PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Chillar to start over Brad Jones?

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a possibility. Wonder if they might go with Matthews, Hawk, Barnett, Chillar in the base defense with Jones, Chillar, Barnett, Matthews in the dime? Or maybe becomes full-time ROLB?

Brad Jones played second-string ROLB, even in base, behind Brandon Chillar. "We’re not giving the job to Brad; we’re not giving it to Brandon," McCarthy said. "Availability is the No. 1 component of being on the field, and Brad’s had an issue with that the beginning of last year and the beginning of this year. So we’ve got a healthy competition. We like the rotation now that’s been created with Brandon over there."

Brandon494
08-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Healthy competition...I like that. We have no depth at OLB so I like the move even if he doesnt start.

rbaloha1
08-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Lets get the 4 best lb on the field even if it includes Hawk.

CaliforniaCheez
08-05-2010, 10:52 PM
There will be experimentation during the exhibition season.

The best combination will be on the field.

The only guys without much competition are the QB's and to a lesser extent
LS and PK.

The final roster is going to be very good.

Joemailman
08-05-2010, 11:22 PM
I've been thinking for a while that the Packers may only keep 8 LB's. Having a guy like Chillar who can play both inside and outside certainly helps in that regard. Still think Jones will be the starter though, with Chillar playing a number of different roles.

mission
08-05-2010, 11:24 PM
I like the idea of Chillar at OLB. Not just for the obvious reasons, but just that they're showing some flexibility as a staff and that's something we've kind of complained about in the past (defensively). Getting Chillar outside also frees up some snaps in the middle and gives Bishop a chance to get on the field in situations that best fit his skillset.

I think it's brilliant and imagine both of them to get a big chunk of snaps. We need to be thinking a bit more outside of the box to get these guys in a position to succeed -- no one can question the talent... no more 50 point games. At that point, it's a matter of just getting outcoached. </tangent>

get louder at lambeau
08-05-2010, 11:33 PM
I like the idea of Chillar at OLB. Not just for the obvious reasons, but just that they're showing some flexibility as a staff and that's something we've kind of complained about in the past (defensively). Getting Chillar outside also frees up some snaps in the middle and gives Bishop a chance to get on the field in situations that best fit his skillset.

I think it's brilliant and imagine both of them to get a big chunk of snaps. We need to be thinking a bit more outside of the box to get these guys in a position to succeed -- no one can question the talent... no more 50 point games. At that point, it's a matter of just getting outcoached. </tangent>

I with you, mission. Even though you owe me $20.

More of this-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcF-2VfMFSo

bobblehead
08-05-2010, 11:47 PM
I was pimping the "chillar at OLB" in the offseason, but he got zero work there. Its starting to look like chillar is the spitz of the defense. He can't quite unseat any starters, but is a huge value for versatility as a backup.

No secret I'm a fan, just ask waldo, but he has to TAKE a starting job away at some point or he is simply a decent player....nice to have, but expendable in the right situation.

pack4to84
08-06-2010, 06:52 AM
When I was at practice. I was watching Chillar at OLB. I thought he looks natural there. He has the ideal height for a OLB. I also notice that Bishop was playing both Hawks and Barnett's position during drills.

On a different forum under topic "who will have a breakout season 2010" I choose Chillar. After watching practice I think he could cause a lot of havoc at OLB. The key to 3-4 defense is pressure. Making the QB get rid of the ball quick. Once the QB rhythm is change to get it off quick then the 3-4 defense tightens up zones and get INT's.

Saying all this make sense why they moved Matthews to the other side. Having your best pass rusher rushing right in the eyes of the QB. Would get the QB to release the ball faster seeing him. Also having your best pass rusher go normal against the less athletic Tackle. He should get more pressure's.

hoosier
08-06-2010, 08:16 AM
I have been assuming that moving Matthews to the left side was a temporary thing so that he could get used to playing on the other side in Capers's scheme. It seems very likely to me that he will be spending most of his time weakside when the regular season starts.

Fritz
08-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Did anyone who's been to practices come to the same conclusion about Clay Mathews that the JSO did: that he's sucking in practice?

