PDA

View Full Version : Practice 4 - live update thread

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Back at practice for the last time. Sunny and breezy. Fans are filling the stands slwly but surely. Not as packed as last night but still a good crowd.

No players out yet. Equip all set up. Ready to go!

pack4to84
08-02-2010, 01:31 PM
I will be there wearing my Rodgers jersey with my three kids. I'm thankful for all your camp updates.

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Phone batt level not great. So I'm going to hold off on my comments until the good stuff starts.

Flynn the first player down. Bryan is here soon after.

Packers staff pumping in artificial crowd noise. Testing the speakers I guess. Should b interesting to see the game situations with the noise pumped in at practice today.

Hard to find a seat now. Groups having to break up into smaller groups.

pack4to84
08-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Can't beleave how many people are here. Stands nearly filled. I'm on the 35 yard line opposite end of practice area.

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Blackman is back. Brad jones is still out. Looks like everyone who should b out is. Stretching and jogging occuring. Stands are packed. Fence lines are starting to fill up too.

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Stretching lively today. Dbs joking and laughing a lot. Martin is leading the laughs.

Walk throughs now. Chillar is with the ones opposite matthews! No other changes.

I'm glad to see this. Chillar is better imo.

The d is in the base too. Popps is not in any plays with the ones right now.

The two are in now. Chillar and popps at olb. Joseph and bishop at mlb. Martin and pep at s. Blkman was with the twos earlier. Wonder about that? Underwood and lee 3 and 4 cbs.

Neal and harrell second team de.

Ones back in. Popps leaves and so does hawk! Bishop getting some reps with the ones! They are in the nickle. Underwood 3 cb.

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Can't beleave how many people are here. Stands nearly filled. I'm on the 35 yard line opposite end of practice area.

I know, it fills quick. I have to come an hour and a half early to get a prime seat.

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Crosby kicking 40 yarders.

Miss wide right from left hash.

Hits it from left hash.

42 yards from right hash. Down middle. Hits camera shack. Crwd cheers.

done kicking. Working on mechanics now I think.

Matshay was holder.

Wait....we might be getting more kicks.

58 yarder into wind! Nailed it. Crowd goes wild. From right hash. Matshay holding.

Well short and to right from left hash. Didn't like matshay's hold.

50 yarders. Good! Into wind. From left hash.

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Game situations.

Run for no gain. Crosby runs out and misses easy fg to left.

Another miss! Wide left. Uh oh. These are 40 yarders.

Punt returns now.

Will back to receive.

Jugs machine firing punts.

Just getting shit set up. No live returns.

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Porter just missed catching two punts, badly. Catches third and crowd cheers.

Mason crosby is the one that runs the jugs machine. Always found that funny.

Porter drops another punt.

Live punts now?

Yup, first live coverage and guess what? Penality! Block in the back on james jones. Fucking pathetic.

Porter just missed another. Rough day.

James is now arguing with the ref about the blk in the back. He's joking with him. Pretty funny.

Live punt coverage again.

Will returning.

Nice moves. Good return. No penalties.

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Porter misses another. Catches the next one.

Full live return drill.

Tramon returning.

Great coverage. T had no where to go. No penalties.

Hitting drill!!!

Hard to see. Players r in a pack about sixty yards away.

Drill ovr. Can't say I saw much.

Driver does a forward flip summersult into endzone during drill. Crowd pleaser!

More team now.

Chillar in with starters.

Flee flicker. Jennings catch.

Pat lee blows up reverse.

Great cut by porter after a swing pass. Eds with a great block.

Barnett smashes up scree. Chillar picks of deflection takes it to house. Very close to pi.

Flynn throws screen to neal. Incomplete.

Drill over.

pbmax
08-02-2010, 02:58 PM
BTW, you are killing the coverage at JSO. Bedard is not live blogging it and Silverstein and someone called PackersLive have tweeted 12 messages so far, an hour in. 2 of those were about hats.

Scott Campbell
08-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Ok Donald, very impressive. Now grow up and stay healthy.

I hope the Crosby kicks can be attributed to working with new holders.

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Individual position drills. S working in fron of me. Practicing ints and fumble recovery.

Mm talking with a rod.

Matthews giving chillar advice.

Burnett getting coached up on turning and locating the ball.
More walk throughs.

Chillar all first team reps.

Nickle package. Bishop in for hawk.

More walkthroughs and pass skelton drills. Zzzzzzz

Must b correcting a lot of things from last night.

