PDA

View Full Version : Driver signs extension - packer until 2012!

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-06-2010, 05:58 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/100157209.html

Joemailman
08-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Congrats to one of the classiest Packers ever.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Was happy to see this. Hopefully we re-sign Jones soon also. Want to keep Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson, and Finley together as long as possible.

I also really like this because Driver is one of those guys that if he starts to decline in a year or two I see him being ok with taking a lesser role.

MJZiggy
08-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Yay Driver!

Joemailman
08-06-2010, 06:14 PM
It will be an interesting situation with Jones. He may get passed by Nelson this year in terms of opportunities. If so, I wonder if he might try to go someplace where he will have a better chance to start. I think TT will try to sign him to an extension before the season ends, but he could decide to opt for free agency.

Patler
08-06-2010, 06:17 PM
I thought TT never kept older players? :lol:

My God! Pickett 30, Tauscher 33, Clifton 34, Driver 36 all re-signed this year. Who is this impostor masquerading as Ted Thompson?

Smidgeon
08-06-2010, 06:47 PM

My God! Pickett 30, Tauscher 33, Clifton 34, Driver 36 all re-signed this year. Who is this impostor masquerading as Ted Thompson?

Plus he's traded up each of the last three years!

Brandon494
08-06-2010, 06:53 PM

TT knows what he is doing, I would love for those haters out there who were calling for his head to man up and admit they were wrong. :lol:

packerbacker1234
08-06-2010, 07:48 PM

TT knows what he is doing, I would love for those haters out there who were calling for his head to man up and admit they were wrong. :lol:

I'll be first in line when his plan produces a super bowl ring. Until then, it's all for nothing no? I like how he built this team, but "most" teams that win the SB are built not just through drafting, but key trades and key FA signings. What I am saying is, TT is a draft builder and that is great, but until we have a ring we can't say much. The last team he was with he got built up pretty good too, and they never got a ring. Thats what matters. This team does that, and I'll kiss his feat.

Patler
08-06-2010, 08:00 PM

Nah, couldn't be! He covets draft choices too much. He NEVER trades up, always trades down! :lol:

Patler
08-06-2010, 08:07 PM

I'll be first in line when his plan produces a super bowl ring. Until then, it's all for nothing no? I like how he built this team, but "most" teams that win the SB are built not just through drafting, but key trades and key FA signings. What I am saying is, TT is a draft builder and that is great, but until we have a ring we can't say much. The last team he was with he got built up pretty good too, and they never got a ring. Thats what matters. This team does that, and I'll kiss his feat.

Pickett, Chillar, Woodson .... sound like key FA signings.
Grant, trade-up for Mathews, trade-up Burnett .... sound like key trades.

The defense could include 5 starters acquired via FA signing or trades by TT.

Patler
08-06-2010, 08:11 PM

I've never ascribed to the "He's a failure unless he wins a Championship" philosophy for evaluating a GM in any sport. As long as the GM gives the team legitimate opportunities to win it, he has done his job. Too many uncontrollable things often decide an actual win or loss in playoffs, including officiating errors!

retailguy
08-06-2010, 08:11 PM

And you guys wondered why I was so content this season.... Sherman is really masquerading as Ted. Barring that, Ted's finally seen the light. :wink:

Ted needs to prove he can "get over the hump", after that, they'll be a few more people on board, I think.

This is Ted's year. There should be nothing that derails it.

get louder at lambeau
08-07-2010, 01:51 AM

Pickett, Chillar, Woodson .... sound like key FA signings.
Grant, trade-up for Mathews, trade-up Burnett .... sound like key trades.

The defense could include 5 starters acquired via FA signing or trades by TT.

Yeah, it's amazing that anyone still thinks that argument holds water when a Thompson FA signing just won Defensive Player of the Year. But that doesn't count for some reason, I'm sure.

PlantPage55
08-07-2010, 02:59 AM
Yeah, it's amazing that anyone still thinks that argument holds water when a Thompson FA signing just won Defensive Player of the Year. But that doesn't count for some reason, I'm sure.

I won't put words in 1234's mouth, but I have seen OTHER "fans" (specifically, the mental midgets in the JSO comments) write that TT just got lucky with Woodson because no one else would sign him as a CB.

