PDA

View Full Version : Justin "Graham Cracker Back" Harrell

Smidgeon
08-02-2010, 10:50 AM
So, quick question: can anybody cite any NFL player who has had his first three seasons in the NFL derailed by injury and then gone on to have a productive career? I'm wondering what odds JH is facing.

bigcoz75
08-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Our own Mike Flanagan?

http://www.nfl.com/players/mikeflanagan/profile?id=FLA475850

retailguy
08-02-2010, 12:31 PM
I forgot about him, but you're right.

I've been figuring for months that Harrell wouldn't make it through 3 days of camp and today is day three, so if he makes it through, then maybe.... :wink:

mission
08-02-2010, 12:52 PM
I've been figuring for months that Harrell wouldn't make it through 3 days of camp and today is day three, so if he makes it through, then maybe.... :wink:

I know, right? Just the fact that we haven't heard anything like "Packers careful with Harrell" or "Harrell sits out an hour; just precautionary" is kind of an exciting storyline for camp. We almost deserve him to be a positive surprise this year after losing Jolly... but I might have just jinxed it (trying to anti jinx).

bobblehead
08-02-2010, 05:20 PM
What a surprise it would be if Harrell stayed healthy and Neal is the bull he is advertised to be. Would make a potentially scary position look incredibly deep just like that.....but until he makes it through the second preseason game I won't count on it.

rbaloha1
08-02-2010, 05:30 PM
What a surprise it would be if Harrell stayed healthy and Neal is the bull he is advertised to be. Would make a potentially scary position look incredibly deep just like that.....but until he makes it through the second preseason game I won't count on it.

The video clip from one day showed Neal as an explosive and powerful player. Unsure if it translates to Jolly productivity. Neal appears to be an instant contributor.

Lets hope the Harrell injury jinx is done. TT built a nice collection of d-linemen.

get louder at lambeau
08-02-2010, 07:45 PM

I know, right? Just the fact that we haven't heard anything like "Packers careful with Harrell" or "Harrell sits out an hour; just precautionary" is kind of an exciting storyline for camp. We almost deserve him to be a positive surprise this year after losing Jolly... but I might have just jinxed it (trying to anti jinx).

Mission, you jinx-ass motherfucker. :cry:

OL Marshall Newhouse and DE Justin Harrell both dropped out of practice. For Newhouse, it was heat-related. After practice, Head Coach Mike McCarthy wasn’t asked about Harrell.

http://blog.packers.com/

red
08-02-2010, 09:40 PM
shocking

cut him, cut him now

Gunakor
08-03-2010, 04:39 AM
You're already suggesting we cut him now, without even knowing what it was he left practice for?

From the story on JSO regarding Harrell leaving pracitce:

One of the Packers' defensive players said Harrell told him on the field that he was suffering from fatigue and heat-related symptoms.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/99813939.html

Says nothing about his back flaring up. They aren't disclosing exactly what it was. The report said Harrell ran off to the Hutson Center halfway through practice but did not say he needed assistance. Just one player, who is not named, stating that Harrell was complaining of heat related symptoms.

Let's not overreact. We don't even know what it was. It might just be fatigue and heat related symptoms, in which case I'm grateful they took a precautionary measure to move him out of that hot and humid environment. We all remember Korey Stringer. Better safe than sorry.

Bossman641
08-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Same thing was said here as well

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100802/PKR01/308030016/Notebook-Spitz-hopeful-for-future-following-recuperation

Also Monday, two players, Harrell and rookie offensive lineman Marshall Newhouse, had heat-related problems after practice.

Fritz
08-03-2010, 08:27 AM
However, there was also a line in the JSO story that said Harrell was seen stretching his torso and back as he huffed and puffed between drills. Did his back start to tighten on him?

I was eating a piece of toast this morning, and I thought of Justin Harrell.

pbmax
08-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Well, at least he won't take up a roster spot next camp.

