PDA

View Full Version : Sam Shields

Brandon494
08-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Asked which of his younger guys has impressed the most, Whitt didn't hesitate to say Sam Shields.

"He's a very mature young man and has all the ability in the world. This is only his second year playing corner and he has a lot of learning to do but he's very serious, he understands the sense of urgency that it takes to be a good player and he's getting better every day."

I really hope we found ourselves a gem with this guy. Hopefully he'll keep up the good work and we'll be finally able to get rid of Bush.

RashanGary
08-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Yeah. My brother has taken him on as a favorite for no particular reason other than his speed I think.

My brother goes to just about every practice. He started noticing Shields breaking up a lot of passes. Also noticed he's doing a better job fielding punts than in OTA's.

I'm always skeptical of these projects. This is one of those high potential, low risk pickups that you say, "hey, 4.2x speed. . . . Who knows? But you don't expect much none the less.

Looks like he's a pleasant surprise at camp. Woodson had a few words about him. He didn't exactly say a lot, but there was a certain tone to what Woodson was saying, it sounds like he thinks this guy has a chance.

I'd love to see him excel, make the roster and make our whole corner situation more stable for now and especially for the long term.

ThunderDan
08-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah. My brother has taken him on as a favorite for no particular reason other than his speed I think.

My brother goes to just about every practice. He started noticing Shields breaking up a lot of passes. Also noticed he's doing a better job fielding punts than in OTA's.

I'm always skeptical of these projects. This is one of those high potential, low risk pickups that you say, "hey, 4.2x speed. . . . Who knows? But you don't expect much none the less.

Looks like he's a pleasant surprise at camp. Woodson had a few words about him. He didn't exactly say a lot, but there was a certain tone to what Woodson was saying, it sounds like he thinks this guy has a chance.

I'd love to see him excel, make the roster and make our whole corner situation more stable for now and especially for the long term.

If he is good at returning kicks and is below average at CB he would be a good pick-up.

Lurker64
08-05-2010, 04:27 PM
If he is good at returning kicks and is below average at CB he would be a good pick-up.

I'm actually more excited to see him be the gunner on special teams in the immediate future (looks like he'll take a little bit longer to be a returner) because that's how he made a name for himself at Miami. It takes a peculiar combination of speed, recklessness, aggressiveness, tenacity, and strategy to gun on special teams. Maybe he's got it.

Growing up, Steve Tasker was one of my favorite players in the NFL, and I always wanted a guy like him on the Packers.

RashanGary
08-05-2010, 04:37 PM
I watched him play some corner. My brother pointed him out. He's very good at jumping routes. He has a way of getting between the receiver and the QB without committing a penalty.

He has a long way to go, but he has shown flashes that maybe he's a really good defensive player.

RashanGary
08-05-2010, 05:08 PM
If I had to guess, I know it's early, but I'm going to guess he makes the team and becomes a good defensive player. Here's why. . .

I'm going to use my brothers argument because I'm buying it. After one practice, I said, "It's one practice. We'll see how he plays throughout camp and into the preseason". My brothers argument was that corners who are making plays on the ball is not an accident. My brother is quicker than me to jump to conclusions, but he had his hopes up on Shields after one practices.

Now we're a week into practice. Shields is still playing well on defense and he has that incredible speed that could make him special in a number of areas. I'm at a point where I'm buying Sam Shields. To use my brothers argument, he's making plays and it's not an accident. To expound on his argument, it's been more than one practice. It's been a weeks worth of practices and he's shining.

I'm on board.

Fritz
08-05-2010, 05:14 PM
This happens every year. He might be this year's flavor of the training camp. Then, if he plays well, he'll be stashed during the year, either not activated or maybe on the practice squad. Then next year is the year he gets to play.

Most of the time, these training camp flashes end up as just that. But I am always hopeful.

Brandon494
08-05-2010, 05:27 PM
This happens every year. He might be this year's flavor of the training camp. Then, if he plays well, he'll be stashed during the year, either not activated or maybe on the practice squad. Then next year is the year he gets to play.

Most of the time, these training camp flashes end up as just that. But I am always hopeful.

You know what else happens every year? An undrafted rookie makes an NFL 53 man roster. CB Bruce Johnson, also from Miami, was signed as a undrafted FA by the Giants last season and now he is their #3 CB.