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Ok Donald, very impressive. Now grow up and stay healthy.

I hope the Crosby kicks can be attributed to working with new holders.

I should have said this before. It was onto a giant puffy mat. No real injury risk.

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Just a warning - battery going dead. Was out too late last night with the wife and forgot to plug it in. I think ill b ok though. But if updates stop, now u know why.

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 03:36 PM
1 v 1's now! Thank god.

Dillion beats tramon on slant.
Gore slant on lee.

Jordy backshoulder v bush

West bad move but grat catch v underwood.

Williams blanketd by bell.

Sam right on swain

Gore whips lee.

Dillion turns around tramon.

James whips underwd.

Jordy v bush even. Incomplete.

West sweet move and catch v bell.

Drill ovr.

Team run - red zone.

Play fake. Almost picked by barnett (I think). A rod had to correct finley.

Run stuffed by bishop.

Run to right. Hard to tell. A lot of holding. Messy.

Lang at rt. Spitz c. Bulaga 3:23:33 PM. Great blocking. Hawk ends up on ground. B jack nice run.

Play action pass. Dd fell down. Incomplete. Good protection.

Blitz. Great pick up. Dillon catch. Eds center. Spitz rg.

A rod pass to right. C wood right there. West catch no gain.

Spitz in with 1s at lg.

Bishop blitzs. May have killed a rod. Greg and a rod not on same page. Throw in wrong place.

Run by grant. 5 yards or so.

Barnett sheds block and blows up run in backfield! Wow.

Lang ahead of breno at rt.

Draw to porter for a couple.

Grant for 1. From 5 yd line. Tough to find room.

Ball at 4.

Play fake. Good pressure by pickett. Rodgers throws it away.

Pitch right. Td lumpkin.

Ball at 21 now.

Matthews would have killed a rod. Blitz.

Base d. Chillar still in. Hawk in too.

Out pass to jordy. He gets pushed out after five yards. Underw covering.

Chillar brks through on blitz. A rod sacked.

Swain drops pass. Rodgers pissed. Raji got a good push but a rod had time. Quick pattern though.

Hall with ones. Kuhn with twos.

Flynn hits.lee down seam for td. Great blitz pick up.

Flyyn to west. Down inside five. Great protection. Lang did great.

Slant to west. Nicely done.

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Pickett breaks through. A rod bad throw. Yells fuck!

Td to jones from a rod. Jones was in slot. Looked like jenkins was covering.

From the 10. To endzone just past swain who was covered well by collins.

Taco left! Taco left!

Bishop gets beat to the spot by porter. Bishop catches up and send him flying!

Nice td catch by misouri at back of zone. Pass by flynn.

A tod in again.

Empty backfield. D fucked up. Jones all alone in corner of e zone. Td! Burnett mesd up???

Drill over.

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Phone batt in critical state.

7 on 7 drill

Lee in with d starters.

Bishop too.

Nice catch dd. Beat tramon ovr middle.

Long pass to west from flynn. Pep wld have laid him out if it were a game though.

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Down goes west. I think he got hit in the gym bag. He's up.

Great catch by jordy deep. Lee was all over him.

Jennings beats tramon. Nice catch t will was right on him.
Flynn great throw through coverage to finley. Crwd yelling pro bowl.

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Special teams up. I gotta go. Have some where to b. Sorry guys. Hope u enjoyed the updates!

get louder at lambeau
08-02-2010, 03:57 PM
BTW, you are killing the coverage at JSO. Bedard is not live blogging it and Silverstein and someone called PackersLive have tweeted 12 messages so far, an hour in. 2 of those were about hats.

PackersLive is Bedard. He has two accounts, so we don't have to read all his gay little tweets to his buddies.

Brandon494
08-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Like I said before I think the move of Chilliar to OLB. I think he is better than Popp and gives Bishop more reps at MLB.

MadScientist
08-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Special teams up. I gotta go. Have some where to b. Sorry guys. Hope u enjoyed the updates!

What you have something more important than training camp!?

Thanks for the updates, it's great having them -- so don't forget to plug in you phone for tomorrow.

rbaloha1
08-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Like I said before I think the move of Chilliar to OLB. I think he is better than Popp and gives Bishop more reps at MLB.

Yes -- the 4 best need to be on the field.

bobblehead
08-02-2010, 05:12 PM

PackersLive is Bedard. He has two accounts, so we don't have to read all his gay little tweets to his buddies.