Seriously, I hope its the heat, but the observation that he was stretching his back and torso doesn't sound promising.

wootah
08-03-2010, 09:58 AM
This just in, from PackersLive (Bedard) twitter;

Justin Harrell is on the field. Looks like he's ready to participate

pbmax
08-03-2010, 10:02 AM
This just in, from PackersLive (Bedard) twitter;

Justin Harrell is on the field. Looks like he's ready to participate
I think I need a Justin Harrell news filter on this site. If I see him in Game 1, I will assume his back is OK.

Fritz
08-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Yes, at this point you expect the guy to participate today...and maybe tomorrow...and then drop out of a practice...then be rested as a "precaution"...then, well, this time, cut.

I hope I am wrong. I hope he stays and is healthy

pbmax
08-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Yes, at this point you expect the guy to participate today...and maybe tomorrow...and then drop out of a practice...then be rested as a "precaution"...then, well, this time, cut.

I hope I am wrong. I hope he stays and is healthy

According to Bedard, Harrell made it through this mornings practice. Its was a light, correction practice, but he was participating.

pbmax
08-03-2010, 11:02 AM
JH has just dried off his toes by bending down and has not experienced any ill effects. Another milestone passed.

bobblehead
08-03-2010, 11:06 AM
JH has just dried off his toes by bending down and has not experienced any ill effects. Another milestone passed.

was he sitting or standing at the time? did he lift his toes up, or bend all the way to them? Come on man I NEED DETAILS !!!!

Cheesehead Craig
08-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Has he missed as many games as his uniform number yet?

Fritz
08-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Was his back sore today? More so than normal? How about compared to last year?

vince
08-03-2010, 01:46 PM
One of the reporters at practices tweeted that Harrell rode a kid's bike to practice today while the kid rode on his back. Doesn't seem like the smartest thing maybe, but he (reportedly) didn't show any signs of back trouble today.

retailguy
08-03-2010, 02:23 PM

Any sightings of Rock Gullickson hiding in the bushes with a bat?

Packers4Ever
08-03-2010, 04:49 PM

was he sitting or standing at the time? did he lift his toes up, or bend all the way to them? Come on man I NEED DETAILS !!!!

ROFL !! :lol:

pbmax
08-03-2010, 04:56 PM
He should switch from Sealy Posturepedic to the Sleep Number bed. Dan Patrick can't be wrong, can he?

falco
08-03-2010, 07:17 PM
One of the reporters at practices tweeted that Harrell rode a kid's bike to practice today while the kid rode on his back. Doesn't seem like the smartest thing maybe, but he (reportedly) didn't show any signs of back trouble today.

The real victim here is the bike! :shock:

bobblehead
08-03-2010, 07:49 PM
according to bedard JH is sitting out the pm practice as I type.

swede
08-03-2010, 08:00 PM
How did Bedard know you were typing?

Joemailman
08-03-2010, 08:48 PM

So is Nick Barnett. Hope he didn't blow out his knee again.

bobblehead
08-04-2010, 12:23 AM
How did Bedard know you were typing?

Left my fucking webcam on....guy is stalking me like a lindsy lohan groupie.

Fritz
08-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Now Harrell will be out til Thursday because of heat exhaustion, according to the JSO.

Sounds like a cover up. I'm betting it's his back. And nobody wants to say that - yet.

Patler
08-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Now Harrell will be out til Thursday because of heat exhaustion, according to the JSO.

Sounds like a cover up. I'm betting it's his back. And nobody wants to say that - yet.

Didn't the bike ride with a kid on his back come after the episode that took him out of practice? I can't see him doing that if his back is the real issue.

Patler
08-04-2010, 10:16 AM

Besides, all that means is he didn't practice Tuesday night. They are off today, aren't they? He's missing nothing more than we already knew about.

Tony Oday
08-04-2010, 10:34 AM

Besides, all that means is he didn't practice Tuesday night. They are off today, aren't they? He's missing nothing more than we already knew about.