BobDobbs
08-05-2010, 06:28 PM
The secondary battle is going to make the second half of the preseason games interesting. Shields is a big reason why. At this point I wouldn't mind if Harrell stinks it up at QB and we get to see a lot of punt returns and extended defensive work against the young secondary.

Fritz
08-05-2010, 07:59 PM

You know what else happens every year? An undrafted rookie makes an NFL 53 man roster. CB Bruce Johnson, also from Miami, was signed as a undrafted FA by the Giants last season and now he is their #3 CB.

But MY what happens every year happens more than your happens every year!

But believe me, I'd be thrilled if Shields turned out to be a player. The point of my first paragraph though was that even those guys take a year of seasoning. Most likely the guy won't play or play much this year if he makes the team.

rbaloha1
08-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Lets hope SS secures the kickoff return duties. Hopefully SS does not turn out to be another Chris Johnson (no not the Titans but a Sherman pick with blazing speed.)

Patler
08-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Lets hope SS secures the kickoff return duties. Hopefully SS does not turn out to be another Chris Johnson (no not the Titans but a Sherman pick with blazing speed.)

You mean the one who has been starting for the Raiders at corner the last few years? He actually turned out to be a decent cornerback, just needed some seasoning.

rbaloha1
08-05-2010, 08:59 PM

You mean the one who has been starting for the Raiders at corner the last few years? He actually turned out to be a decent cornerback, just needed some seasoning.

Yes. Actually CJ is okay for the Raiders. Why did the Packers release him?

Joemailman
08-05-2010, 09:02 PM
The Packers didn't release him. They traded him to St. Louis for Robert Thomas. The trade didn't work out, but at the time the Packers were desperate for a LB.

Joemailman
08-05-2010, 09:03 PM

I think most Packer fans will be happy if Shields can do enough to make Jarrett Bush disappear.

mission
08-05-2010, 10:15 PM

I think most Packer fans will be happy if Shields can do enough to make Jarrett Bush disappear.

:worship:

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Sounds like Mike "Neon" Hawkins

CaliforniaCheez
08-05-2010, 10:34 PM
No matter how good the Packers' roster is there is always an undrafted rookie that makes the roster.

More than anything the Packers are willing to give guys a fair chance. Deitrich-Smith did it last year beating out the 5th round pick.

Remember when Shields signed with the Packers he did it on his agent's advice for less money than was offered elsewhere. The reason was the Packers' reputation for giving players a fair shot at making the roster.

Is it Shields this season? We don't know yet.

But those extra 8 roster spots not active for game day are like practice squad players. 16 development players are a different part of the roster than the 45.

rbaloha1
08-05-2010, 10:49 PM

SS appears much more physical.

mission
08-05-2010, 11:35 PM

And he's that fast???

Seems to fit TT's MO of high upside/little production... guy toiled away at WR for a couple years and then starts learning how to be a DB. Is a crazy gunner, obviously has a nose for the ball, and has off-the-charts measurables. Just think with some NFL coaching what he could be...

Him and Porter have me in their UDFA corner this camp. Those are my guys!

bobblehead
08-05-2010, 11:43 PM

But MY what happens every year happens more than your happens every year!

But believe me, I'd be thrilled if Shields turned out to be a player. The point of my first paragraph though was that even those guys take a year of seasoning. Most likely the guy won't play or play much this year if he makes the team.

I agree with both of you, these guys usually flop eventually, but sometimes guys with great measurables develope....guys like Tramon Williams, or Cullen Jenkins, or technicians like Al Harris, all undrafted.

Of course, for every one that does, we get several Mike hawkins, or...hell, we don't even remember most of them.

I look for (and hope) Shields can take Bush's gunner spot away, and back up Blackmon as the returner while he gets a lot of practice time to develope and hopefully become the next Tramon....or Chris Johnson.

Fritz
08-06-2010, 08:53 AM

And he's that fast???

Seems to fit TT's MO of high upside/little production... guy toiled away at WR for a couple years and then starts learning how to be a DB. Is a crazy gunner, obviously has a nose for the ball, and has off-the-charts measurables. Just think with some NFL coaching what he could be...

Him and Porter have me in their UDFA corner this camp. Those are my guys!

Couple things: first, someone mentioned that in trading Johnson for Thomas, the Packers were "desperate" for a linebacker. I recall this being the case, and it strikes me that that word describes Sherman's position when making moves as a GM especially toward the end. Joe Johnson was another example. I think Shermy knew time was running out and he didn't have the time or patience to wait for picks to develop.

