PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye Bigby?

hoosier
08-05-2010, 11:27 AM
According to Bedard's blog today, Bigby is having more ankle surgery and might be out for the year. That leaves Burnett as front runner at SS and Derrick Martin as likely 2nd stringer.

rbaloha1
08-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Another Drew Rosenhaus client screwed. Maybe Blackmon will also be a decent backup.

Its time for the next Sharper to start performing.

bobblehead
08-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't like this at all. I know everyone is on Burnett's jock, but I don't like starting a rookie at safety.

I agree though, Blackman is so athletic, lets hope his skill set translates to safety, and also that Burnett is close to as good as the hype.

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Sounds like the surgery isn't as serious as Bedard made it out to be. Hopefully. If nothing else, I like Bigby as a third safety.

Fritz
08-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Skin is ecstatic.

woodbuck27
08-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Sounds like the surgery isn't as serious as Bedard made it out to be. Hopefully. If nothing else, I like Bigby as a third safety.

Maybe TT could look for a seasoned ready safety?
Blackmon = injury. Burnett = inexperienced.

GO PACKERS!!

Brandon494
08-05-2010, 03:24 PM
I don't like this at all. I know everyone is on Burnett's jock, but I don't like starting a rookie at safety.

I agree though, Blackman is so athletic, lets hope his skill set translates to safety, and also that Burnett is close to as good as the hype.

Yea cause it worked so badly last year with Clay Matthews. I know its a different position but still Bigby is nothing special.

pittstang5
08-05-2010, 04:26 PM

Me too....but Collins was a rookie that started right way.

Lurker64
08-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Well, without Bigby I think we're really missing a safety who's a hammer or a missile in run support. That's traditionally what a strong safety does, but that's decreasingly the case in the modern NFL. Nowadays, offenses are fast and wide open where you really need both your safeties to be able to excel in coverage to be able to consistently stop the pass.

15 years ago, guys like Aaron Rouse and Taylor Mays would have been stars at safety since they're big, can lay the hammer, and can run really fast in a straight line. Nowadays, well... look at Rouse. Nowadays, safeties with CB skills are really valuable, since you can count on them to cover. Look at Antrell Rolle's contract or Earl Thomas's draft position if you need convincing; not only that but the Saints are moving last year's 1st round pick Malcom Jenkins to S.

I would have liked to have Bigby around for run support, but it sounds like it's just a scope so worst case scenario he probably starts the season on PUP and we get him back after week 6.

Fritz
08-05-2010, 05:07 PM

Me too....but Collins was a rookie that started right way.

Yes, but he didn't have a bang-up rookie season. Lots of people ripped on him as a bad pick that first two years.

bobblehead
08-05-2010, 05:08 PM

Yea cause it worked so badly last year with Clay Matthews. I know its a different position but still Bigby is nothing special.

Clay mathews started at safety last year?? Oh wait, even you are admitting that isn't what I said at all...nice comparison though.

Brandon494
08-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Well, without Bigby I think we're really missing a safety who's a hammer or a missile in run support. That's traditionally what a strong safety does, but that's decreasingly the case in the modern NFL. Nowadays, offenses are fast and wide open where you really need both your safeties to be able to excel in coverage to be able to consistently stop the pass.

15 years ago, guys like Aaron Rouse and Taylor Mays would have been stars at safety since they're big, can lay the hammer, and can run really fast in a straight line. Nowadays, well... look at Rouse. Nowadays, safeties with CB skills are really valuable, since you can count on them to cover. Look at Antrell Rolle's contract or Earl Thomas's draft position if you need convincing; not only that but the Saints are moving last year's 1st round pick Malcom Jenkins to S.

I would have liked to have Bigby around for run support, but it sounds like it's just a scope so worst case scenario he probably starts the season on PUP and we get him back after week 6.

Looks like Im not the only one who reads packerupdate.net :lol:

Anyway while Bigby is a better safety in run supports lets not forget we were #1 in run defense last season. We should be aight in that area without him and hopefully Burnett will help in area Bigby really slacked....pass coverage.

Brandon494
08-05-2010, 05:12 PM

Clay mathews started at safety last year?? Oh wait, even you are admitting that isn't what I said at all...nice comparison though.