Man I was about to die on my 3 mile run yesterday so I can imagine how these guys are feeling. Can't push too hard after the Stringer thing.

ThunderDan
08-04-2010, 11:18 AM

Yup, no practice on Wednesday. JSO dragging up more shit that ain't there. :roll:

RashanGary
08-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Out until Thursday with heat exhaustion, hahahahaha. . . .

Did I miss the memo in our society that stated it's alright to manipulate people? Bert, JS, that creepy congressman who through a fit on the floor, but could have passed the bill anyway. . . .

When did this shit become alright? When did people get so stupid that we let this happen under our noses?

hoosier
08-04-2010, 12:23 PM

Man I was about to die on my 3 mile run yesterday so I can imagine how these guys are feeling. Can't push too hard after the Stringer thing.

Come on. These are professional athletes who get paid to do nothing other than stay in top physical shape. I run 6 miles every day in the summer heat and humidity in southern Indiana and I'm over 40. Hard to sympathize with a guy who's been injured for the last three years and still can't come to camp in shape. As long as they stay hydrated, well conditioned athletes should not fall to pieces in 95 degree weather.

RashanGary
08-04-2010, 12:41 PM
I saw a bunch of 7 and 8 year old kids go through a 2.5 hour practice in 92 degree heat yesterday.

For what that's worth. . . .

Tony Oday
08-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Do the little kids or you hoosier weigh 320lbs? STRINGER DIED it is humid as H out there.

pbmax
08-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I saw a bunch of 7 and 8 year old kids go through a 2.5 hour practice in 92 degree heat yesterday.

For what that's worth. . . .
What kind of practice were seven year olds spending 2.5 hours going through in any weather?

hoosier
08-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Do the little kids or you hoosier weigh 320lbs? STRINGER DIED it is humid as H out there.

The vast majority of oversized NFL players can make it through a summer camp practice in one piece, even the 320 pound ones. The fact that Harrell couldn't suggests that he was out of shape, as Stringer likely was. I don't know about you, but if I were a 1st round draft pick in my mid-20s who had spent the last three years on IR, I would be so eager to stay on the field that I would never let myself get out of shape, offseason or not.

Tony Oday
08-04-2010, 02:41 PM

The vast majority of oversized NFL players can make it through a summer camp practice in one piece, even the 320 pound ones. The fact that Harrell couldn't suggests that he was out of shape, as Stringer likely was. I don't know about you, but if I were a 1st round draft pick in my mid-20s who had spent the last three years on IR, I would be so eager to stay on the field that I would never let myself get out of shape, offseason or not.

Or he is pushing himself to the max trying to earn a spot on the roster.

sharpe1027
08-04-2010, 03:10 PM

Is someone more susceptible to heat stroke because they are in poor physical condition? I honestly don't know the answer, but the few people I've seen suffer from heat stroke were in excellent shape.

Anything to backup your claim?

hoosier
08-04-2010, 03:22 PM

Is someone more susceptible to heat stroke because they are in poor physical condition? I honestly don't know the answer, but the few people I've seen suffer from heat stroke were in excellent shape.

Just that being in good condition means that your heart and circulatory system works more efficiently, which usually includes less overheating. I am sure it is possible for a well-conditioned athlete to do too much and suffer from dangerously elevated core body temp, but someone whose heart isn't able to pump blood effectively (either because of poor conditioning or being very overweight) is much more likely to be a victim.

Patler
08-04-2010, 03:23 PM

Football has a big problem with heat stroke because the helmets and pads disrupt natural cooling so much. No comparison between the risk a football player faces and someone else in just shorts and a t-shirt.

Fritz
08-04-2010, 03:29 PM
All I can say is that I hope it's about conditioning and not his back. I would like Harrell to be healthy.

sharpe1027
08-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Just that being in good condition means that your heart and circulatory system works more efficiently, which usually includes less overheating. I am sure it is possible for a well-conditioned athlete to do too much and suffer from dangerously elevated core body temp, but someone whose heart isn't able to pump blood effectively (either because of poor conditioning or being very overweight) is much more likely to be a victim.