Secondly, I see Shields being called "SS" and being described as having a nose for the ball as a gunner. Does this mean if he sticks his nickname could be "The Nazi," or has not enough time and history passed for that to be acceptable?

sepporepi
08-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Al Harris was drafted by the eagles.

Fritz
08-06-2010, 09:02 AM
seppo that seems like a non-sequitar. Like me saying "blue is my favorite color" or something. What do you mean with that post? Not sure.

mission
08-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Bobble had a list of players including al Harris that he said were undrafted .. Seps was just correcting.

Fritz
08-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Oh. Thanks.

bobblehead
08-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Al Harris was drafted by the eagles.

Actually sort of correct, I was wrong, he was drafted by TB and eventually cut. For some reason I thought he had spent a little time on a practice squad somewhere, but he was drafted in the 6th round for sure (now that I looked it up).

I may have him confused with someone else, but I thought he was cut by Tampa and then on Oaklands practice squad, but according to wiki he was picked up by the Eagles right away.

hoosier
08-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Al Harris is blue. But he is not my favorite defensive back.

Fritz
08-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Our love for Sam "Hands of Steel" Shields may diminish after the JSO's account of his bumbling ways in practice.

On the other hand, Quinn Porter's stock seems to be rising. If I were Jason Starks I'd be looking for magic potions to heal that hamstring.

Brandon494
08-07-2010, 04:48 PM
That sucks about Shields not being able to catch the ball on kick returns. You would think he would have decent hands having played WR in college. Hopefully its just jitters and he'll be able to turn it around because his speed could be dangerous for us.

swede
08-07-2010, 06:20 PM
That sucks about Shields not being able to catch the ball on kick returns. You would think he would have decent hands having played WR in college. Hopefully its just jitters and he'll be able to turn it around because his speed could be dangerous for us.

Agreed about the nerves. He sure looked like he knew how to run with the ball once it was in his hands.

One funny thing is that the special teams coach is miked up over the LOUDSPEAKERS during his sessions so that he can teach players who are scattered all over the field. I'm not talking a little portable PA like Bonamego had. Everybody in Green Bay DePere and Ashwaubenon hears what Shawn Slocum has to say. One would think that an NFL special teams coach would have nuanced coaching points to emphasize when correcting his players. Maybe he could remind them to watch for the top of the ball to turn over and then set and cradle. You know, something concrete and positive.

But, no...

When Shields and Lee dropped kicked balls Slocum bawls, "CATCH THE DAMN BALL! KICK IT AGAIN! KICK IT AGAIN< AND CATCH THE DAMN BALL!"

My father-in-law might be good at special teams coaching.

Tony Oday
08-07-2010, 08:42 PM
In family night he can catch :)

CaliforniaCheez
08-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Do you keep him as #5 CB for potential or Lee who has shown nothing so far?

Lurker64
08-07-2010, 09:11 PM

Probably going to keep at least 10 DBs. There's room for a 6th CB, particularly one who plays special teams. Between Harris and Bigby, probably at least one of them is going to start the year on the PUP list.

CaliforniaCheez
08-07-2010, 09:18 PM

Probably going to keep at least 10 DBs. There's room for a 6th CB, particularly one who plays special teams. Between Harris and Bigby, probably at least one of them is going to start the year on the PUP list.

6 DL, 8 LB, and 10 DB's??

Joemailman
08-07-2010, 09:28 PM
There is probably room for 25 defensive players. I don't see more than 8 LB's worth keeping, so you can keep 10-11 DB's.

Lurker64
08-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Well, if we have both Bigby and Harris on PUP to start the year, we'll probably end up with something like:

Safeties: Collins, Burnett, Martin, Blackmon/Peprah/Levine.

CBs: Woodson, Williams, Underwood, Lee, Bell, Shields.

Brando19
08-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Well, if we have both Bigby and Harris on PUP to start the year, we'll probably end up with something like:

Safeties: Collins, Burnett, Martin, Blackmon/Peprah/Levine.

CBs: Woodson, Williams, Underwood, Lee, Bell, Shields.

You forgot Bush. When are you guys going to learn, he is not going to get cut? I wished it all last year, but nothing. I guess he impresses coaches with his ability to always be the first one down the field on Kick Offs. That's about all he has going for him, but I guarantee he makes the team.

