PDA

View Full Version : Early training camp predictions

bobblehead
08-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Ok, I'm starting with the position I like to watch, the OL.

I'm going to shock and awe here with some wild calls.

Allen Babre wins the LG job and the pack deals College at the end of camp for whatever they can get for him. Babre was mentally lost at RT, but inside he should be better off and not have to take on speed rushers. He still has that low center of gravity and is an athletic freak.

I think it breaks down like this. MM keeps 9 (he has every year I think).

Starting: Clifton, Babre, Wells, Sitton, Tauscher

Backups: Bulaga, Spitz (just for his versatility), Lang and Giocomini (who is make or break without a doubt....he will be the backup RT). Now, Langs writst might land him in some weird position, I don't think he is ready and that sucks, its will cost him a starting LG spot this year.

EDS simply loses to Spitz because spitz backs up the entire interior, that makes him valuable. Newhouse seems like a practice squad candidate. Maybe Campbell too as he seems like that LT project we tried to PS last year (the guy who went to buffalo).

The other guys likely get cut outright. I think my huge reach is Babre beating out college and then trading college. I see it this way for 2 reasons. College likely has the most trade value as a multi year starter, and we want to keep Lang (who will get healthy) and Giocomini as future starters. Lang may be starting at LG by week 6 with Babre being cut outright at that point if he looks bad (think ahmad carrol) and then we would promote a practice squad guy.

The other scenario is the boring but predictable, everything like I said above, but College keeps the job and Babre gets cut at the end of camp.

retailguy
08-01-2010, 01:16 PM
I said at the beginning that I thought Lang had a shot for RT, maybe thats Breno instead?

Interesting.

pbmax
08-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Allen Babre wins the LG job and the pack deals College at the end of camp for whatever they can get for him. Babre was mentally lost at RT, but inside he should be better off and not have to take on speed rushers. He still has that low center of gravity and is an athletic freak.
What changed since two years ago when he was handed the job and lost it to Colledge in camp?

Brandon494
08-01-2010, 01:29 PM
What changed since two years ago when he was handed the job and lost it to Colledge in camp?

Babre won't even make the team let alone win a starting job.

Brandon494
08-01-2010, 01:34 PM
IF healthy I believe our best starting line would be

Starting: Clifton, Spitz Wells, Sitton, Tauscher

Bench: Buluga Colledge EDS Giacomini Lang (in no order)

curtis loew
08-01-2010, 01:43 PM
I hope they trade/cut that bum colledge

rbaloha1
08-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Barbre has athletic talent but is easily fooled by counter moves. Do not expect to make the roster.

Its encouraging to read about BG -- a big man with nice feet (former te). Maybe the light finally went on.

bobblehead
08-01-2010, 07:30 PM
I said at the beginning that I thought Lang had a shot for RT, maybe thats Breno instead?

Interesting.

Lang is hurt and I think it will set him back. If he were healthy I think he would be a lock to win the LG spot which is where MM seems to think he is best (and is our weakest link).

bobblehead
08-01-2010, 07:34 PM

I don't recall him being handed the job, I recall it being an open competition that he lost. What changed? College hasn't really improved (I have been one of the biggest DC supporters in the past), and I think Babre has improved in certain areas. He is still too slow at reading things to play tackle as I pretty much was ready to shoot him last season.

Part of this equation is that I don't think they packers see either guy as the LG of the future, that is Lang. I think at the end of camp you can land a 5th for college and if the competition is equal that will settle it, and like I said, Lang likely is the starter by week 6 when he is fully healed.

bobblehead
08-01-2010, 07:35 PM

Babre won't even make the team let alone win a starting job.

that is possible, I am making a bold prediction. I see him starting game 1 at LG, just my hunch.

bobblehead
08-01-2010, 07:36 PM

So, for the first time, you think MM keeps 10 linemen, 2 of which are pure centers?

Brandon494
08-01-2010, 09:09 PM

So, for the first time, you think MM keeps 10 linemen, 2 of which are pure centers?