This could be a concern. I hope he has not lost his edge and drive because he was so good last year.

pack4to84
08-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Did anyone who's been to practices come to the same conclusion about Clay Mathews that the JSO did: that he's sucking in practice?

This could be a concern. I hope he has not lost his edge and drive because he was so good last year.To me it looked like he wasn't going full speed. I didn't see one on one's, but look like he was trying to be assignment sure during practice. Remember he can't touch QB so you can't go full out anyways.

Think about it this way. The QB dummy stands about 3/4 yards behind QB so the angle is wrong for a Rusher trying to get QB. QB would say to Rusher I would have stepped up in the pocket so I would have gotten the pass off anyways. I don't just stand their. So a rusher can't go full out during practice.

pbmax
08-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Capers said in the wrap up for Thursday that they wanted to get a look at Chillar at the position when asked the reason for the change. He has liked what he has seen. That seems to take it a notch beyond McCarthy's availability mention.

If true, I would like to take credit for this idea since I first espoused it last summer. No, I had no idea what I was talking about, but I am claiming it as my own.

On the other side of the ball, Colledge is now looking like the front runner for LG according to JSO/Silverstein as Barbre and Spitz have been splitting reps at other positions. No mention of Lang. This after at least two practices of Colledge getting pummeled in pass protection drills according to Bedard and PackersLive in their blog. This proves two things: reporters know no more than we do (or are very gullible) and LG might look like 2007 all over again if we are lucky. But probably not much better.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Mattews, Barnett, Hawk, and Chillar are all first rounders.....You would think this unit would be destorying the league. :)

Patler
08-06-2010, 06:10 PM
I've been thinking for a while that the Packers may only keep 8 LB's. Having a guy like Chillar who can play both inside and outside certainly helps in that regard.

Until Chillar is the one that gets hurt. Suddenly, you are short everywhere! :lol:

Smidgeon
08-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Mattews, Barnett, Hawk, and Chillar are all first rounders.....You would think this unit would be destorying the league. :)

So are Raji, Pickett, and Harrell.

EDIT: And Chillar was a fourth round pick of the Rams.

packerbacker1234
08-06-2010, 07:51 PM
I think it's temporary. Jones just has been hurt at the begining of camp, and based on his flashes last year, he'll get a shot to earn that starting spot back. Not saying we wont see more a rotation, but that really comes down to how well Hawk plays. He CANNOT play like he did last year, or we are going to see Chillar at MLB next to Barnett almost all the time.

Patler
08-06-2010, 07:52 PM

Amazing when you think about it

The first rounders on defense - Pickett, Harrell, Raji, Barnett, Mathews, Hawk, Woodson, all could be on the field at the same time.

The 7th rounders & less on offense - Tauscher, Wells, Driver, Grant, Kuhn, all could be on the field at the same time. Maybe Havner, Lee and/or Swain, too.

retailguy
08-06-2010, 08:17 PM

Amazing when you think about it

The first rounders on defense - Pickett, Harrell, Raji, Barnett, Mathews, Hawk, Woodson, all could be on the field at the same time.

The 7th rounders & less on offense - Tauscher, Wells, Driver, Grant, Kuhn, all could be on the field at the same time. Maybe Havner, Lee and/or Swain, too.

Hmm. So which group represents the underachievers.... :twisted: :P

bobblehead
08-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Capers said in the wrap up for Thursday that they wanted to get a look at Chillar at the position when asked the reason for the change. He has liked what he has seen. That seems to take it a notch beyond McCarthy's availability mention.

If true, I would like to take credit for this idea since I first espoused it last summer. No, I had no idea what I was talking about, but I am claiming it as my own.

On the other side of the ball, Colledge is now looking like the front runner for LG according to JSO/Silverstein as Barbre and Spitz have been splitting reps at other positions. No mention of Lang. This after at least two practices of Colledge getting pummeled in pass protection drills according to Bedard and PackersLive in their blog. This proves two things: reporters know no more than we do (or are very gullible) and LG might look like 2007 all over again if we are lucky. But probably not much better.

Easy cowboy, no trampling my thunder. You gotta bump the thread where you mentioned it if you want to take credit cuz I don't recall anyone but me mentioning it. Unless you were mocking me with that statement, then carry on.