I think there's a problem with your logic. People are more likely to get heatstroke if they are out of shape. Harrell had heatstroke so he was out of shape.

Let's apply it to other situations for fun:

People are also more likely to cramp up if they are not in shape. I saw Al Harris cramp up once, he must have been out of shape.

Have you ever been in an car accident of any kind? People are more likely to get in an accident if they are drinking and driving. You got in an accident so you were drinking and driving

Maybe Harrell just got too hot in his pads or he didn't properly hydrate the night before. Maybe he is just out of shape. IDK, but IMHO its a bit of a stretch to be berating the guy as if it was fact.

Brandon494
08-04-2010, 05:00 PM

Your not 300 pounds so you dont know that. Just because you might be able to do something you can't expect someone else to do the same just because they were a former 1st round draft pick. Its seems like every summer a player either in H.S., college, or NFL dies from heat exhaustion so its nothing to take lightly.

MadScientist
08-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Out of shape, or just large work against you for heat stroke - larger volume, with only a slightly larger surface area. There's undoubtedly a genetic component as to how well a person can handle the heat, which could contribute to JH having more trouble than say Pickett. Assuming heat isn't a code word for back, he needs to be very careful with hydration, and any other preparation they do.

Perhaps they should look into a way to add more ventilation to pads for summer practices.

Lurker64
08-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Having trouble with the heat in an early August training camp practice doesn't mean that you're necessarily injured, done, or worthless. The Packers are unlikely to play any games this year that are hotter than August practices, and guys frequently sit out practices for reasons that wouldn't prevent them from playing in games.

This may count against Harrell somewhat in terms of whether or not he will make the final roster, but it shouldn't eliminate him completely. NFL teams likely err on the side of caution when it comes to big men in the heat because the Stringer case was really, really bad PR for the league and the payout in the lawsuit to Mr. Stringer's widow was pretty big.

I would worry more about whether or not Harrell looks good when he practices than whether or not the heat bothers him a lot. Let's see how he rebounds.

HarveyWallbangers
08-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Happens all around the league. Bryant McKinnie dropped out of Vikings camp a few days ago because of heat exhaustion, and he's in pretty good shape for a big guy.

Fritz
08-04-2010, 09:18 PM
If it's not his back then I'm happy. Keep him out as a precaution. That's fine with me.

retailguy
08-04-2010, 10:08 PM
If it's not his back then I'm happy. Keep him out as a precaution. That's fine with me.

if he never plays he won't get hurt!

Wait, that's not true. :(

pbmax
08-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Bedard has Harrell, Brad Jones, Newhouse and Colledge all back at practice #7, Thursday morning.

Fritz
08-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Man, we could do a reality show starring Justin Harrell's back.

We could call it . . . He's Back!

mission
08-05-2010, 10:18 PM
It's nothing. Shit's HOT outside (especially for a bigman)!!

Now if we start hearing about his back, we can (re)revisit this.

Fritz
08-06-2010, 09:03 AM

Don't you mean we could go back to it?

get louder at lambeau
08-06-2010, 10:30 AM

Don't you mean we could go back to it?

Once you go black, you never go back.

swede
08-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Enough with the back puns. Consider this my spinal warning.

Fritz
08-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Back off, Swede.

Tony Oday
08-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Back off, Swede.

Whatch it Fritz Swede will get back at ya.

denverYooper
08-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Now this thread is just Lumbaring along...

Patler
08-06-2010, 12:03 PM
I really hope that Harrell gets an opportunity, and that his body holds up.

During the off season and the first week of camp, players like Pickett, Jenkins and Tauscher have commented on how strong and powerful Harrell is. These are the guys who play with and against him, and are not wimps themselves. Yet Harrell's strength and power seems to impress them.

McCarthy, Capers, Trgovac and Thompson have all commented on how strong and powerful he is. Unsolicited compliments about the same characteristics adds validity.