Might want to go back and reread what I said.

Anyway Jairus Byrd (who should have won rookie of the year over Cushing)set a franchise record for the Bills last season with 9 INTs as their starting safety. While I don't expect Burnett to have that type of impact they do have similiar games and its not like Bigby was an all-pro safety. We'll be fine if not better with Burnett....you'll see.

bobblehead
08-05-2010, 05:14 PM

Might want to go back and reread what I said.

Anyway Jairus Byrd (who should have won rookie of the year over Cushing) had 9 INTs for the Bills starting at S as a rookie setting a franchise record. While I don't expect Burnett to have that type of impact they do have similiar games and its not like Bigby was an all-pro safety. We'll be fine if not better with Burnett....you'll see.

I hope you are right, I'm not hoping for failure here, but to my experience safeties need a year to learn the cues and calls of the NFL. If Burnett can do that I'd be thrilled.

wist43
08-05-2010, 05:48 PM
I'd be fine with a healthy Bigby at Safety... but when I say "healthy", I mean the 2007 Bigby that played like he belonged.

That said, I want Burnett to win the job outright... some of the reports I've read have said that he slow to react, lacks instincts, and does a lot of guessing, but I'm hoping he can put it together quickly. Safety really is a tough position to start at as a rookie; but it's been done, and Collins and Barnett make all the calls anyway.

Hell, I believe it was '81 when the 49er's started 3 rookie DB's... Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright (I think)... can't remember the 3rd guy - think that was the year they won their 1st SB?? :?: Too lazy to look stuff up :D

SkinBasket
08-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Skin is ecstatic.

And elastic!

This is the next best option to him dying as a result of sucking donkey genitals. I'll take it.

Fritz
08-05-2010, 07:57 PM
And Bubble Plastic?

Packers4Ever
08-05-2010, 08:00 PM
According to Bedard's blog today, Bigby is having more ankle surgery and might be out for the year. That leaves Burnett as front runner at SS and Derrick Martin as likely 2nd stringer.

Here we go again !

Say it isn't so ??

SkinBasket
08-05-2010, 09:47 PM

Here we go again !

Say it isn't so ??

Fuck yeah! Sur-ger-y! Sur-ger-y! Sur-ger-y!

mission
08-05-2010, 10:13 PM
slow to react, lacks instincts, and does a lot of guessing

See I've heard the exact opposite. Have any links?

Brandon494
08-05-2010, 10:34 PM

Was thinking the samething, that sounds more like Bigby.

CaliforniaCheez
08-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Don't panic. Bigby is getting the ankle scoped.

Medical technology has improved and he is not getting government Obamacare.

The early part of the schedule is easier things will be okay. It is 6 weeks until the season starts.

Brandon494
08-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Yea I hear he should be ready by week 1 if everything goes right which is great! As much as I want Burnett to start I really don't want to see Martin out there in case Burnett gets injuried.

mission
08-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Yea I hear he should be ready by week 1 if everything goes right which is great! As much as I want Burnett to start I really don't want to see Martin out there in case Burnett gets injuried.

Yeah Im definitely not in the JSO crowd that wants to send Bigby on down the road. He should be ready in time to fill in if/when he's needed and I expect him to compete. Hopefully Burnett steps up to the point where not only is he not a liability, but he's out there creating turnovers and being our this-year's Clay Matthews.

Of course that's best-case scenario, but that's where I try to start my preseason. It's usually downhill from there... :)

get louder at lambeau
08-05-2010, 11:44 PM

Or in case Burnett plays like a rookie. It's not a given that he's the next Hall of Fame safety quite yet.

Fritz
08-06-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm a little concerned here about this. Many of us expect that this could be the year, but the fact is that injuries can wreck a season. I know all the platitudes about the next guy stepping up and all that, but you get too many injuries and you end up with less talent on the field. That's just a fact.

So my hope is that the surgery goes well and that Bigby can be back at least in a limited role by the start of the season. I'm concerned about this defense.

Jolly's gone, Harris hurt, according to the JSO Mathews is sucking ass in camp so far, the linebacker corps looks quite unsettled. Hmmm.