Hilarious, but it's absolutely true.

swede
08-07-2010, 07:37 AM

I won't put words in 1234's mouth, but I have seen OTHER "fans" (specifically, the mental midgets in the JSO comments) write that TT just got lucky with Woodson because no one else would sign him as a CB.

In a sense we got lucky with Woodson. He was out there. No one else was showing him money. This league-wide lack of attention pretty much confirms that Charles Wdodson hit free agency with a reputation for having a bad attitude and being injury prone. We were lucky in terms of this set of circumstances. It gave Green Bay a chance to explore contract possibilities with Woodson's agent while the rest of us GM's were pissing and moaning that TT had f***ed up by allowing LaVar Arrington to get away, even though TT offered more cash.

Going on my memory--which is always a bad thing--TT signed Chuck to a short-term, big salary deal with little guaranteed. It was safe for us and face-saving and lucrative for him.

TT has been lucky.

He was lucky Mike McCarthy picked Alex Smith and 20 other teams let Aaron drop to us.

He was lucky when Charles Woodson sat without offers long enough to give Green Bay a good shot.

He was lucky this year when a top-ten left tackle prospect dropped to the 23rd pick.

He has been lucky, but if you go over the same stuff with a different mindset you can see how he has been unlucky also. Favre holding the team hostage, the spleen, the promising wide receiver that retired due to neck issues.

So you can make the case that TT has been lucky. But they always say that luck goes to the good player.

Fritz
08-07-2010, 11:24 AM

And you guys wondered why I was so content this season.... Sherman is really masquerading as Ted. Barring that, Ted's finally seen the light. :wink:

Ted needs to prove he can "get over the hump", after that, they'll be a few more people on board, I think.

I don't want to jinx anything, but bad luck in the form of injuries always is a possibility. Yes, I know, you're supposed to overcome that, but ultimately one or two key injuries, or too many injuries, means you have a less talented team on the field..

There are some good teams out there. My feeling is that a GM who gives a coach the talent to win and win big is doing his job. Whether the team actually wins it is not completely in any one person's hands. But the GM has more impact than anyone else, I think.

cheesner
08-07-2010, 12:46 PM

In a sense we got lucky with Woodson. He was out there. No one else was showing him money. This league-wide lack of attention pretty much confirms that Charles Wdodson hit free agency with a reputation for having a bad attitude and being injury prone. We were lucky in terms of this set of circumstances. It gave Green Bay a chance to explore contract possibilities with Woodson's agent while the rest of us GM's were pissing and moaning that TT had f***ed up by allowing LaVar Arrington to get away, even though TT offered more cash.

Going on my memory--which is always a bad thing--TT signed Chuck to a short-term, big salary deal with little guaranteed. It was safe for us and face-saving and lucrative for him.

TT has been lucky.

He was lucky Mike McCarthy picked Alex Smith and 20 other teams let Aaron drop to us.

He was lucky when Charles Woodson sat without offers long enough to give Green Bay a good shot.

He was lucky this year when a top-ten left tackle prospect dropped to the 23rd pick.

He has been lucky, but if you go over the same stuff with a different mindset you can see how he has been unlucky also. Favre holding the team hostage, the spleen, the promising wide receiver that retired due to neck issues.

So you can make the case that TT has been lucky. But they always say that luck goes to the good player.

You can make this 'he got lucky' argument about every GM in the NFL. When the same GM continuously gets lucky - at some point you have to admit its more than some kind of random factor such as luck.

pbmax
08-07-2010, 12:58 PM

But it does kind of put the lie to the factual basis for the acusation. Even when his critics concede he pursued someone, they explain it away by saying he didn't TRY hard enough, or offer ENOUGH money, or fails to be PERSUASIVE enough.

But their answer begs the question. In Woodson's case, they agreed with his value and position. Voila, signed. To do more than that is to overpay or play someone, possibly, out of position or with an incorrect skill set.

For instance, McGinn brought up Adalius Thomas in his interview with Ted today about improving LB depth and pass rush. Never does Bob mention that every team thinks Thomas is close to done and is asking too much money. And there is no consideration put into what position he would play. He has not played a LB position similar to what Capers would ask him to do since Baltimore.

By simply stating a list, McGinn is giving credibility to the approach of "just sign SOMEBODY" crowd. And that is how you end up with Seth Joyner. Or Hardy Nickerson.

rbaloha1
08-07-2010, 01:26 PM
TT's "luck" is from preparation and instincts.