RashanGary
08-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Rodgers said, "how does that guy not get drafted" after the family night scrimmage.

red
08-08-2010, 10:19 PM
heres the problem i see with shields

i don't see him being on this team when the season starts

al, c-wood, tramon, are locks to make the team. underwood is in year two and it sounds like he's looking good. and we all know bush has compromising pictures of M3 and TT.

so i see the team trying to stuff him on the practice squad, and if he goes there someone is going to pick him up. He was in high demand before he came to green bay and he's only proven his talent in camp so far, he won't last a minute.

woodbuck27
08-08-2010, 10:30 PM

Yes. Actually CJ is okay for the Raiders. Why did the Packers release him?

He had alot of problems staying healthy as I re-call CJ. He had talent otherwise.

pack4to84
08-09-2010, 08:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwyJJYfYkXw
Video of Sam Shields 98 yard INT return.

swede
08-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Some of the long plays on family night are due to the two-hand touch nature of the tackling.

That pick was impressive and the ensuing return was legitimate imo.

Scott Campbell
08-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Some of the long plays on family night are due to the two-hand touch nature of the tackling.

That pick was impressive and the ensuing return was legitimate imo.

I thought it looked like they let him just run with it. Nice catch though.

Pugger
08-09-2010, 11:47 AM

If you notice Flynn had a nice pocket there but he must not have seen SS or Shields made a great read there.

red
08-09-2010, 11:50 AM

wow, great pick

Freak Out
08-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Nice pick but #70 could have killed him on the return.

mission
08-09-2010, 02:25 PM
the 10x slow-mo probably has a lot to do with everyone looking like they had an angle on a 4.2 forty guy

Ballboy
08-09-2010, 03:52 PM
thought it was interesting that MM didn't really mention him as having a great night....then even heard this AM from the GBPG newspaper that he would be on the practice squad.

I figured he would take Bush's spot,

Tony Oday
08-09-2010, 04:34 PM
thought it was interesting that MM didn't really mention him as having a great night....then even heard this AM from the GBPG newspaper that he would be on the practice squad.

OR do we keep Bush and get rid of an FB? I think DB is where we keep the extra guy this year because of the Al Harris situation

red
08-09-2010, 05:20 PM

OR do we keep Bush and get rid of an FB? I think DB is where we keep the extra guy this year because of the Al Harris situation

how bout we keep shields, drop bush AND one of the 3 fullbacks, and carry and extra D-lineman.

cause we all know harrell is going down at some point this year

Brandon494
08-09-2010, 05:29 PM
IF we send Shields to the PS its no way another team doesnt pick him up.

red
08-09-2010, 05:31 PM

agreed 110%

too many teams wanted him after the draft. if we want to keep him then we have to find a roster spot for him

mission
08-09-2010, 05:57 PM

agreed 110%

too many teams wanted him after the draft. if we want to keep him then we have to find a roster spot for him

i really hope we do. id rather take a few more mistakes and a ton of upside than we-already-know-what-you-are jarrett bush.

no way does he sit on a ps.

Brandon494
08-10-2010, 09:20 PM
TomSilverstein: Sam shields picked off Rodgers on a back shoulder fade to James Jones in 1-on-1s.

PackersLive: Sam Shields is running the Wildcat in scout team. Must be doing a little on Cleveland and Josh Cribbs

Brandon494
08-12-2010, 02:51 PM
TomSilverstein: Shields with yet another INT. This time playing scout team against Flynn. Jumped route and gone for six. [via Twitter]

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2010, 02:57 PM
TomSilverstein: Shields with yet another INT. This time playing scout team against Flynn. Jumped route and gone for six. [via Twitter]

On this last one, I also heard that Shields knew what route was being run, so I guess you can take it for what it's worth. I hope he pans out, but we heard a lot of the same things about Mike Hawkins that we are hearing about Shields. We have to see these guys play in games to know more about them.

Brandon494
08-12-2010, 03:01 PM

On this last one, I also heard that Shields knew what route was being run, so I guess you can take it for what it's worth. I hope he pans out, but we heard a lot of the same things about Mike Hawkins that we are hearing about Shields. We have to see these guys play in games to know more about them.

Mike Hawkins was just fast, I don't remember him ever making this many plays in training camp. You are right about waiting to see him in games to see how he does but he looked pretty good during the Family Night as well.

