PDA

View Full Version : Slow news day?

GBRulz
08-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Manure Hearing
August 2, 2006
MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Factory farms would no longer be allowed to dump manure on frozen fields under proposed revisions to state statutes legislators are scheduled to consider Thursday.

Under the changes, farms with more than 1,000 animals would no longer be allowed to dump liquid manure on fields during frozen and snow-covered conditions, said Gordon Stevenson, chief of run-off management for the state Department of Natural Resources. They also would be banned from spreading solid manure during February and March.

The rules are designed to eliminate manure running off frozen
land and contaminating wells and rivers. They would apply to 150
livestock operations in Wisconsin, Stevenson said.

Existing operations would have to abide by the rules beginning in 2010. New operations would have to comply immediately.

The state Assembly and Senate agriculture committees are scheduled to take testimony on the rules at a public hearing set Thursday morning at the state Capitol.

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 01:46 PM
GBRulz:

What is the brook trout fishing like, in your area? What is the daily limit of brook trout?

the_idle_threat
08-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Manure Hearing
August 2, 2006
MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Factory farms would no longer be allowed to dump manure on frozen fields under proposed revisions to state statutes legislators are scheduled to consider Thursday.

Under the changes, farms with more than 1,000 animals would no longer be allowed to dump liquid manure on fields during frozen and snow-covered conditions, said Gordon Stevenson, chief of run-off management for the state Department of Natural Resources. They also would be banned from spreading solid manure during February and March.

The rules are designed to eliminate manure running off frozen
land and contaminating wells and rivers. They would apply to 150
livestock operations in Wisconsin, Stevenson said.

Existing operations would have to abide by the rules beginning in 2010. New operations would have to comply immediately.

The state Assembly and Senate agriculture committees are scheduled to take testimony on the rules at a public hearing set Thursday morning at the state Capitol.

More bullshit legislation from Madison ... :D

oregonpackfan
08-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Let the mud-slinging(or some other type of slinging) begin at the Wisconsin State Legislature!

OPF

GBRulz
08-04-2006, 12:28 AM
GBRulz:

What is the brook trout fishing like, in your area? What is the daily limit of brook trout?

Um, Woody.... I'm afraid that I am clueless in answering any kind of fishing questions. I don't even know what a brook trout is. I bet it's a kind of trout though :mrgreen:

the_idle_threat
08-04-2006, 02:06 AM
Woody,

I've been known to try and outsmart a fish on occasion (with mixed results), but I'm a lake fisherman ... not a stream fisherman. We load up a boat with booze and fishing tackle and have at it on one of the state's many inland lakes.

Everyone I know is a lake fisherman ... I know nobody who fishes trout in this state. That being said, it's a big deal here apparently, with its own set of fishing regulations that vary from stream to stream, and a "trout fishing" stamp that costs 10 bucks extra and is required in addition to the regular fishing license.

I tried to do a little research at the Wisconsin Dept of Natural Resources website in order to answer your questions, but Good Lord ... there's more studying required than I did for my major in college!

From what I can tell ... size limits vary from 7 to 9 inches for brook trout, and daily bag limits vary from 3 to 5 fish. It depends not just upon which county or region you are in, but which specific stream you are on!

Here's a link (http://dnr.wi.gov/org/water/fhp/fish/species/trout/index.html) with many more details than you care to know, if you are inclined ...

woodbuck27
08-04-2006, 09:02 AM
GBRulz:

Um, Woody.... I'm afraid that I am clueless in answering any kind of fishing questions. I don't even know what a brook trout is. I bet it's a kind of trout though :mrgreen:

Ahhhh! That is a speckled trout that lives in (habitat is in) a brook, GBRulz.

Other speckled trout live in lakes and ponds. Speckled trout are having a tough time surviving in their natural environs today where they once thrived. Acid rain has alot to do with their struggle to survive.

Some of my best memories of visiting my grandparents - in Juvenile Settlement, New Brunswick, "a small Irish immigrant community" - founded in the early 18oo's was fishing with Dad, on Shin Creek for speckled trout. That was always - a grand day, GBRulz.

GBRulz
08-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Believe it or not, Woody...fishing with my Dad was a big part of my memories of growing up, too. We went out on his boat just about every weekend as I lived in FL until I was about 14. Then my parent wanted to move back to WI (originally from here) so... I can tell you that the weights we had to put on the trolling rods were heavier than any fish that I could catch up here! I loved saltwater fishing but once we moved back here, I had no interest in freshwater fishing at all. maybe because it didn't involve a big boat, I dunno!

Oh wait, I know what it is....it's because I refuse to touch a leech or nightcrawler! Even worms I had a hard time with, lol.