Signing DD is a good move. Maybe DD transitions to the Packers coaching staff as well.

gbgary
08-07-2010, 02:21 PM
congrats to one of my all-time favorite Packers! i look for him to have one of his best seasons this year.

retailguy
08-07-2010, 02:39 PM

I don't want to jinx anything, but bad luck in the form of injuries always is a possibility. Yes, I know, you're supposed to overcome that, but ultimately one or two key injuries, or too many injuries, means you have a less talented team on the field..

There are some good teams out there. My feeling is that a GM who gives a coach the talent to win and win big is doing his job. Whether the team actually wins it is not completely in any one person's hands. But the GM has more impact than anyone else, I think.

If he's a "good GM" then to an extent he should be able to plan for some injuries. Really and truly, he should be done rebuilding and the time is now.

This team should win, and there shouldn't be excuses. They're over and done with.

Tony Oday
08-07-2010, 03:16 PM

If he's a "good GM" then to an extent he should be able to plan for some injuries. Really and truly, he should be done rebuilding and the time is now.

This team should win, and there shouldn't be excuses. They're over and done with.

The Patriots can't win without Brady, Colts can win it without Payton, Vikes cant win it because they wear purple, Pack cant win it with AR out.

Brandon494
08-07-2010, 04:54 PM

The Patriots can't win without Brady, Colts can win it without Payton, Vikes cant win it because they wear purple, Pack cant win it with AR out.

I think you meant to say Colts can't win it without Peyton but I know what you meant. :)

I think TT is one of the top 5 GM in the league and I don't really see us in the rebuilding mode. Just because we don't sign FA doesnt mean TT is rebuilding.

retailguy
08-07-2010, 05:01 PM

Can't? :?: Do you remember the 99 St. Louis Rams who lost Trent Green in the 1st game?

Tony Oday
08-07-2010, 05:31 PM

Can't? :?: Do you remember the 99 St. Louis Rams who lost Trent Green in the 1st game?

Yes CANT I didnt stutter. The Colts would be TERRIBLE, The Pats already tried it and failed, AR is out so is our offense Flynn is not taking us to the promised land and purple is the color of losers.

Tony Oday
08-07-2010, 05:32 PM

I think you meant to say Colts can't win it without Peyton but I know what you meant. :)

I think TT is one of the top 5 GM in the league and I don't really see us in the rebuilding mode. Just because we don't sign FA doesnt mean TT is rebuilding.

lol true it was supposed to be can't :)

When looking at FA what would really have helped us this offseason in the FA market?

retailguy
08-07-2010, 05:53 PM

Yes CANT I didnt stutter. The Colts would be TERRIBLE, The Pats already tried it and failed, AR is out so is our offense Flynn is not taking us to the promised land and purple is the color of losers.

How many Rams fans said the same thing in 99? Can't is a strong word. I stand by what I said. There should be no valid reason for this team not to achieve this year. It's time. Rebuilding is done. We're going to be great regardless of who gets hurt. Nothing wrong with Flynn. He led LSU to a championship and beat out Brohm for a job. He's a competitor. That's what you want.

Guiness
08-07-2010, 05:59 PM
While I do kind of think we got lucky with Woodson - while the broken leg cost him a season, it's not an 'injury prone' type - it's a damn broken leg! But I think it hurt him in the eyes of many. Too many missed games, people look at statistics when they shouldn't be. But no one in their wildest wet dreams thought he'd be what he's been.

But TT played his cards successfully with Woodson and Pickett, and less so with others (say, Vinateri). He's at the table, but you can't expect him to win every hand. But he wins enough.

CaliforniaCheez
08-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Extending Driver is a no brainer. Why wouldn't the team extend him?

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Extending Driver is a no brainer. Why wouldn't the team extend him?

I mean you never really know. Its not like this offense is lacking talent. I thought they could be saving money that driver is getting and give it to Finley, Jones, and Nelson.

Regardless it was I good signing and the right move to make.

packerbacker1234
08-08-2010, 01:25 PM
did someone say te pats ca't win without Tom Brady? Not sure what that means, being they went 11-5 the year he got hurt. The probem the pats had is they were in the AFC, where everyone around them was just a step better. THat season is what got cassel his current contract, and what proved that the team around brady is so f'in talented at the tie, that brady just needed to not turn it over and they go all the way.