But it's early. I am just fretting.

hoosier
08-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Matthews will be fine. He has all the tools and is not a slacker or someone who rests on his laurels after a bit of success. Jolly's absence might create some problems if Harrell is not able to stay healthy. If Harris can't recover his pre-injury form, they might be thin in the secondary.

I am not so worried about Bigby: even if he has a bit more talent and/or experience than either of his backups (Martin, Burnett), the fact is that last year his performance was mediocre and the defense still played well. If you replace an inconsistent Bigby with a still learning Burnett or a consistent but less skilled Martin, I don't think the difference is going to be noticeable.

Injuries can derail a season but if an injury to Atari Bigby does the Packers in, then I think that would show they weren't much a force to be reckoned with to begin with. Keep in mind what the last Superbowl team had to go through: lost their top receiver early in the season for the entire year, up and coming #2 receiver missed a month with a broken arm (leaving them with Beebe and Mickens as starting WRs!), Pro Bowl TE missed a month with a sprained arch, top two LT's lost to injury, starting MLB on IR late in the year.

get louder at lambeau
08-06-2010, 10:27 AM
according to the JSO Mathews is sucking ass in camp so far,

That's a joke about the JSO's negativity, right? I've only read glowing reports about Matthews so far.

wist43
08-06-2010, 01:02 PM

Was thinking the samething, that sounds more like Bigby.

I've read that in a few of places... but, the post-draft edition of the MJS has some scouts comments with that opinion, as well as the August 1st edition.

AFC personnel director, "There's some lack of focus, some lack of reactiveness. If you've got a deep crossing pattern or deep dig, generally people are running a deep post behind that. That's the safety's job not to jump that dig so the post doesn't go over his head. This kid may miss it 50-50".

It depends on what tape you watch, I guess... I have hope for the guy. As I said, I would like to see him win the job outright, not b/c of injury or b/c of his draft status, but b/c he has upside and can play at a high level.

hoosier
08-06-2010, 03:11 PM

That's a joke about the JSO's negativity, right? I've only read glowing reports about Matthews so far.

No, their blog had something negative about him today, they actually put him in their "thumbs down" category or whatever they call it. Apparently somebody saw him get stoned several times by Tauscher and the long list of wannabes at backup RT and decided to write home about it. If there is no news JSO will make some.

sharpe1027
08-06-2010, 03:28 PM

No, their blog had something negative about him today, they actually put him in their "thumbs down" category or whatever they call it. Apparently somebody saw him get stoned several times by Tauscher and the long list of wannabes at backup RT and decided to write home about it. If there is no news JSO will make some.

If Matthews didn't get the thumbs down, then that would have meant that the Oline would have been getting beat. It is pretty difficult to have both sides look great at the same time.

Joemailman
08-06-2010, 06:17 PM
If Matthews didn't get the thumbs down, then that would have meant that the Oline would have been getting beat. It is pretty difficult to have both sides look great at the same time.

Exactly. I'd be more worried if Matthews were making Clifton and Tauscher look bad than the other way around.

Gunakor
08-06-2010, 11:32 PM

Exactly. I'd be more worried if Matthews were making Clifton and Tauscher look bad than the other way around.

Rookie Marshall Newhouse was on the list of guys that beat Matthews. So was Breno Giacomini. That's what worries me a bit.

swede
08-06-2010, 11:40 PM

Rookie Marshall Newhouse was on the list of guys that beat Matthews. So was Breno Giacomini. That's what worries me a bit.

In telephone booths and 1:1 drills those guys have the advantage.

mission
08-06-2010, 11:42 PM
lol @ being worried about CM3

come on :roll: :arrow:

Gunakor
08-06-2010, 11:56 PM

Ever heard of a sophmore slump? Matthews wouldn't represent the first nor the last case.

The reports I've read out of camp say that Matthews has been less than impressive. But it's still a month before the season starts, so he's got plenty of time to shake off any rust. I'm not overly concerned.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Ever heard of a sophmore slump?

