PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on the Upcoming Season

Smidgeon
08-04-2010, 10:37 AM
An email transcript, courtesy of a friend's inquiry:

Her: The talk around here on the sports shows is all about GB and how good they are going to be this year.

Me: They’ll be good. I’m not sure about great though. I think those expectations need to be tempered. Here’s what GB does have for sure:

TE: The best young TE in football in Finley; potential to be the best in the NFL as soon as this year, but needs to improve his blocking

WR1: One of, if not the, best deep ball #1 WRs in the NFL in Jennings; probably not a Top 10 WR though as he’ll disappear in some games

WR2: The way my brother puts it, Driver has the best three steps of any WR in the NFL. He’s explosive and sudden.

WR3: I don’t care if it’s Jones or Nelson. They could start for half the teams in the league.

RB: Steady Eddy. Not flashy, will average around four yards per carry, and will have only a couple runs over 40 yards. But Grant will be dependable, not lose yards or fumble, and will end up with around 1200 yards on the ground. Again.

QB: Approaching elite with Montana like accuracy and moxie; but still has to show he can take over a game and win one on guts alone. Honorable mention is not losing yards when a play isn’t there.

OL: Maybe the steadiest in years with backups staying in one spot. Still unsure about the age of the tackles or the LG.

Offense: Not worried. Like last year, they’ll put up a lot of points. Might still be in the Top 10 in sacks, especially if either of the Tackles go down.

CB1: Returning DPOY. Not worried

CB2: More worry. Williams is talented, but doesn’t have a lot of starting experience. Harris is still recovering from offseason surgery.

CB3: A lot of worry. Not any experience here; though both Lee and Underwood have talent.

FS: No worry. Collins is coming off his second consecutive pro-bowl and may be the most underrated safety in the league.

SS: The options are either a ballhawking rookie without experience or a knack for big hits or an enforcer safety who can’t stay on the field due to injury. If the former with Burnett, GB will easily lead the league in interceptions (and possibly be up there for big plays given up). If the latter, I just hope Bigby can stay healthy.

LOLB: Matthews will be effective, but likely not as effective as last year. Teams will be daring the Packers to effectively blitz them from somewhere else and will be doubling Clay constantly. He’ll still be one of the top 3 defenders on the team.

WILB: Barnett will be a year more removed from knee surgery and just as effective as always

SILB: AJ Hawk will be again reliable and steady. If only the young members of the OL and secondary could be this reliable

ROLB: Big question mark. The penciled starter Jones has been out since the first day of camp with a bruised back. He flashed as a rookie taking over from Kampman but as a fan I have no idea if his ceiling is high enough to be consistently effective year long

DE1: Jenkins is possibly the most underrated DLineman in the game. Always effective and a beast. Does tend to wear down as the season progresses and get held by the Steelers OL while the Steelers’ QB throws a game winning TD.

DE2: Pickett is the Packers’ franchise player. The staff moved him to the end after playing the nose all last year. Waiting to see the effectiveness before concluding.

NT: Raji was a top 10 pick in the draft last year. Has definitely flashed with great quickness and strength. Still waiting to see it consistently though.

Defense: I expect growing pains. I think there are still holes in the defense, but there are enough high powered players to compensate.

Her: One of the guys I like to listen on Tuesdays because they talk a lot of pro football, says Rodgers is going to have a breakout year this year.

Me: How were the last two years for Rodgers not break out years? He’s the first QB in NFL history to throw for over 4k yards in his first two years. GB set a franchise record for offense last year. He currently is the all time NFL leader in pass rating over Steve Young. I read he’s the only player to throw for 30TDs or more, 7INTs or less, and run for 5TDs. If Rodgers has a “break out” year on top of that, I expect him to runaway with the MVP and have people no longer question who the best QB is in the NFL (which I don’t think will happen). I think he’ll continue to get better and refine his game, but to “break out” is a misnomer because he already has.

Now, some of my summaries are just opinions that I know people will vehemently disagree with. So disagree away. I also know that some of it is just respouting things I've heard elsewhere. In those cases, yes, I am no better than a parrot since I have nothing except words on the internet to form an opinion. So vilify away.

On your marks, get set...

HarveyWallbangers
08-04-2010, 10:48 AM
I liked your takes. I'm not convinced Matthews won't be more effective though. He just has the look of a stud. His suddenness off the ball is ridiculous. If they are able to move him around more, offenses will have a harder time keying on him. We may have a 13-15 sack guy. Also, remember that he didn't start the first few games last year, so I see his sack numbers going up.

