackman did not look out of place. Its hard to tell from one practice, but he may actually stick at S.

Burnett had a tough time with the deep balls today. In drills he had one bounce of his hands like they were made of bricks. During live team sessions he was no where to be found when the ball was thrown deep and to the outside. That being said, he took good angles to the ball during the run periods and is super athletic. I think he will be starting week 1. I think he has way more upside than Bigby.

Any questions?

gbpackfan
07-31-2010, 06:09 PM
Great stuff, gbpackfan. Thanks.

If you want to try uploading photos from your Blackberry, try this-
http://itookthisonmyphone.com/

thanks! I will give it a try. no promises. lol :D

pack4to84
07-31-2010, 07:04 PM
thanks for the live update gbpackfan. I might be up on Monday or Tuesday.

Brandon494
07-31-2010, 08:08 PM
I hear Brandon Chillar was getting reps at OLB, if true I like this move. He would compete with Brad Jones for the starting job and would also give Bishop more reps at MLB.

CaliforniaCheez
08-01-2010, 12:05 AM
When you do this again can you watch the new guys and give a few more updates on them?

Bulaga and Neal mostly.

Appreciated the updates on Burnett, Quarless, and Newhouse.

Then I would like impressions on the improvements made by second year players like Underwood, Wynn, Raji, Johnson, Deitrich-Smith, etc.

Thanks again for what you are doing. It is appreciated very much!!

Spaulding
08-01-2010, 07:12 AM
Delayed thanks GBPackFan for the awesome updates. Really appreciate it as my addiction for Green and Gold football is being filled nicely by your excellent work!