His strength and power are consistent themes from players and coaches who comment about him, so it must be impressive.

sharpe1027
08-06-2010, 12:58 PM
I doubt this thread will ever get back on track.

bobblehead
08-06-2010, 01:03 PM

During the off season and the first week of camp, players like Pickett, Jenkins and Tauscher have commented on how strong and powerful Harrell is. These are the guys who play with and against him, and are not wimps themselves. Yet Harrell's strength and power seems to impress them.

McCarthy, Capers, Trgovac and Thompson have all commented on how strong and powerful he is. Unsolicited compliments about the same characteristics adds validity.

His strength and power are consistent themes from players and coaches who comment about him, so it must be impressive.

I have seen JH up close in jeans and a T shirt. He is a mammoth of a man....and not a fatty. You almost get that samoan feel...He is huge, but doesn't give you the impression of lumpy and slow. The only person I can recall that had a similar impact on me when I saw them live was Tony Mandarich....but I was something like 14 at the time.

MJZiggy
08-06-2010, 06:57 PM

It was on track to begin with?

retailguy
08-06-2010, 08:14 PM

I have seen JH up close in jeans and a T shirt. He is a mammoth of a man....and not a fatty. You almost get that samoan feel...He is huge, but doesn't give you the impression of lumpy and slow. The only person I can recall that had a similar impact on me when I saw them live was Tony Mandarich....but I was something like 14 at the time.

I agree with both of these points. But, in my experience, back injuries don't vanish. We are likely living on borrowed time. How long? We'll see. I find myself pulling for the guy. That's a start...

retailguy
08-06-2010, 08:15 PM

It was on track to begin with?

Back on page 1 it was on track! :P

swede
08-06-2010, 09:56 PM
I saw Justin Harrell in practice today. He was participating in all drills and taking his reps with everyone else.

Beyond all hope, Justin is back to business.

Fritz
08-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Ever since our d-line got handled by a smaller Denver o-line in that Stupid Bowl, I'm a little nervous about large, strong, lumbering d-lines.

So when Trgovac talks about the d-line being strong but not overly quick, that scares me a bit. But then again maybe the 3-4 is different.

pbmax
08-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Ever since our d-line got handled by a smaller Denver o-line in that Stupid Bowl, I'm a little nervous about large, strong, lumbering d-lines.

So when Trgovac talks about the d-line being strong but not overly quick, that scares me a bit. But then again maybe the 3-4 is different.
Different system. In Fritz's 4-3, the d lineman moved and slanted. In this 3-4, they are frequently heads up and square. That, plus Gilbert was way out of shape and Gabe Wilkins quit, leaving the Packers with Darius Holland, a DT, at RDE.

Though in the recent past, Denver with Shanahan gave the Patriots fits and often beat their good teams. And the Colts would then crush the Broncos. However, Belicheck doesn't play the same 3-4 as Capers.

Smidgeon
08-07-2010, 01:01 PM

I agree with both of these points. But, in my experience, back injuries don't vanish. We are likely living on borrowed time. How long? We'll see. I find myself pulling for the guy. That's a start...

If back injuries don't vanish, then what hope is there for Spitz either?

Lurker64
08-07-2010, 01:10 PM
I think the point we're at with Harrell is that there will always be the possibility of back pain, but he won't run the risk of further injury by playing full out. That's an important distinction in football, if you're injured you don't play, but if you're in pain you play through it. Harrell famously in college played a game with a torn bicep muscle, and I'm willing to bet that was pretty painful so the odds of "coach it hurts too much, I can't play" are probably pretty slim.

Further injuring your back though? That's scary. Since it could dramatically affect your life after football. Since Harrell has no real chance of that (no more than any other player), I don't know if we're living on borrowed time.

retailguy
08-07-2010, 02:35 PM

If back injuries don't vanish, then what hope is there for Spitz either?

Odds probably aren't any better.