Have you seen him play? Unless he was beefed up on steroids, I don't see how he'll have a sophomore slump. Kid has elite quickness and I don't think I've seen a LB rush the edge with as much bend as he did last year. There were a couple of plays last year where he actually went around and under the OT. Kid is more likely to become an All-Pro than suffer from a sophomore slump, IMHO. It wasn't so much the stats, but what I saw from him. He's big, he's fast, he can rush, he can cover, he's mean, and he wants to be great.

get louder at lambeau
08-07-2010, 01:43 AM

Ever heard of a sophmore slump? Matthews wouldn't represent the first nor the last case.

The reports I've read out of camp say that Matthews has been less than impressive. But it's still a month before the season starts, so he's got plenty of time to shake off any rust. I'm not overly concerned.

The last thing I remember reading about him was talking about how many offensive linemen were false starting against him, and expressed amazement that even Clifton and Tauscher were jumping the gun when lining up against him. I think it was a day or two ago. Can't remember who or where.

Gunakor
08-07-2010, 05:24 AM
Have you seen him play?

Wow, that's the second time in a week I've been asked that question here @ PR. First time it was Atari Bigby, now it's Clay Matthews. I think I need to put out an APB for the imposter posing as Gunakor in the game threads over the last 2 years, because clearly Gunakor doesn't watch the games and therefore has no business participating in a live game thread. Shame on him.

Kid is more likely to become an All-Pro than suffer from a sophomore slump, IMHO.

I'd agree, except he's looked far from All Pro thus far in camp. The last week is what I am basing my opinion on, not last season. I'm not the only one to share that opinion either. Last season he was outstanding. He hasn't looked outstanding this August. I'm sure he's working his tail off to become that force we all anticipate him being, and perhaps he's one of those guys that can just flip the switch when it matters. But it's not a given. There is reason for concern IMO, and his 2010 performance up to this point has done nothing to alleviate that concern.

Patler
08-07-2010, 09:22 AM
I've read comments from Mathews and Greene stating that Mathews would use TC to work on new pass rush moves, because the relative few he had last year would soon be picked up on by good linemen. Could explain why he looks slower, as he works on moves that are not yet natural for him.

Remember, Mathews missed much of TC last year with his hamstring problem. I'm sure there are things he needs to work on. The switch from right to left reverses things. He used to go around and under OTs with outside moves to his right. To do so now is to his left. There will be a period of adjustment.

TC is for learning and perfecting. Especially with young players early in camp, I never get too excited if they have bad days. After all, they are practicing, and should be trying to work on their weaknesses.

swede
08-07-2010, 10:39 AM
I've read comments from Mathews and Greene stating that Mathews would use TC to work on new pass rush moves, because the relative few he had last year would soon be picked up on by good linemen. Could explain why he looks slower, as he works on moves that are not yet natural for him.

Remember, Mathews missed much of TC last year with his hamstring problem. I'm sure there are things he needs to work on. The switch from right to left reverses things. He used to go around and under OTs with outside moves to his right. To do so now is to his left. There will be a period of adjustment.

TC is for learning and perfecting. Especially with young players early in camp, I never get too excited if they have bad days. After all, they are practicing, and should be trying to work on their weaknesses.

One thing I saw about three times in defensive walk-throughs was an inside stunt with Matthews. If a quarterback doesn't see CM drop out of sight he will be unhappy to find himself with a face full of 52 coming up the zero hole about 2.2 seconds later.

Guiness
08-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Did Mathews run many stunts last year? Most of what I saw was speed/edge stuff, with a LOT of tenacity tacked on the end.

I see a lot of Greene's drive in him, and think whatever money was spent to get him as a coach was well worth it.

swede
08-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Did Mathews run many stunts last year? Most of what I saw was speed/edge stuff, with a LOT of tenacity tacked on the end.

I see a lot of Greene's drive in him, and think whatever money was spent to get him as a coach was well worth it.

I had the same question and I was hoping someone would know if stunting Matthews was a decidedly new wrinkle. Also, this business of him being on the left side and Chillar on the right...I sure wish I knew more about the reasoning. We will have to watch and see during the scrimmage tonight how much time Matthews is on the right/'left sides.

Joemailman
08-07-2010, 07:07 PM
The reason for moving Matthews to the left when Chillar is in may have to do with run defense. Chillar is the least physical at 236 pounds of all the OLB's, and may not be stout enough to play the run on the strong side.