It's almost the same today for the pats. THat WR, OL, etc is so good, any competent QB should dominate.

I like Tom Brady as a person, but I still don't know about him being "great". His rings speak volumes if they weren't clouded in cheating.

Peyton Manning has almost as bad of a history in the playoffs as Mr. Favre. There is a reason everyone as him pegged as a post season choker. Even the SB he won he pretty much played like a shit and relied on 200+ yards rushing and a bad sexy rexy to win.

Manning is a favre clone in disguise, but less exciting to watch. GREAT regular season QB, big choker in the playoffs.

As for driver, this makes me happy. Lets hope he can be productive every year of this extension.

falco
08-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I agree that Manning has a history of playoff choking, but probably not to the level of Favre. I think Favre takes the cake for boneheaded plays.

Manning put up a clutch playoff game against NE the year they beat the Bears in the superbowl. Came back from a few TDs down in the 2nd half, IIRC.

woodbuck27
08-08-2010, 10:36 PM
That is great news. I love the way he performs on and off the field. I pulled for him right out of the draft as his athleticism was too obvious. He always gives err. I can still recall his first TD as a Packer and over the years he's become my favourite WR, going back to Sterling Sharp.

GO Donald GO!

RashanGary
08-09-2010, 11:38 AM
How many Rams fans said the same thing in 99? Can't is a strong word. I stand by what I said. There should be no valid reason for this team not to achieve this year. It's time. Rebuilding is done. We're going to be great regardless of who gets hurt. Nothing wrong with Flynn. He led LSU to a championship and beat out Brohm for a job. He's a competitor. That's what you want.

Relax. All is good. The Steelers could win another championship, or maybe it won't work out for them. We could win a championship, or maybe it wont' work out for us. . . .

There is no amount of ordering your ducks that's going to guarantee anything in the NFL, no matter how good of job you're doing.

Ted's got this ship pointed in the right direction. Just sit back and enjoy what I predict will be several years of top level competitiveness. Hopefully we get a championship out of this great base, if not, Ted will move on and we'll try again with someone else. . . .

It's nothing to get our panties in a bunch about.

retailguy
08-09-2010, 12:20 PM

Relax. All is good. The Steelers could win another championship, or maybe it won't work out for them. We could win a championship, or maybe it wont' work out for us. . . .

There is no amount of ordering your ducks that's going to guarantee anything in the NFL, no matter how good of job you're doing.

Ted's got this ship pointed in the right direction. Just sit back and enjoy what I predict will be several years of top level competitiveness. Hopefully we get a championship out of this great base, if not, Ted will move on and we'll try again with someone else. . . .

Who has their panties in a bunch? Not me, that's for sure. We're going to the Super Bowl.

You should talk with Tony, he's worried about Rodgers getting hurt and the season getting derailed. That isn't the problem. One more time, if the OL holds up.... (and it BETTER).

Bossman641
08-09-2010, 12:22 PM

I agree. The GM can't control everything. There is a certain amount of luck involved. Knock on wood, but if some terrible injuries happened I would certainly have to change my expectations. I think it is unreasonable to expect the same result with Flynn at the helm as with Rodgers. Possible? Yes. But there is a reason that Kurt Warner's story was a one in a million thing.

Scott Campbell
08-09-2010, 12:25 PM

i.e.....................you reserve your right to call for his firing unless they finish first out of 32 teams. I think we get it.

Tony Oday
08-09-2010, 12:28 PM

Who has their panties in a bunch? Not me, that's for sure. We're going to the Super Bowl.

You should talk with Tony, he's worried about Rodgers getting hurt and the season getting derailed. That isn't the problem. One more time, if the OL holds up.... (and it BETTER).

WHOA!!! I just said if he goes down I dont think he will. I am defending TT because he has put together a ton of talent together. I think this team will win it all and I have never heard a team talk about it so much!

The Pats didnt get to the Superbowl and that is what TT is being graded on so Cassell didnt get it done on that line of thought

falco
08-09-2010, 03:37 PM

i.e.....................you reserve your right to call for his firing unless they finish first out of 32 teams. I think we get it.