Later JS will post a more thourough account for some reason...it still isn't quite as good as this. I don't even check JS anymore until later when MM might give a short presser. Thanks gb

pittstang5
08-02-2010, 05:35 PM

What about Bishop lining up as an OLB? I think that would be interesting.

Lurker64
08-02-2010, 06:56 PM

What about Bishop lining up as an OLB? I think that would be interesting.

I don't think he's quick enough laterally to play outside. He's a full quarter to half a second slower than Chillar, Jones, and Matthews in the 3-cone drill. Bishop is, however, a good bet to play inside. You love his effort, his physicality, and his intangibles. You question his anticipation and reactions however, but he could always improve on that. The majority of the problems with Bishop's game are mental, and that's always correctable (but not necessarily easily correctable).

rbaloha1
08-02-2010, 09:08 PM
[quote="pittstang5"][quote=Brandon494]The majority of the problems with Bishop's game are mental, and that's always correctable (but not necessarily easily correctable).

Dude went to Berkley -- easily correctable with more playing time with the 1st team.

As I mentioned should have trade Kampman last season prior to training camp.

Hawk is due big roster bonus next season -- trade him now while there is value.

Lurker64
08-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Dude went to Berkley -- easily correctable with more playing time with the 1st team.

There's a big, big difference between football intelligence and intelligence in the ordinary sense. I mean, I have a graduate degree in pure mathematics, but I can't read run/pass cues to save my life.

I didn't say Bishop was stupid, I just said he doesn't read plays very well, which is something you can see by watching him play.

ThunderDan
08-02-2010, 09:45 PM
[quote=pittstang5][quote=Brandon494]The majority of the problems with Bishop's game are mental, and that's always correctable (but not necessarily easily correctable).

How can Hawk have value? He does have a huge roster bonus due next year so any team that trades for him knows it is 1 year deal. Who would be willing to give up something of value for that?

rbaloha1
08-02-2010, 10:02 PM
[quote=pittstang5][quote=Brandon494]The majority of the problems with Bishop's game are mental, and that's always correctable (but not necessarily easily correctable).

How can Hawk have value? He does have a huge roster bonus due next year so any team that trades for him knows it is 1 year deal. Who would be willing to give up something of value for that?

Obviously the trade would have to include a revised deal. Hawk fits into a scheme that allows him to run free without taking on blockers on the weak side (like the old Jimmy Johnson Cowboy scheme).

Last season maybe the Packers could have a received a second or third for Kampman. Hawk may fetch a third or maybe higher.

gbpackfan
08-02-2010, 10:20 PM

There's a big, big difference between football intelligence and intelligence in the ordinary sense. I mean, I have a graduate degree in pure mathematics, but I can't read run/pass cues to save my life.

I didn't say Bishop was stupid, I just said he doesn't read plays very well, which is something you can see by watching him play.

I agree. Nick Collins is borderline retarded but the guy can play the hell out of the free safety position.

And if you think Im being harsh, listen to an interview with him. He's flat out country dumb. But yet rich. So I dont think he gives a f*@k!

Lurker64
08-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Obviously the trade would have to include a revised deal. Hawk fits into a scheme that allows him to run free without taking on blockers on the weak side (like the old Jimmy Johnson Cowboy scheme).

Last season maybe the Packers could have a received a second or third for Kampman. Hawk may fetch a third or maybe higher.

If Hawk is willing to rework his contract if traded to another team, he would presumably be willing to rework his contract with the Packers, after all I get the impression that he likes Green Bay and the Packers organization.

So really what you're saying is that a third round pick would add more to the Packers going forward, which is kind of silly. With how Hawk has played, if he was a third round pick instead of a top 10 pick, people would say he was the steal of that draft.

I don't get why everybody thinks Hawk is so terrible because he doesn't make plays. He plays in a defense that is designed so that if everybody on defense executes their assignment and doesn't lose one-on-one battles, the defense wins the play. Not only that, but the defense was pretty good last year. But since he's a high pick and he's just a guy who does his job reasonably well, and he's not sacking the QB every three minutes, that he's somehow execrable.

rbaloha1
08-02-2010, 11:01 PM

If Hawk is willing to rework his contract if traded to another team, he would presumably be willing to rework his contract with the Packers, after all I get the impression that he likes Green Bay and the Packers organization.

So really what you're saying is that a third round pick would add more to the Packers going forward, which is kind of silly. With how Hawk has played, if he was a third round pick instead of a top 10 pick, people would say he was the steal of that draft.