RashanGary
08-12-2010, 03:47 PM

Mike Hawkins was just fast, I don't remember him ever making this many plays in training camp. You are right about waiting to see him in games to see how he does but he looked pretty good during the Family Night as well.

That's very true. Hawkins stood out as an athlete. Shields is standing out for his play.

I've learned a lot over the years, what not to put stock in. Athletes are great, but they have to be good at football first.

ThunderDan
08-12-2010, 04:26 PM

That's very true. Hawkins stood out as an athlete. Shields is standing out for his play.

I've learned a lot over the years, what not to put stock in. Athletes are great, but they have to be good at football first.

You might want to talk to Al Toon about that.

falco
08-12-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm rooting for him. But my guess is he is either PS or special teams only this year. Although some of the young guys saw playing time late in the season late year (regrettably), so anything is possible.

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2010, 10:53 PM

He made all kinds of plays in practice. One of our guys went to camp and said that Hawkins reminded him of Deion Sanders. We called him Neon Hawkins.

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2010, 11:10 PM
This sound encouraging though.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100812/PKR01/100812115/Packers-may-have-steal-in-undrafted-CB-Shields

What makes Shields rare, though, is he already has the Packers thinking they might have found a real player on the undrafted scrap heap. In fact, less than two weeks into training camp the receiver-turned-cornerback from the University of Miami has the organization as excited as it’s been about an undrafted rookie in the last 20 years.

“He’s going to be special one day,” said Joe Whitt, the Packers’ cornerbacks coach.

RashanGary
08-13-2010, 06:14 AM

He made all kinds of plays in practice. One of our guys went to camp and said that Hawkins reminded him of Deion Sanders. We called him Neon Hawkins.

It was me who said that and what stood out was his athleticism in drills. I didn't really know anything about football at that point in my life. That was what? 5 years ago?

Physically, he was impressive as hell. He was faster, quicker, longer than any of our CB's. Everything he did was more impressive than any other guy there when it came to pure athleticism.

But he wasn't making plays. That's where he struggled. I remember posters here, the ones who actually knew football, saying how lost he looked.

Lesson learned. Shields doesn't really have the same type of praise.

Over time, being wrong doesn't mean you give up trying to find the patterns in things or the dots that can be connected. It means you learn from your mistake, and see if you can do better next time.

I'll note your comparison to Neon, but this guy playing good football and I'll call that the big difference. This guy isn't going ot be inducted to Canton tomorrow, there's a long way to go, but I think, even if you disagree, that this guy is a different type of story than Neon Hawkins. There is reason for optimism, football reasons this time.

Fred's Slacks
08-13-2010, 06:14 AM

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100812/PKR01/100812115/Packers-may-have-steal-in-undrafted-CB-Shields

What makes Shields rare, though, is he already has the Packers thinking they might have found a real player on the undrafted scrap heap. In fact, less than two weeks into training camp the receiver-turned-cornerback from the University of Miami has the organization as excited as it’s been about an undrafted rookie in the last 20 years.

“He’s going to be special one day,” said Joe Whitt, the Packers’ cornerbacks coach.

That right there tells me he's going to make this roster (barring an injury or huge off the field mistake). As long as he can contribute on specials in some capacity and it sounds like he can, I think he makes the roster.

Spaulding
08-13-2010, 08:35 AM
You can't teach speed, thus I'd be surprised he doesn't get at least a one year pass for the roster this year and then another off season to see if he can mature into a solid DB or returner.

get louder at lambeau
08-13-2010, 09:38 AM

That right there tells me he's going to make this roster (barring an injury or huge off the field mistake). As long as he can contribute on specials in some capacity and it sounds like he can, I think he makes the roster.

Sure sounds like it. You don't hear a position coach say "he's going to be special" publicly, and then watch the team stick the guy on the practice squad to often. Jarrett Bush and Co. better pick up their games; It looks like there's one less CB spot (and gunner/returner spot) available.

falco
08-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Doesn't sound like he can be stashed on the PS. Especially since there was high demand for his services after the draft, IIRC.

b bulldog
08-14-2010, 11:33 AM
SS is my favorite rookie, love guys from the U.

mraynrand
08-14-2010, 01:00 PM

It was me who said that and what stood out was his athleticism in drills. I didn't really know anything about football at that point in my life. That was what? 5 years ago?

And thus are legends borne...