RG, you're a little like a politician. You've played to one end of the spectrum (i.e. the anti-TT side) and now that he's obviously built a strong team, you've slowly been working your way back towards the center and hoping nobody notices... :lol:

Serioiusly, though, I think TT has built a team that should contend over the next few years. I'm guessing that 08 is going to be seen as an aberration due to injuries, transitioning away from Favre, the Favre drama, etc. That being said, anything can happen in this league (...now that's how you straddle the fence).

Tony Oday
08-09-2010, 04:32 PM

RG, you're a little like a politician. You've played to one end of the spectrum (i.e. the anti-TT side) and now that he's obviously built a strong team, you've slowly been working your way back towards the center and hoping nobody notices... :lol:

Serioiusly, though, I think TT has built a team that should contend over the next few years. I'm guessing that 08 is going to be seen as an aberration due to injuries, transitioning away from Favre, the Favre drama, etc. That being said, anything can happen in this league (...now that's how you straddle the fence).

TT is doing well unless we have a disapointing year then he sucks.

Brandon494
08-09-2010, 05:32 PM

TT is doing well unless we have a disapointing year then he sucks.

Only to the fans who have no clue what they are talking about. TT has done a great job cleaning up Sherman's mess.

retailguy
08-09-2010, 07:26 PM

Nah, I ain't no politician. Falco, you know I hate the guy. That hasn't changed at all. And Scott, NOPE, not doing this b/c I want Ted fired. If they tank and look like 2008, we'll see, but again, that's not what I'm saying.

Look, here's the deal. Reality. This is Ted's team. His fingerprints are all over it, from the personnel to the staff, to the coaches. No one can look at this team and say it is anything but Ted's team.

So, for the last 3 years, all I have heard is how great the team is, and how he's building it to win, and how I just needed to be patient. Well, now that we're here, I'm hearing excuses before we've even played a game.

I'm convinced. This is the year. This is Ted's team, he's set it up the way he wants. He's hired the coaches he wants, and delegated the authority to hire the rest of the staff to McCarthy. He's had plenty of time to run the staff and players off that he doesn't want.

So, for better or worse, I'm a believer. It's time to win. I don't want to hear the crap excuses about injuries. That's why we have backups. We get 8 starters go down like 2001, OK, I'll buy the injury excuse. But if a couple of key guys go down, no. Ted's got too much invested in this team for that. If he's the personnel guru that those here claim him to be (and I've always been upfront that I think this is the case, it's the rest of the GM job that I have questions about), he has provided adequate backups to take over.

His final job is rebuilding the OL. It better be right this time. If it isn't, it's going to decimate this entire team, and if that's the case, he ought to be run out of town, no questions asked.

End of the line, all bullshit aside, THIS TEAM SHOULD WIN NOW. No excuse not to. Really.

RashanGary
08-09-2010, 07:49 PM
If they're top tier competitors, whether they win the SB or not, Ted's done his job and won't be fired.

You're trying to set up a, "if we don't win the SB this year, Ted's a failure and should be fired" situation but the reality of what Ted has done, the Packers are going to be SB competitors for several years.

Like we've all been saying. Now is the time, but the beauty of it is, we have at least a 5 year window as SB competitors. The situation is even better than you're giving credit. You're giving it a one year shot and reality is, we're a top team in the league, young and have a boatload of money to spend.

Brandon494
08-09-2010, 07:57 PM
If they're top tier competitors, whether they win the SB or not, Ted's done his job and won't be fired.

You're trying to set up a, "if we don't win the SB this year, Ted's a failure and should be fired" situation but the reality of what Ted has done, the Packers are going to be SB competitors for several years.

Like we've all been saying. Now is the time, but the beauty of it is, we have at least a 5 year window as SB competitors. The situation is even better than you're giving credit. You're giving it a one year shot and reality is, we're a top team in the league, young and have a boatload of money to spend.

And I love it! :cow:

retailguy
08-09-2010, 08:15 PM

There are no "5 year windows" in the NFL anymore. That's not what "I'M trying to set up either".

End of the line, Sherman won for 5 years but never got "over the top". Winning for 5 years with no championship won't get it done.

Justin, I'm talking about THIS YEAR. We should win THIS YEAR. If the team really tanks you could build a case for management change. But that likely won't happen.

What I'm saying (and hear me clearly now) is that if our OL is not much improved, that "should" get Ted fired, (but it won't), he's had several years to "fix" it and has failed multiple times. Other than that, I'm not sure I'd fire the guy for a six win season. But I'd crucify the fucker if the OL sucks.