I don't get why everybody thinks Hawk is so terrible because he doesn't make plays. He plays in a defense that is designed so that if everybody on defense executes their assignment and doesn't lose one-on-one battles, the defense wins the play. Not only that, but the defense was pretty good last year. But since he's a high pick and he's just a guy who does his job reasonably well, and he's not sacking the QB every three minutes, that he's somehow execrable.

The point is Hawk could become a backup. Before this happens -- trade him. Maybe someone gives up a higher pick. A third is conservative. Hawk has the stats apologists love. The Hawk apologists are becoming comical again.

Where does anyone say Hawk is terrible? The dude does not cause enough big plays as opposed to others.

If everyone just played their assignments turnovers would be rare. A high positive turnover margin generally correlates to winning. If an NFL team is a plus 2 during a game winning is greatly enhanced.

Who cares about lb sacks. What about tfl, forced fumbles, interceptions and game changing hits. Where is Hawk -- padding tackle stats.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Hawk is a good player. The combination of him on run downs and Chillar on passing downs is a good one. Bishop hasn't done much, and he has gotten chances. I remember him getting burned on the first play he was in the game vs. the Vikings a couple of years ago. His problem is that he's slow. Hawk hasn't been as fast as he timed, but Barnett makes him look fast. Really, they are very similar players (sure tacklers), but Hawk misses few assignments, and you can't say that about Bishop when he's gotten a chance. Plus, Hawk is a bit more athletic. Bishop is more of a thumper who gets beat more often because of his recognition and foot speed. He's to ILB what Bigby is to safety.

Packman_26
08-02-2010, 11:40 PM
It seems that people simply want to trade Hawk just for the sake of trading him. You could argue that his career has been a disappointment so far based on his draft position but that should not matter at this point. The only thing that does is if he is one the best 53 on the team.
What would trading him accomplish? He would garner a mid-round selection at best but he clearly gives him more value the an unknown 3rd or 4th round pick. Especially, when you consider this is a team many consider to be poised to make a run. Trading away a levelheaded starter (or at the very least your quality depth) is something a team with Super Bowl aspirations shouldn't do.

Tony Oday
08-03-2010, 12:21 AM
I like Hawk. He is Packer People and a solid starter.

Lurker64
08-03-2010, 12:54 AM
To be honest, I think the Packers would be better off trading Bishop than trading Hawk. Bishop is a player who's chomping at the bit for playing time, looks great before the season starts, and has a tiny contract. We could get a pretty decent backup/developmental player for him.

CaliforniaCheez
08-03-2010, 01:05 AM
Thank you again for these updates. As I said during the first one where Lori Nichol Nickel was talking security asking her to close her umbrella, I get more from your observations than from the press corps.

I have another favor to ask you. Could you write up your impressions of each unit at a time?

For example on the O-line, with Lang missing a lot of the spring work seemed rusty and got beaten early but after a couple of days was getting back into form. Is that your impression?

It also sounds like Deitrich-Smith and Giacomini are doing well and impressing while Barbre is not.

And if those offensive guys are impressing it seems that Harrell is not and Neal is still a bit raw.

Could you go through how some of these positions and battles and sum up your observations please?

Fritz
08-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Did either of you - any of you - see Harrell drop out of practice, and if so, did he seem to be stretching his back inordinately or was he just beat from the humidity? Or both?

hoosier
08-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Did either of you - any of you - see Harrell drop out of practice, and if so, did he seem to be stretching his back inordinately or was he just beat from the humidity? Or both?

I read somewhere that he was seen panting and gasping for air, after which he took a second look at his lunch. Apparently the three years on IR has not been enough time to get his conditioning to where it needs to be. But give him a few weeks and everything will be fine.

gbpackfan
08-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Thank you again for these updates. As I said during the first one where Lori Nichol Nickel was talking security asking her to close her umbrella, I get more from your observations than from the press corps.

I have another favor to ask you. Could you write up your impressions of each unit at a time?

For example on the O-line, with Lang missing a lot of the spring work seemed rusty and got beaten early but after a couple of days was getting back into form. Is that your impression?

It also sounds like Deitrich-Smith and Giacomini are doing well and impressing while Barbre is not.

And if those offensive guys are impressing it seems that Harrell is not and Neal is still a bit raw.

Could you go through how some of these positions and battles and sum up your observations please?

No problem. But it may take a day or two. Gotta go to work here soon.

vince
08-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks gb for all the practice updates. I too look forward to your follow-up summary when you have a chance...