PDA

View Full Version : Packer TC Buzz - fr. Wed. 2 Aug. 2006 Practice.

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Aaron Rogers - Stays Strong

Backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers followed up a strong day on Tuesday with another one Wednesday. During team drills, he hit both Chris Francies and Vince Butler on similar sideline go routes with well-placed throws that beat good coverage.

Francies made a nice diving catch on his play, drawing a loud cheer from the fans along the Oneida Street fence.

"I think he has a complete understanding of what we're trying to do on offense, a complete understanding of his role as far as his individual responsibilities, as far as footwork and reads and things like that," McCarthy said.

"The next step he needs to make is just play with a little more urgency. I think you're seeing signs of that every day. He made three throws last night that are as good as you'll see, and he just needs to continue to do that on a daily basis."

Nick Barnett remains lone LBer in DIME

Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders has plans to use first-round draft pick A.J. Hawk in some third-down situations, but veteran Nick Barnett has worked almost exclusively as the lone linebacker in the dime defense.

That's a role Barnett, the starting middle linebacker since his rookie season of 2003, has held all three of his NFL seasons. Hawk has lined up as the No. 1 weak-side linebacker in the base defense but hasn't seen any time as the dime linebacker. Fellow rookie Abdul Hodge has worked as the dime linebacker with the second-string defense.

"We'll work A.J. some in there." Sanders said.

Jason Horton moves up

The Packers wouldn't have put up with Jason Horton's vast injury history if they didn't think he could help them. The third-year cornerback, who has battled shoulder problems and a bout with sarcoidosis, the same condition that contributed to Reggie White's death, has moved up the depth chart.

On Wednesday, he got all the reps in the No. 1 defense as the dime (sixth) defensive back, ahead of second-year cornerback Mike Hawkins. Horton also worked ahead of Hawkins in the base alignment with the No. 2 defense.

"He's a very talented individual," Sanders said.

"He's just got to stay healthy and get his reps and eliminate some of the things that have been hindering him. He's made some plays the last couple of days."

NEW SCOUT

Dorsey Levens, a Packers running back from 1994-'01, is spending the rest of training camp working in the club's pro personnel department under director Reggie McKenzie. It's an opportunity for Levens to determine if scouting could become his life's work. Levens, 36, played for Philadelphia in Super Bowl XXXIX but was out of football all of 2005. "I pretty much stayed in shape last year," Levens said. "I was still getting calls. After the season I was like, 'It's a wrap. It's done.'"

Partial
08-03-2006, 12:49 PM
nice little report there woody. Good to hear grand things of Mr. Rodgers.

gureski
08-03-2006, 12:53 PM
That's really interesting that Levens is looking at being a scout. In the Superbowl years it was Levens and Bennett leading the ground game and now Bennett is a coach and Levens is looking at scouting. We had some serious knowledge and respect of how to play the game by many of the guys on those teams (if you think back on it).

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 01:08 PM
nice little report there woody. Good to hear grand things of Mr. Rodgers.

It's seeming better Partial with OUR #2 QB. We'll just have to see how he handles real game situations.

He can't freeze up. In the past he looked really shaky to me.

TIME. :arrow: :arrow: :idea:

HOLD THE FAITH - PACKERS IN 2006 !!

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 01:10 PM
That's really interesting that Levens is looking at being a scout. In the Superbowl years it was Levens and Bennett leading the ground game and now Bennett is a coach and Levens is looking at scouting. We had some serious knowledge and respect of how to play the game by many of the guys on those teams (if you think back on it).

PACKERS :arrow: PACKERS.

HOLD THE FAITH - PACKERS FUTURE !!