Hope that's clear now.

Scott Campbell
08-09-2010, 08:16 PM
I think the GM needs to provide the quality of players that can compete for the Lombardi. The rest is up to the coaching staff and the players themselves. I think Ted has built a perpetual contender.

retailguy
08-09-2010, 08:24 PM
I think the GM needs to provide the quality of players that can compete for the Lombardi. The rest is up to the coaching staff and the players themselves. I think Ted has built a perpetual contender.

This has been the "crux" of my complaint with Ted. You're calling him a "personnel guy", I'm fine with your definition. But he's the GM, and he's got the responsibility for the whole shebang.

Therefore, he's responsible for that coaching staff as much as he's responsible for the player selection.

He gets no "free pass" for that from me. If the coaching staff is wrong, and doesn't get the best out of the talent provided them, that's on Ted too as it's his staff and his selections.

He won't be able to keep this team together as a "perpetual contender". Can he set up another team to make a run? Sure. The real catalyst here is Rodgers. The team will always have potential as long as it has a star QB.

falco
08-09-2010, 08:50 PM
And if they duplicate last year? Strong season, but one and done in the playoffs. Should we start looking for a new GM?

RashanGary
08-09-2010, 08:50 PM
He won't be able to keep this team together as a "perpetual contender". Can he set up another team to make a run? Sure. The real catalyst here is Rodgers. The team will always have potential as long as it has a star QB.

And to be fair, if there's no excuse for any time of mis-step, there is also no other place to give the credit with something goes right. Aaron Rodgers being the top reason we'll always be competitive, all that credit goes to Ted.

falco
08-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Falco, you know I hate the guy.

To be honest, I didn't. I knew you were a skeptic. I didn't realize quite how strongly you felt.

falco
08-09-2010, 08:51 PM
So when Wolf built the superbowl team but year after year we lost the Cowboys in the playoffs..... should he have been replaced?

RashanGary
08-09-2010, 08:55 PM
And if they duplicate last year? Strong season, but one and done in the playoffs. Should we start looking for a new GM?

Honestly Falco, assuming we don't have bad injuries (either stars or many at one position), I do think we should expect more out of this team. I see RG's point that this is Ted's team. If he really has us pointed at greatness, there isn't much of an excuse for failure this year.

Injuries would do it for me. Other than that, I'd lose some confidence in Ted if we don't take a step forward. The way this team has come together I do think we should be expecting improvement from the team this year. We're not looking for a borderline playoff team. We're looking for a champion and only and up trend would make me think that's where we're going. Again, injuries are the wildcard, and that's for every team.

That is where I think we're going, but if it doesn't happen, I'll reshape my opinion for sure.

I think RG takes it a little far iwth the SB or bust talk and the injuries are no excuse talk. . . .

The big difference between why Sherman only had 5 years and why Ted gets more is Sherman took over a team that was peaking and had a lot of young talent and cap room. Then he tore it apart. Thompson took over a team that crumbled after 5 years of Sherman and has built it to be one of the strongest teams in the league from scratch (QB and all). Ted's going to get more time.

That said, I do think Ted has this team pointed to greatness. This year is going to be exciting, but if we don't win the SB, depending on the reason, it's probably not as big of a deal as RG says at the same time, there's some merit to what he's saying.

Damn, that didn't seem to make much sense. . . Am I arguing with you just to argue?

falco
08-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Am I arguing with you just to argue?

You??? Get out of here.....

Brandon494
08-09-2010, 09:39 PM
The big difference between why Sherman only had 5 years and why Ted gets more is Sherman took over a team that was peaking and had a lot of young talent and cap room. Then he tore it apart. Thompson took over a team that crumbled after 5 years of Sherman and has built it to be one of the strongest teams in the league from scratch (QB and all). Ted's going to get more time

Exactly!

Ask the most knowledgeable people in football and I guarntee you they will all rate TT as one of the top GMs in the league. Just because he doesn't go after some of the FAs some fans would like to pickup (myself included) doesn't mean he isn't a top GM. We have a great chance to win this year but like more SB champions we are also going to need luck. We aren't the only team thinking SB or bust this season.