Tony Oday
08-04-2010, 10:53 AM
I like the individual breakdown of the players talent but not how that would play out on field.

Example: The WR Corp

With Finley poised for a huge year, DD not losing a step, Jennings being a huge deep threat and the two younger guys battling it out, is there a real chance that any of them dont show up in a game? I think GJ is getting doubled more and will allow the others to step up.

Guiness
08-04-2010, 06:03 PM
I especially concur with your comment on how could Rodger's last two years not be breakout years?

If they weren't, and this year is, I can't wait to see what he does!!!!!

Brandon494
08-04-2010, 07:00 PM
What happened to the FBs? :D

Nice breakdown....damn am I ready for the season to start.

Smidgeon
08-04-2010, 09:03 PM
What happened to the FBs? :D

Nice breakdown....damn am I ready for the season to start.

I thought about the FBs, but couldn't think of anything relevant to say. So I didn't say anything at all. I think the OL will have more to do with the success of the running game than the FB will. And I'm not sure any of them offer more as receivers than any of the TEs or RBs.

RashanGary
08-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Solid breakdown. Not a lot of weak spots.

Playmakers:

Woodson
Rodgers
Collins
Matthews
Finley
Jennings

I think the team is solid enough overall and has enough playmakers to be very serious competitors.

Fritz
08-04-2010, 09:19 PM
If the "her" is your girlfriend or wife, you are a lucky man. Talkin' football with your woman. Packer football. How cool would that be?

Scott Campbell
08-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Is it just me, or do we have a lot less than usual to worry about this year?

TravisWilliams23
08-05-2010, 09:20 AM
My two biggest concerns are the offensive line and the kicking game.

A new punter and Crosby's misses last year leave a big ? for a super year.
Reports from camp so far have Mason missing both left and right.
I'd hate to be MM and have to adjust my game plan because I couldn't count on my special teams to perform at a high level.

Until I actually see the offensive line keep A-rod upright and opening holes for Grant, I'll reserve my optimism for a super year.

Scott Campbell
08-05-2010, 09:22 AM
My two biggest concerns are the offensive line and the kicking game.

A new punter and Crosby's misses last year leave a big ? for a super year.
Reports from camp so far have Mason missing both left and right.
I'd hate to be MM and have to adjust my game plan because I couldn't count on my special teams to perform at a high level.

Until I actually see the offensive line keep A-rod upright and opening holes for Grant, I'll reserve my optimism for a super year.

My biggest concern is the D-line, but I agree with both your points. Though I'm not sure if Crosby's issues are just part of breaking in new holders.

mmmdk
08-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Packers are good with potential to be great this season; Packers have a lot stars and good starters but those starters that are in question, they are really a liabilty: CB2, SS, OLB2, OL depth, RB depth, K, P, KR, ST aces.

Still, Packers will be fun to watch!

Tony Oday
08-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Packers are good with potential to be great this season; Packers have a lot stars and good starters but those starters that are in question, they are really a liabilty: CB2, SS, OLB2, OL depth, RB depth, K, P, KR, ST aces.

Still, Packers will be fun to watch!

Disagree on CB2 but not CB3...Tramon is a stud
Agreed on SS
OLB2 not concerned with, Jones and Pop will be good there
what RB depth ;)
Crosby needs to kick ass along with whoever punts

woodbuck27
08-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Awesome breakdown and I think the Pack will be really good. My concern. The CB's and ST's. Our team just has too much on offense to sputter. The team will determine it's status this year, depended on how it takes on the games Vs the Vikings. Both the Pack and Vikings ( with Brett Favre by the way ) will fight a close battle for the NFCN. Both wiill make the playoff as well.

Aaron Rodgers Vs Brett Favre the real key to Packer success in the regular season. In the playoffs it will come down to which team has better ovderall health. Depth the key there. We also need another command perfdormance fr. Charles Woodson. We need Aaron Rodgers to not be so intense or determined to make a play when it's better not to take a large loss of yards when scrambling. Rodgers only has to demonstrate a tad more maturity and cool. He is a great QB already.

Favre Vs Rodgers = A Great Story ongoing. Stay tuned NFL fans. Favre looked awesom and really ready on the tube this afternoon on Sportscenter. He's not even close to retirement.He knows just what he needs to do to last the long season and reduce wear and tear.

No chance he doesn't play this season and little chance he doesn't start behind center. Believe that. 8-)

I cannot wait till the NFL gets to ROCK again. Bring it on. :D

GO PACK GO!!

Scott Campbell
08-05-2010, 02:33 PM
He knows just what he needs to do to last the long season and reduce wear and tear.

Less abrasive hand lotion?