Fritz
08-16-2010, 09:56 AM
You can't teach speed, thus I'd be surprised he doesn't get at least a one year pass for the roster this year and then another off season to see if he can mature into a solid DB or returner.

Can you teach hands?

Patler
08-16-2010, 10:07 AM
It's not just his hands. Even when he caught the ball he was tentative. He ran deliberately, and dare I say slowly? Good return men have a recklessness about their own health and well-being when they run. Shields didn't show that. His speed is no asset at all if he doesn't use it.

He has such a long way to go to be a return man that I don't see much contribution from him this year in that area, if ever.

Fritz
08-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Well, as I have pointed out, even the undrafted rookies who stick rarely, rarely play at all their first year. They are often the Sunday ineligible guys.

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2010, 03:00 PM

Physically, he was impressive as hell. He was faster, quicker, longer than any of our CB's. Everything he did was more impressive than any other guy there when it came to pure athleticism.

But he wasn't making plays. That's where he struggled. I remember posters here, the ones who actually knew football, saying how lost he looked.

Lesson learned. Shields doesn't really have the same type of praise.

Actually, maybe not from your reports, but I remember people saying he made plays. I think he even had an interception in the first or second preseason game. The bandwagon was full at that point.

That article makes me feel better about Shields though. The fans were excited about Neon Hawkins, but the coaches were more trepid. They seem to be glowing about Shields.

get louder at lambeau
08-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Well, as I have pointed out, even the undrafted rookies who stick rarely, rarely play at all their first year. They are often the Sunday ineligible guys.

This is what I expect too. Keep him on the roster, but I don't think he much playing time this year unless we have a couple injured CBs again.

Brandon494
09-05-2010, 08:27 AM

Second year in a row a undrafted CB from Miami makes it onto a team as the #3 CB. Hopefully Shields will have a good as season as Bruce Johnson.

Joemailman
09-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Shields is definitely doing what he has to do to give himself a chance to be successful:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/102298924.html

Sam Shields has played a lot in the nickel cornerback position and he said he expected to continue along that role this week. He said he was excited about the opportunity. “It’s a blessing, I just have to keep going forward,” said Shields.

He’s especially confident in working on the field with his roommate, safety Morgan Burnett. The two of them have been testing each other on assignments and schemes all during camp and by now, know each other so well that on the field, they can communicate non-verbally.

“It helps, we quizzed each other almost every night,” said Shields. “We talked to some of the veterans who helped us out and then we kept doing it. Plus we’ve got that bond now, like we’re brothers. And that’s what I like about Green Bay, we all help each other out. There’s nobody that’s isolated.”

In preparation for the week ahead and the opener at Philadelphia, Shields had just asked Charles Woodson on Monday afternoon to accompany him to the film room so they could study together.

“Just getting with him, it’s really going to help me out, come game time,” said Shields. “I just went up to him and just asked him for help, and he was willing to do it.."

Otherwise, “Don’t get a big head,” is the advice he’s heard around the team so far. “Just keep working.”

Tony Oday
09-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Love hearing that Woodson is taking ownership in the team and the young guys are listening and WANTING to be as good as the guys in front of them.

bobblehead
09-08-2010, 04:53 AM
Love hearing that Woodson is taking ownership in the team and the young guys are listening and WANTING to be as good as the guys in front of them.

Thats cool, but I like hearing him bond with another rookie even more. He and Burnett building a hard work relationship could bode well for our backfield for years to come. (and benefit them both this year).

Tony Oday
09-08-2010, 11:41 AM

Thats cool, but I like hearing him bond with another rookie even more. He and Burnett building a hard work relationship could bode well for our backfield for years to come. (and benefit them both this year).

Agreed but now they are buddies AND using a guy like Woodson to make sure that not only are they friends but they will know what they are doing! :)

Deputy Nutz
09-09-2010, 09:25 AM

Everyone is fast in the NFL, just having speed or athletiscm gets you cut. He has some natural instincts, otherwise there is no way you can go from being an athlete in college not playing regularly in the secondary to making an NFL roster and being in a couple of packages, unless of course Ted Thompson, and Mike McCarthy are as clueless as a retard in a concentration camp.

I think it is mistake to rely on this kids talents and potential and hope he flowers as the nickel back, not having proper depth in the secondary is really going to hurt this team for the next six weeks.