Tarlam!
08-10-2010, 03:38 AM
Well, I'm sorry if I'm hijacking the bash Retail Guy thread, but I wanted to say how delighted I am that my favourite current Packer may actually do what my previous favourite Packers (#4 and Kampy) didn't; retire a Packer!

Well earned Donald. I doubt they retire your number, though.

retailguy
08-10-2010, 08:03 AM

I said over and over that there aren't any excuses for this team not to win. Then I pretty much said whatever happens he wouldn't be fired.

Again, the most glaring weakness on this team for the past several seasons has been the play of the OL. That was the only context I inferred even getting rid of Ted and my point was clearly mostly sarcasm, with my belief mixed in. Ted's got the most secure job in the NFL right now.

The rest of this is simply bullshit, it distorts the point I was making and takes everything, including the discussion out of context. I'm not playing today.

End of the line, this team should win this year. I can come up with no legitimate excuses why they shouldn't win. Since no one of significance is injured it's pointless to talk about the injury excuse. As I said, when 8 starters go down, circa 2001, I'll be on the injury bandwagon. Until then, I expect this to be a great season and I expect this team to win straight out of the gate.

ThunderDan
08-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Some of the posts in this thread are getting pretty ridiculous.

If we don't win now we are a failure? Unfortunately for the Packer (and every other team out there), there are 31 other GMs doing everything they can to improve their roster and win the Super Bowl.

By pure numbers alone the odds are against every team at the beginning of the year to win a Super Bowl. The best you can hope for is a GM to get the talent, a coach to get the guys in the right position to succeed and the ball to bounce to the right way during the season.

Tarlam!
08-10-2010, 10:20 AM
s it pure disdain that RG doesn't get taken by his word? All he says is that he expects a huge year, a 16-0 year with a win in Dallas in February and if that doesn't happen, the season is a write off.

I'm OK with that, especially after I know how I felt after the Cards loss. And every other loss for that matter.

Other than that, he wants Ted's head only, if the OL stinks it up. Again.

It's obviously not hard to pick a fight around here if such incredulous expectations are considered a line in the sand.

hoosier
08-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Some of the posts in this thread are getting pretty ridiculous.

If we don't win now we are a failure? Unfortunately for the Packer (and every other team out there), there are 31 other GMs doing everything they can to improve their roster and win the Super Bowl.

By pure numbers alone the odds are against every team at the beginning of the year to win a Super Bowl. The best you can hope for is a GM to get the talent, a coach to get the guys in the right position to succeed and the ball to bounce to the right way during the season.

Not to mention that quite often a team that was clearly the "best" team during the regular season ends its season with a loss. Think of Tennessee or NYG in 2008, New England in 2007, San Diego in 2006, and so on. In addition to talent, winning the SB requires lots of good luck along the way. The days of building a team that is simply head and shoulders above the rest, like the Pack in the early 60s or the Steelers in the mid 70s, are over. A SB win would be great but using that as the only yardstick for measuring a GM's success--or a successful season--is silly.

mraynrand
08-10-2010, 10:37 AM
It's hard for me to imagine Driver playing in 2012, but he is in good shape and might last that long. Thing is, there are a of other younger guys who may surpass him. Still, very good career for a high jumper.

hoosier
08-10-2010, 10:38 AM
s it pure disdain that RG doesn't get taken by his word? All he says is that he expects a huge year, a 16-0 year with a win in Dallas in February and if that doesn't happen, the season is a write off.

I'm OK with that, especially after I know how I felt after the Cards loss. And every other loss for that matter.

Other than that, he wants Ted's head only, if the OL stinks it up. Again.

It's obviously not hard to pick a fight around here if such incredulous expectations are considered a line in the sand.

If you could somehow replay the 2010 season 100 times, how many of those times do you think the Packers could be expected to win the SB? If they won it 10 times I think that would be a big success. 20 times would be phenomenal and would probably be more than any other 2010 team. By the logic you're using, 80-90 of those replays would be failures. I think you both asking too much and placing too much emphasis on the very end of the season. If the Packers have a great season but slip up in the NFC championship game or get beat by some other team that suddenly gets hot (think of the 2007 NYG), sure that would be disappointing but I wouldn't call the entire season a "write off" because of that one game.

mraynrand
08-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Driver was at the family night practice but didn't suit up. At first it might seem he was being a prima donald, but he was signing for the fans, so I doubt it. DD is cool with the folks.