No, thats just what I would do....

Our starting O-line will be Clifton, Colledge, Wells, Sittion, and Tauscher with Buluga, Lang, Spitz, and Giacomini on the bench. I think Spitz's versatility to play all three interior positions when keep him on the bench even though I think he is a better center than Wells.

bobblehead
08-02-2010, 01:45 AM

No, thats just what I would do....

Our starting O-line will be Clifton, Colledge, Wells, Sittion, and Tauscher with Buluga, Lang, Spitz, and Giacomini on the bench. I think Spitz's versatility to play all three interior positions when keep him on the bench even though I think he is a better center than Wells.

Fair enough. I personally think if spitz is a better starter than anyone of the first 5 he starts. Can't see an NFL team keeping a guy on the bench for an inferior player just so he can be a multi position backup.

pack4to84
08-02-2010, 07:28 AM
I don't think Spitz can beat out Colledge at LG. Spitz is not very good at LG. He is more of a C/RG. Barbre only chance at making the roster is if he beats out Colledge.

Daryn Colledge and Allen Barbre continued taking most of the reps at LG, but Jason Spitz got some time as well. Jsonline

bobblehead might be right about Barbre.

pbmax
08-02-2010, 08:21 AM

I don't recall him being handed the job, I recall it being an open competition that he lost. What changed? College hasn't really improved (I have been one of the biggest DC supporters in the past), and I think Babre has improved in certain areas. He is still too slow at reading things to play tackle as I pretty much was ready to shoot him last season.

Part of this equation is that I don't think they packers see either guy as the LG of the future, that is Lang. I think at the end of camp you can land a 5th for college and if the competition is equal that will settle it, and like I said, Lang likely is the starter by week 6 when he is fully healed.
Perhaps they might view him as a stop gap. Unfortunately, right now all of them look like a stop gap. Colledge, Barbre and Lang have all taking a beating during pass rush drills.

Colledge simply has not learned to effectively pass block at Guard. Which is odd given his background, that he has improved little since year two. His run blocking is what has improved. I thought he had it in him to fix it. It doesn't look that way so far.

Barbre has almost the exact same problem plus recognition issues. I think Spitz gets the call if this continues. Lang will stay. I almost would say that no one will trade for a Guard, drafted in the 2nd round who has only earned a 2nd round tender. But he can play tackle in a pinch. I would still be surprised with something as high as a 5 if his play stays at the reported level.

bobblehead
08-02-2010, 05:25 PM

Perhaps they might view him as a stop gap. Unfortunately, right now all of them look like a stop gap. Colledge, Barbre and Lang have all taking a beating during pass rush drills.

Colledge simply has not learned to effectively pass block at Guard. Which is odd given his background, that he has improved little since year two. His run blocking is what has improved. I thought he had it in him to fix it. It doesn't look that way so far.

Barbre has almost the exact same problem plus recognition issues. I think Spitz gets the call if this continues. Lang will stay. I almost would say that no one will trade for a Guard, drafted in the 2nd round who has only earned a 2nd round tender. But he can play tackle in a pinch. I would still be surprised with something as high as a 5 if his play stays at the reported level.

You could be right, but I am figuring some team is going to need some help at LG somewhere and if a multi year starter becomes available for a 5th they might pull the trigger. I also had high hopes for him...I still remember that big run against detroit with DC playing RT...he takes out 3 guys on the same play, absolutely fantastic, but like you said, he never has gotten the NFL art of pass protection down. He gets blown up by bull rushers, and then occassionally looks bad by whiffing.

Lang is looking bad, but I think its because of the brace and injury. I liked him a lot last year when he had to play. He is a scrapper who MM repeatedly says is an ideal LG. That tells me who MM thinks is the future there.

Ballboy
08-02-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm thinking/wishing that Bishop can take the next step and replace Hawk. He has shown much in every pre-season, then gets railed in the regular season and we only see him on special teams.

Seems bigger, faster and has better instincts in pass coverage.