Can Shield make enough big plays to cover up a mess of mistakes?

pbmax
09-09-2010, 09:42 AM
It hasn't happened yet. Underwood supposedly is close to practicing. And despite what he showed in the exhibition season, I would bet he starts if they deem him healthy enough.

Joemailman
09-09-2010, 10:03 AM
I'd rather have Shields. Underwood strikes me as the kind of guy who will keep repeating mistakes. I think Shields is smarter, and more of a threat to make up for mistakes with a big play. It's not like Underwood is a veteran whose vast experience gives him a big edge on game day.

swede
09-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Underwood strikes me as the kind of guy who will keep repeating mistakes.

Do you mean we can expect him to hire another pair of grizzled vets to escort him back to his rented condo in Dells following a charity golf outing or do you mean he will pass a receiver to a safety who is not in position to cover?

retailguy
09-09-2010, 12:15 PM

Do you mean we can expect him to hire another pair of grizzled vets to escort him back to his rented condo in Dells following a charity golf outing or do you mean he will pass a receiver to a safety who is not in position to cover?

both.

retailguy
09-09-2010, 12:16 PM
I'd rather have Shields. Underwood strikes me as the kind of guy who will keep repeating mistakes. I think Shields is smarter, and more of a threat to make up for mistakes with a big play. It's not like Underwood is a veteran whose vast experience gives him a big edge on game day.

Had I drafted the Eagles slot receiver, I think I'd be starting him over anyone else on my team.

Shields has promise but is very very raw. Mistakes are going to happen, and I hope that he has safety help, because he's gonna need it.

hoosier
09-09-2010, 12:23 PM

Had I drafted the Eagles slot receiver, I think I'd be starting him over anyone else on my team.
Shields has promise but is very very raw. Mistakes are going to happen, and I hope that he has safety help, because he's gonna need it.

When the Packers go to nickel I would expect that Woodson frequently slides over to the slot receiver. That puts him in a position to blitz and freelance more effectively as well. Bush/Underwood will probably get the flanker more often than not.

ThunderDan
09-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Per Eagles website #1 and #2 WR are: Jeremy Maclin and DeShawn Jackson. Numbers 3-5 are Hank Baskett, Jason Avant and Riley Cooper. Baskett and Avant combined for 45 rec in 2009 and Cooper is a 5th round pick out of Florida.

I am not that worried that the slot receiver is going to beat us this week with Kolb finally being handed the starting job.

That being said if I was PHI I would definitely challenge the Packers secondary all day long. If Woodson and Williams can contain Maclin and Jackson it would allow either Collins or Burnett to shade to the nickle's side of the field and help.

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm almost of the mind that you don't designate Woodson as the slot guy in this game. You put Woodson on Jackson. You put Williams on Maclin. You put Shields on Baskett or Avant. You put Chillar on Celek.

bobblehead
09-09-2010, 02:24 PM

I mentioned in that gameday thread that Underwood did his job and Burnett was out of position, but I don't recall anyone else saying a word....I'm glad someone was watching the same game I was.

hoosier
09-09-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm almost of the mind that you don't designate Woodson as the slot guy in this game. You put Woodson on Jackson. You put Williams on Maclin. You put Shields on Baskett or Avant. You put Chillar on Celek.

I could see assinging Woodson to Jackson on a frequent basis. But if you stick to putting him on their most dangerous receiver every play then you take away the most dynamic aspect of Woodson's game.

mission
09-13-2010, 08:33 PM
From a production standpoint, Kyle Wilson is giving up a lot more than Shields did yesterday. Yes he looked stupid on that TD, but it was one play.

mission
09-13-2010, 08:39 PM
We shoulda got Cromartie. Then we'd have two Bush's.

Fritz
09-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Two bushes - is that a man's fantasy?

retailguy
09-13-2010, 09:40 PM

Or his own personal hell.

Joemailman
09-13-2010, 09:47 PM

Too bad Bretsky's not here to answer that.

pbmax
09-13-2010, 09:50 PM
You have lost me here. :oops:

Isn't Cromartie the father of seven children and the subject of this fantastic chat room screen grab?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222043

mission
09-13-2010, 09:59 PM

Isn't Cromartie the father of seven children and the subject of this fantastic chat room screen grab?

Sorry. Just all the flags he drew tonight.

pbmax
09-13-2010, 10:33 PM

Sorry. Just all the flags he drew tonight.
Gotcha. And it was well worth the confusion. That chat room joke for Cromartie was worth a re-read.